Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riots in Eyre Square

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Seems like a riot is about to kick off in here too.
    Good, I haven't banned anyone in weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

biko wrote: »

We still on for that pint I'm buying ya some night in the beer tent when the Xmas market starts up again ya? ;) :P

Galway is grand.I just like other places more although this is the first time i ever tried to defend a place i've never been to in my life!

Go to bed :) you've worn yourself out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I am hearing what sounds like doughnuts is dun na corribe / gort na corribe

Sniipe wrote: »
    I am hearing what sounds like doughnuts is dun na corribe / gort na corribe

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8-4P1WPE-Qg&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D8-4P1WPE-Qg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

here! boggers! less arguing and more pitch forks/angry rants at students rabble rabble rabble!

tbh looks like harmless fun! bit of a nuisance in the youtube but not a bloodly riot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Ah sure firing bottles and pint glasses around the place never harmed anyone. They`re just having the banter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭forgotten password

up lieitrim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

This thread is full of people I imagine say things like 'it was a great day for the parish' unironically.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Did 'The Sun' write the thread title, as its about as misleading as one in a tabloid. A bunch of redneck gobsh1tes blocking one side of Eyre Sq isnt a riot.

Not The Sun. I just put a slant on it that I reckoned the official newspaper over in After Hours might have used.
    The Irish Daily Mail.

Says he with his thanks whorin quip at my expense.
    Your copy/paste is not strong.

Slap yourself with a week long ban there Biko. ;););)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 tom tom 55

your wrong. It is beautiful in so many ways. alot of famous people come from leitrim . so ya your wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭chipsdave

What an Embarrassment !! cringeworthy stuff .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Wreck the thread!

*Throws virtual bottle at biko*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Attica! Attica!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

On a side note after seeing some of the comments in this thread ive never understood the disdain the rest of Ireland seems to have towards Leitrim.

I've never understood the disdain any county in Ireland has towards any other county, it's a tiny country, we're all basically the same, and if you don't care about the GAA the "my county is better than your county just because, we're better craic or we make bread or something" pissing matches look borderline insane.

Anyway yeah, town was manky last night, was getting a bus out around ten and made the mistake that thinking at 9.45 on a Wednesday supermac's would be a take away place, not some kind of creche for drunks. God I hate students. And everyone. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

God I hate students. And everyone. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Would you have a moment to discuss the words of our Lord?

I was THAT guy in college, I hated students before I was in college due to working in a place that sold booze and having to deal with some their attitudes. While I was in college the hate was already there and rather than get fanned out by meeting some really great people, It ended up getting intensified when realizing what I thought was just a small minority of a-holes, it turned out to be a very large vocal minority!

So, I'm with you on the student hate but come on now, they are the life blood of Galway. The University is the biggest employer in the city, without students we'd be blah blah blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

I actually am a student :o a post-grad though, I'm probably just jealous that I can't be out trashing the place anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I've never understood the disdain any county in Ireland has towards any other county, it's a tiny country, we're all basically the same, and if you don't care about the GAA the "my county is better than your county just because, we're better craic or we make bread or something" pissing matches look borderline totally insane.

Fixed that for ya.

Personally I think it's due to deep-seated insecurity, probably caused by being told off for being bold (ie brave and courageous) when you were kids. People have to build themselves up by putting other people down and blaming "the outsider". County boundaries simply add to the list of possible ways of doing this.

Leitrim's not overly memorable - I've driven thru it a few times, I'm sure, but no idea of any difference between it and the sorrounding areas. But even having "counties" the size of postage stamps is madness. Having separate council chambers, elections, officials ... the whole machinery of government for 30,000 peple is such an ridiculous waste.

But the funniest bit .. I didn't even realise that those GAA jerseys in town yesterday were from Leitrim - I thought they were in Kerry colours!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Those colours are among the most popular
    GAA colours map

For anyone unfamiliar with the Leitrim Jersey, this picture was doing the rounds during the week.

A Leitrim fan scumbaggily rioting amongst other Chelsea fans with José Mourinho :P :D First London and now Galway, calm it down Leitrim ye mad yokes ye! :)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Fixed that for ya.

Personally I think it's due to deep-seated insecurity, probably caused by being told off for being bold (ie brave and courageous) when you were kids. People have to build themselves up by putting other people down and blaming "the outsider". County boundaries simply add to the list of possible ways of doing this.

I really don't think it's that serious to constitute a flaw in the Irish cultural psyche!

It's just a bit of slagging, which is a very Irish trait of teasing tiny and otherwise unimportant differences between us.

When I lived in Australia there was this sort of attitude between suburbs that were barely a kilometre away from one another. I think you'll find provincial rivalries all over the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭elefant

Fairly certain everyone slagging Leitrim is just taking the piss?
    Nothing to get so worked up about!

elefant wrote: »
    Fairly certain everyone slagging Leitrim is just taking the piss?
    Nothing to get so worked up about!

You'd be wrong. Myself and 6 of the lads are on the way up to Carrick now in a van armed to the teeth to cause absolute destruction. This thread has reignited the hatred for Leitrim I was born in to!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

is it time for this to be moved to after hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Yeah defo just a bit of slagging,every county gets a bit of a ribbing for something or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

Bottles and glasses were thrown at Gardaí after they were called to deal with disturbances involving hundreds of young people outside an Eyre Square pub last night.
    Gardaí had to call in reinforcements to deal with the trouble which occurred when they tried to move on revellers who had blocked traffic on the eastern side of the square at about 9pm.
    No arrests were made at the scene, but Gardaí were yesterday trawling through CCTV footage from the area after what was described as “serious trouble” which occurred when unofficial student ‘Leitrim Day’ celebrations got out of hand.
    See tomorrow’s Galway City Tribune for the full story

Source: https://www.facebook.com/ConnachtTribune/posts/598893766833536

A$$holes ... I hope they're tracked down and charged. And then booted out of college, whether they're NUIG, GMIT or have travelled from other counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Source: https://www.facebook.com/ConnachtTribune/posts/598893766833536

A$$holes ... I hope they're tracked down and charged. And then booted out of college, whether they're NUIG, GMIT or have travelled from other counties.

http://www.connachttribune.ie/galway-news/item/1673-gardai-attacked-by-student-yobs
    It is understood that many of those who took part in the disturbances on Wednesday night are not living in Galway, but were bussed into the city centre from other towns and cities, including Sligo, Letterkenny, and Dublin, from about 6pm.

I think this bit at the end might hurt the twits a bit more than being thrown out of college:
    Student leaders at NUI Galway have condemned the organising of cheap drinks promotions at city centre pubs and warned students of the consequences of being convicted of public order offences, including being refused visas to the USA and Australia

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Even I have a problem with them being thrown out of college.

But because just some bogger attending Sligo IT (or working in McDonalds or a multi-national or whereever) goes to a party in another town and plays up doesn't necessarily mean they should lose their life opportunities - especially the one that's supposed to make them smarter.

Fair enough if they've actully brought their college into disrepute, eg worn their Sligo IT jersey while doing whatever.

And if they work for some companies, then having to admit to their manager that they have been convicted of a public order offense might cause them to get fired. (some people don't realise that most employment contracts include the need to keep your boss advised of things like that).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Even I have a problem with them being thrown out of college.

But because just some bogger attending Sligo IT (or working in McDonalds or a multi-national or whereever) goes to a party in another town and plays up doesn't necessarily mean they should lose their life opportunities - especially the one that's supposed to make them smarter.

Fair enough if they've actully brought their college into disrepute, eg worn their Sligo IT jersey while doing whatever.

And if they work for some companies, then having to admit to their manager that they have been convicted of a public order offense might cause them to get fired. (some people don't realise that most employment contracts include the need to keep your boss advised of things like that).

Yes,agree with you but some sort of suitable sanction or reprimand has to be inflicted on the main culprits to demonstrate an example is been made of them.So that somebody is not seriously harmed if like minded fools are foolish enough to decide to go down this road again.Somebody could have lost an eye or much worse.
    I saw an awful case in today's Indo re a woman who lost her eye when an egg was thrown,incredible.
    Who is to say that city folk were'nt responsible for this caper?I am sure there were plenty of hangers on.

• Advertisement

We have to move away from this "feck gettin a job, I'm goen ta college for deh craic" bullsh*t. You go to college to do some f*cking work, so you can get better work after.

Advertisement