Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riots in Eyre Square

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

antoobrien wrote: »
    http://www.connachttribune.ie/galway-news/item/1673-gardai-attacked-by-student-yobs

I think this bit at the end might hurt the twits a bit more than being thrown out of college:

Wow! Stop tearing the arse off the city or you won't be able to go to San Diego in the summer to tear the arse off that city...insane, we're an awful bunch of push overs. You break the law as a young teen, you get brought home. You continue to break the law in your early 20's, you get thrown in the drink tank for 2 hours and released. You break the law in your 30's and beyond, it's a fine, if it's a more serious crime it's a fraction of the sentence received in other developed countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Wow! Stop tearing the arse off the city or you won't be able to go to San Diego in the summer to tear the arse off that city...insane, we're an awful bunch of push overs. You break the law as a young teen, you get brought home. You continue to break the law in your early 20's, you get thrown in the drink tank for 2 hours and released. You break the law in your 30's and beyond, it's a fine, if it's a more serious crime it's a fraction of the sentence received in other developed countries.

It probably suits the Government to have students who are pissed all the time! :pac:

It's often the case, and in modern society most likely case, that it's student-lead protests and movements that can create the biggest and most abrupt changes in political and social affairs.

Right now, it's impossible that the student population could do what the student population have done, or are doing, in other, more sober societies, or have done in the past in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

One thing i found interesting about the article was this paragraph
    It is understood that many of those who took part in the disturbances on Wednesday night are not living in Galway, but were bussed into the city centre from other towns and cities, including Sligo, Letterkenny, and Dublin, from about 6pm.

When you look at what i posted Wednesday night about Leitrim day
    It's the 4th year it's been on now. In fairness the first 2 years were just the Leitrim people in Galway getting together to go drinking(no more then 100 people tops) and were generally hassle free.
    It really snowballed the last 2 years though, over 600 people clicked attending on the event page on facebook which is just ridiculous. Leitrim people came down from colleges in Sligo, Dublin, Letterkenny and so on which i really don't understand.

Edit: I notice the event page for it has been taken down already, not a good sign.
    That's one hell of a coincidence. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Wow! Stop tearing the arse off the city or you won't be able to go to San Diego in the summer to tear the arse off that city...insane

Not insane at all. We don't want known troublemakers getting in here, so why should we expect somebody with public order offences to be allowed in elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

A portion of people who went this year and last year aren't even from Leitrim.

One of the funniest comments I've seen here in years...

• Advertisement

Not insane at all. We don't want known troublemakers getting in here, so why should we expect somebody with public order offences to be allowed in elsewhere?

I think Wompa1 means it's insane that their only dissuasion is the possibility of not being able to enter the USA, rather than severe punishments in Ireland, such as large fines and / or jail-time.

I think Wompa1 means it's insane that their only dissuasion is the possibility of not being able to enter the USA, rather than severe punishments in Ireland, such as large fines and / or jail-time.

Why would it? First offence, out of character blah blah, €200 to the poor box and charges dropped.

Why would it? First offence, out of character blah blah, €200 to the poor box and charges dropped.

Wompa1 seemed to be referring to repeat offenders: "... continue to break the law ...".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Wompa1 seemed to be referring to repeat offenders: "... continue to break the law ...".

So? Still no deterrent. If having it pointed out in start terms that you could be f**king up your future prospects what will deter them?

Maybe we should be drilling into them that the internet never forgets.

• Advertisement

So? Still no deterrent. If having it pointed out in start terms that you could be f**king up your future prospects what will deter them?

Maybe we should be drilling into them that the internet never forgets.

I think massive fines and jail-time would be a deterrent to many, and for those who it does not deter, it will reduce their available funds or their freedom to do it again for again for a while. Fines can also be used to offset personal and property damage.

I think massive fines and jail-time would be a deterrent to many, and for those who it does not deter, it will reduce their available funds or their freedom to do it again for again for a while. Fines can also be used to offset personal and property damage.

Is it working?

Is it working?

She's doin' mighty Anto!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

It probably suits the Government to have students who are pissed all the time! :pac:

It's often the case, and in modern society most likely case, that it's student-lead protests and movements that can create the biggest and most abrupt changes in political and social affairs.

Right now, it's impossible that the student population could do what the student population have done, or are doing, in other, more sober societies, or have done in the past in Ireland.

You are spot on here. Alcohol is a soother for the masses in Ireland. Would include the whole society and not just the students here.

I think George Carlin said something about the US before. That the government doesn't want it's people to be high functioning\too intelligent. They want people who are smart enough to do jobs and make them money but not clever enough to realize how badly they are getting f**ked.

What I mean is, it's insane that this is the biggest threat they can come up with. You have people using the city as their dumping ground and the biggest threat you can use is that if you keep it up you won't be able to leave...

Thinking more about repeat as in you do sh1t in your teens, twenties and so on and the punishment remains minimal. Then for major crimes you see the likes of Barry getting a pittance compared to what he should get.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭LOSTfan57

well if ye think this was "big" or "bad" or. "disgraceful" just wait till rag week....or more specifically "donegal tuesday".....remember last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

LOSTfan57 wrote: »
    well if ye think this was "big" or "bad" or. "disgraceful" just wait till rag week....or more specifically "donegal tuesday".....remember last year?

Yep. I've already made some preparations.

090414-car-flamethrower.jpg

What I mean is, it's insane that this is the biggest threat they can come up with.

Not really, given the belief that most of them will have to emigrate the repercussions are losing access to three of the biggest destinations.

Not really, given the belief that most of them will have to emigrate the repercussions are losing access to three of the biggest destinations.

Have to? I think you give the one's that would do that kind of craic too much credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

Are all these drunk students the same ones that complain about college fees?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Sofa King wrote: »
    Are all these drunk students the same ones that complain about college fees?

Yes, exactly the same, an independent survey was taken and all identities matched up perfectly :rolleyes:

Advertisement