Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Someone please explain in layman's terms????

• 30-10-2013 10:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭

Ok so i went to renew my provisional bike A bike licence and had to apply for a test to get the renewal. I was unaware that the licence categories had changed and applied for a full A test. i received the below in an email and im a little confused(or stupid:P) can someone explain to me whats the best option and why. i am 30 so i thought i was OK for a full A. i know i have my licence maybe 10-13 years so what should i do?????

Dear Customer,
    I refer to your recent application for a category A (motorcycle) driving test. We are writing to you in order to clarify which category motorcycle test you wish to avail of in the light of changes which came into effect on the 19th January 2013 regarding the licensing of motorcycle riders in accordance with EU Directive 126/2006EC.
    In order for a driving test to be scheduled for you, you must confirm with us what category you wish to be tested in, and the following information is intended to set out the options available to you. The changes implemented in January 2013 include the following:
    The introduction of a new motorcycle category A2
    For the purposes of the driving test, category A2 is a motorcycle with a cylinder capacity of at least 395cm3 and a power output between 25kW and 35kW, with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.2kW/kg. The A2 motorcycle also cannot be derived from a vehicle of more than double its power. The minimum age for sitting a driving test for the category A2 licence is 18.
    Changes to motorcycle category A
    The Category A motorcycle learner permit has now changed, and now refers to motorcycles with a cylinder capacity of at least 595cm3 and an engine power of at least 40kW for the purposes of the driving test. The minimum age for sitting the driving test for the category A is now 24.
    You may currently hold a learner permit under the following two headings:
    Category A Learner Permit on or after 19th January 2013
    If your Category A learner permit was first issued on or after the 19th January 2013 (i.e. if you never held a category A learner permit previously), you can proceed to sit your driving test in category A provided you have waited for six months and have the appropriate Initial Basic Training (IBT) completed.
    Category A Learner Permit prior to 19th January 2013
    If your Category A learner permit was issued prior to the 19th January 2013, the conditions under which you took out that learner permit restrict you to riding a motorcycle no greater than 25kW. You therefore have the following options:
    Option 1 –
    If you wish to proceed with your driving test with the learner permit that you currently hold, you must present to the test with a motorcycle which is exactly 25kW. If you pass your driving test, you can only be issued with a certificate of competency for category A2. The reason you must bring a motorcycle at exactly 25kW is because your current learner permit restricts you to riding a bike no more than that power output, and as you will be issued with an A2 certificate of competency if you pass the test, the minimum power output for that category is 25kW. You will not be issued with a certificate of competency for Category A as the requirements for that category have changed as

mentioned above. However, if you pass the test, the A2 licence will allow you to ride a motorcycle up to 35kW.
    Option 2 –
    If you do not want to avail of option 1, which restricts you to bringing a motorcycle to the test of 25kW exactly, it may suit you to avail of the category A2 test by first taking out a learner permit for category A2 at your local Motor Taxation Office, thereby allowing you to present to your driving test with a motorcycle which is between 25kW and 35kW.
    Option 3 –
    You may wish to obtain the new category A licence which is unrestricted from the date of issue. In order to do this, you must be 24 years or over, and you must take out a learner permit for category A at your local Motor Taxation Office. If you have previously not completed IBT (Initial Basic Training) for motorcycles, you will be required to undergo IBT Modules 1, 3 and 5 on a category A motorcycle. If you have previously completed IBT on any type of motorcycle, you must now complete Module 5 of IBT before you can sit the driving test for category A. If your learner permit was issued prior to December 1999, there is no requirement to complete IBT.

What happens now?
    Your driving test application will remain on hold until we receive confirmation from you as to which category you wish to be tested in. You may do so by contacting us by email at drivingtest@rsa.ie, by phone on 1890 40 60 40, or by ticking the relevant box below and returning by post to: Customer Service, Driver Testing Section, Road Safety Authority, Moy Business Park, Primrose Hill, Ballina, Co. Mayo.
    I have a category A learner permit issued on or after the 19th Jan 2013 and I wish to
    avail of the category A driving test (unrestricted)
    I have a category A learner permit issued prior to the 19th Jan 2013 and I wish to
    avail of the category A2 test using my current learner permit, and I understand that
    the motorcycle I must present to test with must be exactly 25kW.
    I have a category A2 learner permit issued on or after 19th Jan 2013 and I wish to
    avail of the category A2 test.
    I no longer wish to proceed with a motorcycle test and request that my fee be
    Refunded to me.

If applicable to you, Initial Basic Training (IBT) must be satisfactorily completed and your IBT trainer must return confirmation to the RSA before a driving test date can be scheduled for you.
    We look forward to hearing from you shortly.
    Yours sincerely
    Driver Testing Section
    Road Safety Authority

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057065311

Read Roadskill posts in this thread. The man knows his sh1t. And makes it really simple to understand.

Your best option now is to apply for an A Learner Permit, do IBT, get a full power bike and after 6 months do the test.

If your based in the South East, do your IBT with Roadskill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Did you just transcribe that entire letter :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Did you just transcribe that entire letter :eek:

They send the letter by email in pdf and word format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

You have 2 options :

1 : Do the test on a 25 kw bike and you will only get an A2 licence (35kw).
    You would be stuck in that category forever.

Note : The bike would have to have a restriction cert stating that the kw output is exactly 25kw and is dated within 2 years.
    The 25 kw bike can not be derived from a bike which is more than 50kw.
    This rules out a lot of bikes.

2 : Apply for a new type learner permit in Cat A (unrestricted) then do the IBT training, and then you can do the test on any bike you have insured and taxed (min 595cc) and at least 40kw but will change to 50kw at end of Nov.
    When you pass the test, you will get a full A unrestriced licence.

If you had your permit issued before oct 1999, you would be exempt from IBT.

Advertisement