Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sobering reminder-missing walker on Mweelrea mountain

Options
  • 30-10-2013 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

hope he found ok

http://www.thejournal.ie/search-missing-walker-suspended-1153800-Oct2013/
    THE SEARCH FOR a missing walker on Mweelrea mountain in Co Mayo has been suspended for the night.

Gardaí told TheJournal.ie that the search is for a 38-year-old male who was reported to have been walking in the area.

The man set out yesterday on his walk, but was reported missing at around 4pm today.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Just heard that here, not a nice mountain to be missing on.

Hopefully he'll be located safe and well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Sauve wrote: »
    Just heard that here, not a nice mountain to be missing on.

Hopefully he'll be located safe and well.

Apparently he was planning to camp overnight either way - so was equipped for staying out. Like that depending on where you are on Mweelrea you can have limited options for getting off. Could be better to sit tight and wait for the weather to lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What's the weather been like over there recently? The report I saw today said he'd set off from Doo Lough, so I'd imagine he'd be heading up the gully on to the ridge to Ben Bury. If the cloud level is low it can be a nightmare up there, and not too many sheltered locations to set up camp I'd imagine either.

I hope he's OK, and found quickly.

EDIT: I've just seen here that according to Mayo MRT he actually left his tent in the car.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Alun wrote: »
    What's the weather been like over there recently? The report I saw today said he'd set off from Doo Lough, so I'd imagine he'd be heading up the gully on to the ridge to Ben Bury. If the cloud level is low it can be a nightmare up there, and not too many sheltered locations to set up camp I'd imagine either.

I hope he's OK, and found quickly.

EDIT: I've just seen here that according to Mayo MRT he actually left his tent in the car.

I was doing a whitewater rescue course about 5 miles from there the last 2 days. Very heavy rain yesterday morning, probably an inch of rain. Heavy squally showers today, some of hail, blustery winds and low cloud at times. Heard the helicopter had to abort today due to the conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭hiromoto

Any news on that man, hope he's alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭paulocon2

hiromoto wrote: »
    Any news on that man, hope he's alright.

No news. Search called off for the night and Wicklow MRT going up to assist tomorrow.

Mayo MRT's Facebook page has some recent updates ...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mayo-Mountain-Rescue/301615733199239

Irish tImes running an updated story
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/rescuers-hopeful-of-finding-missing-mayo-hillwalker-1.1579953

I agree with the opinion that "that a walker of his experience “could probably keep himself safe if he were injured”.

I personally know of someone who spent 3 days injured in the 12 Bens and came out to tell the tale.

Let's all hope he's safe. Some bad weather coming in this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Am a bit South of there, weather hasn't been the nicest. Mweelrea isn't a mountain I'd like to be stuck on tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

RTÉ & TG4 journalist reporting that a body has been found in the search:

https://twitter.com/EibhlinNiChoist/status/396645870034092032

RTÉ & TG4 journalist reporting that a body has been found in the search:

https://twitter.com/EibhlinNiChoist/status/396645870034092032
    Awful news. So sorry for him and his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1102/484242-mayo-search/

Yeah it is confirmed it was him. Very sad. Doesn't say what happened in the article.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

May he RIP.
    Sad news for his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

terribly sad news:(

RIP

Very sad news indeed, RIP and condolences to his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Terribly sad news for him and his family. May he RIP.

FrostyJack wrote: »
    Yeah it is confirmed it was him. Very sad. Doesn't say what happened in the article.

We will probably never know what happened and this may not be the time or place to speculate. It was very sad for his friends, and family including old schoolfriends who had come out to look for him.

The Irish Times is running a story with more detail here.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/hillwalker-found-dead-in-mayo-suffered-head-injuries-1.1582344

To add what I know to this. I believe Geoff was located at the base of cliffs about half way along "the ramp" that is the classic route up to the ridge from the cwm facing north onto Doolough. I understand that he was found by a search party from Leitrim and he was brought out by a party from Calder Valley Search and Rescue who had come over from the UK. Conditions on the hill on Saturday are best described as "challenging". There was lightning in the morning with high winds and driving rain/hail on top.

To put one line of speculation to bed. Among those who know the mountain, "the ramp" would not be considered an incautious or imprudent route to take either up or down (although it is a bit exposed at the very top). I have gone that way on my own and I know others who have done the same. I understand that Geoff was logging walks in fulfillment of the requirements of Mountain Leader training.

If I were to look for a very small bright side to this it was an operation that did have a clear outcome for the friends, family and all the searchers who took part. A similar search effort for Olof Jansson in Kerry in 2004/2005 did not turn up anything and it took over a year for Olof's remains to be found.

There but for the grace of god etc

• We will probably never know what happened and this may not be the time or place to speculate. It was very sad for his friends, and family including old schoolfriends who had come out to look for him.

The Irish Times is running a story with more detail here.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/hillwalker-found-dead-in-mayo-suffered-head-injuries-1.1582344

To add what I know to this. I believe Geoff was located at the base of cliffs about half way along "the ramp" that is the classic route up to the ridge from the cym facing north onto Doolough. I understand that he was found by a search party from Leitrim and he was brought out by a party from Calder Valley Search and Rescue who had come over from the UK. Conditions on the hill on Saturday are best described as "challenging". There was lightning in the morning with high winds and driving rain/hail on top.

To put one line of speculation to bed. Among those who know the mountain, "the ramp" would not be considered an incautious or imprudent route to take either up or down (although it is a bit exposed at the very top). I have gone that way on my own and I know others who have done the same. I understand that Geoff was logging walks in fulfillment of the requirements of Moutain Leader training.

If I were to look for a very small bright side to this it was an operation that did have a clear outcome for the friends, family and all the searchers who took part. A similar search effort for Olof Jansson in Kerry in 2004/2005 did not turn up anything and it took over a year for Olof's remains to be found.

There but for the grace of god etc

Well done to the MR teams who took him down, it was a hard few days. The Mayo, Leitrim, Sligo, Dublin/Wicklow and their sister team from the UK the Calder Valley team and to all other teams involved in the search. All teams worked very well together in very difficult conditions. My thoughts are with the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I was out camping at the weekend and couldn't help thinking that ( I hoped) it would end ok for him. It has certainly made me think over how I approach camping trips as I normally go solo myself.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

Not that it really matters, but he was located by a member of MMR.

An incredible effort by all involved in difficult terrain and conditions. And a sobering reminder of the need to leave details of your planned route whether travelling alone or in a group, with a pre arranged time to hit the panic button (ie ring the gardai).

I know my thoughts will be with his family when I'm out walking over the christmas period.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Does anyone know what happened? Where exactly was he found? why did he die, was it a fall?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

dnme wrote: »
    Does anyone know what happened? Where exactly was he found? why did he die, was it a fall?

By chance I happened to be climbing Mweelrea that day (had planned it with 3 others before I heard about the missing climber). When we got up to the gully it became obvious that Mountain Rescue had found him so we abandoned the climb and went back. The weather was also terrible so it seemed like the right decision.

By the location of the body it seems very likely he fell somewhere near the top of the ramp. If you were looking from the northern end of Lough Doo you would not have found him, it was only when you got up to the gully and looked to the far right corner.

Very sad story.
    RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

When you say the ramp, is that the narrow ledge you have to traverse? Ive only done it once. Went in between the two lakes (Doulough) and I remember a ledge up there that scared me a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

dnme wrote: »
    When you say the ramp, is that the narrow ledge you have to traverse? Ive only done it once. Went in between the two lakes (Doulough) and I remember a ledge up there that scared me a bit.

Yes, though I've never been up it myself. Looked dangerous in the conditions the day I was there. Covered in cloud most of the time.

It's only really the last bit before you pop out on top that's particularly narrow / steep. The first part is quite wide if I remember correctly. It would be tricky finding the correct place to descend to it from the top in bad conditions though and easy to miss and end up on some very steep ground instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

As alun said its only narrow at the exit up top. Most of the ramp is as wide as the n5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

I don't mean to be morbid, but has anyone photos of the ramp itself? It's been pointed out to me previously when on Mweelrea, but we were a long distance from the ramp at that point.

Very sad. Only did Mweelrea once, in thick fog, and descended via the Ramp, and remember a few places had drops off the side alright.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

I don't mean to be morbid, but has anyone photos of the ramp itself? It's been pointed out to me previously when on Mweelrea, but we were a long distance from the ramp at that point.

Hi,
    I have put up 2 pictures of the Ramp for you in the Outdoor Pictures thread, instead of here.
    The first is a High Dynamic Range picture I took, which brings out the vibrant colours of the day & mt, second is a close of the ramp.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056047180&page=11

Enjoy,

K

Advertisement