Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few quick questions on the WHV?

Options
  • 31-10-2013 12:02am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

Am just researching it for my friend and she is undecided whether or not to pay USIT and get them to do it or just do it ourselves DIY. I understand it costs like €355 per person to apply direct to the Australian immigration.

Usit charge €539 which includes the visa, silver backpacker insurance, a bank account, tax file no. and sim card. I know they would take care of the paper-work but I'm not sure if it is worth it or not or to do it myself for her online, I really don't want to mess up her visa application; we were both in Australia before in 2010 on a holiday and she really wants to go back and has her sights set for after Christmas.

Also the flights will be incredibly expensive as the routing is Ireland-Bangkok-Perth-Los Angeles-Las Vegas-Ireland, with outbound stop-offs in Thailand on the way over and coming back through the USA at years end for one final hurray in Las Vegas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Stinicker wrote: »
    Am just researching it for my friend and she is undecided whether or not to pay USIT and get them to do it or just do it ourselves DIY. I understand it costs like €355 per person to apply direct to the Australian immigration.

Usit charge €539 which includes the visa, silver backpacker insurance, a bank account, tax file no. and sim card. I know they would take care of the paper-work but I'm not sure if it is worth it or not or to do it myself for her online, I really don't want to mess up her visa application; we were both in Australia before in 2010 on a holiday and she really wants to go back and has her sights set for after Christmas.

Also the flights will be incredibly expensive as the routing is Ireland-Bangkok-Perth-Los Angeles-Las Vegas-Ireland, with outbound stop-offs in Thailand on the way over and coming back through the USA at years end for one final hurray in Las Vegas.

It'd be cheaper doing it herself. See the opening post in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73021962

Also, why are you booking it for her - she should be doing this herself, not getting you to do it for her. If she can't arrange a WHV by herself, she should seriously consider if moving overseas is really a good idea. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

If you can book a plane ticket you can do a whv. There is nothing to it, its a form, its says what info to put it and you put it in, theres no way to mess it up. Tax file numbers and bank accounts are free, sims cost $2. The only thing there is the insurance which you could get cheaper than the cost difference anyways.

Usit will ask your friend every single question on the whv form and then just fill it in for her. She'll have go get the info anyway, having someone else type it into the form for her is a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

What paperwork? You apply online and hear back within 24 hours with an almost guaranteed acceptance once you don't have a criminal record or military background.

Bank account is easy to set up once here, tax file number is an online application or phone call.

Organising your own insurance is easy too and you'll save money overall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Thanks for the advice on the thread guys. It has been booked and taken care of in the last while. We contacted USIT and they were looking for an extra €50 if she didn't book the flights with them or €585. And their flight quotes were very uncompetitive. I contacted Sayit travel and they are providing the 1 year WHV for €365 which is a very similar pricing to doing it yourself anyway.

Oneway flights to Bangkok booked at the end of January for €436.00 with Aer Lingus & Malaysian Airlines, (Cork to Heathrow to Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok).

After Thailand down to Perth (Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur to Perth) booked with Air Asia for €248 and this includes all the different Air Asia fees and a 30kgs pre-booked baggage allowance.

All that is left now for my friend is to book backpackers insurance for 1 year? If anybody has good recommendations or companies to avoid on this let me know! She also plans to book a 1 way ticket back to Ireland for December 2014 but you can't book this just yet as you can only book 12 months in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

pete4130 wrote: »
    What paperwork? You apply online and hear back within 24 hours with an almost guaranteed acceptance once you don't have a criminal record or military background.
    Is it normal to NOT hear back within 24 hours? I'v heard it can take anywhere between 1 hour and 2 weeks. I applied for mine directly through the Australian site 3 days ago and haven't heard anything yet. Says it's been received but still processing. I was hoping to head off before the end of the month. Is there anything else that might delay me? Have to organise phone, tax no. etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

CM24 wrote: »
    Is it normal to NOT hear back within 24 hours? I'v heard it can take anywhere between 1 hour and 2 weeks. I applied for mine directly through the Australian site 3 days ago and haven't heard anything yet. Says it's been received but still processing. I was hoping to head off before the end of the month. Is there anything else that might delay me? Have to organise phone, tax no. etc

Did you tick anything that said you'll be working in the medical industry or with children? Mine took 20mins to be approved, although that was 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Noo wrote: »
    Did you tick anything that said you'll be working in the medical industry or with children? Mine took 20mins to be approved, although that was 2 years ago.

Nope. Although I plan to work in a gym over there. So I said I'd be working in "other services" as there was no health and fitness option when it asked what sector I'd be working in. Maybe that makes me look dodgy or sumtin. I'll see

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Laura Steph

I applied for mine under "other services" and had similar concerns about looking shady. However, I think I got my visa approval within a week to 2 weeks of applying about a month ago.

Just be patient, it will more than likely come through if you have no criminal record/aren't planning to work in the medical sector/a child related sector. :)

Advertisement