Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I get a 12V satellite receiver?

Options
  • 31-10-2013 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

So, I currently have a bog standard satellite receiver working in my MH via a 150W inverter. I'm wondering if it's worthwhile investing in a 12V one, so that I can cut the inverter out of the equation and hopefully not drain the battery as quickly. Would I make much of a saving in battery consumption to bother buying one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

kelbal wrote: »
    So, I currently have a bog standard satellite receiver working in my MH via a 150W inverter. I'm wondering if it's worthwhile investing in a 12V one, so that I can cut the inverter out of the equation and hopefully not drain the battery as quickly. Would I make much of a saving in battery consumption to bother buying one?
    At low loads the inverter will be inefficient so you could be losing the same power that the box is drawing. Whether its worthwhile or no I suppose depends on how much you watch and how long your away from power if your having to pay hookup or running the engine to replace those watts then definitely worthwhile an led telly may save more.

Something like this (sound on this particular model is supposed to suck) and flog your old kit:

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-11-264494&pages=1&prod=264494&brands=CELLO&image=

Without knowing the details I'd be inclined to say the difference will be marginal, maybe 15-35% more tv receiving. You say "the battery" so I'm guessing you have just one house battery, guessing again I'd say 50ish disposable Ah. So I'd be more inclined to use another battery and get a 100% increase. Chasing efficiencies on a single battery won't add up to a whole lot. If you had >200Ah in the tank I'd say it would be worth looking at.

Option B; is look at the power supply unit of your bog standard sat receiver (it should have a power rating on it) and see if you can get a cheap regulator that will do the same job from 10.5v to 16v. If you post a photo of the rating sticker I could probably find you a suitable one.
    Most electronics these days are actually low voltage DC stepped down. Only appliances with motors and heaters really use AC.

Advertisement