Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky TV

Options
  • 31-10-2013 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭

Hey hoping some people may be able to help me here.

Just checking my online banking there, and I noticed I have been paying my €28 Sky tv bill since May. This is a service that I cancelled in April due to me moving down to Cork, and my housemates not being bothered to keep the service. That was all sorted, so I thought nothing more of it. Now I understand upon cancelling it that they charge for an extra month, so I don't include a payment showing up in April.

Two problems here: I don't have any account info here anymore, that stuff is long gone, so if I call them, I won't know this stuff for them.

Secondly, when I call them, I know I'm gonna tear through the first poor unsuspecting person for a shortcut. Its nearly €150 of my money gone on it. I know I should have been more aware myself, so that will hopefully make me keep my nerve for the other persons sake.

Should I go into a bank to dispute these payments tomorrow? I know I'm gonna get them cancelled immediately, but I want my money back too.

This is gonna be long and expensive time on the phone for me isn't it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Try your bank first and insist that they refund all the disputed payments to your account in the timeframe allowed which afaik is 24 hours.

The reason for the refund will be that the debits are unauthorised payments requested by sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

I've a radical suggestion for you. Why not phone up politely, explain the situation and see what the explanation is?

I worked in customer service roles for over 15 years and I can assure you, you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

How did you cancel it in April?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Bepolite wrote: »
    I've a radical suggestion for you. Why not phone up politely, explain the situation and see what the explanation is?

I worked in customer service roles for over 15 years and I can assure you, you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

I know, I will be. Work in retail myself as it is, but its still a joke.

Was cancelled over phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Its always good to have a hard copy ie email or letter as proof. A phone instruction is very hard to prove - your word against theirs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Mushy wrote: »
    Hey hoping some people may be able to help me here.

Just checking my online banking there, and I noticed I have been paying my €28 Sky tv bill since May. This is a service that I cancelled in April due to me moving down to Cork, and my housemates not being bothered to keep the service. That was all sorted, so I thought nothing more of it. Now I understand upon cancelling it that they charge for an extra month, so I don't include a payment showing up in April.

Two problems here: I don't have any account info here anymore, that stuff is long gone, so if I call them, I won't know this stuff for them.

Secondly, when I call them, I know I'm gonna tear through the first poor unsuspecting person for a shortcut. Its nearly €150 of my money gone on it. I know I should have been more aware myself, so that will hopefully make me keep my nerve for the other persons sake.

Should I go into a bank to dispute these payments tomorrow? I know I'm gonna get them cancelled immediately, but I want my money back too.

This is gonna be long and expensive time on the phone for me isn't it?

I was in the same situation, I called, they said I never cancelled, strangely enough the recording of my call couldnt be found.
    I learned a €600 lesson right there, actually 2 lessons, keep a closer eye on my bank statements and never believe that the person you are talking to is going to do what they say without proof.
    foggy_lad wrote: »
    Try your bank first and insist that they refund all the disputed payments to your account in the timeframe allowed which afaik is 24 hours.

The reason for the refund will be that the debits are unauthorised payments requested by sky.

I'm not saying that this is impossible, but my bank (boi) wouldn't (they said they couldn't) do this.

Best of luck op I hope it turns out better for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

When cancelling anything, always do so in writing. Simple as that. Many terms and conditions require it and you have proof as well. Email or registered letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

When I was cancelling my sky contract a couple of years ago, I emailed them but they said it would have to be done over the phone. Go figure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Im having the same problem.

Ive been emailing them and they say they cant find the account at all, even though I am copying and pasting the account number straight out of mysky.

It was cancelled in April and the money is still coming out. THe time zone difference makes it nigh impossible to call.

Im having the same problem.

Ive been emailing them and they say they cant find the account at all, even though I am copying and pasting the account number straight out of mysky.

It was cancelled in April and the money is still coming out. THe time zone difference makes it nigh impossible to call.

Your viewing card number will find your account. They are open from 8am to 10pm GMT and the satellites only cover an area within around 6 time zones, I find your post a wee bit odd, would you mind clarifying what you mean.

• Advertisement

Your viewing card number will find your account. They are open from 8am to 10pm GMT and the satellites only cover an area within around 6 time zones, I find your post a wee bit odd, would you mind clarifying what you mean.

My viewing card is unfortunately a couple of continents away from me. I cannot view it.

After a week of emailing SKY they have now told me to call the IRish sky call centre, for which they did not give me an international number. They gave me the 0818 number which SKYPE does not recognise.

So they cant find it via email, even though its there on MYSKY and they have referred me to the Irish customer service center which I cannot reach because the number is an 0818.

Dial +353 818 and the number. It will cost you mind.

Dial +353 818 and the number. It will cost you mind.

That number does not work from abroad.

Ive written a complaint to comreg.

That number does not work from abroad.

Ive written a complaint to comreg.

OK, sorry! Just trying to help, as it worked to an 0818 for me last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

You can find a landline number for sky customer service here:

http://www.saynoto1890.com/2013/02/s/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Op, go to the sky website and open a formal complaint.

They week ask you for 3 pieces of in formation, give them what you have they will email or ring you for the rest.

about 2 Weeks after I made the to my complaint a last called who had my account up on their screen and had recordings of ask calls I made.

I had called to cancel and was told I had to wait for a date that was wrong. She apologies and refunded all extra money paid.

I told then in the formal complaint that I had recordings of my calls but they never asked for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Sky customer service is a total joke. Easily, easily the worst company I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with. Incompetent staff who say one thing but do something else pretty much every time you call them. Unfortunately for anyone in a country area they have a total monopoly.

The minute I get fibre broadband I'll be gone from them like a shot and over to Eircom TV.

Jayop wrote: »
    Sky customer service is a total joke. Easily, easily the worst company I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with. Incompetent staff who say one thing but do something else pretty much every time you call them. Unfortunately for anyone in a country area they have a total monopoly.

The minute I get fibre broadband I'll be gone from them like a shot and over to Eircom TV.

Said about every Telco by numerous customers, except netflix who don't have any customer services - go figure.

Said about every Telco by numerous customers, except netflix who don't have any customer services - go figure.

Never tried to call Netflix, and I can't see why you would need to. They seem to have a pretty simple charging system and are easy to disconnect if you want to.

I've dealt with a lot of them in my time and I can honestly say that sky are a massive cut below the rest. Bord gais are pretty bad, but at least they are polite.

I used to work in a job that required me to ring insurance companies about 7-8 times a day and they could be sticky enough with their regulations, but at least the staff knew their stuff. Sky seems to be staffed by complete incompetents. You talk to one person and the following day another and they will completely contradict each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

You talk to one person and the following day another and they will completely contradict each other.

I have to agree with you there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

I am now in a Kafka nightmare with SKY tv. I keep getting emails from "Becky" who for the third time has referred me to the 0818 number in Ireland.

Comreg does not deal with tv either since it has been deregulated.

That's sky uk. They are insisting I call sky Ireland.

That's sky uk. They are insisting I call sky Ireland.

They can transfer you. If they won't ask to speak to the Team Leader. I'd keep insisting on that if you're not getting any joy to be honest.

They can transfer you. If they won't ask to speak to the Team Leader. I'd keep insisting on that if you're not getting any joy to be honest.

Success. Finally. I thought I was going to have an aneurism.

That's great advise and not something I was aware of.

Thanks!

The saga will continue.

They refunded money and then took it back two days later in another withdrawal.

• Advertisement

Advertisement