Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky TV

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

This post has been deleted.

Yeah. And they gave the refund in two different amounts, not even adding up to the correct amount, and then deducted one of the amounts two days later.

So now I will have to SKYPE them AGAIN. And go through all of this AGAIN.

Jesus Christ, Kafka could not have thought this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Before you get on to sky, ring the bank and have the direct debit agreement removed so if and when they refund the money it wont be removed again.

Oh my god. I have never encountered such incompetence.

1. Customer service agent REFUSED to put me onto a supervisor.

2. Customer service agent claimed that the bank account number I gave her did not match the numbers she had. Same account from which which they have been taking money. How is that possible? Same account number I gave them on Saturday and it did match?

3. Customer service agent refused to have a supervisor call me back.

What a tower of morons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Oh my god. I have never encountered such incompetence.

1. Customer service agent REFUSED to put me onto a supervisor.

2. Customer service agent claimed that the bank account number I gave her did not match the numbers she had. Same account from which which they have been taking money. How is that possible? Same account number I gave them on Saturday and it did match?

3. Customer service agent refused to have a supervisor call me back.

What a tower of morons.

Call back and make sure you're through to the Dublin Call Centre. Keep calling back until you get an agent that will put you through to a supervisor.

Why didn't you get your account number and security set up when you phoned them on Saturday? While I'm not over the moon with the service you're getting there certainly seems to be blame on both sides here.

• Advertisement

Bepolite wrote: »
    Call back and make sure you're through to the Dublin Call Centre. Keep calling back until you get an agent that will put you through to a supervisor.

Why didn't you get your account number and security set up when you phoned them on Saturday? While I'm not over the moon with the service you're getting there certainly seems to be blame on both sides here.

On Saturday I was able to talk to a supervisor, she was able to access the account.

Today no. Why? I have no idea.

What security?

They are taking money out of the bank via direct debit.

They asked for the bank account number.

I gave it to them.

They claim it's not the same one on their screen.

I claim, how is that possible since Im staring at the statement which has SKY TV direct debits on it.

THey say, "sowwy kawnt elp yew, cawnt go any futher oim afwaid."

On Saturday I was able to talk to a supervisor, she was able to access the account.

Today no. Why? I have no idea.

What security?

They are taking money out of the bank via direct debit.

They asked for the bank account number.

I gave it to them.

They claim it's not the same one on their screen.

I claim, how is that possible since Im staring at the statement which has SKY TV direct debits on it.

THey say, "sowwy kawnt elp yew, cawnt go any futher oim afwaid."

Because they have to adhere to very strict Data protection guidelines otherwise people go bananas.

Have you rang back and done as I suggested. Make sure you set up a password for your account and ensure any other info such as Mother's maiden name and date of birth are correct.

Because they have to adhere to very strict Data protection guidelines otherwise people go bananas.

Have you rang back and done as I suggested. Make sure you set up a password for your account and ensure any other info such as Mother's maiden name and date of birth are correct.

Then why was I able to speak to someone who could do it on Saturday?

So far I have spent an hour long distance over 6 time zones trying to deal with these noobs.

Then why was I able to speak to someone who could do it on Saturday?

So far I have spent an hour long distance over 6 time zones trying to deal with these noobs.

A supervisor is going to be able to make a judgment call an operator con not. I don't have much sympathy with the 6 timezones thing. Why didn't you cancel it when you left Ireland?

All these are beside the point. There are numerous things you can do. Cancel the direct debit, write to them and speak to a supervisor if possible. Next time you do get in contact make sure you're security is set up.

A supervisor is going to be able to make a judgment call an operator con not. I don't have much sympathy with the 6 timezones thing. Why didn't you cancel it when you left Ireland?

All these are beside the point. There are numerous things you can do. Cancel the direct debit, write to them and speak to a supervisor if possible. Next time you do get in contact make sure you're security is set up.

Obviously you don't have much sympathy for having to adjust your schedule to adjust to a call center schedule for which you have to spend on long distance to clear up THEIR mistake. But your sympathy or lack of it is irrelvent.

As I already explained, I did cancel it. They didn;t. Same thing happenned on Saturday. I cancelled it. They said ok. Still not cancelled as evidenced from the direct debit withdrawal.

I asked to speak to a supervisor, the customer service operator refused to put me onto one, [today].

Make sure security is set up? If they won't discuss the account with you because they claim to have a different bank account number then surely they wont let you change a password on that same account?

You can keep defending them all you like, it still wont change my mind about their awful customer service.

• Advertisement

Obviously you don't have much sympathy for having to adjust your schedule to adjust to a call center schedule for which you have to spend on long distance to clear up THEIR mistake. But your sympathy or lack of it is irrelvent.

As I already explained, I did cancel it. They didn;t. Same thing happenned on Saturday. I cancelled it. They said ok. Still not cancelled as evidenced from the direct debit withdrawal.

Why didn't you write a letter in the first instance?
    Cancel the directed debit, in the first, second and third instance?
    I asked to speak to a supervisor, the customer service operator refused to put me onto one, [today].

Did you call back?
    Make sure security is set up? If they won't discuss the account with you because they claim to have a different bank account number then surely they wont let you change a password on that same account?

If they are in your account then the person is satisfied you're who you say you are. It's a binary. If they can do one thing they can do anything.
    You can keep defending them all you like, it still wont change my mind about their awful customer service.

I'm not defending them. I'm simply pointing out that in two decades of customer facing roles, sometimes people don't help themselves frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Could it be that they have canceled it and refunded your money but to much and then took back what they felt they didn't owe you!

I feel your pain I canceled dd s twice they just start another one under direct debit plus.

But I found an email starting a formal complaint fixed it all in the end.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Could it be that they have canceled it and refunded your money but to much and then took back what they felt they didn't owe you!

I feel your pain I canceled dd s twice they just start another one under direct debit plus.

But I found an email starting a formal complaint fixed it all in the end.

If they do this, and you have a letter of cancellation the bank should be refunding this under the direct debit guarantee. I find that once the bank starts getting into the mix with companies they usually cop on.

You've raised a good point ref the debit but to be fair these things have to be submitted days in advance and there's probably no way to stop the things once they've been actioned. Modern era of banking my arse :D

Why didn't you write a letter in the first instance?
    Cancel the directed debit, in the first, second and third instance?

Did you call back?

If they are in your account then the person is satisfied you're who you say you are. It's a binary. If they can do one thing they can do anything.

I'm not defending them. I'm simply pointing out that in two decades of customer facing roles, sometimes people don't help themselves frankly.

Just as an FYI, they don't accept letters of cancellation. I learned this the last time I had to cancel sky.

I have spent plenty of years working in retail and customer service, so I know what I can expect.

I have not called them back because I really don't have the heart to. It was so crazy making I can't face it again right now.

Just as an FYI, they don't accept letters of cancellation. I learned this the last time I had to cancel sky.

I have spent plenty of years working in retail and customer service, so I know what I can expect.

I have not called them back because I really don't have the heart to. It was so crazy making I can't face it again right now.

Whether they accept a letter or not once you've confirmation via phone always write a letter. Cancel the direct debit and if more money is drawn you can present your copy.

At this stage I suggest doing as wmpdd33 has done and revert to writing to them.

Whether they accept a letter or not once you've confirmation via phone always write a letter. Cancel the direct debit and if more money is drawn you can present your copy.

At this stage I suggest doing as wmpdd33 has done and revert to writing to them.

Seriously, they don't accept letters. Well they have insisted to me on the phone they don't accept them.

And they can't do anything or confirm anything via the account because they are insisting the bank account numbers are not the same. So nothing can happen on the phone in the first place.

Seriously, they don't accept letters. Well they have insisted to me on the phone they don't accept them.

And they can't do anything or confirm anything via the account because they are insisting the bank account numbers are not the same. So nothing can happen on the phone in the first place.

They do accept letters, they might not accept them as a form of cancellation but that's different to where you are. I understand your frustration but you really need to listen and take on board what's being said to you rather than getting het up which isn't going to solve anything.

The address is: (which is given here)

Customer Complaints
    Sky Ireland
    1 Burlington Plaza
    Burlington Road
    Dublin 4.

Take the time to lay everything out in a letter, if this fails send a copy to your bank with an explanation that any further funds taken by them are to be reclaimed by the direct debit guarantee.

I really can't help you any further, this is becoming a lead a horse to water scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I cancelled my Sky back in August. No charges in September. In October I noticed €15 gone from my account. I rang them and they refunded it and said that would be the end of the issue.

Again in November they've gone to my account. I rang them and they told me that, even though I have cancelled my account with them, I need to cancel the direct debit with the bank or the money will continue coming out. They said the €15 must be the multiroom fee.

My understanding of direct debits is that the money will stop going out if they stop requesting it each month?

I've had to send a letter to the bank to cancel the direct debit anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Lemlin wrote: »
    I cancelled my Sky back in August. No charges in September. In October I noticed €15 gone from my account. I rang them and they refunded it and said that would be the end of the issue.

Again in November they've gone to my account. I rang them and they told me that, even though I have cancelled my account with them, I need to cancel the direct debit with the bank or the money will continue coming out. They said the €15 must be the multiroom fee.

My understanding of direct debits is that the money will stop going out if they stop requesting it each month?

You always need to cancel the DD on your end. Always.

• Advertisement

They do accept letters, they might not accept them as a form of cancellation but that's different to where you are. I understand your frustration but you really need to listen and take on board what's being said to you rather than getting het up which isn't going to solve anything.

The address is: (which is given here)

Customer Complaints
    Sky Ireland
    1 Burlington Plaza
    Burlington Road
    Dublin 4.

Take the time to lay everything out in a letter, if this fails send a copy to your bank with an explanation that any further funds taken by them are to be reclaimed by the direct debit guarantee.

I really can't help you any further, this is becoming a lead a horse to water scenario.

What do you mean I have to take on board what is being said to me? I am not a primary school student in the principals office, thank you very much.

The problem is this was apparantly all resolved in Saturday, and then poof, it turned out not to have been resolved, and you are making it out I am a stubborn horse?

As if this is due to my stubbornness and not their incompetence?

It's not me not doing the listening.

I'm open to correction but can't they resubmit it or does this stop it completely?
    What do you mean I have to take on board what is being said to me? I am not a primary school student in the principals office, thank you very much.

The problem is this was apparantly all resolved in Saturday, and then poof, it turned out not to have been resolved, and you are making it out I am a stubborn horse?

As if this is due to my stubbornness and not their incompetence?

It's not me not doing the listening.

I give up, I've tried to help, I've suggested several ways to go about resolving it you've all the info from me and others here I wish you the best in resolving the issue.

I'm open to correction but can't they resubmit it or does this stop it completely?

DD are heavily regulated - it'll stop it. Anyone that violates the DD agreements faces heavy sanctions.

Usually the bank will try to get you to do it, but they actually have an obligation to assist you. The financial ombudsman will get involved if a company has taken cash out that is outside the schedule also.

You can read more here - http://www.ipso.ie/section/DirectDebitComplaintsProcedure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Lemlin wrote: »
    You always need to cancel the DD on your end. Always.
    There may be more than one direct debit in place for sky, I had an issue last year with a phone company and a direct debit being reactivated and they said it was from an old mandate from when I had got an upgrade handset, Best to ring your online banking and ask them to check for any old debits on your account that are inactive but not cancelled.
    Usually the bank will try to get you to do it, but they actually have an obligation to assist you. The financial ombudsman will get involved if a company has taken cash out that is outside the schedule also.

You can read more here - http://www.ipso.ie/section/DirectDebitComplaintsProcedure

The nice people at I.P.S.O. helped me out before with a direct debit issue when Ulster Bank wanted me to get Proof that I had cancelled the debit from the company that had reactivated it. The bank and the company got a telling off and the bank refunded the debited amount and apologised as did the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

It takes about 5 seconds to do via online banking.

No. AIB told me I need to drop a signed letter into the branch. I rang them yesterday to cancel it.

• Advertisement

My final thought - having a letter as back up allows you to tell any debt collectors you'll be more than happy to see them in court as you have all your ducks in a row. Are they sure they do?

Advertisement