Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinea pigs have stopped drinking

• 31-10-2013 12:45am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have some concern as I have two male quinea pigs but for some reason over the weekend they have stopped drinking water. It isthe same water bottle, it is still dispensing when I check. I refilled it with fresh water a few times but there is little or nothing being taken from it.

I filled the bottle fully Sunday afternoon, normally it would be near empty by the next day but on Monday there was little gone. I paid no attention the first time but come Tuesday afternoon there was still almost the same amount there.

I changed the water every day since but they seem to be drinking very little, is there a reason to be concerned?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Maybe something in the water supply has changed. If it were me I would try bottled water to see if that makes any difference.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Maybe something in the water supply has changed. If it were me I would try bottled water to see if that makes any difference.
    Never would have occured to me, would they really be that sensitive? Will give it a try in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fitzg

Yep, they're very sensitive and particular in their tastes!! Guinea pigs are little gourmets in my opinion - they live to eat and eat to live and they have very refined tastes!! it could also be that they're getting more liquids from their food if you've changed or added anything more juicy to their diet at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

How are they in terms of energy levels and eating.
    I just ask cause unfortunately guinea pigs tend to go off their food and water at the first sign of sickness of any sort, and unless they are getting fluids from either their water bottle or from fruit/veg then you need a vet visit ASAP.

If they are still very active and lively then they are probably grand. But if unsure always do a vet visit with small animals.

And I will echo the above sentiments guinea pigs are actually fussy eaters when presented with something new or even slightly different tasting to normal they give themselves an adjustment period.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I changed the water and came back later after some googling and deciding to see could I use a plunger to drip feed water as it was late at night. my wife told me they were back to drinking and it was true most of the water was gone. One of them seemed fine and his usual self. Unfortunately his brother was quieter than usual and not interested in treats.
    I took him to the vet first thing in the morning who I see alot who told me he had respiratory issues, and was low in vitamin C, I have been drip feeding him for over 24 hours, had a dose of antibiotics and painkillers. Unfortunately, I had left it too late and Henry was past when i got home this evening from work.
    It looks like it was my fault as even though I had been feeding them sufficiently, it looks like there was not enough greens in there the last month or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fitzg

I'm so sorry to hear the little guy didn't make it CramCycle.
    Sometimes you do your best and they just don't make it.
    Try not to be too hard on yourself and give the other piggy lots of extra attention and care - he's probably missing his little pal too.
    There was another poster who lost a little guinea pig a few months ago too, after lots of intensive care and he was able to introduce a new pal to the little pig who survived. here is a link to a website, if you scroll down there is a guide to introductions! http://jackiesguineapiggies.com/Companionship.html just as the wee pets are very social creatures and its probably a good idea to find a friend for the guy you still have if possible.
    Take care and sorry again for your loss,
    Em

Advertisement