Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working Holiday 2014

• 31-10-2013 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi All,

My boyfriend and I are heading to NZ in Jan 2014 on WHV. We have previously spent 2.5 years on work visas in Canada (came home in April 2013) so are all to familiar of the fun but sometimes stressful adventure we have ahead of us.

He's an electrician and I'm a web designer (we both had success in our fields in Canada but are moving on to discover this side of the world!).

We won't be arriving to NZ with much cash, but hope to gather a taste of the place before we decide to settle. After some research we're now stuck between whether to go to Christchurch or Wellington. The former seeming to be the broken city but with greater potential for his construction work, but we have concerns about whether we'd really enjoy this post-quake environment. The latter, I've been told is a similar size to Galway and quite a quirky and creative city - making me lean more towards Wellington!

Can anyone shed any light to me on their experiences with either or both cities?

Also, I'm thinking to fly to Queenstown, enjoy a few days there then get one of those free campervan relocations to Christchurch (so we can cheaply enjoy the south island for a few days), then spend a few days sussing out Christchurch, then get the bus/ferry to Wellington to suss it out there. Then make a decision on whether to stay there or head back to Christchurch.

Any thoughts on this plan, or better suggestions?! Or I should we just book the flight and go with the flow :D

Edit: I realise that the purpose of a WHV is to holiday more than work, but we would be going with more intention for one of us to be sponsored and to get a few more years out of our time there.

Comments

Advertisement