Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halloween becoming more popular

Options
  • 31-10-2013 4:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

I've noticed that Halloween is becoming more popular here in Melbourne as each year passes, particularly the Trick or Treat element of it.
    Has anyone else noticed this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I've noticed that Halloween is becoming more popular here in Melbourne as each year passes, particularly the Trick or Treat element of it.
    Has anyone else noticed this?

Of the 5 Halloweens I've spent here, I can't say i've noticed it being more popular. Was it unpopular at some point?

I've in a pretty urban area, in an apartment building. So I've never had a trick or treater call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

never heard of it till a few years ago when shops started to try and cash in on this US gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

Was pretty sure but had to check wiki to confirm, this began as an Irish tradition dating back to the 16th century

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Most northern cultures have some sort of tradition marking the onset of winter as the cold hardens the ground and the departed pay one last visit before being frozen under.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Mellor wrote: »
    I've in a pretty urban area, in an apartment building. So I've never had a trick or treater call.

Great isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Legend100 wrote: »
    Was pretty sure but had to check wiki to confirm, this began as an Irish tradition dating back to the 16th century

Yep but, a bit like Paddy's day, the Americans added all the razzmatazz to the occasion. I blame the pumpkin farmers....

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Well there isn't one horror movie on tele! Although, Big brother is on Channel 9....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Just put on your door and no kids will knock :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

Had two trick or treaters in Adelaide, lucky them I had some chocolates in.

Really isn't as big over here as in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

I work for a company who are pushing for it to be bigger here as it is financially beneficial.

It dates back a pre Christian festival in Ireland but the bonfire is stolen from Guy Fawkes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

definitely a noticeable increase in the number of kids out trick or treating compared to last year where I live (Randwick)

It was as busy last night as it would have been 20 years ago at home

......they did get in the way of my run though :mad::mad:

sin_city wrote: »
    I work for a company who are pushing for it to be bigger here as it is financially beneficial.

It dates back a pre Christian festival in Ireland but the bonfire is stolen from Guy Fawkes.

No really. Bonfires were a part of the Celtic festival also.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

@Mellor.....opps, that's correct. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

According to rte news they are called bomb fires :D
    Dublin Fire Service have said they are having a busy Hallow'een night in the capital.
    So far they have been mainly dealing with bomb fires across the city.
    There have been no issues reported as a result of the water restrictions that have been imposed by the City Council.

Bomb fires ? people must be inserting bombs into these crazy bonfires ?.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1031/483711-water-restrictions/

Back to basics RTE, one eagle eyed cherry caught that ridiculous explanation of a bonfire. You will get no tv licence from me with that mistake. I will pay for perfection, not school-kid grammar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

lived in Sydney ten years ago and it amazed me how little anyone bothered with Haloween

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

dubmick wrote: »
    lived in Sydney ten years ago and it amazed me how little anyone bothered with Haloween

Yes, door to door begging has never been the done thing in Oz :pac: .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I hadn't fed the dog in two days in anticipatory and not one kid

The Aussie wrote: »
    Yes, door to door begging has never been the done thing in Oz :pac: .....
    Yeah harassing people for money waiting for buses/trains is much more australian.

Although with the heads on some of them you'd swear it was Halloween...shudder

Yeah harassing people for money waiting for buses/trains is much more australian.

Although with the heads on some of them you'd swear it was Halloween...shudder

Long time since you walked an Irish street I presume :rolleyes:

two more for effect :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Suppose it gives the unemployed masses something to do though :cool:

two more for effect :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Suppose it gives the unemployed masses something to do though :cool:
    Begging is more striking here as there isn't a shortage of work, probably an easier climate to be homeless in.

• Advertisement

catbear wrote: »
    Begging is more striking here as there isn't a shortage of work.

Yep, I noticed that during the Celtic Con ;)

I was probably in Ireland about as recently as you've been in australia ;)

I was probably in Ireland about as recently as you've been in australia ;)

Yes, of course you know how often I make it home :rolleyes:

So did you make it to the poor mans Birmingham scummy old Dublin to see them lined up begging, best thing about the first frost of the year is it thins out the bluffers...

Yes, of course you know how often I make it home :rolleyes:

So did you make it to the poor mans Birmingham scummy old Dublin to see them lined up begging, best thing about the first frost of the year is it thins out the bluffers...
    Ah here, you think coming from a prison gives you any bragging rites?

catbear wrote: »
    Ah here, you think coming from a prison gives you any bragging rites?

I don't care about the others too much to be honest, because....

I'm descended from a bloke called Alexander Mackenzie.
    Who made his money as a slave trader* in the Caribbean and also transporting Convicts to Australia who finally settled in Bathurst in NSW after he had been given huge tracts of land for fulfilling a contract, that and mums side were Paddies so that does not count for all that much I'm afraid...

* Every family has a skeleton or two in the closet :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

Last year I threw the Halloween sweets out at Christmas, this year I gave out over 400 pieces before 7 pm. One house had a sarky note but most of our suburb participated, we had 2 haunted houses on our street with graves and zombies (scared the fcuk out of me) and the kiddies had a blast. Definitely becoming more popular in Brisbane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

My Daughter went out with her friends and got a big bag full of crap each.
    We got a load of sweets in and only one knock on the door. Since been told that you have to 'show' that you are participating in Halloween by putting a decoration or something so the kids will know to come begging.
    Went to a Halloween party last night with adults and kids, and everyone dressed up and got into the spirit of it. Superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

If you talk to Australians, they'll tell you it's becoming more popular. That's my experience anyway

Advertisement