Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Danske bank to close retail customer accounts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

ABC101 wrote: »
    Hmmm that could be what is happening... Still, no news at my end, however I did get a new password card last week for logging in online.

Perhaps by the end of the month their will be movement.

I believe the article in a recent newspaper stated they'd be writing out to everyone by the end of the month. We'll see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pricewise987

nikinova wrote: »
    Hello,
    I have a few questions that I am hoping someone could advise me on...

I have a car loan with danske over two years and a debit card with a lovely 1500 over draft facility on it...this helps me so much as I always hit the red towards end of month and my overdraft gets cleared each month.

My question is...when I do the switch who takes over my loan? Also will the new bank give me an overdraft like the on I had? If not I think I am screwed!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

N

You will have to combine the car loan and the overdraft into a new personal loan with Danske...

A new bank will not take on legacy debt.....

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Brodick

Hi

I haven't switched yet and am hoping for some helpful advice on the best bank to call home in future.

Issues such as efficiency in switching and fees and charges are my main concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

@Brodick. If fees an issue, then best option in that respect is PTSB. As regards efficiency of switching, they have a switchover service but your mileage may vary. Some switch without issue but I read a recent report on here saying switching was clunky (maybe even in this very thread?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Just signed up with PTSB yesterday... in there for about 10 minutes at 3.30pm yesterday and was able to access account online by 5pm.

I asked them what precisely the 'switch buddy' did and basically all they do is ring up companies who you've got a direct debit with an inform them of the account change. That's it.

So i told them not to do that and just open the current account as if i was a new customer. I'll manually change everything over myself in my own time and shut down the Danske stuff when i'm happy it's all in order. That way, i can be 100% sure there'll be no **** ups along the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

@Brodick. If fees an issue, then best option in that respect is PTSB. As regards efficiency of switching, they have a switchover service but your mileage may vary. Some switch without issue but I read a recent report on here saying switching was clunky (maybe even in this very thread?).

That may have been me - i haven't found the switching process with the 'buddies' all that great
    smemon wrote: »
    Just signed up with PTSB yesterday... in there for about 10 minutes at 3.30pm yesterday and was able to access account online by 5pm.

I asked them what precisely the 'switch buddy' did and basically all they do is ring up companies who you've got a direct debit with an inform them of the account change. That's it.

So i told them not to do that and just open the current account as if i was a new customer. I'll manually change everything over myself in my own time and shut down the Danske stuff when i'm happy it's all in order. That way, i can be 100% sure there'll be no **** ups along the way.

That is what i wish i had done - managed the direct debit switch overs myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I have a business account (I'm a sole trader) with Danske.

Will that be closed too?

Also, does anyone have the list of Post Offices that accept cheque lodgements in Dublin south city?

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Dinarius wrote: »
    Also, does anyone have the list of Post Offices that accept cheque lodgements in Dublin south city?

Thanks.

D.

Here's the link from their page:
    http://www.danskebank.ie/PDF/About-the-Bank/Post-office-roll-out-timetable.pdf

You can do a search on the An Post website and in the drop down box, it allows you to select Post Office that accept Danske Bank cheque lodgements.

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/at+your+local+Post+Office.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

No letter yet from bank. I guess next week it is so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

No news at my end either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

They said in an email they sent to my husband a week or so ago that they'd be sending letters in early February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Nor me neither. So it's February then. Let's wait and see. If it is February it will mean anyone with a Danske credit card will be liable for the €30.00 government levy

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mundogas

By the the looks of things that levy will have to be paid anyway. Have a zero balance on my account and sent a message to Danske to cancel my credit card yesterday. Was told I had to pay the €30.00 government levy before they would cancel it and they would then send me a letter for my next credit card provider to say it had been paid. No big deal I guess so long as you are getting another credit card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

smemon wrote: »

You did the right thing. I let them go at switching everything. The rang me to tell me they were starting the switch. The next thing I knew they had closed my Danske current account without informing me that they were going to do it. That meant that for the next couple of weeks there was no income as we have two income sources and neither would take the new account details over the phone. Both needed forms signed and sent to them before they would transfer the payments.
    I had intended leaving the old account running alongside the new one until everything was switched but PTSB made a mess of that.
    And I still had to contact all the companies that had direct debits as most of them needed new direct debit mandates signed.
    So "switch buddy" is a waste as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Has anyone received notification from companies that are paid by direct debit referring to the Danske closure and asking them to provide new bank details

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

cunnijo wrote: »
    Has anyone received notification from companies that are paid by direct debit referring to the Danske closure and asking them to provide new bank details

Nope, no letter re account or the Offset mortgage. So until they do and decide they want to break our contract or pay me off I wont be contacting them.

Still nothing here,

I can see this slipping again and again, "next month....ahhh. It will be next week...no no no I promise it will be the end of the month.......no it will definitely be next month",

The website was offline briefly this morning... Came back on again around noon.

I suspect there may actually be nobody left working in Airton Close before we get our letters!

Uh oh....

More log in problems as at 1710 hrs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Got this reply from an email I sent asking them when I should hear from them and also about unused cheques. Hope you find it helpful.

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm your notification has not been issued yet, this process is taking place in different stages.

We have been informed there is no change to any Banking facilities you hold with us today and you will not need to take any action until you hear from us. We will be writing to all customers in the coming weeks clarifying the impact of this announcement on the products or services you use today and to explain next steps. You will get at least 2 months notice before any products or services are withdrawn.

We have also updated our website , www.danskebank.ie , to provide you with the most up to date information we have at this time. We will continue to update the website on an ongoing basis.

For a refund of the stamp duty for your cheque book please return this to the address provided below:

Danske Bank
    Direct Channels
    1 Airton Close
    Tallaght
    Dublin 24

Best regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

mundogas wrote: »
    By the the looks of things that levy will have to be paid anyway. Have a zero balance on my account and sent a message to Danske to cancel my credit card yesterday. Was told I had to pay the €30.00 government levy before they would cancel it and they would then send me a letter for my next credit card provider to say it had been paid. No big deal I guess so long as you are getting another credit card.

same story with me, I cant understand why I should pay this? I already have another existing credit card that I have paid levy on.

I mean how can they levy me for a service they wont be renewing?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

juneg wrote: »
    same story with me, I cant understand why I should pay this? I already have another existing credit card that I have paid levy on.

Is it not a case that once you have the card on 1st Jan - then the govt. is taking it - and that's that? ...even if you subsequently went without a card once danske finishes up?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

juneg wrote: »

The stamp duty is paid in arrears on 31 March or on earlier closure. If you don't want to pay 2 lots of stamp duty, don't have 2 cards. If the other card is a replacement card for the Danske Bank one, I would be surprised if they've already levied the Stamp Duty on opening. This doesn't sound right.

I've had 4 credit cards in the last 10 years. All would have had stamp duty to be paid on closure, but you are given a letter to forward to your new card supplier to ensure you don't get charged twice in year.

Personally, I think stamp duty on credit cards is quite a good deterrent against holding multiple cards, which would be more commonplace in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭branners69

ABC101 wrote: »
    Uh oh....

More log in problems as at 1710 hrs

What log in problems are you having?

When I log in I can see my balance but I get an error when I try to do anything else! The app seems to be working ok.

branners69 wrote: »
    What log in problems are you having?

When I log in I can see my balance but I get an error when I try to do anything else! The app seems to be working ok.

Well those problems were two days ago, but my phone would not log in to Danske. I would just get a yellow banner at the bottom of the screen saying login error. It would not allow me in, I was stuck at the log on page.

It happened twice on the same day, but the problem only lasted less than an hour, I logged in this morning ok and I can see everything etc

Perhaps they are trying to force us out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

While their banking app is great, it can be less than graceful when dealing with errrors compared to accessing it via a browser.

I was trying to amend a standing order the other day and kept getting errors with the app. Through a browser I could see that the transaction had already been initiated for the next day and was beyond editing

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

Sorry this isnt related directly, but im switching to PTSB from Danske, and just on the proof of address needed, would a print off from my online accounts, phone,esb etc do. Or would i have to ring up and get them to sent one out? Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

wazzer1 wrote: »
    Sorry this isnt related directly, but im switching to PTSB from Danske, and just on the proof of address needed, would a print off from my online accounts, phone,esb etc do. Or would i have to ring up and get them to sent one out? Cheers.

I just opened a ptsb account today, print off will do, as it will for previous statements if any are needed btw. I did it in the branch and was out again in ten minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

Thanks alot, alot less hassle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Probably no harm to ring them and ask by the way just to be sure. I booked at appointment over the phone first before heading into the branch which made it handier and no waiting around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭branners69

wazzer1 wrote: »

They wanted 3 months of my Danske statements and this had my address on it, so they accepted it as proof of address. They said if it was a utility bill it would have to be an original not an estatement. This was the O'Connell Street branch 3 weeks ago!

Advertisement