Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Danske bank to close retail customer accounts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

Hi guys,

i called Danske on Monday, they confirmed that I had not yet been written to, and that I had 2 months from date of letter.

i've already started the transfer process with PTSB.

Will I be ok? Or should I get the funds out of the account immediately?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Charlie Weston should be held accountable for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭cml387

Charlie Weston should be held accountable for this.
    In fairness a subeditor could have sexed it up.
    We are seeing it on the online version, I don't know what the paper has on this story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Hi guys,

i called Danske on Monday, they confirmed that I had not yet been written to, and that I had 2 months from date of letter.

i've already started the transfer process with PTSB.

Will I be ok? Or should I get the funds out of the account immediately?

Check out the posts above, Newstalk reported incorrect information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Contacted Danske this morning They confirmed that the news reports are totally inaccurate and were trying to correct it and that there was no need to panic. They stated that it is 2 months fro receipt of the letter for current accounts and 3 months for credit cards. As it stands there are still a lot of customers who still have received any letters (including me). Very bad reporting by both the Indo and News Talk

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I cannot move any of my funds in my current account at the moment. All future direct debits and standing orders have been deleted by Danske, including one for 10/02/2014.

I have an account with Ulster Bank but I was waiting before that standing order went through to give them the go ahead for the switch. Not sure if I can get anything from the ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

cml387 wrote: »
    In fairness a subeditor could have sexed it up.
    We are seeing it on the online version, I don't know what the paper has on this story.

his twitter feed say "Bank locks 10,000 customers out of their accounts"

his twitter feed say "Bank locks 10,000 customers out of their accounts"

Hmmm...

I'm sure he'll be on Matt Cooper justifying his actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 romadidas

The answer to the issue of credit record and the "repayment option" struck me overnight. Of course it will affect your credit record. Here's why. Without a doubt, the option will be registered with the credit bureau. So any potential lender checking your credit bureau records after, say, mid-2014, who sees a credit card registered as NIB/Danske and still taking repayments, will know that it has to have been the subject of one of those "repayment options". So, without doing any further probing they'll know that the person concerned either wouldn't or couldn't get the money together to pay off their credit card debt at this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭branners69

I couldnt transfer any funds from my account this morning. My account has changed to a credit holding account?

So I went down and withdrew it all and lodged it into TSB. The €6 I couldnt get out I spent in Dunnes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,381 ✭✭✭positron

Looking back, I remember getting a from NIB just before Christmas as I was packing my bags to leave the country on holidays, and I am just back over the weekend.

I signed on to my account this morning and closed the eSaver account and transferred those funds to the current (Easy Plus?) account, which came up instantaneously in the current account. And then made one large transfer of most of my funds to my Ulster Bank account. Fingers crossed Ulster Banks IT systems holds up for all this last minute panic transfers today and the money turns up there sooner than later (anyone know how many days will it take for such a transfer?)

I have kept 5k+ euro in the Danske account still, as I don't want to be in breach of their conditions of it being the primary account for the tracker mortgage. I know that is not valid when they are asking me to close the account, but unless I get a complete and clear answer from Danske about the mortgage (they have my house deed after all), I am not going to break any clauses. Question now is will I instruct payroll to pay into Ulster yet..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Danske rep said that those with more than just accounts ie Mortgage holders, will be contacted in the next 2 months.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Danske are a shower of f*cking bastards. Shut my account today without a letter of notification which has left me with no funds over the weekend, my employer is on holidays this past few weeks and has not been able to switch the wages (which are due to be paid on Monday) to my new Ulster Bank account either, so I won't get them until later on in the week.

Absolute joke and even more annoying is the fact that there will be no accountability for it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

cournioni wrote: »
    Danske are a shower of f*cking bastards. Shut my account today without a letter of notification which has left me with no funds over the weekend, my employer is on holidays this past few weeks and has not been able to switch the wages (which are due to be paid on Monday) to my new Ulster Bank account either, so I won't get them until later on in the week.

Absolute joke and even more annoying is the fact that there will be no accountability for it.

WOW, thats shocking stuff. They CLAIMED on the radio today that those first group of accounts got letter before Xmas and that they are monitoring account activities, if nothing is happening then they think the account is closed.

But they can't close an account like that !!!!!! I'd say go to the regulator but my granny would be more competent than bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

yop wrote: »
    Danske rep said that those with more than just accounts ie Mortgage holders, will be contacted in the next 2 months.

Another 2 months for word about mortgage holders... ffs.

WOW, thats shocking stuff. They CLAIMED on the radio today that those first group of accounts got letter before Xmas and that they are monitoring account activities, if nothing is happening then they think the account is closed.

But they can't close an account like that !!!!!! I'd say go to the regulator but my granny would be more competent than bunch.
    I can only say that we did receive notificaction before Christmas that the date would be 21st and another letter this week reminding us of the deadline.

So they are doing something...in my case anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 paflairl

Not sure if I am supposed to attach links,apologies if not, link to the RTE website below which seems to clarify the media reports this morning.

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2014/0207/502829-ptsb-danske-bank/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

I still haven't heard anything from Danske. However I've gotten letters from both Vodafone and Airtricity telling me that Danske will cease operating next Friday and for me to move my direct debit. I thought we were supposed to get 2 months from when we were notified?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

I still haven't heard anything from Danske. However I've gotten letters from both Vodafone and Airtricity telling me that Danske will cease operating next Friday and for me to move my direct debit. I thought we were supposed to get 2 months from when we were notified?

Still haven't heard myself... its probably confusing for Airtricity and Vodafone.... they are probably not aware of the phased nature of the rollout and those with mortgages etc. are being dealt with last. So I would suspect Airtricity and Vodafone are wrong in your case.

Sit tight...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Hi
    I got the letter from Vodafone also. The date they quote is one of 5 dates that Danske have listed as closure dates. Two of these dated have passed (or in 1 case tomorrow) and the other dates are in March and the end of April. When I spoke with Vodafone this morning they confirmed this. So ignore these letters until you receive the official one from Danske.

Note closure dates mentioned above do not include mortgage related accounts, just the standard current & savings accounts.

• Advertisement

Same as that, Eirtricity emailed.
    Still zero communication with regards the closure.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Brodick

I haven't received the "letter" from Danske but have been contacted by Sky and others re Direct Debits.

I spoke to Danske who said my letter isn't yet issued so I still have 2 months grace.

I've opened an account with BOI but their service is appalling. I told them my Danske accounts were closing on Friday (I thought they were) but have had little or nothing from BOI despite having started this process 4 weeks ago.

Hopefully they will get their act together soon. The extra 2 months should be enough even for BOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

Given the grief my other half went through trying to move her elderly mothers account out of Danske. It might be prudent to start the move early as possible. Not the most 'customer focused' crowd in the world......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

I believe Custody accounts will be transferred to another institution sometime over next few months... provided the account holder agrees.

Still awaiting any letter for credit card and current account and what is happening with Offsets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I have a "feeder" account for my Danske bank mortgage, and just got the paperwork in the post today. The closing date for the account is late May.

It all looks pretty straightforward (as I already have a "main" current account with another bank). There's a form to fill in which asks for the IBAN of the account to be closed (which is provided on another sheet), and the details of the account I want to transfer to. Then I just need to sign it, include a copy of ID and proof of address, and post it back to them. They'll then transfer any balance to my nominated "new" account.

There is a booklet included, which may answer the two outstanding questions I have (haven't had time to read it yet):
    1. I have a standing order that transfers money from another bank into this account, for the purpose of feeding the mortgage. I presume I'll need to alter that SO to go straight to the mortgage account instead.
    2. There is a another form included to deal with TRS, and that form is confusing me at first glance. A very casual glimpse at lunchtime made it look as if I was surrendering my TRS to Danske Bank. Presumably I've picked that up wrong. At the moment the TRS is lodged into my Danske Bank current account every month - I presume that in future it will be lodged to my other bank, but I'm not clear on how to make that happen.

Thoie wrote: »
    I have a "feeder" account for my Danske bank mortgage, and just got the paperwork in the post today. The closing date for the account is late May.

It all looks pretty straightforward (as I already have a "main" current account with another bank). There's a form to fill in which asks for the IBAN of the account to be closed (which is provided on another sheet), and the details of the account I want to transfer to. Then I just need to sign it, include a copy of ID and proof of address, and post it back to them. They'll then transfer any balance to my nominated "new" account.

There is a booklet included, which may answer the two outstanding questions I have (haven't had time to read it yet):
    1. I have a standing order that transfers money from another bank into this account, for the purpose of feeding the mortgage. I presume I'll need to alter that SO to go straight to the mortgage account instead.
    2. There is a another form included to deal with TRS, and that form is confusing me at first glance. A very casual glimpse at lunchtime made it look as if I was surrendering my TRS to Danske Bank. Presumably I've picked that up wrong. At the moment the TRS is lodged into my Danske Bank current account every month - I presume that in future it will be lodged to my other bank, but I'm not clear on how to make that happen.

Thanks for the info, presume its not an offset mortgage?

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭legrand

I got my letter regarding account closure dates. So I knew my savings account was due to close Feb 21. In advance of that cleared any/all SO/DD's etc and moved monies to new bank account elsewhere.

I left 45c in the account.

Today logged in and account has disappeared completely with no 45c or interest recociliation. Wonder what would have happened had I 100's or 1000's in the account.

By the way - to any of you have not opened new bank accounts elsewhere - be prepared to go back 10-15 years in terms of on-line/mobile banking. Truly awful experience compared to Dankse features/ease of use/depth of information.

Thanks for the info, presume its not an offset mortgage?
    No, that's a tracker mortgage, and the account that's closing is used solely to service the mortgage. Currently I transfer money into it at the start of each month, and a few days later the money goes out again to the mortgage. The TRS is also lodged to the account on a monthly basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Any mention of the big tracker write down ;-)

• Advertisement

Any mention of the big tracker write down ;-)

It certainly wasn't a headline ;) Will need to read through the stuff more carefully later. IIRC it mentioned the mortgage account, but just to say that it wasn't being closed on foot of this notice.

Advertisement