Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Danske bank to close retail customer accounts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DiscoFever

I got my letter from them yesterday. I have current account, credit card and SVR mortgage. Current account closure date is 23rd May and Credit Card is 25th April. Credit card notice is 2 months even though their site had 3 months quoted up until this week, conveniently it is now 2 months! In the grand scheme of things I suppose it doesnt really matter. Nothing about the mortgage only an instruction to arrange to pay from new current account. I have set up new current account with PTSB but I didn't go for switch buddy (due to bad reports), so I just need to transfer DD's etc myself.

I did nothing about the credit card yet, it has quite a big balance, approx 8k (eek!) so I can't see any other bank letting me transfer balance (mind you I haven't actually checked yet!). Even with the 24 month option I couldnt see myself being able to make the payments so I rang them and advised this and they are referring me to their credit team who will send me a "Financial Hardship package" which I need to fill in and send back to them and then their Credit team will contact me to see what else can be done, possibly a term loan. I asked him what exactly this package is and the guy couldn't tell me as he is not in the credit team, I said I was not in financial difficulty, have never missed a payment on anything, have a perfect credit rating and the only reason I can't pay off is due to the bank pulling out and the deadline given. He was sympathetic but he couldn't advise if my credit rating would be affected if the credit card balance is converted into a term loan, he advised I would have to speak to the Credit team after I return this hardship package. Before anyone lectures, I am fully aware that the credit card balance is my own fault, but I have never missed a payment and fully intend to pay it off in full. I am looking at other options of transferring balance or credit union loan to just get rid of it. And I will have a look at this package when it arrives and speak to their credit team at that point.

Is anyone else in this situation, have you converted CC to a term loan? Do you know if your credit rating will be affected? Will it look like you defaulted on a credit card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

DiscoFever wrote: »
    I got my letter from them yesterday. I have current account, credit card and SVR mortgage. Current account closure date is 23rd May and Credit Card is 25th April. Credit card notice is 2 months even though their site had 3 months quoted up until this week, conveniently it is now 2 months! In the grand scheme of things I suppose it doesnt really matter. Nothing about the mortgage only an instruction to arrange to pay from new current account. I have set up new current account with PTSB but I didn't go for switch buddy (due to bad reports), so I just need to transfer DD's etc myself.

I did nothing about the credit card yet, it has quite a big balance, approx 8k (eek!) so I can't see any other bank letting me transfer balance (mind you I haven't actually checked yet!). Even with the 24 month option I couldnt see myself being able to make the payments so I rang them and advised this and they are referring me to their credit team who will send me a "Financial Hardship package" which I need to fill in and send back to them and then their Credit team will contact me to see what else can be done, possibly a term loan. I asked him what exactly this package is and the guy couldn't tell me as he is not in the credit team, I said I was not in financial difficulty, have never missed a payment on anything, have a perfect credit rating and the only reason I can't pay off is due to the bank pulling out and the deadline given. He was sympathetic but he couldn't advise if my credit rating would be affected if the credit card balance is converted into a term loan, he advised I would have to speak to the Credit team after I return this hardship package. Before anyone lectures, I am fully aware that the credit card balance is my own fault, but I have never missed a payment and fully intend to pay it off in full. I am looking at other options of transferring balance or credit union loan to just get rid of it. And I will have a look at this package when it arrives and speak to their credit team at that point.

Is anyone else in this situation, have you converted CC to a term loan? Do you know if your credit rating will be affected? Will it look like you defaulted on a credit card?

halifax did the exact same when they pulled out of ireland, all existing balances were converted to term loans. credit rating not affected.

TSB are doing 0% bal transfer. suggest applying to them for as much bal transfer as possibke and get a CU loan for remainder. should be doing this anyway. call into one of their branches, theyre actually quite decent to deal with.

tesco doing 0% bal transfer as well but their credit limits are next to useless, circa 1.5-2k.

even if you didnt transfer the balance, Id guess the term loan would be at a significantly lower rate then the current CC rate.

DiscoFever wrote: »
    In fairness the group is only active 1 day, it takes time for word to get out. Everything has to start somewhere

Also, I wouldnt say its a militant protest group, more an informational thing. how does one find the group on the facebook app on a phone, not getting anything searching for danske

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Also, I wouldnt say its a militant protest group, more an informational thing. how does one find the group on the facebook app on a phone, not getting anything searching for danske

I did a check there, if you type in "Danske rip" it will be there
    27 likes already. ;)

halifax did the exact same when they pulled out of ireland, all existing balances were converted to term loans. credit rating not affected.

TSB are doing 0% bal transfer. suggest applying to them for as much bal transfer as possibke and get a CU loan for remainder. should be doing this anyway. call into one of their branches, theyre actually quite decent to deal with.

tesco doing 0% bal transfer as well but their credit limits are next to useless, circa 1.5-2k.

even if you didnt transfer the balance, Id guess the term loan would be at a significantly lower rate then the current CC rate.

Thanks for the reply, that's interesting about Halifax, hopefully Danske will be the same. The "Financial Hardship package" name makes me think it might affect my credit rating though - like asking me to admit I am in financial difficulty? I will reserve judgement until said package arrives though and then contact the Credit team in Danske.

In the meantime I will pursue all other options, I will get onto PTSB today about a balance transfer, thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I had to fill out one of these forms as with my other debts, there is no way I could pay off the balance in 2 years.

the figures I entered are well below the monthly reasonable living expenses for bankrupts, but still danske decided I was not a hardship case.

Their refusal to lengthen the term has affected my credit rating as I am under paying every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dave o D

Have just rang customer service on the offset mortgage question and they confirmed that the 1% reduction on the offset rate if you have a prestige account is 3.15 % they do take the prestige reduction into account still don't know if this is a good enough offer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Dave o D wrote: »
    Have just rang customer service on the offset mortgage question and they confirmed that the 1% reduction on the offset rate if you have a prestige account is 3.15 % they do take the prestige reduction into account still don't know if this is a good enough offer though.

depends on how much you offset by and your future plans but in most cases its not good enough

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Every individual case is different, in my case its no where near good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 nicky5mx

Still no reply from Danske Bank following complaint on banking app 2 days ago.

Rang this morning to be told that they have 5 days to reply. Would not give a complaint reference over the phone.

Funny thing is that the ombudsman will only investigate the matter after the bank responds. Bank has two months to respond which funny enough is the timeframe they will be closing all the accounts.

Does not make sense at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Tracker Mortgage Feeder account details

Just got off the phone with them about the DD/TRS etc. It turns out they did send everything I need (it's just worded badly OR I can't read properly).

This info is all based on me. Starting scenario:
    • I have a tracker mortgage with DB.
    • That tracker mortgage has an associated "feeder" account (with DB).
    • I have another current account with BankA (where my wages are paid into, and bills are paid from). I have a SO set up that transfers money each month from BankA to the feeder account. The mortgage then pulls from the feeder account a few days later. My TRS is deposited into the feeder account.

Forms I received:
    • Closing your Personal Account(s) - enter your DB feeder account details under "Danske Bank Account(s) Details". Enter your BankA account details under "Beneficiary Account Details". Fill in and sign the other bits. Provide copies of Photo ID and proof of address (grrr :mad:)
    • SEPA Core Direct Debit Mandate - this is the confusing one, as in red letters down the bottom it says "I hereby authorise you to credit the above account with any funds received in respect of the TRS in relation to my mortgage accounts". What confused me is that there will be two accounts "above". But anyway. From speaking to the guy on the phone, that is the form that will set up a DD pulling money from BankA to pay your mortgage each month. The TRS will then be deposited into BankA.

It can take about 10 days for everything to get sorted, so the guy on the phone suggested waiting until just after the mortgage has been paid and the TRS lodged, and then posting in the forms, giving plenty of time before the next payment date, to avoid any hiccoughs.

So it's all far more straightforward than they made it appear. For me, at least.
    1. Fill out "closing accounts" with feeder a/c and BankA a/c details
    2. Photocopy ID and proof of address
    3. Fill out "direct debit mandate" with mortgage a/c number and BankA details
    4. Stick everything in prepaid envelope
    5. Post

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭earlyapex

Thoie
    I have the exact same arrangement as you.
    Watch it that Danske don't start thinking that because the original agreement, terms and conditions for the tracker are now null and void because you agreed to the changed terms and conditions that this makes your tracker rate void too.

They will try to weasle their way out of trackers and I think they are trying to pull a fast one here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

That's interesting news... but for how long will the 1% reduction remain in force... I assume it will be the life of the mortgage.

Next question... for how long will 3.15% be the going rate before it is increased to 4% and then 5%?

earlyapex wrote: »
    Thoie
    I have the exact same arrangement as you.
    Watch it that Danske don't start thinking that because the original agreement, terms and conditions for the tracker are now null and void because you agreed to the changed terms and conditions that this makes your tracker rate void too.

They will try to weasle their way out of trackers and I think they are trying to pull a fast one here.

In the "authorisation" bit where it says "I confirm that the Account(s) may be closed." I'm adding "as per your request. As per our original mortgage agreement, I am happy to keep this account open for the full term of my mortgage (#12345)."

I'll be photocopying that and keeping it on file. I'll also be writing a cover letter to go with it asking for written confirmation that the account was closed on their request, and that the closure will have no impact on my mortgage. I suspect I won't get a reply to that, but I'll have that on file too.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I had to full out one of these forms as with my other debts, there is no way I could pay off the balance in 2 years.

the figures I entered are well below the monthly reasonable living expenses for bankrupts, but still danske decided I was not a hardship case.

There refusal to lengthen the term has effected my credit rating as I am under paying every month.

Oh that doesn't sound good, so you are stuck with the 2 year term and bad credit rating, very unfair. I will be in the same situation I would say, my montly repayment going by the figures they suggested (€48 on €1000) would be almost €400 per month! There is no way I could do that. I'll have to work on different option. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭earlyapex

Thoie wrote: »
    In the "authorisation" bit where it says "I confirm that the Account(s) may be closed." I'm adding "as per your request. As per our original mortgage agreement, I am happy to keep this account open for the full term of my mortgage (#12345)."

I'll be photocopying that and keeping it on file. I'll also be writing a cover letter to go with it asking for written confirmation that the account was closed on their request, and that the closure will have no impact on my mortgage. I suspect I won't get a reply to that, but I'll have that on file too.

I don't think altering official documents will do you any good if you need them to.
    Really what is going on is they are changing the contact and they don't have the right to.
    The feeder account is not treated as a current account as it is part of the mortgage product and therefore can't be separated out and treated differently.

I will not be going along with what they want me to do just to suit them. What they want is illegal.

Just got response to say my complaint has been lodged.
    An advisor will be in contact.

Ombudsman said to exhaust their channels first before they can look at it.

Time is of the essence, this is why they have 2 months on this now.

earlyapex wrote: »
    I don't think altering official documents will do you any good if you need them to.
    Really what is going on is they are changing the contact and they don't have the right to.
    The feeder account is not treated as a current account as it is part of the mortgage product and therefore can't be separated out and treated differently.

I will not be going along with what they want me to do just to suit them. What they want is illegal.
    I will go along, and assume they are all lovely people with my best interests at heart, and all they want to do is make life wonderful for me. "Trust in Danske, and keep your powder dry."

If things go pear shaped, my solicitor will be able to point out to them that I made it clear that I was happy to stick to the original agreement, and they were the ones that broke it, not me. I have too many other things going on in my life - I'm not going to pick a fight with them unless it's necessary.

Everything they've said so far has pointed to them keeping the mortgages, and getting rid of the accounts that could have day-to-day transactions. It may well be that they're keeping the mortgage closures under their hat for the moment, and will spring it on us later, but for now I'll take them at face value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

I know that this is slightly off topic but I wanted to post this to warn people who have changed or might be changing to Permanent TSB. The scammers are at it again.
    I changed last month and this morning I got an email supposedly from TSB (1st photo)

I thought it was genuine at first until I clicked on "Log in to Open24" Firefox immediately recognised it as a scam site but if you chose to ignore the warning you continue on to a page that looks exactly like TSB's log in page.(2nd photo)
    The url of the page gives it away that its a scam and most people wouldn't fall for it but some could.
    How they got my email I have no idea.

Capture.jpg

Capture1.jpg

yop wrote: »
    I did a check there, if you type in "Danske rip" it will be there
    27 likes already. ;)

:( not finding it. searched groups for "danske rip" "danske ripoff" and many variations of same.. can get to url in browser but not through app...

• Advertisement

:( not finding it. searched groups for "danske rip" "danske ripoff" and many variations of same.. can get to url in browser but not through app...

You must have a cheap phone or an iPhone :D

Not sure tbh, I tried it here on the phone and thats how I got it! Sorry :(

yeah, iphone. searched dankse, danske ripping off, danske ripoff

searched groups, people, communities,

nothing. I'll have a look tonight

maybe thats why the uptake is lowish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I searched for it on my phone in the browser, in the app and on my computer and I couldn't find it. You were probably able to find it because you've liked it already or set it up.

I searched for it on my phone in the browser, in the app and on my computer and I couldn't find it. You were probably able to find it because you've liked it already or set it up.

I will have a look on my wifes phone, if you open this page on your phone, you can click on the link?

https://www.facebook.com/DanskeRipOff

I will have a look on my wifes phone, if you open this page on your phone, you can click on the link?

https://www.facebook.com/DanskeRipOff

Yeah the link works fine. It's just that when I actually search for it it doesn't matter what I type in, it doesn't come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Reggie 365

Yeah the link works fine. It's just that when I actually search for it it doesn't matter what I type in, it doesn't come up.

type in 'Danske Bank ripping off Customers ' in search field. This is actual name of page and should locate it for you.

Reggie 365 wrote: »
    type in 'Danske Bank ripping off Customers ' in search field. This is actual name of page and should locate it for you.

Nope, tried that too. :) Didn't work.

Edit: Weird, just tried it again and it worked.

Nope, tried that too. :) Didn't work.

Edit: Weird, just tried it again and it worked.

In my game, its called "User error" :D

In my game, its called "User error" :D

Whose error is it if I copied and pasted from the page and it didn't work. ;)

• Advertisement

Ok, got this from the ombudsman
    Please refer to the following statement that we received from Danske Bank.

Statement
    Danske Bank continues to write to customers regarding the withdrawal of personal banking services. Recent letters issued include letters to customers with mortgages in addition to their current, credit card or savings account facilities. Where a customer has a tracker, standard variable or fixed rate mortgage, the facility continues as per its existing terms and conditions although the customer will now need to service that mortgage from their new financial provider.
    Included in the recent mailing are letters to some customers who hold an Offset Mortgage alongside their current or savings account. Offset mortgages make up approximately 2% of the Bank's overall mortgage book. The letters issued provide customers with two months’ notice of the closure of their current or savings account(s) which may form part of an Offset Portfolio, in line with the general terms and conditions. The general terms and conditions provide for termination in the manner which the Bank is notifying and implementing.

The usage of the offset option varies between customers. The mailing confirms that the Bank will reduce the rate by 1% on all offset mortgages regardless of the extent to which the offset option was utilised by the customer. This reduction in rate will be applicable to fixed or variable offset mortgages. The vast majority of customers have variable rate offset products with no customers on a tracker rate for this product.

Where a customer also has a mortgage discount as part of their current account package, the 1% offset discount will be applicable in addition to that discount, despite the closure of their current account package.

End of Statement

Please note that the Central Bank of Ireland does not investigate individual consumer complaints. However, if you are unhappy with the service you have received from a firm which is regulated by the Central Bank you are entitled to make a complaint by writing directly to the firm concerned.

If you are not happy with the response you receive you are entitled to escalate your complaint to the Financial Services Ombudsman (FSO), who has the statutory powers to investigate complaints against financial services providers. Please be aware that the FSO will only consider a case once the internal complaints procedure within the firm concerned has been followed. You can find further information about the FSO at www.financialombudsman.ie

I hope this information is of assistance to you.

Advertisement