Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Danske bank to close retail customer accounts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DiscoFever

Danske never called me back to explain what happened with the debits and credits on 10th March, I tried calling again and got the same response "someone will call you back". So I have sent email through ebanking as I want to know what it going on.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ok, I have received 2 messages online and 1 letter.
    The messages were "We will get an advisor to contact you."
    The letter was that they would contact me in "20 working days".

Going back to the ombudsman as this is ridiculous, they are just counting down until the 25th April. So it will bring me to the 2nd week of April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭robbe

yop wrote: »
    Ok, I have received 2 messages online and 1 letter.
    The messages were "We will get an advisor to contact you."
    The letter was that they would contact me in "20 working days".

Going back to the ombudsman as this is ridiculous, they are just counting down until the 25th April. So it will bring me to the 2nd week of April.

Did the letter not say within 20 working days? Agree re the sentiment of playing for time but I would assume that any favourable decision by the Ombudsman would be retrospective, though I appreciate that this may be a pain as accounts would be closed etc by then. Any update as to how the QFA got on with his attempt to speak to someone up the food chain. I am assuming you haven't called the person mentioned as the point of contact in your letter?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

robbe wrote: »
    Did the letter not say within 20 working days? Agree re the sentiment of playing for time but I would assume that any favourable decision by the Ombudsman would be retrospective, though I appreciate that this may be a pain as accounts would be closed etc by then. Any update as to how the QFA got on with his attempt to speak to someone up the food chain. I am assuming you haven't called the person mentioned as the point of contact in your letter?

Within exactly, I did indeed and she said the same thing.

Totally playing for time.

Waiting back on Padraic Kissane as he was going to speak to someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭robbe

Within exactly, I did indeed and she said the same thing.

Totally playing for time.

Waiting back on Padraic Kissane as he was going to speak to someone.

Thanks for that - intend reading the info leaflet they sent with the letter, for what it's worth tonight and contacting the lady referred to in the letter tomorrow. My documentation on this mortgage is patchy - I was originally on a discounted variable, then a LTV tracker, then the offset mortgage but the only document with any degree of substance is the original mortage document. I don't have a side letter like some on here but that won't stop me from arguing that I signed up for an offset mortgage and they are proposing to remove that facility. Let you know how I get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

I suggest we all write to them again asking for any closures to postponed pending outcomes of the complaints

I suggest we all write to them again asking for any closures to postponed pending outcomes of the complaints

Done that already.

Done that already.

did they agree?

did they agree?

As per all their communication I have got the standard spew of not addressing of the actual issue and my complaint, just kicking the can down the road.

As per all their communication I have got the standard spew of not addressing of the actual issue and my complaint, just kicking the can down the road.

surely the ombudsman could force them to postpone until resolved

• Advertisement

surely the ombudsman could force them to postpone until resolved

I honestly don't know. All I can do it keep kicking.

Has anyone got the letter which they sent out to holders with the original mortgage contract.
    I have the contract, but not the letter.

I would really apprciate it if someone could PM me and I can give them my email.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

I honestly don't know. All I can do it keep kicking.

Has anyone got the letter which they sent out to holders with the original mortgage contract.
    I have the contract, but not the letter.

I would really apprciate it if someone could PM me and I can give them my email.

The way I'm thinking at the moment is....

At worse its breech of contract, Danske seem to be fighting this on the basis that they are not closing all accounts. However, they are preventing you from actually banking with the remaining account so personally think they are on thin ice.

The best (in their context) is that they have mis sold the offset mortgage.

Waiting response from Danske to complaint. Am not optimistic and will be taking it further if required.

kennM wrote: »
    The way I'm thinking at the moment is....

At worse its breech of contract, Danske seem to be fighting this on the basis that they are not closing all accounts. However, they are preventing you from actually banking with the remaining account so personally think they are on thin ice.

The best (in their context) is that they have mis sold the offset mortgage.

Waiting response from Danske to complaint. Am not optimistic and will be taking it further if required.

Very much agree on this point. There is no indication in their T&C's that this product can be removed.

Exactly we took offsets, same way as other took trackers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,051 ✭✭✭✭josip

Exactly we took offsets, same way as other took trackers.

And I can assure you that us trackies are keeping a very keen eye on what happens with you offies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

can someone answer this, I cant even think where mine are.

whos got the mortgage documents? as in deeds to house. do danske hold them or solicitor, the solicitor I used when I was riding the tiger aint there any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,380 ✭✭✭positron

Danske should be holding the deeds.

When I was switching to Danske (from FirstActive - now there's a bank I wouldn't miss!!), I was warned by the person I was dealing with Dankse that they won't get the original deeds for upto an year or so from FirstActive and Danske operates in the meantime based on some sort of deed-insurance-setup. I am guessing that means they will get hold of and keep the deed eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

I believe Danske hold the mortgage documents and deeds in Northern Ireland... probably Belfast.

Once you have paid your mortgage off.. you can ask for the deeds back, takes about 2 weeks and you can collect them in Airton Close.

Obviously you have to sign for them, go through a checklist and produce ID etc

• Registered Users Posts: 42 nicky5mx

Hi all.........I presume at this stage we have all lodged the official complaints and received confirmation from Danske Bank that we will have a reply within 20 working days. I do not expect them change their minds and we will have to go to the Ombudsman without delay. Time is of the essence here as the clock is ticking.

I totally agree that we argue that Danske bank are in breach of the original mortgage agreement and in addition we were also mis-sold the product as the benefits attached to the product were calculated and presented to us over the full term of the mortgage agreement. Just because it suits them to pull out of the Irish market should not mean that the customer should pay more than what we originally agreed and were sold at the time.

It is a little disappointing that the matter is getting very little media attention. I guess because the numbers affected are so small that they do not deem it important news. Pity as this matter does need to be highlighted to give our complaint more bite.

Has anybody heard anything back from Padraic Kissane ? I did e-mail him after he started to post here but I have received no reply. I think we do need somebody like him on our side to fight this as a group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

positron wrote: »
    Danske should be holding the deeds.

When I was switching to Danske (from FirstActive - now there's a bank I wouldn't miss!!), I was warned by the person I was dealing with Dankse that they won't get the original deeds for upto an year or so from FirstActive and Danske operates in the meantime based on some sort of deed-insurance-setup. I am guessing that means they will get hold of and keep the deed eventually.

If the deeds to your property were sent back to the land registry in the last few years they will have been purloined and either destroyed or sent to some warehouse in south Dublin.
    Without as much as a "by your leave" the powers that be decided you no longer wanted them and so, destroyed them.
    Your right to your property now consists of a folio number stored somewhere on a computer.

• Advertisement

Logged on to Danske a few minutes ago... and whilst the basic overview page was displayed (showing balances of mortgage, credit card, current account etc) nothing I clicked on loaded or worked.

The browser did not even show any activity i.e. green circle going around or anything... just a static introduction screen.

So, I had no alternative but to log off... another number on my password card wasted!

ABC101 wrote: »
    Logged on to Danske a few minutes ago... and whilst the basic overview page was displayed (showing balances of mortgage, credit card, current account etc) nothing I clicked on loaded or worked.

The browser did not even show any activity i.e. green circle going around or anything... just a static introduction screen.

So, I had no alternative but to log off... another number on my password card wasted!

No issue with mine, checked it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Brodick

This happens to me too but if I use Google Chrome as my browser it works fine.
    My problem is with my computer not the Danske site. Your's too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Hi all

Just went into my eBanking service, which I can still access until my closing date of the 25th April. While there I went into the "Cards & Currency" section and noticed in the card overview that a new Mastercard credit card has been issued effective to April 2017 and is shown as "Active". Rather strange when they claim to be closing all personnel credit card accounts in the first 6 months of 2014.

Has anyone else noticed this when they logged in?

Well I always use IE as the browser for the computer I currently have.

I do have Firefox installed as well, but this does not work with the Java program, it just hangs with the Java circle going round and round.

But IE works perfectly well with the Danske site... except just one time a few days ago.

I've logged in yesterday and all was o.k. I could see everything and all was normal etc etc.

On my laptop I have Chrome and that works grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Hi

I too have no issues accessing ebanking on any browser. Like ABC101 I usually use IE. But I tested the other browsrs (Firefox, Safari, Chrome & SeaMonkey) and I have had no issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Java hasn't been required for Danske e-banking since before Christmas IIRC.

I uninstalled it and everything still works.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

Just setup accounts with PTSB and got registered on Open24.... feel like I've just stepped back 10 years. Ah well, it is what it is.... has the basics covered so no longer spoiled with some nice functionality.

Still waiting on complaint response from Danske, checked % associated to mortgage and I don't see the %1 knocked off yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Padkiss

Hi all readers and sorry about the delay in responding on this matter. By means of update I spoke initially with the Ombudsman on this issue explaining the amount of possible complaints that may arise on this (apporx 400) but was informed that it was an issue for the Central Bank with that number and if I was to approach it as a group. Then contacted the Central Bank to be told that as far as they understand they believe that Danske are in compliance in regard to the closure of their operations here. I must say that I did not get much satisfaction from the CB which I found confusing. I expressed my opinion that I believe the terms and conditions are being altered and if all was correct with Danske why were the bank offering a discount on the variable rate but this was met with the same reply namely the CB feel they are in compliance with the closure. However they did not address specifically the off set issue. Having reviewed a number of these loans and the dates the loans completed, Tracker margins were available at the time people selected this product. So one type of product is unaffected by the closure and another is entirely altered, it just does not seem correct. I have spoken to a number of Journalists and this should be seeing print in the coming days. I have reviewed fully the terms and conditions of the 'off set' mortage and am commencing a complaint process on behalf of a number of customers of Danske. It appears to me that the only way to get this to complaint is through the FSO (Ombudsman) but these have to be taken individually but would advise all to do so to. Time is also running out Private message me if you wish to add to the number and I will explain more directly where its at. Hope this helps somewhat but this is going to be a fustrating process yet again!!!!!Padraic

• Advertisement

Padkiss wrote: »
    Hi all readers and sorry about the delay in responding on this matter. By means of update I spoke initially with the Ombudsman on this issue explaining the amount of possible complaints that may arise on this (apporx 400) but was informed that it was an issue for the Central Bank with that number and if I was to approach it as a group. Then contacted the Central Bank to be told that as far as they understand they believe that Danske are in compliance in regard to the closure of their operations here. I must say that I did not get much satisfaction from the CB which I found confusing. I expressed my opinion that I believe the terms and conditions are being altered and if all was correct with Danske why were the bank offering a discount on the variable rate but this was met with the same reply namely the CB feel they are in compliance with the closure. However they did not address specifically the off set issue. Having reviewed a number of these loans and the dates the loans completed, Tracker margins were available at the time people selected this product. So one type of product is unaffected by the closure and another is entirely altered, it just does not seem correct. I have spoken to a number of Journalists and this should be seeing print in the coming days. I have reviewed fully the terms and conditions of the 'off set' mortage and am commencing a complaint process on behalf of a number of customers of Danske. It appears to me that the only way to get this to complaint is through the FSO (Ombudsman) but these have to be taken individually but would advise all to do so to. Time is also running out Private message me if you wish to add to the number and I will explain more directly where its at. Hope this helps somewhat but this is going to be a fustrating process yet again!!!!!Padraic

Padraic
    Thanks for the update, so the CB aren't interested then in this? What is it going to take to get them interested?

The ombudsman we each have to deal with individually is that correct?
    Since Danske have responded with the standard "I'll be back" response, we have to wait though for them to come back before we can go to the ombudsman?

What do we do with our accounts though is a question I would ask, they are due to "close" on April 25th, though if we don't do that, will Danske block us accessing them?
    If we do move our funds we then lose out on the Offset and also concede ground to them.

What would you advice people to do.

Thanks for all your work on this.

Advertisement