Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Danske bank to close retail customer accounts

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ryaned40 wrote: »
    Hi, my solicitor today told me that his final thought on this situation is that he has rang around a few associates of his and that they all seem to think that danske bank closing our offset current accounts without our permission is breach of contract of offset mortgage, the one thing they were definite about is that I was under no circumstances was I to close any accounts myself as this would void this argument! That was his final thought but he did say that it could go either way and that if we were to lose the complaint not to take it any further as the cost and power of the banks would eat me up of money in the courts!
    So in short don't close any accounts , let them do it and if it comes out that they were in the wrong it won't come back to haunt you that you signed off on closure! This is just advice that I personally got and I am not telling anyone to do what I have stated ! I just wanted to share what I am going to do with you guys! Still waiting for danske to get back to fso about mediation !

Would agree totally. I am going to leave all our accounts with 200 euro in them, but move the rest of the funds out to existing accounts we had years ago and for some weird reason were never closed! :D

In that way they can't close the account and as said it doesn't show them that we agree with their direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 caleb21

Hi, my solicitor today told me that his final thought on this situation is that he has rang around a few associates of his and that they all seem to think that danske bank closing our offset current accounts without our permission is breach of contract of offset mortgage, the one thing they were definite about is that I was under no circumstances was I to close any accounts myself as this would void this argument! That was his final thought but he did say that it could go either way and that if we were to lose the complaint not to take it any further as the cost and power of the banks would eat me up of money in the courts!
    So in short don't close any accounts , let them do it and if it comes out that they were in the wrong it won't come back to haunt you that you signed off on closure! This is just advice that I personally got and I am not telling anyone to do what I have stated ! I just wanted to share what I am going to do with you guys! Still waiting for danske to get back to fso about mediation !

I am going to do the same thing myself let danske be the 1st one the breach one of the clauses
    but what have you decided to do after that do you refuse to pay unless they abide by the contract
    or do you give them a direct debit and send a letter to say you are paying UNDER DURESS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

When is the closure date again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Ryaned40

caleb21 wrote: »
    I am going to do the same thing myself let danske be the 1st one the breach one of the clauses
    but what have you decided to do after that do you refuse to pay unless they abide by the contract
    or do you give them a direct debit and send a letter to say you are paying UNDER DURESS

Yes set up dd with another current acc as this can go on past closure dates! Main thing is not to break contract on our side or else they can say you also broke your side!

caleb21 wrote: »
    dolallyoh wrote: »
    When is the closure date again ?

My current ac is 23rd May and the 6 savings acc is 25th April

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

My current ac is 23rd May and the 6 savings acc is 25th April

Odd that our to current accounts are closing on 25th of May, I wonder why the difference, their letter says "All customers with Offset Mortgages were notified their accounts will be terminated".
    Not the case though.

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

I had a Danske Credit Card and on my last statement, there is a €40 government fee, they closed the card on the 7th April!
    I have replaced the card with a new one and there is a charge of €40 on that one.
    How do I have to pay 2 charges this as the Danske card is closed on the 7th Apri?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Card duty is €30.

I've the same issue, my new bank PTSB did say that they would probably(!) have to charge me the duty (and they now have charged me), but I could get a letter from Danske saying that I've already paid the tax and then they'll refund me. Requested it from Danske yesterday on their online secure email.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

Complaint gone off to FSO.... nothing is every bloody easy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

I closed my CC account on the 30th March to avoid the the 1st April deadline.

I had to pay Danske the 30 euro Govt Stamp as it is paid in arrears.

2 weeks prior to this .... my new CC from AIB arrived... so I have paid twice... one for Danske and one for AIB... even though the AIB card was only 2 weeks old.

I got the letter from Danske, stating that the Stamp duty was paid for 2013/2014 with Danske.... but the letter from AIB says...... if you have paid with another bank for 2013/2014... please send us the statement prior to the 1st April.

Not really possible when one just closed the account on the 30th March.

Ahhh well F*** it... I really don't F*****g care anymore.

This state is like a bunch of F*****g pirates.. no matter what you do.. they will continue to bleed you dry of money.

I hear they want a standing charge for water meters now... the F***ers will ramp this up until eventually the standing charge will be more than the actual usage of the water / electricity / gas or what ever...

I set up a new account with AIB today. Waiting for my cards and access to be available to me now.
    Will transfer some funds out of Danske as soon as I can to cover my bills & DD. But will wait until the final day to move out the rest, I am though leaving 20 euro in the accounts as I am not allowing them to close the accounts.
    What length were people waiting for their ATM cards etc to be sent out?

With regards your mortgage payments, can I ask a daft question, if I have a mortgage account at present, and I put x amount into that each month so that when the 4th of each month Danske then take that x amount and it pays my mortgage for the month.
    How the hell does this now work when we have no current account linked to the mortgage and we are in a different bank?

I have a business account, I am wondering if I deal with it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

My understanding is that you have to set up a Direct Debit Mandate which will allow Danske to take what ever is required from your AIB account to service your mortgage account etc etc. You can fill in the DD forms and send off..or you can do it over the phone... give them the details of the new AIB account etc.

They say they can do it in 10 days.. and I managed to change things over with 17 days to spare... but then they came back and told me they require more time and it got all F***ed up. So despite the fact that I set up the DD from my new bank account.. the DD will not go through until the 17th May.

One feels like a juggler at times.. leaving stuff in this account to cover this and that etc etc etc.

If you have a Business account with Danske.. they may take from that.. but I am not sure... you would have to ask them.

I believe Airton Close will be empty.. and that Danske will have a small office in the IFSC only. Don't quote me on that... but that is what I was told.

ABC101 wrote: »
    My understanding is that you have to set up a Direct Debit Mandate which will allow Danske to take what ever is required from your AIB account to service your mortgage account etc etc. You can fill in the DD forms and send off..or you can do it over the phone... give them the details of the new AIB account etc.

They say they can do it in 10 days.. and I managed to change things over with 17 days to spare... but then they came back and told me they require more time and it got all F***ed up. So despite the fact that I set up the DD from my new bank account.. the DD will not go through until the 17th May.

One feels like a juggler at times.. leaving stuff in this account to cover this and that etc etc etc.

If you have a Business account with Danske.. they may take from that.. but I am not sure... you would have to ask them.

I believe Airton Close will be empty.. and that Danske will have a small office in the IFSC only. Don't quote me on that... but that is what I was told.

Cheers for that. This is truly painful sh*!Te all this rubbish we are been forced into, its totally infuriating me, looking at the accounts tonight after I got paid we are 52% offset and after years of diligent saving and working hard to do so its been fuked back in our faces again.

I have now handed the case to legals so I will have the contract gone over with a tooth comb, if they have left any chink of light I'm gunning for them.
    Its nothing short of robbery what they are at. :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Reggie 365

What happens if I dont set up a new DD to meet my mortgage but rather transfer the required amount on the due date each month. What actions will Danske take against me !

Reggie 365 wrote: »
    What happens if I dont set up a new DD to meet my mortgage but rather transfer the required amount on the due date each month. What actions will Danske take against me !

Good question. Considering they are robbing us already then I what can they do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

None, as long as the mortgage is paid on time every month. For my own peace of mind I'd transfer it a few days early to allow processing time (despite the fact that SEPA is supposed to make it instantaneous. Just let them know you'll arrange payment yourself, so that they don't start bothering you.

You could always set up a standing order (which you have control of) to pay the mortgage each month if you're forgetful.

I got a phone call from Danske couple of days ago asking if I wanted to set up a DD from my new bank account to pay mortgage.

Has anyone else had this call.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

I got a phone call from Danske couple of days ago asking if I wanted to set up a DD from my new bank account to pay mortgage.

I checked terms and conditions on mortgage agreement today. DD or standing order is acceptable, in my case they are getting standing order..... not giving them a free reign direct debit :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

I asked the same Q - where does the SO get pointed at - the about to be closed Service account, or directly into the mortgage account. Presume the latter, waiting for a reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,051 ✭✭✭✭josip

kennM wrote: »
    I checked terms and conditions on mortgage agreement today. DD or standing order is acceptable, in my case they are getting standing order..... not giving them a free reign direct debit :)

Is it not more trouble to do this via Standing Order since you'll have to amend it each time Danske change interest rates?
    I can understand the reasoning for some other types of payments but nobody here will not pay off their mortgage in full for fear of getting a bad credit rating.

josip wrote: »
    Is it not more trouble to do this via Standing Order since you'll have to amend it each time Danske change interest rates?
    I can understand the reasoning for some other types of payments but nobody here will not pay off their mortgage in full for fear of getting a bad credit rating.

The SO would probably suit me. Im paying a set amount monthly for a few years now thats above the amount required. Any interest rate changes shouldnt bring my required repayments above what Im currently paying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭robbe

Got a withheld number call yesterday from a bewildered young Northern woman reading from a prepared script. She was ringing to chase up the mortgage direct debit from my new current account. I told her I hadn't set up a new current account yet. This obviously wasn't in the script and we left it at that. I presume I will receive more calls over the coming weeks...

robbe wrote: »
    Got a withheld number call yesterday from a bewildered young Northern woman reading from a prepared script. She was ringing to chase up the mortgage direct debit from my new current account. I told her I hadn't set up a new current account yet. This obviously wasn't in the script and we left it at that. I presume I will receive more calls over the coming weeks...

lol class, like a bunch of robots who think they are dealing with robots "We will comply", my ass we will comply ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭robbe

yop wrote: »
    Cheers for that. This is truly painful sh*!Te all this rubbish we are been forced into, its totally infuriating me, looking at the accounts tonight after I got paid we are 52% offset and after years of diligent saving and working hard to do so its been fuked back in our faces again.

I have now handed the case to legals so I will have the contract gone over with a tooth comb, if they have left any chink of light I'm gunning for them.
    Its nothing short of robbery what they are at. :mad::mad:

It's particularly frustrating when you hear in the news about negative interest rates (not that anyone expects it to come to that) - to my mind what amounts to a blatant breach of a contract has been universally shrugged off as 'well what can you do'.....as mentioned in a previous post on this thread I spoke to a financial journalist about this and her advice, not based on a legal opinion btw, was that Danske wouldn't have done this without having legal opinion in their favour, however unpalatable it is, and to suck it up and move on.

I'm quite sure lots of lawyers would have a view that differs from Danske but I would assume someone in the Danske head office has weighed up the likelihood of a challenge and the cost to the individual to do so versus the benefits to them of closing the accounts and moving on. This has the capacity to consume you and in some ways is symptomatic of Ireland over the past number of years - the ordinary citizens are fleeced left right and centre, the goalposts are constantly moved, in this case by one of the banks that knackered the country and when they then do something as blatant as this the attitude among those there to protect the consumer interests is not to leap to your aid.....the issue I have on this is that we were all sold a mortgage product on the basis that we could benefit from the offsetting of current/savings accounts. Whether technically the bank could alter this to remove the offsetting accounts and turn it into a variable mortgage is what the FSO will focus on and likely the lawyers too - that doesn't alter the fact that a financial product was sold as one thing and then was changed into another, much less attractive proposition because it suited the bank commercially and technically they were able to do it. Ask yourself whether you would have signed up for a standard (albeit slightly discounted) variable rate mortgage back when you took out the offset. You can be sure that there were other much more attractive LTV tracker products out there but you went with the offset and now it's gone. I fail to see the difference between the tracker product and this, in spirit if not on paper. FWIW I have a mind to send this on to someone like say Stephen Donnolly (sp) a TD with a financial background - however the numbers aren't as impressive as the tracker issue, to see if someone could take up the running on our behalf.

robbe wrote: »
    It's particularly frustrating when you hear in the news about negative interest rates (not that anyone expects it to come to that) - to my mind what amounts to a blatant breach of a contract has been universally shrugged off as 'well what can you do'.....as mentioned in a previous post on this thread I spoke to a financial journalist about this and her advice, not based on a legal opinion btw, was that Danske wouldn't have done this without having legal opinion in their favour, however unpalatable it is, and to suck it up and move on.

I'm quite sure lots of lawyers would have a view that differs from Danske but I would assume someone in the Danske head office has weighed up the likelihood of a challenge and the cost to the individual to do so versus the benefits to them of closing the accounts and moving on. This has the capacity to consume you and in some ways is symptomatic of Ireland over the past number of years - the ordinary citizens are fleeced left right and centre, the goalposts are constantly moved, in this case by one of the banks that knackered the country and when they then do something as blatant as this the attitude among those there to protect the consumer interests is not to leap to your aid.....the issue I have on this is that we were all sold a mortgage product on the basis that we could benefit from the offsetting of current/savings accounts. Whether technically the bank could alter this to remove the offsetting accounts and turn it into a variable mortgage is what the FSO will focus on and likely the lawyers too - that doesn't alter the fact that a financial product was sold as one thing and then was changed into another, much less attractive proposition because it suited the bank commercially and technically they were able to do it. Ask yourself whether you would have signed up for a standard (albeit slightly discounted) variable rate mortgage back when you took out the offset. You can be sure that there were other much more attractive LTV tracker products out there but you went with the offset and now it's gone. I fail to see the difference between the tracker product and this, in spirit if not on paper. FWIW I have a mind to send this on to someone like say Stephen Donnolly (sp) a TD with a financial background - however the numbers aren't as impressive as the tracker issue, to see if someone could take up the running on our behalf.

Well I would encourage you to try each and every avenue available.
    I have engaged with all the news stations, papers, public figures in the financial sphere and have received plenty of "we can't see how they can just do it", but the signals from the Central Bank and the FSO doesn't encourage me, that said Irish Banks, FSO and Central Bank are from I can see a single entity and when it comes down to it, they won't shoot down one of their own.

The encouragement I would take is the tracker mortgages which was fought successfully, I am sure the CB and FSO speiled out the same rubbish to those people also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

for anyone who moves their accounts to another bank, and has problems, I was talking to someone at the weekend who had moved their current acc from Danske to BOI.

BOI fupped up on their end, salaries never went in, therefore mortgage never came out as it wasnt covered, couple of DDs as well. phonecalls up to 9pm at night were made to see where the money was from BOI mortgage people even though there was a note on the BOI account stating what the problem was.

they made BOI write them a letter confirming it was BOI that messed it up.

Important to note for future as any missed payment may cause a problem in the future.

for anyone who moves their accounts to another bank, and has problems, I was talking to someone at the weekend who had moved their current acc from Danske to BOI.

BOI fupped up on their end, salaries never went in, therefore mortgage never came out as it wasnt covered, couple of DDs as well. phonecalls up to 9pm at night were made to see where the money was from BOI mortgage people even though there was a note on the BOI account stating what the problem was.

they made BOI write them a letter confirming it was BOI that messed it up.

Important to note for future as any missed payment may cause a problem in the future.

The lad in AIB told me to handle all the DD's myself as they found too many issues which so called "Seamless switching".
    He said ring the company who are doing the DD And change the details.

yop wrote: »
    The lad in AIB told me to handle all the DD's myself as they found too many issues which so called "Seamless switching".
    He said ring the company who are doing the DD And change the details.

Ya that's what I did. It's just a matter of a few phone calls but be carefully some company's won't do it over the phone, they will send out forms for you to fill in new details so allow at least 2 weeks as it takes time this way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

4 times in 8 days Ive called to get through to the mortgage department to get some questinos answered in relation to the move. All landline contact to mortgage department have been shut off. Expect a Call back in 2 business days.

by end of last week thats gone to 5 business days. Called yesterday and then again today , Im on a "call back urgently" list. Fuming.

Then that idiot dolly fcking sdasdfsdalslsdfa (I cant even typwe straight) calls me a few minutes ago asking can she take my direct debit details of my new account to move my mortgage.

Help me to help you, get your mortgage department to call me and I'll talk to you 15 minutes after that. she has no means to do that though.

I think theyre after closing their mortgage department altogether. In fact, as I type this, Im starting to think theyre employing this tactic to get us to move.. sick fcks.

Advertisement