Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Danske bank to close retail customer accounts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ra1

Hi,

yes, I have the same problem. I called and asked to talk or be called , from mortgage department and made 3 calls in last 2 weeks. Every time I was told I was on urgent list.
    But so far nobody called me. And i was told I couldn't reach mortgage department directly.

That is a shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

It is probably due to the fact that there is nobody left working for Danske rather than a deliberate ignoring ploy / tactic etc

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭4umbrellas

Danske have mentally checked out as far as retail is concerned. They see no long term relationship with their retail customers so there's no incentive to bother about them. You have zero priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

for anyone who moves their accounts to another bank, and has problems, I was talking to someone at the weekend who had moved their current acc from Danske to BOI.

BOI fupped up on their end, salaries never went in, therefore mortgage never came out as it wasnt covered, couple of DDs as well. phonecalls up to 9pm at night were made to see where the money was from BOI mortgage people even though there was a note on the BOI account stating what the problem was.

they made BOI write them a letter confirming it was BOI that messed it up.

Important to note for future as any missed payment may cause a problem in the future.
    I'm surprised that BOI took the fall for that one. Salaries not going into the new account sound like account holder didn't let their payroll people know the new bank details on time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Had a missed call on private number yesterday, probably the devil looking for my new bank account.
    I think this has been asked already, but is there a reason why I can't do a bank transfer to the Mortgage account each month? With SEPA transfers are instant (allegedly!).
    Why are they so hung up on an SO or DD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭robbe

I would say it's that poor soul alright.....make sure you don't put her off her script! DD is the preferred solution as it gives them certainty (assuming there is sufficient funds in the feeder account/you haven't closed it) - the bank is in control of the DD process. SO is the less favoured but tolerated option and in many ways is similar to just transferring in the monies manually but at least it is more formal than just lashing the funds in whenever you want. Being mischievous about it (and it did occur to me after I spoke to them) that if they are able to amend a fundamental term of the contract why can't we....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Thoie wrote: »
    I'm surprised that BOI took the fall for that one. Salaries not going into the new account sound like account holder didn't let their payroll people know the new bank details on time.

Although I thought that it might have been that too (although would be very unlike the people involved who are very fastidious about these things), Im sure BOI would only send a letter saying it was their fault unless it was, of course, their fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

robbe wrote: »
    I would say it's that poor soul alright.....make sure you don't put her off her script! DD is the preferred solution as it gives them certainty (assuming there is sufficient funds in the feeder account/you haven't closed it) - the bank is in control of the DD process. SO is the less favoured but tolerated option and in many ways is similar to just transferring in the monies manually but at least it is more formal than just lashing the funds in whenever you want. Being mischievous about it (and it did occur to me after I spoke to them) that if they are able to amend a fundamental term of the contract why can't we....

this is one of the things I wanted to talk to them about, the poor girl yesterday got a bit flustered.

I rang again this morning to speak to mortgages, "we're being advised 5 days for them to call you back".
    Ive got 4 urgent call back requests stretching back 9 days so am now awaiting managerial callback of any level to explain why Im not getting a call back and also a note on my account to have no contact from Danske until someone does this as if they dont want to talk to me, I dont want to talk to them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ok, so for my own convenience then, since I want to, since they changed our terms, I have decided I will transfer in the money myself.

So if we have 2 current accounts, and a mortgage current account. I presume that they will leave the mortgage current account open and that I transfer my mortgage money into that each month.

Has anyone heard anything back re mediation?

I am still waiting on legal review of the documents, going to cost me but it will be interesting. Its a Dublin company. If they look like they can help I can pass on their details, not sure if a few of us can all go under the 1 case or not but it might be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 nicky5mx

FYI..........The FSO has confirmed that they will not investigate the alleged mis-sale of the off-set mortgage product as it is more than 6 years since the product was sold.

Interesting that they do confirm in writing to me that "the terms and conditions of the mortgage will be taken into consideration, but not adjudicated on, during the investigation of your complaint"

So at least they are going to review the original T&C's. Now that I have agreed to the above they said they will commence the investigation. I presume the next step will be an offer of mediation. Not sure if some people are already at this stage or have any more info to add from the FSO?

• Advertisement

nicky5mx wrote: »
    FYI..........The FSO has confirmed that they will not investigate the alleged mis-sale of the off-set mortgage product as it is more than 6 years since the product was sold.

Interesting that they do confirm in writing to me that "the terms and conditions of the mortgage will be taken into consideration, but not adjudicated on, during the investigation of your complaint"

So at least they are going to review the original T&C's. Now that I have agreed to the above they said they will commence the investigation. I presume the next step will be an offer of mediation. Not sure if some people are already at this stage or have any more info to add from the FSO?

"Not adjudicated on"... what does that mean I wonder, normally it means that judged, so in other words they can't pull them to task on it!! FFS, so if they cant judge that Danske broke the T&Cs then what have to fight on then?

Mediation offered to us, we accepted as its without prejudice, but Danske have yet to agree. I don't think they have agreed with anyone on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

yop wrote: »
    Ok, so for my own convenience then, since I want to, since they changed our terms, I have decided I will transfer in the money myself.

So if we have 2 current accounts, and a mortgage current account. I presume that they will leave the mortgage current account open and that I transfer my mortgage money into that each month.
    Are they not closing all your accounts? We have a mortgage account too (part of the original conditions of getting a mortgage) but it's being closed and we'll set up payment from a current account with a different bank directly to the mortgage.

Are they not closing all your accounts? We have a mortgage account too (part of the original conditions of getting a mortgage) but it's being closed and we'll set up payment from a current account with a different bank directly to the mortgage.

Ok thanks for that, yes they are closing all 3 accounts, so we have to pay directly into the mortgage then. Thats good to clarify.
    I will do the transfer monthly myself then.
    If that value is to change then they can contact me and I will change the transfer amount.

Has anyone even contemplated leaving Danske for their mortgage?

I am nearly at the stage you're at - received what was probably a similar letter (see a few pages back) last week with the same sentiment and the same requirement to acknowledge the limitations of their scope. No offer of mediation but I did receive a call from Danske in response to me contacting the person mentioned in their reponse to my complaint saying that their position was as per the letter I had received. On that basis I'm not sure if the mediation process is a waste of time, particularly as they seem to have carte blanche to amend the original terms of the mortgage.

I meant to mention also and it might be an avenue that people who prefer not to spend money on a case, is to contact FLAC and they might be interested.

You could be right - good shout.

Not sure if Office of Consumer Affairs would be interested....quite probable that any other state agency would defer to the FSO on these issues - despite the 6 year limitation of scope.

You could be right - good shout.

Not sure if Office of Consumer Affairs would be interested....quite probable that any other state agency would defer to the FSO on these issues - despite the 6 year limitation of scope.

Ah I sure the OCA and FSO could chat about it over a pint with Danske when they go out for dinner like they used to in the good old days. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

I checked my terms and conditions... DD or S/O is acceptable. Their preferred position will be DD but I am within terms of contract as S/O and thats what they'll get.

All accounts will NOT be closed as I understand it. One must be left open.... I suspect its for technical systems behind the scenes.

A question which hopefully someone of the Offset mortgage holders have.

I got new T&C's in the post, only 3 photocopied pages. Is that all you got also? Its not a complete document as point 8.0 ends before the rest of it is visible.

Also the new T&C's refer to the General T&C's, which were also sent out to me, but the date on mine is Nov 2013. Is that the same for you?
    Also does anyone have the original T&C's?

The side letter with the paragraph about the Offset, did everyone get that side letter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

kennM wrote: »
    All accounts will NOT be closed as I understand it. One must be left open.... I suspect its for technical systems behind the scenes.
    Interesting. Where did you see that? I had a quick look just there at the letter we received and it says nothing about keeping an account open. Is it only for particular types of mortgages?

• Advertisement

Other than the T&C's of the mortgage agreement and the side letter (which I have) I do not have any other T&C's. Like you I got a copy of the T&C's dated 2013 as part of the PFO from Danske to my complaint.

Interesting. Where did you see that? I had a quick look just there at the letter we received and it says nothing about keeping an account open. Is it only for particular types of mortgages?
    Same as that, all 3 accounts are marked on the letter as been closing.
    Other than the T&C's of the mortgage agreement and the side letter (which I have) I do not have any other T&C's. Like you I got a copy of the T&C's dated 2013 as part of the PFO from Danske to my complaint.

Ok, thanks. And were there only 3 pages in yours also?

Sorry Yop.......will have to check when I get home. Will confirm later.

• Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

I checked my terms and conditions... DD or S/O is acceptable. Their preferred position will be DD but I am within terms of contract as S/O and thats what they'll get.

I suspect it means all accounts will be closed except one which will be 'blocked'.
    In my case the CC and two savings accounts are closed with balances transferred to a blocked current account. It becomes a holding account for monies due to me and facilitates payment of my CC.
    ...I think.

Auld-Yin wrote: »
    I suspect it means all accounts will be closed except one which will be 'blocked'.
    In my case the CC and two savings accounts are closed with balances transferred to a blocked current account. It becomes a holding account for monies due to me and facilitates payment of my CC.
    ...I think.

Ok, so is the closed account a new account with a new account number etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

It was in one of their letters.... don't have it immediately to hand.
    Auld-Yin wrote: »
    ...I think.

Knowing the way IT systems work I'd say there internal systems require the mortgage account to be associated to the mortgage account, technical restriction. Given the resource picture I'm sure Danske have in ROI and the risk associated to changing systems they'll essentially leave that account open (with zero balance and blocked) but essentially it will still be there under the covers I would suspect....

• Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

yop wrote: »
    Ok, so is the closed account a new account with a new account number etc?
    Don't know. Just speculation.
    I don't have a mortgage or loan etc so don't want to mislead but, if an account holder has cash Danske need to temporarily store it somewhere and a blocked account (same number) makes sense. The account may still be able to accept certain payments but you just won't be able to do anything with it.

It was in one of their letters.... don't have it immediately to hand.

Knowing the way IT systems work I'd say there internal systems require the mortgage account to be associated to the mortgage account, technical restriction. Given the resource picture I'm sure Danske have in ROI and the risk associated to changing systems they'll essentially leave that account open (with zero balance and blocked) but essentially it will still be there under the covers I would suspect....

That would certainly make sense, otherwise you will be putting your DD/SO/Transfer into the mortgage directly, so unless they are monitoring that exact account for the exact amount on that date, then they will flag it as not been paid, it does seem like a re-engineer of the systems that would be in place to take from account X to service the mortgage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

@ Robbe - what is your status at moment?

I was chatting to my family and they said they would have ixnayed the mediation on grounds that why should I since I am either in the right (or Danske are)

Anyway still waiting on the FSO who are probably just timing out a wait period while Danske ignore them.

Have okayed a direct debit in principle for continued mortgage repayments as the TRS payments are variable and go into the same account.

• Advertisement

dolallyoh wrote: »
    @ Robbe - what is your status at moment?

I was chatting to my family and they said they would have ixnayed the mediation on grounds that why should I since I am either in the right (or Danske are)

Anyway still waiting on the FSO who are probably just timing out a wait period while Danske ignore them.

Have okayed a direct debit in principle for continued mortgage repayments as the TRS payments are variable and go into the same account.

Hi - still waiting for the next step from FSO - am thinking along the same lines re mediation - especially considering the call I got from Danske re their unchanging position. I'll post on here when anything else happens.

Advertisement