Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Danske bank to close retail customer accounts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

ABC101 wrote: »
    I see Prof Horahan (gov CBI) is quoted as being concerned of the protection available to mortgage holders whose loans have been sold to Vulture funds, INWide & the old Anglo Irish Bank.

Man oh man. We are so many years into this financial crash and yet still people are being "put to the sword".

I just hope Danske hold onto our mortgages so that we don't get f***ed royally up the a** by some foreign gringo vultures.....ouch!

Yes, I'd much prefer to be fu****ed royally up the a** by the foreign vulture that is Danske...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

ABC101 wrote: »
    I see Prof Horahan (gov CBI) is quoted as being concerned of the protection available to mortgage holders whose loans have been sold to Vulture funds, INWide & the old Anglo Irish Bank.

Mortgage holders don't need that sort of 'protection' unless they stop paying. If you genuinely can't afford your mortgage then in the longer term you're screwed whoever the owner of the loan is. If you can afford it but choose not to pay then you deserve everything you get.

I don't mean 'you' ABC101 of course.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Folks

If anyone still has saving with Danske and wish to have it paid directly to them please note. They are charging a €2.50 fee to send your money to you by cheque/draft A bit much especially when they want rid of you and it flies in the face when they say on the website that all monies will be returned to you.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

cunnijo wrote: »
    Folks

If anyone still has saving with Danske and wish to have it paid directly to them please note. They are charging a €2.50 fee to send your money to you by cheque/draft A bit much especially when they want rid of you and it flies in the face when they say on the website that all monies will be returned to you.

Where did you get that fee from?
    Do you have a link to that where it says all monies are to be returned, I have 69 cents in the 2 accounts they closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭robbe

I received a letter from them saying that my mortgage repayment was now going to be based on an interest rate of 4.6%.....not the 3.6% (inclusive of 1% offset discount). I was overpaying but they, despite confirming the lower interest rate and standard overpaid transfer in a previous letter 2 weeks ago, have decided in their wisdom to revert to a standard repayment and a higher interest rate. I sent them an email Sunday but have yet to receive a reply. More fantastic stuff from Danske!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

robbe wrote: »
    I received a letter from them saying that my mortgage repayment was now going to be based on an interest rate of 4.6%.....not the 3.6% (inclusive of 1% offset discount). I was overpaying but they, despite confirming the lower interest rate and standard overpaid transfer in a previous letter 2 weeks ago, have decided in their wisdom to revert to a standard repayment and a higher interest rate. I sent them an email Sunday but have yet to receive a reply. More fantastic stuff from Danske!

Same at that, they sent us a letter on 14th April with the new interest rate and now we got a letter on 23rd of April that the new rate is now up to the old rate!!!!! So the new rate last 9 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW. This is incredible stuff.

yop wrote: »
    Where did you get that fee from?
    Do you have a link to that where it says all monies are to be returned, I have 69 cents in the 2 accounts they closed.

HI Yop

I was informed of this in a reply I received through their ebanking messaging service when I asked them to send the money to me. However if you wish to transfer your funds to another bank electronically then its free, not something I wanted to do. Not sure if another bank will open a savings account while depending on Danske to transfer the funds. There is no mention anywhere in the website just this from the following link

http://www.danskebank.ie/en-ie/Personal/customer-service/Customer-information/2013/Pages/closing-danske-account.aspx#da

"Any outstanding balance on your savings account together with any interest due will be returned to you in full."

Same at that, they sent us a letter on 14th April with the new interest rate and now we got a letter on 23rd of April that the new rate is now up to the old rate!!!!! So the new rate last 9 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW. This is incredible stuff.

Just letter in post to say that the last letter was an error, the wrong interest rate was printed :D

Almost a pity - would have liked to fought with them over this one too! I wonder if they have applied the correct interest rate for the month? No news here on the FSO but not expected given other people's experience.....

robbe wrote: »
    Almost a pity - would have liked to fought with them over this one too! I wonder if they have applied the correct interest rate for the month? No news here on the FSO but not expected given other people's experience.....

Not a word from them, I have emailed and phones twice but no reply to the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Anyone else having trouble over wanting to pay the mortgage by standing order??

My mother does not want to pay by direct debit from her new bank but Danske are insisting. She much prefers the standing order route and has been burned before using direct debits. Is there anything we can do here?

Elessar wrote: »
    Anyone else having trouble over wanting to pay the mortgage by standing order??

My mother does not want to pay by direct debit from her new bank but Danske are insisting. She much prefers the standing order route and has been burned before using direct debits. Is there anything we can do here?

Can I ask please what is the major difference between a DD and a Standing Order and how you might get "burnt". Sorry for the daft question! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Can I ask please what is the major difference between a DD and a Standing Order and how you might get "burnt". Sorry for the daft question! :o

Using direct debit essentially gives the other party free licence to take however much they want from your account at any time. If ever a billing mistake is made or there is a dispute you have no control. With a standing order you still make the payment, but you control how much they get.

I have been burned with a service provider before over DD and much prefer to stay away from it myself wherever possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

If you're concerned about that try to switch your mortgage to another provider.
    I'm afraid the way the wind is blowing it's more than likely they are going to move the mortgages on.

Yeah it is a serious possibility all right... however if I can get as long as possible out of the 3.15% rate then I will hang in there.

Meanwhile I will attempt to put any extra spare cash into the mortgage... get it down as quick as I can.... still looking at 20 years+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

I signed up to the direct debit due to the changing nature of the mortgage amount. Would have preferred standing order but wasn't willing to put the effort into checking constantly what the amount is.

Sent off the form, all completed, weeks before account closure date. Never got an acknowledgement. They rang me about two weeks before account closure and said they had no details for my mortgage repayment... So they took details over the phone and said I'd get confirmation in writing in the post... I didn't receive anything.

First mortgage was due to come out of the new account today. It hasn't.... Hopefully it will tomorrow but can't say I'll be surprised if these buffoons have erred and will record something like a missed payment against me, which presumably has repercussions for my credit rating.

I signed up to the direct debit due to the changing nature of the mortgage amount. Would have preferred standing order but wasn't willing to put the effort into checking constantly what the amount is.

Sent off the form, all completed, weeks before account closure date. Never got an acknowledgement. They rang me about two weeks before account closure and said they had no details for my mortgage repayment... So they took details over the phone and said I'd get confirmation in writing in the post... I didn't receive anything.

First mortgage was due to come out of the new account today. It hasn't.... Hopefully it will tomorrow but can't say I'll be surprised if these buffoons have erred and will record something like a missed payment against me, which presumably has repercussions for my credit rating.

Sadly nothing new. Danske even when fully operating were losing vital documentation belonging to customers, which they took and copied when new accounts were opened. I know as it happened to me in the last 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

I have tried to take this as calmly as possible and go along with what has been requested as best I could. I wrote to Danskebank to get clarification about the closing of the feeder current account not affecting all other terms and conditions of mortgage. Registered the letter and got prompt reply. In the reply they stated I have option to set up either direct debit or standing order to pay my mortgage going forward.
    I noticed they are waiting to take next months payment from my current account at Danskebank. I have moved payment of wages to new external current account, set up a standing order and withdrawn all money but not closed my current account with Danskebank as I was going to let them do that so it's not seen that I do it!
    I write to them to cancel the SO from current account at Danskebank as there are no funds in account and I have SO set up. They write back looking for DirectbDebit. Pulling my hair out!
    I have never missed any payments on anything. Don't want black mark on credit rating. Feeling bit like you wersal gummage. I have written back and hope it will be sorted.
    I wonder should I just close the account. Will they look for DD details when doing it? Has anyone done it that can tell me. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I've set up a standing order from my new bank account to continue paying my mortgage. Danske did send me a DD form but I binned it as I'm going to pay by SO.

I got an electronic message from them on Friday urgently asking me to return the signed DD form but I replied that I will be paying by SO. They haven't replied as yet.

I also had some money in a savings account and I asked them to close the account and send me a cheque. They deducted a €2.50 fee from the closing balance.

chughes wrote: »
    I've set up a standing order from my new bank account to continue paying my mortgage. Danske did send me a DD form but I binned it as I'm going to pay by SO.

I got an electronic message from them on Friday urgently asking me to return the signed DD form but I replied that I will be paying by SO. They haven't replied as yet.

I also had some money in a savings account and I asked them to close the account and send me a cheque. They deducted a €2.50 fee from the closing balance.

I better not ask them to send me a cheque for the 1.50 I left in mine so ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

My current account closed on 25 Apr - it had zero in it but they credited me with one cent interest :cool:

It appeared as a 'credit holding account' a few days later, but the last time I logged into online banking it said I had no accounts registered at all.

So what happened to my one cent :pac:

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

ninja900 wrote: »
    My current account closed on 25 Apr - it had zero in it but they credited me with one cent interest :cool:

It appeared as a 'credit holding account' a few days later, but the last time I logged into online banking it said I had no accounts registered at all.

So what happened to my one cent :pac:

Sounds like you have been ROBBED!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Bumby

Getting back to Offset Mortgage FSO offered mediation or formal investigation based on our complaint. We opted for the latter as anecdotally it would appear that Danske Bank have no interest in entering any mediation process. FSO promptly responded that they would now enter formal investigation process on our behalf and that it was within our right to demand of Danske Bank that they do not close our Mortgage Offset Current Account on 23rd May as proposed pending the outcome of the formal FSO investigation process. This we have done and response from Danske Bank is that they have passed our correspondence on to their relevant department.

Bumby wrote: »
    Getting back to Offset Mortgage FSO offered mediation or formal investigation based on our complaint. We opted for the latter as anecdotally it would appear that Danske Bank have no interest in entering any mediation process. FSO promptly responded that they would now enter formal investigation process on our behalf and that it was within our right to demand of Danske Bank that they do not close our Mortgage Offset Current Account on 23rd May as proposed pending the outcome of the formal FSO investigation process. This we have done and response from Danske Bank is that they have passed our correspondence on to their relevant department.

Requested it from day one, they ignored it and closed our accounts on the 25th of April.

Requested it from day one, they ignored it and closed our accounts on the 25th of April.

I wonder did they close or just restrict access which amounts to the same thing....

• Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

Restricted access methinks.

Since 'closure' of my accounts a refund went to my CC account; (now named Credit Card Collection).
    There was also a lodgement from UK to my current account.
    These were on 1st & 2nd May so not something that was pending.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Bumby

Just received letter from Danske today noting that we had referred to "Offset" case to the FSO. In it Danske state that they are not under any obligation to postpone closure of our account and that they are not prepared to do so and that their decision is final. Seems they're really scared of FSO!!!! Their arrogance and consideration for customers of 36 years (which we are) knows no boundaries.

Bumby wrote: »
    Just received letter from Danske today noting that we had referred to "Offset" case to the FSO. In it Danske state that they are not under any obligation to postpone closure of our account and that they are not prepared to do so and that their decision is final. Seems they're really scared of FSO!!!! Their arrogance and consideration for customers of 36 years (which we are) knows no boundaries.

The FSO I doubt scare them. Hopefully they will prove me different but I think this will peter out and the FSO and Danske will have a pis* up to celebrate

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

The FSO I doubt scare them. Hopefully they will prove me different but I think this will peter out and the FSO and Danske will have a pis* up to celebrate

I think the FSO will need to prove they have a pair of b***s to make a difference here. Will they? I hope my initial thoughts are wrong....

I suspect it'll be just another case of tough luck consumer. If you have the bottle or deep enough pockets to take them on in the high court you may win but they are betting that very few (possibly none) will be in a position to do so.

I don't get the FSO bashing. Let's see what they do before judging them.

• Advertisement

dolallyoh wrote: »
    I don't get the FSO bashing. Let's see what they do before judging them.

I'm basing it on a few things:
    • Chats I have had with both solicitors and financial people and how the FSO never pushes it, they are scared of the banks.
    • Basing it on how they dealt with banks during the boom or didn't.
    • Their limitations of "6 years", what a load of balls, if you are there to regulate then you should have no limitations and you want to look at every single detail needed.
    • Tracker mortgages, the FSO backed off on that and from the little I know about it if it was not for the likes of Padraic Kissane that Ulster and the rest of the banks would have walked away with millions.

I really do hope that they do, but outside of hearing about mediation been offered 5 weeks ago I think at this stage, nothing else mentioned. Hoping we will go away.

Advertisement