Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 sticks CAN work on PS4- sometimes...

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

What's annoying about that is, this means Sony could easily have hard wired the console to accept old sticks/controllers (steering wheels can cost even more than the best sticks, not to mention all my RB kit) but they've washed their hands of it and left it up to the devs.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    What's annoying about that is, this means Sony could easily have hard wired the console to accept old sticks/controllers (steering wheels can cost even more than the best sticks, not to mention all my RB kit) but they've washed their hands of it and left it up to the devs.

Why piss off peripheral makers when you make the devs do it?

Why piss off the public with DRM when you can make the devs do it?

Say what you want to about MS, least they were open and honest about their position (even if they clearly hadn't thought it through).

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Hey, you know me Doomy, I generally understand companies' reasoning a lot of the time (strekken = fine etc.) but this one bites wallets much harder than some meh DLC on a disc that I don't need to play the game. I have a very lovely stick and I really don't want to pay the mark up price for the new console sticks... Sony are showing they can easily solve this problem but they're sitting on the fence, and for me it's not in a good way :/

Hey, you know me Doomy, I generally understand companies' reasoning a lot of the time (strekken = fine etc.) but this one bites wallets much harder than some meh DLC on a disc that I don't need to play the game. I have a very lovely stick and I really don't want to pay the mark up price for the new console sticks... Sony are showing they can easily solve this problem but they're sitting on the fence, and for me it's not in a good way :/

I'm not saying they're right to do it, I'm saying in a bizarre way MS are behaving much more admirably because they're being honest about these things instead of passing the buck onto the devs to take the blame of the public. It's comes across as quite sneaky and yeah there's a big difference between a couple quid for DLC and a few hundred for a stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Peripherals are how they make a large portion of their profit though, gotta keep that in mind - and sticks are such a tiny fraction of the controller market that they're probably not basing the decision around that, but just selling normal pads etc.

I don't really blame them to be honest, we'll always be able to mod our sticks if needs be.

• Advertisement

Speak for yourself, this is what happens if I try to open a stick

homer-vs-corn-flakes-o.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

It'll be interesting to see how this turns out. Similarly if our sticks don't work with an xbone at launch then we'll know MS flipped the switch......Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kanped

Maybe if there were any fighting games on PS4 this would be a bigger issue. I imagine it's because the entire hardware layout has changed and they don't want to write drivers for the old input system, so they'll let the devs deal with the input commands from the old tech. Someone makes a driver for PS3 input (shouldn't be too tricky) and job's done forever. Dunno if the wireless pads will work, though.

Rob2D wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see how this turns out. Similarly if our sticks don't work with an xbone at launch then we'll know MS flipped the switch......Time will tell.

They've already said they wont.
    Kanped wrote: »
    Maybe if there were any fighting games on PS4 this would be a bigger issue. I imagine it's because the entire hardware layout has changed and they don't want to write drivers for the old input system, so they'll let the devs deal with the input commands from the old tech. Someone makes a driver for PS3 input (shouldn't be too tricky) and job's done forever. Dunno if the wireless pads will work, though.

Divekick, Injustice, GG(AB)+ N(-2AC) and Blaz Blue are all getting PS4 versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

They've already said they wont.

Apparently some guys already plugged in a TE to play some KI at one of the demo kiosks. Apparently the stick worked straight away no problem. Well, that's what I heard anyway.

• Advertisement

Rob2D wrote: »
    Apparently some guys already plugged in a TE to play some KI at one of the demo kiosks. Apparently the stick worked straight away no problem. Well, that's what I heard anyway.

That's because they are PCs, not actual Xbox ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The kiosks are proper consoles.

The kiosks are proper consoles.

I know the rumour he's talking about- everyone except the guy saying it seemed to think it was a PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Junsuina Chikara

Yes, as an avid racing game fan, this would TOTALLY suck if I can't play GT6 with my wheel!

Aside from steering wheels, I'm not necessarily supporting the need for a new controller for use with a PS4/XbOne but in reality, a controller like a steering wheel/fightstick (provided it isn't a HORI one that requires desoldering/resoldering buttons/connections) is a long term investment. I've had my Round 1 TE now for about 4 years and PCB is working perfectly and I've only swapped buttons twice and joystick once so the core elements, casing & PCB are fine so if you look at it in that sense, it's not such a big deal if we have to fork out €100-€150 for a new fightstick since you know you'll use it for a number of years.

But like Dreddy said, I'm sure Toodles or whoever will take the helm and make a PCB that supports PS4/XbOne. The only thing which may suck is time. It might take him a while to build a PCB that's compatible with the newer tech. I don't really know how long it was until the Cthulhu came out (which AFAIK, is the first PCB for multi-console use, right?) after the PS3 but I saw a PS Vita hack on day one of it's release so there are some guys out there who are REALLY good and fast at what they do so it mightn't be too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The Cthulhu is a very simple board (basic USB-HID device) with a few extra solder points for easier dual-modding. It came out in 2008, around the time of Street Fighter iV.

The MCCthulhu was an evolution of that design & featured support for all consoles EXCEPT 360 (including anything released since the 80s IIRC). Again though, it only made a dual-mod easier; it couldn't actually show as a 360 controller by itself.

The 360 pad's security chip wasn't cracked until 2010, in a process which took a security expert 6 months and a $250k machine to do. The original PS360 boards didn't ship until late 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kanped

You could always pad hack if it comes to that but I don't know if either company have announced any wired pads for their systems at all, which could be a huge issue if this is the road we end up going down (wireless stick? Just... no). Pad hacking is also not an entry-level exercise; it can be tricky and one mistake can bust the pad, since they usually seem to have measures in place to prevent you from doing it. It should definitely be possible, though and much more straightforward than the 360 security hack that gave us the PS360 board.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Funnily enough, you can get a PS3 kit called the AXISdapter that allows hook-up to a Sixaxis PCB.
    I mention it because it the Sixaxis was tested to have no discernible lag whatsoever.

Advertisement