Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Sandwich in Cork

Options
  • 31-10-2013 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭

I saw the best chipper in Cork thread and thought of the healthier option. Who does the best sandwich in Cork, for like lunchtime eats?

Im probably not the only one put I love a good sandwich:D

I'll throw out a couple of my favourites

Café Gusto Washington St - The Fly Bacon - chicken, bacon and honey Dijon mayo on sourdough bread, you need to stretch the mouth to get around this one.

Sandwich Stall English Market - If you can get there early enough there is a good choice, lovely fresh tasting baguettes and sandwiches. The smoked chicken is melt in your mouth.

Holy Grain Washington St - Beautiful crusty white bread make these sandwiches, the filling are pretty nice too, my one criticism is they fillings are a bit scant these days.

Sandwich Club - Reardens - This is new and was in there recently, had a BBQ pulled pork Sandwich, it was fairly nice but at €7.50 it was way too pricy (just aswell I didn't pay:P)

Anyone else got some recommendations?

Or am I the only sandwich mad person in Cork?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

rob316 wrote: »

Café Gusto Washington St - The Fly Bacon - chicken, bacon and honey Dijon mayo on sourdough bread, you need to stretch the mouth to get around this one.

I know where I'm going tomorrow...........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Long Valley- toasted special. Oh be the holy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Absolutely Dixie, and it doesn't have to be toasted either

• Registered Users Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭brevity

Another one for the long valley! Delish they are.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'll have to check that long valley place out! have they reasonable prices?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Supervalue Blackrock do excellent sandwiches and rolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

The Natural Food bakery (usually make my own spiced beef multi seed pitta with hummus, red onion, lettuce, gerkin and cider vinegar). Also really like Orso at the moment: chicken and cayenne pepper is my fav. These are different to what others mentioned.

Nash 19 and Perry Street Market Cafe for expensive but nice sandwiches also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The Cork Reuben in the sandwich stall. Spiced beef with sauerkraut.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

Mine would be the steak sandwich from boeuf-A-Lolo at the mahon point market. Haven't had it in a while bow that I have Thursday morning lectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

I'll have to check that long valley place out! have they reasonable prices?
    Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Long Valley- toasted special. Oh be the holy!!!

Long valley chicken salad, and Long Valley corned beef are great but nothing beats their toasted special - fab.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

the in the city but hassett's In carrigaline do some of the the best sandwiches I've ever had.!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Skud wrote: »
    The Natural Food bakery (usually make my own spiced beef multi seed pitta with hummus, red onion, lettuce, gerkin and cider vinegar). Also really like Orso at the moment: chicken and cayenne pepper is my fav. These are different to what others mentioned.

Nash 19 and Perry Street Market Cafe for expensive but nice sandwiches also.

Perry Street was nice alright the one time I was there. Nash always kinda disappoints me - had a pulled pork sandwich there a few weeks ago that was actually thin slices of pork, and nearly a tenner.:mad:

Market Lane do massive ones - the soup and half sandwich for 7.75 is a great deal. The Bookshelf do good sandwiches too, nice selection of bread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Supervalue Blackrock do excellent sandwiches and rolls.

They do, but half your lunchtime would be gone queueing.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

Not cafe or pub sandwich, but the best sandwich i get while on the road is from Fitzpatricks shop glounthane

Fitzpatrick's is ridiculously overpriced and worth every penny. Their chicken sandwiches are gorgeous, breakfast rolls slow but worth waiting for, their "gourmet" sausage rolls are fantastic the cakes are fab. Fantastic caramel slices in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

The best sandwich I've gotten in Cork was in The Woodford. I really like sourdough bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

rob316 wrote: »
    Sandwich Stall English Market - If you can get there early enough there is a good choice, lovely fresh tasting baguettes and sandwiches. The smoked chicken is melt in your mouth.

Outstanding. I try to get there whenever I'm home! But got there at ten past one on Tuesday and they were sold out already! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Brackens Backery shop in Blackpool do great sandwiches too. Long Valley is also high on the list too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Im sorry but Supervalue in Blackrock while grand is nothing special. Can anyone who thinks its "corks best" go a few minutes up the road and say its better then O'Driscolls?

In town id normally go to the long valley, brackens or to the half door.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Im sorry but Supervalue in Blackrock while grand is nothing special.

Yeah I was using value as a metric. I think that for the money it's pretty damn good.

I'm not all that enamoured with paying €6/7 for a sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,882 ✭✭✭sporina

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Im sorry but Supervalue in Blackrock while grand is nothing special. Can anyone who thinks its "corks best" go a few minutes up the road and say its better then O'Driscolls?

In town id normally go to the long valley, brackens or to the half door.

where is O' Driscolls?

Well I hope that the food in the half door is better than the coffee - its nothing short of dish water

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

I'm curious now, what is on this toasted special from Long Valley?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

sporina wrote: »
    where is O' Driscolls?

Well I hope that the food in the half door is better than the coffee - its nothing short of dish water

O'driscolls is half way along the ballinlough road. Great shop. We used to stop there to stock up on picnic stuff on the way to the beach as kids.

fitzpatricks in glountaune is another great shop. Their milli-fillies are the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

have to go along with the long valley alright, the ham salad probably has half a pound of ham in it :) they will wrap them up to take away as well, if you want to take it back to work for lunch etc

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

Supervalu in Blackrock use Brennans or the like for their sandwiches. They are truly awful. At least Supervalu in Grange use their own thick cut bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Henry94

The Rendezvous Bar, Model Farm Road. Top class.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

pwurple wrote: »
    Their milli-fillies are the business.

Haha I'm so glad you wrote that. My boyfriend wouldn't believe me when I told him that Cork people pronounce mille feuille like that :D.

Pretentious custard slices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭CZ 453

The Natural Bakery Company behind Waterstones......lovely breads and fillings.(The best I've had in town in years)

There are doorstep sandwiches in Centra on Oliver Plunkett Street that are lovely also.

Advertisement