Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Sandwich in Cork

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

+1 for the Natural Bakery Company,,,,,,,,,,,,, lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

The South County in Douglas have delicious sandwiches:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Brew on Paul Street do nice sandwiches, haven't been there in a while actually, must pay a visit.

And Lafayette's in the imperial do om nom sandwiches and wraps mmm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Daves coffe house in the robroy Cobh thick cut bread yum:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Quishes Super Value in ballincollig do very good rolls, not exactly a sanger tho. They use their own crusty rolls, fill them up good and their about €5 with a pint of milk!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Corned beef salad in the Long Valley. Get in before 12:30 too and you should be able to nab De Paper

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭theglobe

all this long valley praise is new to me. Must check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

Another vote for cafe gusto. Their grilled chicken on toasted multiseed is a favourite of mine.

The spiced beef and sauerkraut in the sandwich stall in OEM is beautiful as well.

In terms of value for money nothing beats Ballintemple Stores. Homemade thick crusty white bread, really good quality meat and various fillings and generous size servings for €3 a pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

theglobe wrote: »
    all this long valley praise is new to me. Must check it out

Its been that way for ever. When I lived in London in the 90's there was a telly program about Cork for about half an hour every week and one of the shows was totally devoted to Long Valley sangers (and their long history of being legend). It was subtitled:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I went to the long valley today and I was so disappointed. I got a toasted special and it was only fair. The bread was cremated, I ate it but it definitely wasn't worth €5.80, wont be going back there in a hurry.

Maybe I got the wrong item but it was a big let down :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

I always miss the soup & sandwich deal for €5 in Cissie Youngs when I'm away. Consitency at its finest!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Oh no rb316, that terribe! Ive only ever had fab ones, that's a real pity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Brackens.

"What can I get you"
    "Brown bread sandwich please"
    "Butter?"
    "Yes"
    "What would like on it?"
    "Ham, cheese, tomato please"
    "Ok?"
    "Thanks"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,882 ✭✭✭sporina

DJ Hafez wrote: »
    I always miss the soup & sandwich deal for €5 in Cissie Youngs when I'm away. Consitency at its finest!

wow i use to go there all the time when i was at college; i use to get a chicken tikka pitta - which was warm; it was sublime as a student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

DJ Hafez wrote: »

The sandwich was good, but the soup was icky packet stuff, wasn't it? Crazy salty and sometimes not even mixed properly. It's over a decade since I was there though, so things may have changed! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

Can't understand why Centra on Oliver Plunkett Street is so popular. You ask for ham and you get a single slice.

Centra on Grand Parade will throw 3 slices, minimum into the same sandwich. Much, much better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Irishgirl12345

I want a sandwich so bad now... From anywhere ha!
    Brackens is my favourite though and Blackpool one is nicer than town :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Didnt know there was a Brackens in Blackpool but yeah for a good cheap sandwich brackens cant be beaten. Pretty much the same as O'Briens but with better bread and half the price.
    As for the Natural Food Bakery is it different in town then in Blackrock? Id get coffee and the odd cake or their delicous almond croissant every now and then but never impressed by the sandwiches and some staff get annoyed if you ask could they add a bit of cheese to a sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Irishgirl12345

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Didnt know there was a Brackens in Blackpool but yeah for a good cheap sandwich brackens cant be beaten. Pretty much the same as O'Briens but with better bread and half the price.
    As for the Natural Food Bakery is it different in town then in Blackrock? Id get coffee and the odd cake or their delicous almond croissant every now and then but never impressed by the sandwiches and some staff get annoyed if you ask could they add a bit of cheese to a sandwich.

The one in Blackpool is across the road from the planet gym. It's unbelievable the bakery is on site there so bread is so so fresh !! Might get one today now haha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Speaking of sandwiches, I notice that O'Briens in Blackpool is gone. While I feel sorry for the staff there, I can't say I'll shed a tear for the owners. Charging €6.50 for a pathetically mean sized sandwich was't cool in 2006, and it certainly ain't cool now either. If the rest of the chain went the same way it would be no bad thing - O'Briens personifies Celtic Tiger greed. You would think the new owners would have copped that charging rip off prices was what caused to the chain to become insolvent the first time round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭CZ 453

grenache wrote: »
    Speaking of sandwiches, I notice that O'Briens in Blackpool is gone. While I feel sorry for the staff there, I can't say I'll shed a tear for the owners. Charging €6.50 for a pathetically mean sized sandwich was't cool in 2006, and it certainly ain't cool now either. If the rest of the chain went the same way it would be no bad thing - O'Briens personifies Celtic Tiger greed. You would think the new owners would have copped that charging rip off prices was what caused to the chain to become insolvent the first time round.

Spot on. The O'Briens in Douglas village shopping centre was a disgrace a couple of months ago.Really poor service and poor food for extortionate prices. However, when I passed it the last day it had slightly different pricing. To stay on the topic of sandwiches they are not worth visiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

There's an O' Briens in Wilton Shopping Centre and they seem to have amalgamated with the Bagel Factory (which is lovely) and they do filled bagels now as well as sandwiches. I agree though, O' Briens sandwiches were always extremely stingy and ordinary for the price and they weren't even nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I went to the Long Valley the other day with people from work based on this thread, it was so disappointing :o 2 toasted specials were incinerated, and not in the nice-burned way either. When we questioned it we were told that's how they do it. Bizarre.

The Natural Bakery Company's Brie and Pesto is my current favourite sandwich, followed in second place by the mixed bean wrap with beetroot slaw from the Sandwich Stall. Sometimes I can't resist a plain toasted cheese from Brackens though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭rob316

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    I went to the Long Valley the other day with people from work based on this thread, it was so disappointing :o2 toasted specials were incinerated, and not in the nice-burned way either. When we questioned it we were told that's how they do it. Bizarre.

The Natural Bakery Company's Brie and Pesto is my current favourite sandwich, followed in second place by the mixed bean wrap with beetroot slaw from the Sandwich Stall. Sometimes I can't resist a plain toasted cheese from Brackens though.

Same here it wasnt good. Cafe Gusto all the way, the Flying Bacon on Sourdough is just delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭theglobe

leahyl wrote: »
    There's an O' Briens in Wilton Shopping Centre and they seem to have amalgamated with the Bagel Factory (which is lovely) and they do filled bagels now as well as sandwiches. I agree though, O' Briens sandwiches were always extremely stingy and ordinary for the price and they weren't even nice.

went here today and it was closed down

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

I've never heard of The Long Valley or Bracken's? Where are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    I've never heard of The Long Valley or Bracken's? Where are they?

Just by Paul street as you walk towards Crawford Art Gallery from the shopping centre.

Edit: sorry that's for Brackens

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Just by Paul street as you walk towards Crawford Art Gallery from the shopping centre.

The long valley is on Winthrop street, across the road from the GPO.

The O Briens on Oliver plunkett street is closed down too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Faith wrote: »
    The long valley is on Winthrop street, across the road from the GPO.

The O Briens on Oliver plunkett street is closed down too.

The one next to the Long Valley?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

evilivor wrote: »
    The one next to the Long Valley?

No, the one near the brog. It was half O Brien's, half The Bagel Factory.

Advertisement