Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thailand visa

• 31-10-2013 1:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

vTo settle an argument with a friend could somebody who has rdcedntly been to Thailand by air for a short tourist trip please confirm

A visa is not required
    I don't need to bring passport sized photos with me
    They may ask to see my cold hard cash before letting me in

Do I just arrive at the airport and stroll through immigration, like I'm coming home? Or do I have to q up for a 'i don't need a visa stamp' in my passport?

Thanksv

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭conor052001

househero wrote: »
    vTo settle an argument with a friend could somebody who has rdcedntly been to Thailand by air for a short tourist trip please confirm

A visa is not required
    I don't need to bring passport sized photos with me
    They may ask to see my cold hard cash before letting me in

Do I just arrive at the airport and stroll through immigration, like I'm coming home? Or do I have to q up for a 'i don't need a visa stamp' in my passport?

Thanksv

Returned from Thailand last week
    No visa required
    No photos required, they now take a digital photo themselves
    They stamp your passport and you have 30 days if arriving by air, 15 by land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Returned from Thailand last week
    No visa required
    No photos required, they now take a digital photo themselves
    They stamp your passport and you have 30 days if arriving by air, 15 by land.

Thanks conor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

If you get a departure card (I can't remember), don't lose it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

Just fill out an arrival and departure card on the flight to Thailand then stroll up to immigration.

No visa, passport photos, hard cash required if you have an Irish passport.

They will staple the departure card in your passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 samsung511

it helps to tell us what country you are from. People from the UK, US and Oz do not need a visa.

But you will need a onward ticket/return ticket home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Booser

Hi guys, Im planning on flying into Bangkok in May. Trouble is Im leaving the country overland at the Cambodian border. According to most websites technically I need a visa in advance as I dont have proof of a flight out of the country. I have heard from others though that this is something which isnt an issue, either they wont ask or they will accept that as proof of onward travel.

Anyone here got any experience with this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Booser wrote: »
    Hi guys, Im planning on flying into Bangkok in May. Trouble is Im leaving the country overland at the Cambodian border. According to most websites technically I need a visa in advance as I dont have proof of a flight out of the country. I have heard from others though that this is something which isnt an issue, either they wont ask or they will accept that as proof of onward travel.

You'll get a free 30 day visa on arrival. I needed no proof of how long I was staying or how I was leaving and I was given the visa no problem at all. You'll be given a card on the flight, have that ready and they'll give you the other half to keep for when you're leaving the country.

The Cambodian visa was $25 at the Cambodian border (coming from Vietnam for me but I'm sure there's no difference), same job though. Just rock up and you'll get it but you may need a passport photo. The only country we needed a visa in advance for was Vietnam

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Booser

You'll get a free 30 day visa on arrival. I needed no proof of how long I was staying or how I was leaving and I was given the visa no problem at all. You'll be given a card on the flight, have that ready and they'll give you the other half to keep for when you're leaving the country.

The Cambodian visa was $25 at the Cambodian border (coming from Vietnam for me but I'm sure there's no difference), same job though. Just rock up and you'll get it but you may need a passport photo. The only country we needed a visa in advance for was Vietnam

Thanks, thats good news. I never heard personally of irish citizens needing a thai visa in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭j.s. pill II

I'm wondering can someone clear up something else on this subject for me?

I plan to fly in to Bangkok on Feb 4th. I'll be spending about 3 weeks altogether in Thailand before heading to Laos and Vietnam. I plan to spend a little while in the southern Thai islands around mid April. So, I'll be re-entering Thailand after my initial 30 days has expired.

Will this present a problem? One friend said no, they will simply re-stamp your passport when you re-enter. It has been about 7 years since he was there though.

Can anyone advise what situation is at present?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Booser wrote: »

Technically you do need a visa if you don't have a confirmed flight ticket out of Thailand. "Travellers entering Thailand for periods longer than thirty days or travellers who arrive in Thailand but intend to depart via any land border will require a Tourist visa," according to the Thai consulate.

In practice they rarely check and I've never been asked about my plans at Thai immigration.

Your call really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I'm wondering can someone clear up something else on this subject for me?

I plan to fly in to Bangkok on Feb 4th. I'll be spending about 3 weeks altogether in Thailand before heading to Laos and Vietnam. I plan to spend a little while in the southern Thai islands around mid April. So, I'll be re-entering Thailand after my initial 30 days has expired.

Will this present a problem? One friend said no, they will simply re-stamp your passport when you re-enter. It has been about 7 years since he was there though.

Can anyone advise what situation is at present?

Thanks

It's two separate visits so it's not an issue. If you enter by land on the second visit though you'll only get a 15 day stamp.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Booser wrote:

I've never been questioned about my Thai travel plans either as killbillvol2 said; however in this instance it might be the airline who could cause trouble for you and not immigration. Some airlines might refuse to check you in unless you show them proof of onward travel. Best bet is get to the airport really early for your flight to Thailand and checkin straight away, if they refuse to check you in without an onward flight at least then you will then have enough time to buy a a cheap ticket online with Air Asia etc. which you can then present as your evidence of onward travel.

The onward travel ticket rule is rigorously enforced in the Philippines and I myself fell foul of it this year in that I had my ticket home booked but I did not have the printed ticket with me and I had to dash off to an internet cafe in the airport and print out my Etihad itenerary back to Ireland before the Cebu Pacific airline staff would allow me checkin for travel to the Philippines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Ed_Stephens

You do need a stamp and fill out the card they give you on the place back and front, if you lose the departure card just get one at the airport when you're leaving. This is essentially the 30 day visa but no advance visa is required. They do ask natives of some countries for proof of funds when they enter, Ireland won't be one of these.

You don't have to get an advance visa for Cambodia but it's the easiest way of doing it, the visa on arrival can be a right mess.

Advertisement