Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance renewal

Options
  • 31-10-2013 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

My insurance is due for renewal.

I have filled in forms online for the following companies, the quotes are all fully comp and have very similar extras.

Zurich - €500 including NCB protection. No idea what excess is.

Aviva - €699 with NCB protection. €300 excess.

AXA - €593 with NCB protection. €500 excess.

I have one additional driver on the policy, road side assistance, wind screen replacement, I can drive other cars with 3rd party cover, road side assistance, accidental damage (what about malicious damage?), driving in the EU.

Seems pretty standard stuff. One thing I did notice is that for AXA I have the option to add the "injury to driver" option. I thought this would have been covered in fully comp insurance. I did not select this option. Is this normally included in fully comp insurance? We both have health insurance so this shouldn't be a big issue.

What are your opinions on these companies? I was with 123.ie and won't go with them again, they gave me a joke of a quote this year, €1250... seems like they pulled that figure out of their back side.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Seems pretty standard stuff. One thing I did notice is that for AXA I have the option to add the "injury to driver" option. I thought this would have been covered in fully comp insurance. I did not select this option. Is this normally included in fully comp insurance? We both have health insurance so this shouldn't be a big issue.

Fully comp. covers damage to the car which is not recoverable from a third party, it typically never covers injury to the driver.
    What are your opinions on these companies? I was with 123.ie and won't go with them again, they gave me a joke of a quote this year, €1250... seems like they pulled that figure out of their back side.

Confusing question, are you sure you don't mean 'what do you think of these quotes?' We'd need a general indication of your age, the car you're insuring and your driving history (penalty points, recent claims history) in order to comment on the quotes for comparison with our own situations. Where you live also affects the premium.

If you really do mean: 'What are your opinions on these companies?', they are all multinationals quoted on various stock exchanges and financially very sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

coylemj wrote: »
    Fully comp. covers damage to the car which is not recoverable from a third party, it typically never covers injury to the driver.

Awesome, thanks for the reply. I wasn't aware of this.
    Confusing question, are you sure you don't mean 'what do you think of these quotes?' We'd need a general indication of your age, the car you're insuring and your driving history (penalty points, recent claims history) in order to comment on the quotes for comparison with our own situations. Where you live also affects the premium.

If you really do mean: 'What are your opinions on these companies?', they are all multinationals quoted on various stock exchanges and financially very sound.

I'm just wondering what they are like to deal with, would you stay away from them or are they just average? For the extra money, I would expect a higher level of service from Aviva, but that may not be the case.

I am over 25, 6+ years NCB (never had a claim), living in Blackrock, no penalty points, drive a 1.8 TDCi Ford Focus 2008 model. No mods, or anything like that. 10km per year driving (terrible use of a diesel, I know).

AXA called me, reduced the quote to €530. I am inclined to go with AXA.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Can't help you comparing those companies since I'm with Axa for years and haven't had a claim (touching wood) for a long, long time.

After a while if you're a good boy and have a fully comp policy, Axa will give you free fully comp cover for 'driving other cars', it costs nothing and is basically a carrot to hang on to your business. You can't ask for it i.e. you have to wait until they just give it to you. It means that if you borrow the neighbour's car and wrap it around a tree, you can claim the damage (up to 50K) from your own policy, otherwise in any other situation you would have a serious problem because the cover to drive other cars under your policy is typically third party cover only.

Advertisement