Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog killled on the Luas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

The dog got off the Luas & the lady was on board holding the lead so the poor dog was dragged along because the lead was in the doorway. The lady never had the chance to release the collar.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

HOrrible story, lady must be devastated at losing her dog in such a manner

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭mrbrown69

Goodne wrote: »
    The dog got off the Luas & the lady was on board holding the lead so the poor dog was dragged along because the lead was in the doorway. The lady never had the chance to release the collar.

"Mrs Reilly said her brother, who was standing at the stop, tried to get the driver’s attention but to no avail."

a simple action could have saved alot of heartache....actually remember seeing a vid somewhere of a dogs lead getting stuck in the doors of a lift, a quick thinking bystander instantly released the lead avoiding a horrible death for the dog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I imagine that when the driver releases the brake, the doors automatically lock.

Obviously what happened is that the dog stepped onto the platform, and maybe the women were a bit slow in stepping off or the driver was a bit hasty in taking off. Either way, by the time they reacted, the driver had probably released the brake (locking the door) and started to take off. At that stage no-one outside would be quick enough to release the dog from the lead.

Poor little thing :(
    Horrible thing for the women to have had to deal with.

The brother had gotten out before them and was aware what happened, he was on the outside trying to get the drivers attention...he could have released the collar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭cali_eire

mrbrown69 wrote: »
    The brother had gotten out before them and was aware what happened, he was on the outside trying to get the drivers attention...he could have released the collar
    It must have happened very quickly and been very distressing for all involved . Sometimes we dont do the most logical things under stress. I am sure you are only trying to point out a helpful lesson but sometimes life just happens and people react how they react. Hindsight is 20/20 but to be honest I dont know I would have done any different to this guy in the circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I can't see anyone being able to lean down to the level of a chihuahua while trying to fiddle about trying to remove a collar, and all the time running along to keep up with an accelerating Luas tram myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Jasus, thats a horrible thing to happen.

I wasnt aware dogs were allowed on the Luas

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,510 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Sort of surprised that no one pulled the emergency brake. Veolia Transport have said that it would definitely have been justified in this sort of a case, so something to keep in mind for the future.

Alun wrote: »
    I can't see anyone being able to lean down to the level of a chihuahua while trying to fiddle about trying to remove a collar, and all the time running along to keep up with an accelerating Luas tram myself.

lift the dog release strap...a second and a half if that, the luas takes off at a walking pace....I'm only guessing but I am guessing there was time to do something....me personally I wouldn't have stood back and let it happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What's a "Dog release strap" ? Don't dog collars have buckles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

In hindsight I am sure there are things that could have been done, maybe or maybe not have made a difference but when you are under pressure you react different and we also are talking about an OAP here. Must have been dreadful for them and am sure still is. So sad :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,073 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

they're not

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭cali_eire

lift the dog release strap...a second and a half if that, the luas takes off at a walking pace....I'm only guessing but I am guessing there was time to do something....me personally I wouldn't have stood back and let it happen

Dude ... he didnt stand back - he tried to alert the driver. I dont know what your deal is but there is nothing to be gained by putting down the valiant efforts of a distraught OAP. Save the Monday morning quarterbacking for something else because no one's going to give you a medal here for thinking you would be better in this situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

they're not

They are, but they're supposed to be in a carrier.

cali_eire wrote: »
    Dude ... he didnt stand back - he tried to alert the driver. I dont know what your deal is but there is nothing to be gained by putting down the valiant efforts of a distraught OAP. Save the Monday morning quarterbacking for something else because no one's going to give you a medal here for thinking you would be better in this situation.

Is that an Americanism....you weren't there nor was I, you're no more correct than I.....what I do know is that the general public are by and large thick and stupid, yes that's right thick and stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Can you please explain what you mean by dog release strap, I've not come across that term before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

muddypaws wrote: »
    Can you please explain what you mean by dog release strap, I've not come across that term before.

Maybe they mean those quick release collars. Some collars are buckles but others have those fastening where you press the sides of the clip and it comes out.

Either way you cant really suggest that the brother was slow to do something I assume he was elderly too and he tried to alert the driver. I would to think that my reactions would be faster but probably not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,296 ✭✭✭Ardent

I'd like to learn more about this "quick release strap" too. I have a whole bunch of leads and harnesses for my dog and they all use buckles.

Anyway, horrible thing to happen. I'm sure it all happened so fast before anyone could really do anything about it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Is that an Americanism....you weren't there nor was I, you're no more correct than I.....what I do know is that the general public are by and large thick and stupid, yes that's right thick and stupid

Calm down.there is no need for responses like this.Consider this a mod warning.Don't respond to this on thread.

• Advertisement

Hmm...dog, release strap...how's that?

Hmm...dog, release strap...how's that?

No sorry, my dogs have collars or harnesses and leads. The lead clips onto the harnesses and collars, so still no idea what you are talking about.

Why don't you pretend I'm really stupid and explain it - oh wait, you already are.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Why don't you pretend I'm really stupid and explain it - oh wait, you already are.

Enough is enough.Infraction given.Ive already warned on thread about responses like this.If anyone else decides to ignore a mod instruction again I will issue a one week ban from the forum without warning

No sorry, my dogs have collars or harnesses and leads. The lead clips onto the harnesses and collars, so still no idea what you are talking about.

Now then, lets try this without being told off....."the lead clips onto the harness and collars" so when you "unclip" that lead you are doing what?

for strap see ...collar, lead it can also be used for a belt...it's a handy word isn't it

Now then, lets try this without being told off....."the lead clips onto the harness and collars" so when you "unclip" that lead you are doing what?

for strap see ...collar, lead it can also be used for a belt...it's a handy word isn't it

That isn't what you said earlier, you said 'dog release strap', as if it was a particular object.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

RIP little gizmo, hopefully it may save a human life from the lesson learnt,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Originally Posted by mrbrown69 View Post
    lift the dog release strap...

When you say this it sounds like an aeroplane seat belt. I don't know of any dog collar, lead, or harness that is as easy to just "lift". Most mechanisms require two hands, one to hold the buckle, the other to exert pressure on the plastic clip to push it in and release or unbuckle a traditional style collar. Both fiddly and difficult, and bear in mind that it was an OAP trying to deal with this situation, not superman.

It sounds like a horrific accident, a horrible chain of events that led to the dogs death. The lack of attention paid to the dog getting out through the doors and the driver for failing to ensure that the platform/door area was absolutely clear. I know Chihuahuas are small but somebody in charge of a public transit vehicle should have good eyesight. I would have thought it was a prerequisite of the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

juniord wrote: »
    RIP little gizmo, hopefully it may save a human life from the lesson learnt,

?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

?
    a child with a set of straps walks off and the door closes same scenario

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

juniord wrote: »
    a child with a set of straps walks off and the door closes same scenario

Glad you cleared that up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement