Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog killled on the Luas

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,190 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

When you say this it sounds like an aeroplane seat belt. I don't know of any dog collar, lead, or harness that is as easy to just "lift". Most mechanisms require two hands, one to hold the buckle, the other to exert pressure on the plastic clip to push it in and release or unbuckle a traditional style collar. Both fiddly and difficult, and bear in mind that it was an OAP trying to deal with this situation, not superman.

It sounds like a horrific accident, a horrible chain of events that led to the dogs death. The lack of attention paid to the dog getting out through the doors and the driver for failing to ensure that the platform/door area was absolutely clear. I know Chihuahuas are small but somebody in charge of a public transit vehicle should have good eyesight. I would have thought it was a prerequisite of the job.

arent leads attached to collars by clips?
    leave the collar on and just unclip the lead?

also are luas doors like bus doors? its not metal to metal,the close by two rubber sides touching, probably could have just pulled the lead though it if the other person let go.

Finally, no one pulled the emergency break? Im sure the dog was alive for a good while, even if it was being dragged?

RIP little dude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

GreeBo wrote: »
    arent leads attached to collars by clips?
    leave the collar on and just unclip the lead?

As I said, it's not that simple and easy in a panic as 'lift the dog release strap' as the MrBrown tried to assert. They are finicky, the metal ring is also flexible where attached to the fabric and most times needs to be held while unclipping the lead. Bearing in mind also that it's a chi, which would have a tiny collar with a tiny metal ring, and highly likely a small clip on the lead. On top of that an older person who is less mobile and wouldn't have the dexterity of a 20 year old trying to unclip the dog added to the tragedy.
    also are luas doors like bus doors? its not metal to metal,the close by two rubber sides touching, probably could have just pulled the lead though it if the other person let go.

I don't know, it's been 4/5 years since I've been on one. Who knows, maybe there was one of those poop bag dispensers attached to the handle or it got caught in the door track.
    Finally, no one pulled the emergency break? Im sure the dog was alive for a good while, even if it was being dragged?

RIP little dude.

That's what should have been done, but usually there's a split second to make that decision, find the button and then you're faced with the big warning that says "XXXfine for improper use". With the low regard that a good bit of the general populace seem to hold animals, it would have stalled a good few people from pushing that button.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭mrbrown69

When you say this it sounds like an aeroplane seat belt. I don't know of any dog collar, lead, or harness that is as easy to just "lift". Most mechanisms require two hands, one to hold the buckle, the other to exert pressure on the plastic clip to push it in and release or unbuckle a traditional style collar. Both fiddly and difficult, and bear in mind that it was an OAP trying to deal with this situation, not superman.

A few people were splitting hairs here, lift the dog as in lift the dog up and release the collar/strap whatever very very simple....these trams don't move off at any speed..it was slow enough for a tiny dog like that to run a few yards alongside....also there is no mention of the owners brother being an OAP, he was the one outside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

mrbrown69 wrote: »
    A few people were splitting hairs here, lift the dog as in lift the dog up and release the collar/strap whatever very very simple....these trams don't move off at any speed..it was slow enough for a tiny dog like that to run a few yards alongside....also there is no mention of the owners brother being an OAP, he was the one outside

It's not splitting hairs, I really don't know why you think you would be capable of doing things differently. I've already explained how finicky leads can be. Do you have a dog? Do you know how difficult it is to get a lead off a wriggling dog, or one that is being pulled in another direction? Or when the dog is the size of a chihuahua?

And her brother is an OAP, he's 67.

http://www.thestar.ie/star/dog-dragged-to-death-by-luas-35445/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

OP, it sounds like you've an agenda against the family to me?! The brother may not have realised the issue the second it happened, thereby losing invaluable split seconds in saving the dog.

Assuming he is an OAP, then presuming he could capably bend down whilst walking the speed of the Luas, handling a TERRIFIED animal, using elderly hands to release the dog, being aware of the distance before his head would have also collided with the wall and maintaining composure throughout whilst hearing his poor sisters screams of terror.

What point are you trying to prove?

It was an incredibly horrific ordeal for all involved. Leave it at that. Why try to assume they could have done better? You're not gonna receive any medals in this forum. Most here have lost a dear pet at some stage through old age. To lose one under these circumstances would be beyond mine, if not most here, comprehension.

I don't see the value/point in this thread. Perhaps you could enlighten me as to what you're trying to achieve?

Edit: as above, the man does seem to be an OAP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Is that an Americanism....you weren't there nor was I, you're no more correct than I.....what I do know is that the general public are by and large thick and stupid, yes that's right thick and stupid

So..how's it goin' God?

Whoops ....sorry mods, just noticed no response call, my bad....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭mrbrown69

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    OP, it sounds like you've an agenda against the family to me?! The brother may not have realised the issue the second it happened, thereby losing invaluable split seconds in saving the dog.

Assuming he is an OAP, then presuming he could capably bend down whilst walking the speed of the Luas, handling a TERRIFIED animal, using elderly hands to release the dog, being aware of the distance before his head would have also collided with the wall and maintaining composure throughout whilst hearing his poor sisters screams of terror.

What point are you trying to prove?

It was an incredibly horrific ordeal for all involved. Leave it at that. Why try to assume they could have done better? You're not gonna receive any medals in this forum. Most here have lost a dear pet at some stage through old age. To lose one under these circumstances would be beyond mine, if not most here, comprehension.

I don't see the value/point in this thread. Perhaps you could enlighten me as to what you're trying to achieve?

Edit: as above, the man does seem to be an OAP.

No medals?? well **** that then that's me done....I should have asked first would have saved alot of hand wringing :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

You didn't answer my question?

Why create this thread other than to stir things needlessly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

No medals?? well **** that then that's me done....I should have asked first would have saved alot of hand wringing :cool:

You're done?

Well we're done too!

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement