Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Larry Gogan be axed from RTE 2FM ?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Golden oldies have their place. Suggesting that he be axed on the basis of his age is called "ageism" which is illegal. Anyway who better to present the 60's the golden age of pop music other than Larry. By the way from my research here I believe that most young people would like to grow old. If you don't maybe I can help you with some psychological psychotherapy.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Larrys a legend!

For fook sake is he still alive, I thought he went when the DVD's were invented.

With an outlook like that you can expect to go through the rest of your life "Busted Flat" . Please cop on.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

For fook sake is he still alive, I thought he went when the DVD's were invented.

Whats a DVD...????.....................:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Whats a DVD...????.....................:P

I am not really up to date with this sort of thing, but my Gran kids can show wonderful things when they put one of these circular things into something with wires.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭eiresandra

Xenophile wrote: »
    Golden oldies have their place. Suggesting that he be axed on the basis of his age is called "ageism" which is illegal. Anyway who better to present the 60's the golden age of pop music other than Larry. By the way from my research here I believe that most young people would like to grow old. If you don't maybe I can help you with some psychological psychotherapy.

That's all very well, except the current playlist on the golden hour consists of All Saints 'Pure Shores' and Ice Cube "Put Your Back Into It" so it's hard to see Larry's relevance.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

larry is/is not, the problem, 2fm has no identity and should be removed from the public radio sector, sell it or close it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭July Rain

eiresandra wrote: »
    That's all very well, except the current playlist on the golden hour consists of All Saints 'Pure Shores' and Ice Cube "Put Your Back Into It" so it's hard to see Larry's relevance.

I have heard songs from 2010 on the golden hour recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭georgesstreet

eiresandra wrote: »

I'd broaden out the question and suggest its hard to see the relevance of 2fm. Since G Ryan's departure, it seems to be unsure of what it's for, or who it's aiming its output at.

• Advertisement

corkonion wrote: »
    larry is/is not, the problem, 2fm has no identity and should be removed from the public radio sector, sell it or close it.

I agree, as I said here before it has no public broadcasting relevance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭July Rain

I'd broaden out the question and suggest its hard to see the relevance of 2fm. Since G Ryan's departure, it seems to be unsure of what it's for, or who it's aiming its output at.

I think 2fms problems started well over a decade before Gerry Ryans death, infant during the 00s Gerry Ryan was a major part of 2fms identity problem, it was claiming to be a youth station for 15-34s, yet it had a middle aged man on talking about the menopause in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

July Rain wrote: »
    I think 2fms problems started well over a decade before Gerry Ryans death, infant during the 00s Gerry Ryan was a major part of 2fms identity problem, it was claiming to be a youth station for 15-34s, yet it had a middle aged man on talking about the menopause in the morning.
    followed by a pensioner playing a combination of 60s music mixed with the likes of billy ray cyrus.

you couldnt make it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭georgesstreet

July Rain wrote: »

Isn't it amazing he used to regularly get audiences of between 300000 and 400000 and the only thing he talked about for 15 hours broadcasting every week was the menopause?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Dwoogle

Larry won't be axed but I think the golden hour will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

Now,nothing against the lad himself, never listen, never go next to near 2fm.

But surely there is a disconnect there between a person hitting 80 playing stuff on a station ostensibly at the ' young edgy blades'.

Secondly surely poor Larry wouldn't be out on the side of the road under a cardboard box if his services were dispensed with.

Surely he would have provided a pension like everyone else and enjoy putting the feet up.

It's a life experience everyone has to go through most usually in their 60s.

Larry surely seems to have had a lot better innings than most, so I'm a tad puzzled at to the 'angst' at the thought of 'axing' him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Now,nothing against the lad himself, never listen, never go next to near 2fm.

But surely there is a disconnect there between a person hitting 80 playing stuff on a station ostensibly at the ' young edgy blades'.

Secondly surely poor Larry wouldn't be out on the side of the road under a cardboard box if his services were dispensed with.

Surely he would have provided a pension like everyone else and enjoy putting the feet up.

It's a life experience everyone has to go through most usually in their 60s.

Larry surely seems to have had a lot better innings than most, so I'm a tad puzzled at to the 'angst' at the thought of 'axing' him.
    2fm hasn't been a station for the young people for years, it should target the older audience, turn it into a BBC radio 2 type station, theirs no need to dispense with larrys services, he's fine, you say you don't listen to 2fm so nothing to worry about

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

2fm hasn't been a station for the young people for years, it should target the older audience, turn it into a BBC radio 2 type station, theirs no need to dispense with larrys services, he's fine, you say you don't listen to 2fm so nothing to worry about

You can rest assured I'm not worried about 2fm:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

You know, it reads that way on paper but if you compare him to some of the DJs on the other stations, Larry knows his music and does it for the love of the music.

I'd rather listen to him than the likes of Lottie Ryan who seems to know very little about the music she plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

The other day Larry played "one of the biggest hits of the year"... Gangnam Style.

I'll just about excuse the brutal song, but Gangnam Style was out about the middle of 2012, not 2013.

That's only one example though, he often mixes up band names, sing titles etc. I'm sure he's s lovely man and he's a legend of broadcasting- but it's time to give a new name a chance. Typical RTE though. Same names year after year. They even had Anne Doyle present some stupid quiz lately.

Remember when people used to just retire gracefully?

Meangadh wrote: »
    The other day Larry played "one of the biggest hits of the year"... Gangnam Style.

I'll just about excuse the brutal song, but Gangnam Style was out about the middle of 2012, not 2013.

That's only one example though, he often mixes up band names, sing titles etc. I'm sure he's s lovely man and he's a legend of broadcasting- but it's time to give a new name a chance. Typical RTE though. Same names year after year. They even had Anne Doyle present some stupid quiz lately.

Remember when people used to just retire gracefully?
    what new name though? their are many good broadcasters around i'd agree but whether they would fit the format of 2fm i don't know, most of the very good ones are in the older age bracket but would fit the format if 2fm changed to targeting the older audience, can't believe it was 2012 that **** song Gangnam Style came out, years are flying, god i'm getting old fast lol

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement

what new name though?

But sure isn't that the point? That they're new and we don't know their names yet? I'm listening to pretty much the same people on the radio all my life bar a few exceptions. That's a good thing in some cases, but in a few others (like Larry) it's just time to give a new voice a go. Or at the very least cut back the amount of hours he's on air.

Meangadh wrote: »
    But sure isn't that the point? That they're new and we don't know their names yet? I'm listening to pretty much the same people on the radio all my life bar a few exceptions. That's a good thing in some cases, but in a few others (like Larry) it's just time to give a new voice a go. Or at the very least cut back the amount of hours he's on air.
    but why should he if he doesn't want to and RTE don't want him to? maybe RTE feels that the talent out there don't fit the format of their stations rightly or wrongly, or maybe its the case that some they have approached don't want to move from where they are? who knows

but why should he if he doesn't want to and RTE don't want him to? maybe RTE feels that the talent out there don't fit the format of their stations rightly or wrongly, or maybe its the case that some they have approached don't want to move from where they are? who knows

I somehow get the feeling though that RTE have made no effort to replace him, that they want to keep him. Which is fine, but then they can have no reason to complain when the numbers of their target audience (which I can only assume is the 16-40ish age group) continues to drop off in favour of Today FM, Spin, Beat etc.

I'm not saying that Larry doesn't have any place at all on the airwaves, but I think that he's just not suitable for the role he has now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Dwoogle

Larrys golden hour would fit like a glove on rte radio 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Honestly I have no strong opinion on Larry Gogan, one way or the other. The argument being made here to get rid of him seems to be based on his age, however, and frankly that's no basis for an argument.

He clearly has a passion for music if he is still involved and most likely a loyal following. Ergo why would RTE just drop him because he's the wrong side of the pension age?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Inspector Dhar

Off with all of your heads! Treason!!! Sir Laurence of Gogania reigns supreme. Jaysus... they even named a dog after him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Moe Gilmore

aidan leonard is filling in for Larry this week. Didn't know he was still there !

• Site Banned Posts: 14 an o rak

Larry should take this opportunity to step down gracefully from 2fm. Having iradio 2.0 on weekdays followed by a 12 hour marathon of dinosaur DJs at weekends makes no sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I listened to the show today, and it was the best music show on at that time.

Madness, Happy Mondays, Pearl Jam, Blink 182, Britney Spears....

He does what DJs should do - play music, intro, outro and leave it at that (apart from the 1 minute of a quiz of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

At least some common sense prevails in 2FM!

"Some" being the charitable word.....

http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/larry-gogan-weekends-2fm-1303206-Feb2014/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Turn the radio on

I think Larry should have resigned tbh. He is only going to be filling a token weekend slot with pre selected music. If i was a 76 year old widower with lots of money, I wouldn't stick around at the new 2fm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Long live Larry! Best in the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Larry Gogan always kept RTE 2fm afloat in good times and bad times. The man deserves serious respect and is not responsible for the way RTE 2fm has been allowed to drift for many years. It has been going downhill since Ian Dempsey departed the 2FM Breakfast Show back in 1998 and was floored altogether after the late Gerry Ryan passed away in 2010. That was the killer blow which they have never recovered from to this day. Larry does have a very loyal audience but I'm inclined to think he would now be more suited to either RTE Radio 1 or given a presenting role on digital station RTE GOLD especially if RTE 2fm is targeting a younger audience and avoiding the golden oldies format altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mobile Dj

Entertainment seems to be the only area where; the more experienced you are the less demand there is for you..

All I see on these forums is how old the DJ is and also is seems only to be male presenters that are targeted.

Larry Gogan has been there through thick and thin and if memory serves me right was brought in on a number of occasions to attract listeners.

Age is not important if the presenter is good at their job..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭John Joe Jones

I wonder why will leahy is allowed play 80s music but Larry isn't ?

I wonder why will leahy is allowed play 80s music but Larry isn't ?
    because Larry would probably dig out the better less heard stuff? we all know how in relation to oldies the modern thinking these days is, play the same repetitive well known ones dispite the fact people got sick of them years ago. while the better stuff gets forgotten about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭John Joe Jones

is Larry getting axed ? Rick O'Shea is getting his weekend slot. Dan Healy recently said in an interview how great Larry is, just like he said in an interview how great Hector was a month before he axed him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

is Larry getting axed ? Rick O'Shea is getting his weekend slot

Surely it can't be an axe ...........The man is 77

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Probably..but since I very, very rarely listen to 2FM, I don't really mind!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Larry does have a very loyal audience but I'm inclined to think he would now be more suited to either RTE Radio 1

Noooooooooo! Keep him on 2FM, I've just changed my mind. How do I vote again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭thevinylword

Proper legend of the airwaves, let him do as he pleases, he's earned that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Brother camping

Larry is as good as axed from rte 2fm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Cliff Walker

I guess its kinda unfair that presenters that are 20-35 younger than him are to be axed for being too old.

• Site Banned Posts: 55 ✭✭Billy The Shiite Bag

2FM should be axed full stop.

Hope Larry is holding up ok. He'd probably be last on my chopping list.

Poll is 52:48, just like Brexit.

#Lexit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

It's seriously time to axe The Golden Hour title from Larry's show, 20 mins in today and every song played on the "The Golden Hour" has been from 2014. Even the old school sunday shows on the youth stations play older music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Delacent

Rte's problem for years is being afraid to disappoint a small minority who shout loudly and hate change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

His Saturday listenership figures are actually pretty good at 109k for a 2 hour show, only marginally less than what Tracy Clifford and Eoghan McDermott get on weekdays for a 3 hour show.

Advertisement