Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston marathon

Options
  • 31-10-2013 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

Curious if folk around here have been to Boston how it rates as an event? How fast does it sell out (I see its already full for next year).

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You can only get in if you qualify. No lottery. Charity entries and sports travel entries available as well.
    The faster your time, the more likely you are to get in. People who are at least 20(?) mins faster than QT get first dibs and get to enter before people who are 10 mins faster or something like that. With your DCM time you'd be unlikely not to get in. Plenty of time to improve on that even more before entry opens next Sept though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

kingQuez wrote: »
    Curious if folk around here have been to Boston how it rates as an event? How fast does it sell out (I see its already full for next year).

Brilliant event, not to be missed if you can get in... Not cheap mind, both in terms of entry cost and more specifically, hotel cost. But a fantastic atmosphere starting with the lines of yellow school buses taking everyone to the start in Hopkinton and the amazing support along the route..... Google Wellesley College girls Boston Marathon and you'll quickly justify the hotel costs :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

As an event it was world class, as a marathon it sucked, but that was down to me having a bad day.

I stayed for 5 days and enjoyed every minute of it, apart from the 190 ones on the course :rolleyes:

If you can qualify and if you can afford it (it sure ain't cheap) I'd definitely recommend it. My main problem is, the second I came home the missus informed me that I was welcome to do New York as well but only if she could come with me this time, which may have snookered my chances of ever running the Big Apple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

kingQuez wrote: »

I grew up pretty much on the course. It is the best marathon in the world. Simple as. No other marathon comes close in terms of history, support, legends etc etc... over a million people come out just to watch it every year.

I haven't run it yet (have just qualified w/ a 2:50) but will be running it in 2015. If you can run a qualifying time 2015 should be a pretty easy year to get in as there is huge interest in this years marathon (for obvious reasons) and most likely this will not be the case in 2015.

*may be a slightly biased opinion

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Brilliant event, not to be missed if you can get in... Not cheap mind, both in terms of entry cost and more specifically, hotel cost. But a fantastic atmosphere starting with the lines of yellow school buses taking everyone to the start in Hopkinton and the amazing support along the route..... Google Wellesley College girls Boston Marathon and you'll quickly justify the hotel costs :D;)

What point does this come at? Just wondering if this was the part where you were at the slowest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

Not much to add to the above. I had a terrible race there, but it will still stand out as one of the greatest running experiences I've had. Atmosphere in the city is incredible withone massive street party on the day of the race.

Anyone who qualifies should make the logistical and financial effort to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I don't want to go back.... I neeeeeed to go back....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 M F F

I am in and looking to organise myself early.

Any recommendations on hotels to suit the marathon?

I'm not too pushed about cost. I will be traveling solo and planning on making a good trip of it (NY & maybe Vegas post marathon). I'll be making the trip regardless of fitness/injury as I think it will be a special event to see in any event.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

M F F wrote: »
    I am in and looking to organise myself early.

Any recommendations on hotels to suit the marathon?

I'm not too pushed about cost. I will be traveling solo and planning on making a good trip of it (NY & maybe Vegas post marathon). I'll be making the trip regardless of fitness/injury as I think it will be a special event to see in any event.

If cost is no issue staying near the finish line, which is right by where the expo is and only a few mins walk from where the buses leave for the start line is probably the best bet. The Westin is right on finish line, friends stayed there and liked it. A couple of us stayed in the Taj, halfway between finish line and where buses leave. Both very nice but pricey, maybe 400 dollars a night, but can be gotten cheaper at times. There is a real buzz around the area and it means you won't have to get up too early for the buses and will be very convenient for watching the quality 5k the day before (I think gebremeskel won it last year, Cragg took it out). A thought actually if you can't get marathon fit, but are going anyway, it's a lightning quick 5k, so a good fall back. On early Sunday morning. Another friend recommended hotel 140 highly. Only a few mins walk from away from the main marathon strip but only 100 dollars a night and pretty nice.

If cost is no issue staying near the finish line, which is right by where the expo is and only a few mins walk from where the buses leave for the start line is probably the best bet. The Westin is right on finish line, friends stayed there and liked it. A couple of us stayed in the Taj, halfway between finish line and where buses leave. Both very nice but pricey, maybe 400 dollars a night, but can be gotten cheaper at times. There is a real buzz around the area and it means you won't have to get up too early for the buses and will be very convenient for watching the quality 5k the day before (I think gebremeskel won it last year, Cragg took it out). A thought actually if you can't get marathon fit, but are going anyway, it's a lightning quick 5k, so a good fall back. On early Sunday morning. Another friend recommended hotel 140 highly. Only a few mins walk from away from the main marathon strip but only 100 dollars a night and pretty nice.

Thanks.

Looking through, Hotel 140 sold out 19/20/21. Taj was 720 a night and Westin about 600. Not sure if prices are falsely high due to marathon places being confirmed in the last few weeks. Looks like it will take some research. I am not THAT pushed on price but 700 night for a basic hotel room is a bit much!

• Advertisement

Thanks.

Looking through, Hotel 140 sold out 19/20/21. Taj was 720 a night and Westin about 600. Not sure if prices are falsely high due to marathon places being confirmed in the last few weeks. Looks like it will take some research. I am not THAT pushed on price but 700 night for a basic hotel room is a bit much!

Rooms in 140 could well become available again. I remember checking soon after this years race and it was saying sold out then. My friend didn't book it till January, but maybe this year will be busier. I imagine the other 2 will be cheaper at times over the next few months. It is definitely pretty difficult to find anything in that area without breaking the bank.

Rooms in 140 could well become available again. I remember checking soon after this years race and it was saying sold out then. My friend didn't book it till January, but maybe this year will be busier. I imagine the other 2 will be cheaper at times over the next few months. It is definitely pretty difficult to find anything in that area without breaking the bank.

Yeah, i was thinking 400 a night for the 3 days around the marathon would get me something decent but maybe kidding myself. Staying on your own bumps up the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

Yeah, i was thinking 400 a night for the 3 days around the marathon would get me something decent but maybe kidding myself. Staying on your own bumps up the cost.

I've recommended it a few times, but airbnb.com are worth a look, especially if you're willing to take a room in someone's house.

Just had a quick look there- still a couple hotels in the Seaport district available in your price range. I like this part of town- it's a mile/ mile and a half away from the finish line but very lively w good food options and cabs/ public transport are very handy in Boston.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

What point does this come at? Just wondering if this was the part where you were at the slowest?

Ahem...... It's the point where I realised there was much more to life than running 7 minute miles :);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Ah poor old MFF, still have no friends I see. Or at least associates who would be willing to travel and listen to your $hitetalk for the duration of a flight ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

What a marathon, I was there last year and am back in for 2014 (got my acceptance card in the post yesterday ) Party atmosphere all way around...I can't wait to go back.
    I stayed in the Copley Sq Hotel last year, less that 400 metres from the finish line...it was so close that when i finished last year , i was back in the room calling home when i clearly head both bombs going off and the screams from people like it was outside the room window...really recommend that hotel but it is pricey....roll on Patriots Day 2014 !

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

I am running 2014.
    I have a wife who has no interest in shopping (she was carefully selected! ). As a result she has no real interest in going to Boston - I would like if she was to go but as she is a non runner im finding it difficult to sell the trip to her?
    Can anyone sell the trip to me to convince her, it would ease the guilt of heading off on another marathon trip leaving her at home with 2 small kids?
    Over the years we have been to New York, Chicago etc but never had much of an interest in Boston as a city, other than the marathon.
    There are a few of us heading over from running club, most of them have family/friends in the area and therefore are sorted for accomodation.
    I booked my hotel a couple of months ago in a panic. 4 nights for €960. (Sat-Tues)

http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hotels/massachusetts/doubletree-by-hilton-hotel-boston-downtown-BOSCODT/index.html

Assuming wife doesn’t join me, might be an option for someone here to share the hotel costs? This would be my 1st blind date in terms of sharing a hotel room and character references might be sought…… :)

EauRouge79 wrote: »
    I am running 2014.
    I have a wife who has no interest in shopping (she was carefully selected! ). As a result she has no real interest in going to Boston - I would like if she was to go but as she is a non runner im finding it difficult to sell the trip to her?
    Can anyone sell the trip to me to convince her, it would ease the guilt of heading off on another marathon trip leaving her at home with 2 small kids?
    Over the years we have been to New York, Chicago etc but never had much of an interest in Boston as a city, other than the marathon.
    There are a few of us heading over from running club, most of them have family/friends in the area and therefore are sorted for accomodation.
    I booked my hotel a couple of months ago in a panic. 4 nights for €960. (Sat-Tues)

http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hotels/massachusetts/doubletree-by-hilton-hotel-boston-downtown-BOSCODT/index.html

Assuming wife doesn’t join me, might be an option for someone here to share the hotel costs? This would be my 1st blind date in terms of sharing a hotel room and character references might be sought…… :)

Wow. Sell Boston- I don't even know where to start. First, lets get one thing clear- Boston is NOT a shopping destination. TBH New York and Chicago are much bigger retail hubs- I actually no idea where people get this notion (you aren;t the first Irish person I've heard talk of the "shopping in Boston).

Boston is an incredibly cultured, historic city with the best educational institutions in America. As such, there is a huge variety of things to offer a tourist. It is the cradle of the American Revolution and our oldest city so there is (for America) a vast amount of sites and historic places to visit. From Old Ironsides(the oldest commissioned warship in the world) to Fanueil Hall to the North End, Boston feels very much like a European city.

The Museum of Fine Arts has one of the finest collections in the USA, certainly the best collection of colonial art. We have a large and vibrant theatre district. Boston is home to the best aquarium in the USA and as whale watches that depart every couple of hours. There are numerous excellent restaurants, one of the best craft beer scenes in the world and numerous bookshops, indie cinemas, cafes and other places to enjoy.

The sports teams are outstanding and the best supported in the country. Honestly- Boston is a beautiful city and April is a fantastic time to visit. I couldn't recommend it enough to your wife. It really is one of the prettiest, most interesting and historic cities in the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

TRR wrote: »
    Ah poor old MFF, still have no friends I see. Or at least associates who would be willing to travel and listen to your $hitetalk for the duration of a flight ;)

Great private eye work there TRR, your ear is really to the ground! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

EauRouge79 wrote: »
    I am running 2014.

Nice one Eau Rouge, another one for the post Mara beers :D
    I got my own entry through BQ and then sourced the travel through Sport travel on the recomendation of Digs and CL who went with them last year.
    It's 1400 p/p sharing including flights + transfers for Friday-Tuesday (4 nights) and 1800 for a single room.
    Considering flights are approx €650 and Hotels 1k+ there is not much saving to be made booking on your own I found. It's nice in some ways to be travelling with a buch of folks doing the marathon and have nothing to worry about getting to hotels; expo etc. Worth considering for anyone pulling their hair out tryiong to source hotels etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

menoscemo wrote: »
    Nice one Eau Rouge, another one for the post Mara beers :D

Oh ill be there alright and ill give it a lash.....like London though, I might be hard pushed to maintain your pace when you start reaching for the whiskys as we pass Midnight!
    I was well beaten by MarthaS as well if I recall correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

I'm in for 2014. Did the race in 2012 heatwave and always wanted to go back. Great race, fantastic atmosphere and I'm sure 2014 will be a special race after what happened this year. Really liked Boston as a city, European feel to it as said earlier. Recommend a Red Sox game over the weekend if you can.

Haven't booked a hotel yet but planning to go Sat-Tues and maybe fly to Florida on Tues for a week's sun instead... Hotels are very expensive for next year's race between the bigger numbers doing it and it falls on Easter weekend..

Boston is essentially 16m downhill, 5m Newton Hills, 5m downhill/flat. In most marathons the emphasis is on getting to 20m using as little energy as possible, so the concern is mainly with getting pacing and effort levels right. I think Boston is different in that the aim should be to get to the start of the Newton Hills with the legs feeling good and I think this is more of a preparation issue than a pacing issue.

I never felt the opening 16m was advantageously downhill as it seemed like it was a succession of gentle 300m downhills followed by a gentle 100m uphill, i.e. it’s net downhill rather than all downhill. Yet it took its toll on the legs. At about 13m I started to feel twitches in the feet and anterior tibials (muscles outside the shin), something I’d never felt before. Shortly after I started feeling twitches in the quads, something which I’d experienced previously at 22/23m in a marathon and is usually the precursor of cramping. There is a very steep downhill section at 16m. This finished me off, quads were fully cramping by the bottom of this and every step thereafter was agony, with the only relief coming on the Newton uphills funnily enough. So if I was doing it again, I’d do things a little differently.

We were concerned about the Newton hills so tended to work the uphills in training. Next time I’ll do the opposite, incorporating:

1) Downhill strides - instead of doing a few 10s uphill strides at the end of easy runs twice a week, I’d do them downhill.
    2) Steady/MP runs on downhill followed by uphill route, e.g. an hour of hard down the Khyber, turn right at the bottom, relaxed up the hill there and then across the cycle path by the Munich hills to get back to the top of the Khyber again. I’d want to be feeling the quads as the limiter to this workout rather than the lungs. I’d do this a lot.
    3) Downhill intervals - e.g. 6 x Khyber. Just occasionally.
    4) Work the downhills on long runs occasionally.

I’d also do some strength and conditioning work to try and strengthen the legs (mainly quads) eccentrically, e.g. weights - squats, lunges; plyos - burpees, star jumps, depth jumps. Can’t be sure whether this would transfer to downhill running, but worth a bash I think.

It’s a great race, can’t wait to go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Regards Boston training claralara and digger used a 2 mile loop in Marlay park last year that was ideal preparation. It's relentless, constantly up and down. Maybe they'll stick a link up. They did 20+ mile runs on it.

John Tracey famously said that in Boston you needed to train for the downhill sections and he's right. The hills aren't that bad, it's not rocket science. Find some rolling hills and run up and down them. Irish runner 5 mile loop in the Phoenix park is another ideal loop. It takes in the S-bends and if you run it so you alternate going up and down the Khyber this is ideal. 4 loops of that once every 3 weeks will go along way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

TRR wrote: »
    Regards Boston training claralara and digger used a 2 mile loop in Marlay park last year that was ideal preparation. It's relentless, constantly up and down. Maybe they'll stick a link up. They did 20+ mile runs on
    It didn't work for digger ;)

Got a good room in the Hyatt on LaFayette for the 4 nights around the marathon for a price i was happy enough with. I can cancel the booking for no cost up to the 17th April which is perfect as I will scale down if I am not running. A stroll to the buses and less than a mile from the finish so works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

Just booked Westin Waterfront hotel sat-tue for €600 for 2 in Seaport (1.5 mile walk to Boston Common). Happy enough with that after thinking I'd have to get a place in the sticks for a decent price. Watching NYC marathon today would get you in the mood for it!

wideball wrote: »
    Just booked Westin Waterfront hotel sat-tue for €600 for 2 in Seaport (1.5 mile walk to Boston Common). Happy enough with that after thinking I'd have to get a place in the sticks for a decent price. Watching NYC marathon today would get you in the mood for it!

Great area. Nice hotel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

I'm in the Residence Inn at Fenway...looks nice too...about a mile from the finish line and expo.

Advertisement