Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Tá súil agxxx" usage

• 31-10-2013 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭

So anyway, I've been flying rather a lot with AerLingus lately and dealing with the mild irritation from the murdering of the Irish language in token doses in the announcements (the English ones aren't always so hot either, but I digress...).

One of the things that tends to feature in the announcements is the hope that you will have or have had (depending on which end you're at) a nice trip. For each case, they use "Tá súil againn go mbeidh/raibh turas deas agaibh". (Naturally they often mix up the tense, but that's not what this is about).

For some reason it seems invalid to use "tá súil agxxx" for something that has already happened. It seems to go against how the phrase is formed. If feels like it should only be valid in the future tense.

Am I right or am I just dreaming?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

That's what I say. Maybe i'm wrong too

Tá súil agam go raibh maidin bhreá agat.
    Tá súil agam go mbeidh oíche aisteach agat.

Advertisement