Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Tablet

Options
  • 31-10-2013 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭

i am looking at 2 Tablet at the moment just cant pick

sony xperia z or the New Ipad Air

which one is worth the money..

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

Cork24 wrote: »
    i am looking at 2 Tablet at the moment just cant pick

sony xperia z or the New Ipad Air

which one is worth the money..
    That's not even a serious question.
    Xperia beats the Ipad Air on almost every front, including price.
    Here's a side by side comparison http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5326&idPhone2=5797

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

But when it boils done to it,

Sony Z is out since Jan 2013
    Ipad Air is just out

I am looking at the Samsung Note 10.1, but i hear its not as powerful as the Ipad Air A7 Chip

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

Exactly the Z is out since January and it's still ahead of Apple on every spec except ppi which is minimal at that. That should say something.
    I'm open for correction here but I'm sure the Apple chip is only Dual core as opposed to quad core in the Sony and Samsung.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Exactly the Z is out since January and it's still ahead of Apple on every spec except ppi which is minimal at that. That should say something.
    I'm open for correction here but I'm sure the Apple chip is only Dual core as opposed to quad core in the Sony and Samsung.

is the song and Samsung 32bit or 64bit, as apple do seem to be pushing the whole iPad running 64bit

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Cork24 wrote: »
    is the song and Samsung 32bit or 64bit, as apple do seem to be pushing the whole iPad running 64bit

64Bit CPUs have little benefit with less than 4GB RAM. Its great to see ARM 64Bit CPUs, but until more RAM becomes the standard, there's not much benefit to them.
    I think it's being used more as an advertising gimmick than to showcase any real performance increase paired with 2GB RAM, but I stand to be corrected on that.

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

yoyo wrote: »
    64Bit CPUs have little benefit with less than 4GB RAM.

You are confusing what a CPU does with RAM. It isn't only for addressable memory space, and this is evident as the A7 only has 32bit address space handling.

That aside, it is future proofing the device. It allows Apple to release fully 64bit devices while ensuring that your iPad still works for years to come.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Hobbes wrote: »
    You are confusing what a CPU does with RAM. It isn't only for addressable memory space, and this is evident as the A7 only has 32bit address space handling.

That aside, it is future proofing the device. It allows Apple to release fully 64bit devices while ensuring that your iPad still works for years to come.

It is indeed future-proofing, and a welcome introduction as well. But don't believe the hype the 64bit CPUs will bring that much of a performance boost on the current 64Bit phone/tablets hardware.
    My only worry here is people with non-64Bit devices may be the losers here, if app developers decide not to produce both 32/64Bit versions of their apps down the line..

Nick

Advertisement