Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone say can only support 30mb

• 31-10-2013 5:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭

I'm currently on 24mb package from vodafone and I synch at 17mb. I live .7km away from the fibre cabinet. Are vodafone just being over cautious by saying my line will only support 30mb.

The CS agent fobbed me off with the up-to but I would have expected closer to 50mb given what I would consider a good line.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mesut Ozil

What you get now is irrelevant because your line isn't connected to fiber.

You're currently on ADSL+2. Here a speed chart for ADSL+2:
    internode-adsl2-dist07.jpg

Here is a speed chart for FTTC (fiber-powered broadband):

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.html

So 30mb seems about right. Your speed will increase when Ericom switch on vectoring some time next year, I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

synching and actual speed are two different things. what is your actual speed ala speedtest? And how do you know you are 700m away from cabinet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    synching and actual speed are two different things. what is your actual speed ala speedtest? And how do you know you are 700m away from cabinet?

The 700 meters is based on following the road, all the cables are under the road its maybe 800 could be 600m but its not too far off that.

These are my synch.

Upstream

Downstream

Current Rate (Kbps)
    764 17404

Max Rate (Kbps)
    1043 18380

SNR Margin (dB)
    13.9 6.9

Line Attenuation (dB)
    7.6 18.3

Errors (Pkts)
    0 0

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3074219434.png
    + http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3074225864

With magnet speedtest
    Download Speed: 14337 kbps (1792.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 626 kbps (78.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

I guess getting 30mb will mean a double in my current speed which isn't bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

OK I think you should get a lot more, I am with VF and about 800m from cabinet. I get 38mb down and 8mb up. Line was set up for 40mb/10mb. My old was 5.6mb down so increased by quite a margin.

There is a chart that shows the eircom profile for all the distances, ie up to 200, 300m and so on. Its on one of the threads here but where I am not sure.

Have you got many pieces of kit ie handsets connected to existing line? I had 6 extensions initially but my expert just joined the wires in the loft, called star shape, it played havoc with a pre qual check. I disconnected the lot and ran my own cat 5 cable from the NTU and kept it as short as possible. I then used wireless dect phones for the extensions.

get line re-checked and say you will move to eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    OK I think you should get a lot more, I am with VF and about 800m from cabinet. I get 38mb down and 8mb up. Line was set up for 40mb/10mb. My old was 5.6mb down so increased by quite a margin.

There is a chart that shows the eircom profile for all the distances, ie up to 200, 300m and so on. Its on one of the threads here but where I am not sure.

Have you got many pieces of kit ie handsets connected to existing line? I had 6 extensions initially but my expert just joined the wires in the loft, called star shape, it played havoc with a pre qual check. I disconnected the lot and ran my own cat 5 cable from the NTU and kept it as short as possible. I then used wireless dect phones for the extensions.

get line re-checked and say you will move to eircom.

I'll see what the connection is when its installed and if the stats suggest I could get more I'll ask for it to be adjusted. I'm in a contract so can't change...

I have no other stuff plugged into phoneline. The router is right beside the point of entry of the eircom line with a short cable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement