Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BF4 PC Configs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Hm. There's a point, never thought to check if I could unlock the extra core. I'll give that a run tonight...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Sparks wrote: »
    Hence the word "ancient" :P
    And upgrading the CPU is a limited sort of thing, there aren't too many AM3 socket cpus left at reasonable prices (you *can* get a phenom II X4 but they're not cheap, and there's also the point that we don't really know how well BF4 improves with multiple cores).

Nix the SLI idea as well, I doublechecked the motherboard to discover no SLI support at all.

Hang on. €300 or so for a cpu, €150 for a new graphics card, €50-odd for "premium" membership and €45 for the game itself?

Y'know, I might just turn down the graphics and get on with what I have and laugh every time I beat someone with hardware that costs twice what I have :D

(Besides, you've got fancier hardware, I've got an 11 ping :P )

I've an AMD Phenom II X4 3.2GHz lying around at home, is somebody looking for one?

Hm. There's a point, never thought to check if I could unlock the extra core. I'll give that a run tonight...

Nope, no dice (see what I did there?). Just hangs up (doesn't even post) if I try to unlock the core. Didn't half give me a turn the first time that happened...

BTW, FPS figures - in BF3, between 30 and 50 in Siene Crossing while running around through buildings (lowest seen was a drop to 25 at one point) and a steadier 30-35 running around Caspian Border (there was a drop to 17 but that only for a heartbeat). In BF4, FPS varies on Locker between 20 and 90 with almost no predictable range, and the perfmeter shows occasional huge CPU load spikes while the GPU just sits there going c'mon, c'mon, c'mon, lets go already...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Dave147 wrote: »
    I've an AMD Phenom II X4 3.2GHz lying around at home, is somebody looking for one?

Dave if it's a 95 watt one I'll take it Off you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

BTW, FPS figures - in BF3, between 30 and 50 in Siene Crossing while running around through buildings (lowest seen was a drop to 25 at one point) and a steadier 30-35 running around Caspian Border (there was a drop to 17 but that only for a heartbeat). In BF4, FPS varies on Locker between 20 and 90 with almost no predictable range, and the perfmeter shows occasional huge CPU load spikes while the GPU just sits there going c'mon, c'mon, c'mon, lets go already...

Exact same issue here with my set up. Its just not a finished game yet. Gonna come back to this one after a proper patch release from dice.
    It should not have been released in this state. Time to dust off the ps3 and play the new assassins creed. .

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

That Athlon II x3 it should do 3.5-3.8ghz comfortably on air cooling.
    Just up the fsb to around 240-250 or so.Back the ram speed and ht link speed off a bit and you should hit the 3.8 no bother.

Does your mobo have UCC?The core unlocker in the bios.
    If so just set everything to stable defaults and auto voltage.Turn it on and reboot.
    If it boots with 4 cores just start upping the fsb until you have it stable at 4 cores.Soon as it blue screens up the voltage or back off the fsb.The X3 should be ok up to 1.5v with the stock cooler.
    Depends on the chip of course.Mine is stable at 2.7 (stock) at 4 cores.But Ive tested and BF4 prefers clock speed.So Ill stick with 3 cores @ 3.5 until I change the cpu out.
    Cant get it stable at 4 cores at any higher than 2.7ghz.

FPS with a 6870 and 4 gb ddr3 are depending on the map @ 1680*1050 high settings 50-75 with drops to around 40 on the maps with all the foliage.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Dave if it's a 95 watt one I'll take it Off you.

It's 125W, no good?

Dave147 wrote: »
    It's 125W, no good?

Got the model number off it?
    Im limited to 95watt I think but I know there are one or two specific 125watts that will work.

Model code will tell me exactly.

Got the model number off it?
    Im limited to 95watt I think but I know there are one or two specific 125watts that will work.

Model code will tell me exactly.

Not sure where I'd get the model code, bought it on Komplett in 09, for a new build but have upgraded and it's no use to me now, where are you based?

• Advertisement

Is your PSU limiting your wattage or your mobo? I have a mobo lying around that was used with that CPU, you can have the two of them.

Model code is wrote on teh cpu itself.
    Mobo is limited to 95watt but some peeps have run a 125 watt without any issues.Psu is a 750 watt.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/N68-S3%20UCC/?cat=CPU

Im based in Maynooth but Ill pay postage if you do me a good deal.

Model code is wrote on teh cpu itself.
    Mobo is limited to 95watt but some peeps have run a 125 watt without any issues.Psu is a 750 watt.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/N68-S3%20UCC/?cat=CPU

Im based in Maynooth but Ill pay postage if you do me a good deal.

Just cover the postage and I'll send them up, got a good few years out of them so don't want any money.

Fair play mate.Pop me a pm with yer address and I'll sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭antichrist

So, only really got into playing BF3 last year and have downloaded BF4 on Wednesday. Only starting to get into PC gaming and currently saving up to get a good system.
    At the minute I'm using my laptop:

Windows 7
    Intel i7 3610QM
    8GB RAM
    AMD Radeon HD 7670M 2GB

Seems to run it well but have video settings on Auto, any suggestions on what video settings I should use?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kevin2800

new drivers from amd yesterday making the game playing amazing with my 7970 hitting 70 frames on ultra without msaa constant now

That Athlon II x3 it should do 3.5-3.8ghz comfortably on air cooling.
    Going to give this a try tonight and see what happens. Upgrading the CPU is going to wait for payday, but the prices on the X6s don't look too horrible on ebay at least and if that gets me to the point where I'm bound by the 560Ti, well feck lads, I'd be happy. I mean, how much detail do you really need? If I wanted ALL THE DETAILS, I'd join the army ;) :pac:

Going to give this a try tonight and see what happens. Upgrading the CPU is going to wait for payday, but the prices on the X6s don't look too horrible on ebay at least and if that gets me to the point where I'm bound by the 560Ti, well feck lads, I'd be happy. I mean, how much detail do you really need? If I wanted ALL THE DETAILS, I'd join the army ;) :pac:

Check your pms sparks.

Hmm. Ambitious start to overclocking and tried 4GHz right off the bat - and of course, no go, wouldn't even post. Reset CMOS, try a more reasonable 3.5GHz and everything looks stable so far under Prime95. Stuck in Hellrazer's user.cfg (along with an addition to draw the perf graph just for fun) and tried it in anger. Better, but I'm still seeing a massive CPU spike the moment someone starts to shoot at me, which results in my freezing up for a split second - usually long enough for them to ruin my whole day. Le sigh. I guess there's an X6 in my future come the next paycheque :( I mean, I don't need lots of detail in the video but if I can't even react on the lowest setting with fps locked, then it's pretty naff.

hm. Tweaked FOV down to 70 (what was it doing at 100?) and things are now so much better :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

8 or 9 crashes today, none all week.

various servers.

try a more reasonable 3.5GHz and everything looks stable so far
    And now bumped up to 3.7GHz and still looking stable so far, even thermally (holding at 45-46C with the artic fan). Might keep trying to poke it upwards, but I think the ultimate answer is a second-hand X6 1100T (or something close to it), and once that's in, that's probably the last cheap upgrade for this box done, everything else is going to require some large changes (as in, motherboard replacements or the like).

The good news is, it's very very playable now :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

hm. Tweaked FOV down to 70 (what was it doing at 100?) and things are now so much better :D

It should be at 110, anything less than 90 is for console peasants :p Just make the young fella work harder in school when the time comes, he'll need the scholarship as you need to spend the college fund on a proper pc. :pac:

SSD is now on top of my shopping list, my friend who I regularly squad with gets into game almost a full minute ahead of me whilst I'm waiting for the game to load.

TIL that having the game in "borderless" rather than fullscreen seems to have added another small amount of stability. Every little helps...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

FOV depends entirely on the size of your monitor and how far you sit from it. A locked FOV is for the console peasants. The PC master race has he superiority of choice.

Shiminay wrote: »
    It should be at 110, anything less than 90 is for console peasants :p Just make the young fella work harder in school when the time comes, he'll need the scholarship as you need to spend the college fund on a proper pc. :pac:
    Y'see, you say that now, but you forget that our other halves talk. And read here. :D

And I had fov at 100, but the box couldn't keep up. We'll see how it does with an X6 in it and if that takes the load off, I'll widen the FOV again.
    But to be honest, I prefer a 70 FOV and not freezing whenever my cpu has to render someone shooting at me to 180 FOV and going all rabbit-in-headlights whenever a gunfight happens. And so does my k/d ratio :P
    SSD is now on top of my shopping list, my friend who I regularly squad with gets into game almost a full minute ahead of me whilst I'm waiting for the game to load.
    Can't get one, have to get two and work them in RAID0 for when one fails completely without warning a year after you buy it :D
    And if you thought I need to spend dosh to beef up my rig, you haven't checked the prices on decent SSDs these days yet :D

I'm in the very fortunate position of having all my Christmas presents for people already bought, so next payday is mine and mine alone :p You're right of course, I'm looking for a 500 gig one, so that's €300 give or take :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

SSD I get 3 load screens and im in, yitsack on normal drive and gets 14 or so.

Because there is no holding time limit, I have found on Rush I can be on top of the 1st set of mcoms before a lot of the other team are even spawned in.

Plus i always get the attack boats :D

This is it, Rush is totally broken because of this (see the bitching and moaning thread for my rant about Rush). Do it like World of Tanks, there's a 30 second countdown before the round starts to let everyone load as they have a very diverse (read: ancient) set of hardware amongst their player-base. That 30 seconds would give you a chance to stick any new attachments for guns on that you unlocked in previous rounds too.

Yay, you can buy victory.
    So basicly, DICE and EA are doing their best to get you out of mommy's basement and into high-paying jobs so you can win faster?
    Yeesh. Something very broken there :D

And shim, you know the next paycheque is only ever yours until it arrives, at which point six things break simultaenously and two of them are always critical and need to be paid for right this instant :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Bought 8GB of GSkill Sniper DDR3 1600 mhz ram.
    Game is now running @ 70-140 fps on Ultra @ 1920X1200 and now totally smooth, no stuttering etc

Advertisement