Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change in Motion

Options
  • 31-10-2013 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

I'm in need of some motivation after a poor weeks training. Time to start my first training log.

Background info
    I have been running for almost 6 months. Before this I played some social rugby and was part of the front row union so long distance running was never a strong suit of mine. (Props are more dangerous over short distances)

About Me
    Large frame (Getting smaller) , 5 ft 10. Some calf issues playing rugby but thankfully have had no injury issues yet running so the change has done me some god in that respect. I train with the best partner possible, my dog Snow. (Siberian Husky)

Equipment
    Garmin FR10
    Asics Kayano 19's

Recent Results
    First Race sixmilebridge 10k: 57:03 28/05/2013
    Ennin 10K June 2013 54:20
    Run Killarney 10K July 59:30 (Heat was crazy learned loads from mistakes here)
    Warriors Run Sligo 15K August 1:37:04 (Loved this race)

Starting PB's
    5K 24:10
    Galway Bay 10k: 50:40 28/09/2013

Targets/Goals
    1st Dec Waterford Half: Just Finish (Under 2hrs would be nice)
    4th May 2014 Great Limerick Marathon: Just Finish (Under 4 would be nice, Happy with less than 4:30)
    10k Under 50min

Current PB's
    5K 23:55
    Galway Bay 10k: 50:40 28/09/2013

Thanks in advance for any advice posted here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gl0Rob

So seeing as this would be my first log entry and being full of excitement. I decided I would try best my 5k pb and with the night that was in it I wanted to be out and back quickly.

1k Warmup
    5k @ 4:46 NEW PB 23:55
    1k Warm down.

Easy run tonight. Needed to be short to make it to the cinema on time . (Saw Thor, it was epic)

5k @ 6:19

Long run today. Up at 6 and hit the road at 7. Conditions were okay. It was a bit blustery but the only sections i seemed to be exposed were on the long pavement between Parteen and Thomond park and crossing the shannon bridge.

For the first 12km I set out at 6:30 pace and keep that fairly consistent. For the remaining 11km i upped the pace a bit and was averaging 6:18.

I have been lucky enough so far that I have never been caught out in a heavy shower but today after 17km the sky opened and proceeded to flood half of Limerick. Happy coincidence it the first run I wore my new running jacket.

I was impressed at how long it kept me dry but at about 19km the jacket couldn't hold out the water any longer. To my surprise the Kayano's were still dry but it appeared the sky new this. The amount of rain that began to fall from 19km - 20km was biblical. I swam the remaining 3km home

On the plus side I found experience very refreshing. The dog seemed to be having a ball but he will never dry out. The situation was helped by the fact the body glide held out against the extra fiction.

LSR 23km @ 6:24

Time for a pint and hopefully Munster can put on a show tonight so I don't fall asleep.

wrecked

Rest day for Sunday 03/11.

Legs were felling the effects of the LSR. Head was felling the effects of the match and pub. Decided to use the day to set some goals for the month to keep me focused. 4 weeks left until the Waterford AC Half on the 1st of Dec.

Week 1 target 50km total - 25km LSR
    Week 2 target 50km total - 25km LSR
    Week 3 target 40km total - 15km LSR
    Week 4 target 15km + Race

I will be starting a strength and conditioning class for runner for the next 6 Wednesdays. So my weeks will now include 4 - 5 running sessions, one strength and 1 - 2 rest.

Ill try to incorporate intervals on Tuesdays and some kilometers at half marathon pace on a Thursday if I feel up to it. My main concern is just turning up fresh, finishing and enjoying my first half marathon.

Wet cold miserable recovery run

7km @ 6.48

• Advertisement

Stopped into the sports store today on the way home, needed to change some shorts as I bought the wrong size.

Did some semi impulse buying while there. Picked up two kinetica hydration energy gel's. Never tried gels before so was interested to see if they would be a help or hinderance. Also picked up a belt with two 300ml bottles. I can't stop on my LSR to buy water with the dog so I wanted to try bring some with me.

I decided to do about 12km today with a few quick km's in the middle. Belt felt very comfortable, but one of the bottles fell out constantly for the first km until it broke. So a bit disheartened and a bottle down I continued on. Happily enough I didn't have any other issues with the belt for the rest of the run. (Still brining it back, clearly can't support the weight of two bottles. Or at least thats my argument)

First 3km @ ~5:45

I picked up the pace here. 8km @ ~5:00

Took a gel at 6km and 9km to see how the would settle in my stomach. Two thing to report. Defiantly felt they offered a small energy lift/longevity (possibly placebo effect) and two they are dam tasty. Verdict: Will try again

Finished the last 1.5km @ ~5:30

Summary 1:07:55.4 12.59KM @ 5:24

First Strength and Conditioning class tonight. Absolutely broke after it. I have pains in muscles that I didn't know I owned. I think the trainer was a little ambitious thinking I could do three sets of 8 pull ups (Probably managed 4 good ones total). Finished of the session with a 4 minute non stop circuit of push-up, dips, squat jumps and BURPEES, these are the reason I switched from rugby for running. Probably did wonders for my lactate threshold

Very enjoyable evening though. Can't wait till next week.

7/08/2013

Very stiff & sore from the previous nights strength training. Decided a recovery run was all I could hope for. Planned 7k but the body told me cut it to 4k shortly into the run.

4k @ 7:34 (at that was a struggle)

8/08/2013

Still stiff today. Plan is to rest (maybe a 2k recovery run to get the dog out of the house) . Hopefully it will be gone by tomorrow morning for my LSR. If not, I plan for an easy run tomorrow and move my LSR to Sunday.

Felt better today. Still some stiffness but I wasn't confident to risk as long run, my groin seemed to be giving me the most trouble and I have had issues with it before. Postponed my LSR till tomorrow.

2k @ 5:45 just to get the dog out and stretch the muscles.

I have decided to do my posts in both miles and kilometres. My brain only works in kilometres but I know most here work in miles so hopefully it makes for easier reading.

Finally LSR day has arrived. Decided on a new routine this morning. Im usually rubbish for breakfast so decided to go with a Chocolate Nutri-grain breakfast bake along with a gel, glass of water and a good stretch. Was still worried about my groin muscle

Since I can't seem to carry water or stop for water with the dog I was going to try the Kinetica hydrating energy gel without water.

Plodded along for the first 5K @ 5:45 (3.1miles @ 9:15). To my horror I realised I forgot the body glide. So 5K @ 5:45 (3.1miles @ 9:15) back to the house. Body glide, water gel. Back out. Felt the pass was going a bit quick but was very conferable and just kept plodding away with it.

Took a gel at 17k without water, didn't fell I needed a drink after so that suits me fine. Went through the half marathon point in 1:58:44. Better rethink my waterford goal. Maybe 1:50:00 - 1:55:00?

Summary

25K @ 5:43 ( 15.53m @ 9:12 )

• Advertisement

Easy Run 7km @ 5.59 (4.3496m @ 9:38)

12/11/2013

Tempo Run

3k @ ~5:55 (1.86m @ 9:31)
    6k @ ~4:55 (3.7m @ 7:55)
    3.5k @ ~6:05 (2.17m @ 9:47)

Summary 12.5k @ 5.28 (7.7m @ 8:48)

Strength and conditioning class tonight, I hope I'm not as ban-jacksed as I was last week after week.

Thankfully not as wrecked as I was last week after the strength class, progress in my book. Took today off to recover though

Friday 15/11/2013

5k @ 6:32 (3.1m @ 10:31)

Saturday 16/11/2013

22k @ 6:20 (13.7m @ 10:12) Not the most enjoyable run. I was physically exhausted by 3k and the legs gave up after 22k. Had planned 26k(16.1m) for the day. Just chalk this one down as a bad day at the office and move on.

Sunday 17/11/2013

Rest

Only two weeks left till the Waterford AC Half. I will probably tapering starting midweek this week.

Monday Rest
    Tuesday Rest

Small niggles so decided to take it easy.

No real updates. Just been taking it easy. Some slow runs and a few extra rest days. Looking forward to the Waterford Half this Sunday. Plan is to go a a pace i know ill finish and enjoy the day. I will head out with the 2hr pacers and try finish strong. First Race report to follow :)

Advertisement