Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hardest 15 In Your Lifetime.

• 31-10-2013 6:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,802 ✭✭✭✭

Following on from the best 15, I thought this might be of interest.

Here's my 15 footballers.
    Hurling teams also welcome.

1. Martin Furlong.

2. Páidí O' Sé.

3. Mick Lyons.

4. Niall Cahalane.

5. Tomás O' Sé.

6. Séamus Moynihan.

7. Philip Jordan.

8.Jack O' Shea.

9. Brian Mullins.

10. Brian Dooher.

11. Séan Cavanagh.

12. Ciaran McDonald.

13. Colm O' Rourke.

14. Eoin Liston.

15. James McCarten.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Following on from the best 15, I thought this might be of interest.

Here's my 15 footballers.
    Hurling teams also welcome.

1. Martin Furlong.

2. Páidí O' Sé.

3. Mick Lyons.

4. Niall Cahalane.

5. Tomás O' Sé.

6. Séamus Moynihan.

7. Philip Jordan.

8.Jack O' Shea.

9. Brian Mullins.

10. Brian Dooher.

11. Séan Cavanagh.

12. Ciaran McDonald.

13. Colm O' Rourke.

14. Eoin Liston.

15. James McCarten.

Great shout. Mightn't have looked it but he was as tough as nails on the pitch, the punishment he took during games was insane. Gave as good as he got, strong as a horse

Sheer 100% on the pitch, heard he's an absolute animal of a worker too, would work from stupid o'clock till late in the eve not a stir on him, his work ethic transferred to the football pitch no question about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,802 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Gerry91 wrote: »
    Great shout. Mightn't have looked it but he was as tough as nails on the pitch, the punishment he took during games was insane. Gave as good as he got, strong as a horse

Sheer 100% on the pitch, heard he's an absolute animal of a worker too, would work from stupid o'clock till late in the eve not a stir on him, his work ethic transferred to the football pitch no question about it!
    Yeah, more than capable of looking after himself in a quite way;)

It was actually his performances in the International Rules a few years back that swung the call his way.

David Brady can't be far off either from a Mayo POV!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Anyone that doesn't name Frankie Dolan on this sort of team is off their rocker. His cousin Dessie wouldn't be a bad shout either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,802 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Syferus wrote: »
    Anyone that doesn't name Frankie Dolan on this sort of team is off their rocker. His cousin Dessie wouldn't be a bad shout either.
    Lol.

From what I have been told, the Roscommon outfit of the late '70s/early '80s would have eaten Frankie and his cousin Dessie without salt.

A bit before my time though so they didn't qualify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭megadodge

Gerry91 wrote: »
    David Brady can't be far off either from a Mayo POV!

Are you for real???

Two posts in a row that I cannot understand.
    I really like Frankie, I marked him 3 times at the end of my career and the start of his. Brilliant footballer, but 'hard' he ain't.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Lol.

From what I have been told, the Roscommon outfit of the late '70s/early '80s would have eaten Frankie and his cousin Dessie without salt.

A bit before my time though so they didn't qualify.

Harry Keegan being the toughest of them all. And a few years later Pat Doorey.

megadodge wrote: »
    Two posts in a row that I cannot understand.
    I really like Frankie, I marked him 3 times at the end of my career and the start of his. Brilliant footballer, but 'hard' he ain't.

He developed the reputation as a hothead (deserved in some senses, a self-fulfilling prophecy in others) and has been targeted his whole career by opposition teams who know the best way to stop Frankie isn't to try and mark him out of the game, it's to give him belts and digs and hope the referee only sees Frankie's reaction.

It takes a hell of a lot of guts to have all that on top of the usual 'treatment' talented players get but to do it and still be one of the finest club players in the country in his mid-30's, to me that's the definition of being hard. Himself and Ciaran Mac share a lot in terms of their temperaments and how they were treated out on the field.

Doing a Gormley and giving a lad an elbow in the face isn't hard in my book, it's the opposite of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Tommy morrissey- clare 1992- stil a hard man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Harry Keegan being the toughest of them all. And a few years later Pat Doorey.

Pat Lindsay,Mattie Reilly,Francie Grehan were a few more tough footballers.

He developed the reputation as a hothead (deserved in some senses, a self-fulfilling prophecy in others) and has been targeted his whole career by opposition teams who know the best way to stop Frankie isn't to try and mark him out of the game, it's to give him belts and digs and hope the referee only sees Frankie's reaction.

It takes a hell of a lot of guts to have all that on top of the usual 'treatment' talented players get but to do it and still be one of the finest club players in the country in his mid-30's, to me that's the definition of being hard. Himself and Ciaran Mac share a lot in terms of their temperaments and how they were treated out on the field.

Doing a Gormley and giving a lad an elbow in the face isn't hard in my book, it's the opposite of it.

I agree about the goading he got, (and his hot-headedness) but that doesn't make him hard.

'Hard' is about being extremely tough, both mentally and physically. I've lost count of the times Frankie has been stretched out on the ground (for real and acting), whereas I can never, ever remember Ciaran McDonald being flattened by anybody. There's no comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Eamon Breen and Liam Flaherty were the hard men of the Kerry team in mid 90s,both could mix it though.

And were important players in Paidi's young Kerry team back then.

I agree about the goading he got, (and his hot-headedness) but that doesn't make him hard.

'Hard' is about being extremely tough, both mentally and physically. I've lost count of the times Frankie has been stretched out on the ground (for real and acting), whereas I can never, ever remember Ciaran McDonald being flattened by anybody. There's no comparison.

If your criteria for being hard is a player never hamming up a foul then this team is going to have it tough finding more than zero players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

As a Meathman i am being a little biased to the Royals but that late 80s to early 90s team were teak tough. My team-
    1. Martin Furlong
    2. Paudi o se 3. Mick Lyons 4. Tony Scullion
    5. Liam Harnan 6. Kieram McGeeney 7. Henry Downey
    8. Brian Mullins 9. Gerry Mc Entee
    10. Sean Cavanagh 11. Larry Tompkins 12. Steven Mc Donnell
    13. Colm O Rourke 14. Eoin Liston 15. Michael Murphy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Greg Jacob has to be in the hurling team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Kevin kehilly Cork all star full back.

Extremely tough hard as nails,but shouldnt take away hes talent as a fullback.Held the Bomber in hes day.

When he first started out,was involved in a club game scuffle of the ball,that was tragic,it resulted in serious harm to a player.Kehilly wouldnt meant it though, the injury was a freak enough thing to happen.

Years later he went on to play in poor cork teams.

Noel o leary,niall cahalane,Dave Barry hard men but equally great players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

As a Dub even I can admit no team of hardmen would be complete without at least 3-4 Meath players.

The Rock in Hurling ,bouncing of kilkenny lads in 03 and not even out of breath.

Paul Shelly Tipp.A great hurler though.
    Was some duel,him and rock in Munster 2000 final.

Rock, at full back,Shelley at full forward.Two great players ,well able to give it and take it.

A credit to any team,both were.Even at underage,they were the same.Sully gave Cloonan plenty of it in u21 final ,in 97.

Shelley was the same in 97 munster final,off the ball scuffle out the field,while timmy maccarthy soloed in for one of the most unusal goals i have seen,to win the match by a point.

Two hard men,No Fear,but they had the hurling also.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭jack747

francie bellew or darren fay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

As a cork man, teddy mac and Niall cahalane should be in any list. That said ciarian o Sullivan was one of the hardest fellas I ever came across but as he wasn't prone to niggly and cynical play people probably wouldn't think of him.

As for the hurlers
    Damien fitzhenery
    Brian murphy
    Diarmuid sull
    Noel hicky
    Liam dunne
    Seanie McMahon
    Jerry macinnery
    Teddy McCarty
    John hoyne
    Henry shefflin
    Fergal McCormick
    Gary Kirby
    Dan sanahahan
    Geoffrey mcgonicille
    John maullane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

As a Meathman i am being a little biased to the Royals but that late 80s to early 90s team were teak tough. My team-
    1. Martin Furlong

No Martin O'Connell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Anyone else finding it nearly impossible to narrow it to 15
    Martin Rambo Gavigan
    Tony Scullion
    Mick Lyons
    Bernard Morris
    John Grimley
    Glen Ryan
    Kieran McGeeney
    Brian McGilligan
    Pat O Byrne (Wicklow)
    Mark Grimley
    Greg Blayney
    Darren Fay
    John McDermott
    Keith Barr
    Henry Downey
    James McCartan Jnr
    I could think of another 15 who were just as tough...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

The Rock in Hurling ,bouncing of kilkenny lads in 03 and not even out of breath.

Paul Shelly Tipp.A great hurler though.
    Was some duel,him and rock in Munster 2000 final.

Rock, at full back,Shelley at full forward.Two great players ,well able to give it and take it.

A credit to any team,both were.Even at underage,they were the same.Sully gave Cloonan plenty of it in u21 final ,in 97.

Shelley was the same in 97 munster final,off the ball scuffle out the field,while timmy maccarthy soloed in for one of the most unusal goals i have seen,to win the match by a point.

Two hard men,No Fear,but they had the hurling also.

Joe Canning might have a thing or two to say about that ;)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nYb8zEh1RBg&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DnYb8zEh1RBg

Arah no I'm only messing with ya The Rock was the first player I thought of when I seen this thread. That point against Limerick springs to mind, a tank in human form if I've ever seen one, an absolute steamroller!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lvdwbgCnQ2I&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DlvdwbgCnQ2I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

1. Martin Furlong

Harnan was a complete dog :D Lyons, Harnan, Mcentee and O rourke in the same team. No wonder they had a bad reputation :P

yellow50HX wrote: »
    As a cork man, teddy mac and Niall cahalane should be in any list. That said ciarian o Sullivan was one of the hardest fellas I ever came across but as he wasn't prone to niggly and cynical play people probably wouldn't think of him.

As for the hurlers
    Damien fitzhenery
    Brian murphy
    Diarmuid sull
    Noel hicky
    Liam dunne
    Seanie McMahon
    Jerry macinnery
    Teddy McCarty
    John hoyne
    Henry shefflin
    Fergal McCormick
    Gary Kirby
    Dan sanahahan
    Geoffrey mcgonicille
    John maullane

Brian murphy hard ,bar one incident ,i would doubt it.

Mccormack was a great workhorse and used hes strength well,but like Timmy mac,but wasnt a hard man.I would dissagree.

Niall mccarthy was a hard man,loved the hard stuff.Always involved in tussles.I doubt mccormack even got booked,if even,not many times.Wouldnt be the sort to throw himself around.

Pa cronin would be more so ,the last two years,got an edge to hes game.Against maher in 2012,, at throw in he made hes mark,when Naughton couldnt mind himself.

Taken several punishment over the years as corks main ballwinner up to now.

Considering he was in hospital ,with a serious illness,still managed to come on against clare,shows hes made of stern stuff.

Babs keating playing in hes barefeet probably one of the hardest of them all.

Niall mac and tommy walsh tore in to one another in a league game down the pairc.Neither took a step back.

Niall put the body on the line many a time for club and county.Mccormack no where near him in terms of toughness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

From Clare I would have to say Brian lohan and Colin lynch, two tough nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

I'd put Joe Quaid in goals in hurling. Lost a testicle for the cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Cathal Noughton.

:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Cathal Noughton.

:pac::pac::pac:

Yeah just edges Michael Cussen:-o

Seanie mcmahon didnt he play against Cork with a dislocated shoulder or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Hammar wrote: »
    Anyone else finding it nearly impossible to narrow it to 15
    Martin Rambo Gavigan
    Tony Scullion
    Mick Lyons
    Bernard Morris
    John Grimley
    Glen Ryan
    Kieran McGeeney
    Brian McGilligan
    Pat O Byrne (Wicklow)
    Mark Grimley
    Greg Blayney
    Darren Fay
    John McDermott
    Keith Barr
    Henry Downey
    James McCartan Jnr
    I could think of another 15 who were just as tough...

Morris was one tough cookie , Gerry mc carville has to be worth a mention tough nut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Yep these two. Frank Cummings ! Dan the man gave up when the going got tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Seanie mcmahon didnt he play against Cork with a dislocated shoulder or something.

Forgot seanie so I did!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

I would definitely be including Ryan O Dwyer in any team, the lad is as tough as nails and has had to come off a blood sub a heap of times from getting stuck in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

Eamonn Breen, Henry Downey, Niall Cahalane and 12 Meath lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Hardest 15 I've ever seen in the flesh - positions don't count for this one :).

1. Mick Lyons (Meath -beast of a man)
    2. Eamonn Heery (Dublin - scary)
    3. Bernard Morris (Cavan - tough as nails)
    4. Pat Faulkner (Cavan - butcher by trade - enough said)
    5. Nudie Hughes (Monaghan - himself and Faulkner had some epic battles both at club and county level)
    6. Liam Harnon (Meath)
    7. Paidí O Sé (Kerry)
    8. Tony Scullion (Derry)
    9. SM Lockhart (Derry)
    10. Kieran McGeeny (Armagh)
    11. Francie Bellew (Armagh)
    12. Glenn Ryan (Kildare)
    13. Brian Mullins (Dublin)
    14. Tim Kennelly (Kerry)
    15. Niall Cahalane (Cork)

Wouldn't like to be on the opposing team :)

Riiight.

So to be "hard" you can't have been floored in a game?

As for never seeing mac being flattened, diarmuid Blake says hi!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Dickys Back Garden

Mightn't be the most stylish but this gang wouldn't lie down! McGrath, Cooney and Shefflin could give and take it as well as show sublime skill. Apologies to Cork, Offaly, Laois, Dublin and Antrim lads but couldn't squeeze ye in! Will prob come up with a team to outbattle this lot with a bit more thought!

1. Damien Fitzhenry Wexford
    2. Sylvie Linnane Galway
    3. Leonard Enright Limerick
    4. Fan Larkin Kilkenny
    5. Liam Dunne Wexford
    6. Pat McGrath Waterford
    7. JJ Delaney Kilkenny
    8. Colin Lynch Clare
    9. Frank Cummins Kilkenny
    10. Ken McGrath Waterford
    11. John Power Kilkenny
    12. Donie O' Connell Tipperary
    13. Joe Cooney Galway
    14. Brendan Lynskey Galway
    15. Henry Shefflin Kilkenny

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Ah lads lads, no Mike Houlihan on any of these teams? Ye know nothing about tough men :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Ah lads lads, no Mike Houlihan on any of these teams? Ye know nothing about tough men :pac:

Mike was too tough for this thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Frank Cummins was known as the tank. Nothing could stop him. He'd be the first person on any hurling list by a country mile.

From KK in my lifetime I'd add Dick O'Hara - he looked as wild and as hard as nails, Fan Larkin, Pat O'Neill, and John Power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

DD Mikasa wrote: »
    Eamonn Breen, Henry Downey, Niall Cahalane and 12 Meath lads

Breen take some beating as the hardest!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

Brian murphy hard ,bar one incident ,i would doubt it.

Mccormack was a great workhorse and used hes strength well,but like Timmy mac,but wasnt a hard man.I would dissagree.

Niall mccarthy was a hard man,loved the hard stuff.Always involved in tussles.I doubt mccormack even got booked,if even,not many times.Wouldnt be the sort to throw himself around.

Pa cronin would be more so ,the last two years,got an edge to hes game.Against maher in 2012,, at throw in he made hes mark,when Naughton couldnt mind himself.

Taken several punishment over the years as corks main ballwinner up to now.

Considering he was in hospital ,with a serious illness,still managed to come on against clare,shows hes made of stern stuff.

Babs keating playing in hes barefeet probably one of the hardest of them all.

Niall mac and tommy walsh tore in to one another in a league game down the pairc.Neither took a step back.

Niall put the body on the line many a time for club and county.Mccormack no where near him in terms of toughness.

Brian Murphy is a seriously tough fella, he was fairly dirty too in his younger years. Marked him once a few years ago I was black and blue by half time.

I think your being a bit harsh on fergal, he was very like Niall Mac, in that he did huge amount of donkey work. In fact he is probably the only player that cork have never properly replaced. He was the only cork forward to consistently win high ball over the last 15 years. For a long time he was a one man ball winner and took serious punishment in the process the amount of Hurleys that wre broke across him. Pa Cronin for all his height and strength doesn't win enough ball , tommy Walsh has wiped him out on puck outs a few times. It's one the biggest failings of cork teams in recent years as it is only Seamus harnidy can do it consistently of the current squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Hardest 15 I've ever seen in the flesh - positions don't count for this one :).

1. Mick Lyons (Meath -beast of a man)
    2. Eamonn Heery (Dublin - scary)
    3. Bernard Morris (Cavan - tough as nails)
    4. Pat Faulkner (Cavan - butcher by trade - enough said)
    5. Nudie Hughes (Monaghan - himself and Faulkner had some epic battles both at club and county level)
    6. Liam Harnon (Meath)
    7. Paidí O Sé (Kerry)
    8. Tony Scullion (Derry)
    9. SM Lockhart (Derry)
    10. Kieran McGeeny (Armagh)
    11. Francie Bellew (Armagh)
    12. Glenn Ryan (Kildare)
    13. Brian Mullins (Dublin)
    14. Tim Kennelly (Kerry)
    15. Niall Cahalane (Cork)

Wouldn't like to be on the opposing team :)

I would, they'd be lucky if they scored more than 3 or 4 points.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Carpet diem

A few come to mind with mix of hurling and football.

Sylvie lennane (Galway)- easily top of my list
    Pete Finnerty (Galway)
    Mc Mennamon (Tyrone)
    Kieran Mc Geeney (Armagh)
    Tomas Mannion (Galway)
    John Leahy (Tipp)
    Liam Mc Hale (Mayo)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

A few come to mind with mix of hurling and football.

Sylvie lennane (Galway)- easily top of my list
    Pete Finnerty (Galway)
    Mc Mennamon (Tyrone)
    Kieran Mc Geeney (Armagh)
    Tomas Mannion (Galway)
    John Leahy (Tipp)
    Liam Mc Hale (Mayo)

I was waiting for someone to say Tomas Mannion, didn't bother myself as I'm from Galway and it'd come across as biased as he wasn't the most high profiled player. But one thing is for sure he was a rock in that '98 team and an absolute tank of a man!

The job he did on a certain Kildare corner forward who was supposed to run him around Croker was admirable. A farmer by trade and he got a lot of stick that day for being one from Kildare fans in The Hill, harmless banter but it didn't bother Tomasheen one bit :D

A few comments in here are a credit to the player he was, particularly about the challenge game down in Portlaoise.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Cavan/MessagePage.aspx?TopicID=1949

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Redser O'Grady

yellow50HX wrote: »
    Brian Murphy is a seriously tough fella, he was fairly dirty too in his younger years. Marked him once a few years ago I was black and blue by half time.

I think your being a bit harsh on fergal, he was very like Niall Mac, in that he did huge amount of donkey work. In fact he is probably the only player that cork have never properly replaced. He was the only cork forward to consistently win high ball over the last 15 years. For a long time he was a one man ball winner and took serious punishment in the process the amount of Hurleys that wre broke across him. Pa Cronin for all his height and strength doesn't win enough ball , tommy Walsh has wiped him out on puck outs a few times. It's one the biggest failings of cork teams in recent years as it is only Seamus harnidy can do it consistently of the current squad.

Im a huge fan of mcormack, cork would not won 99 without him.Hes workrate,shown by hes desire hunger to win a ball that was destined for the sideline ,then hit it in,that made deanes vital goal against clare.

He won cork all ireland, won a vital ball to gain a free that Ben popped over to win in 99 for cork.

No where in my post have i questioned mccormack ,cause to cork.I have paid him tribute many time on the cork thread.

What i dissagree is you saying he was a hard man.No way.Tough,but a hard man,that made hes mark,let guys knew he was their,No he did not.

I saw fergal enough times with Avdondu,Mallow,and cork and he was never hard.When he was with the Academy in Mallow he was soft enough,then Ring got him at St colmans and he really came on.He got strong etc.

It depends on what you define Hard.

He was nothing like Niall Mac.Niall won more ball than mccormack ever did.

Niall looked for fights,hit everything that moved,and if it didnt he made it move.

Mccormack took punishment,he was tough,but he never gave it.I dnt think he if ever got booked much.

Mccormack outside of Cococran was cork most vital player,as he made the forwards tick.

He was central to that team.

But he was no where near mccarthy.Mccarthy was a different level.He won an all star,Fergal didnt.

Niall won oceans of high ball ,and held hes own against ken Mcgrath.

Niall Mac has something like 4-41 for cork ,mccormack wasnt a scorer.

Not hes fault,he was a converted wing back,where he made hes debut,then midfielder ,then a cf.

Niall was erratic on hes day but he still was better scorer.The only time i saw fergal score,was three from play above in wexford in a league game,and a flukey goal against waterford in the league in pairc rinn.

Macarthy got a great goal against tipp in killarney in o4 and also against Antrim in 2010 in a q final.

He played excellenty in two finals in a row in 03 and 04 man of the match.

The only thing that let him down in 03 was hes shooting.But he won loads of ball.

And in 06 ,he made the brillant run ,to set Ben up for the goal.

Mccormack was pivotal to cork in 99,as you said the only ball winner.No way did he dominate puckouts then or in 2000.I suggest you watch those games again.

What he did was limit ,and break even with,mcmahon and david kennedy etc,and more of the ball work,dragging centre back out of hes aera ,than actually win ball after ball.

Mccarthy was a way better forager on the breakdown that mccormack.

To say mccormack hasnt been replaced is incorrect,and doesnt do an all star winner in maccarthy justice.

I dnt know what you mean to say cronin doesnt win enough ball.The only ball winner for cork ,with three men hanging of him most days,he has been superb.Again unlike mccormack he scores,goals as well ,rememeber the replayed all ireland final.

He was so good at winnig ball,he was at midfield ,and full forward for cork.

Fair point bout cronin and walsh,but can you name many that got the better of tommy walsh.Mccormack did not face him,but i guarantee you he would not fare much better than what Cronin fared.

He has been sent him,and gave it to maher in 2012.
    Mccormack a fine servant, vital to 99 team, JBM said cork wouldnt won without him, owes cork nothing,but not at mccarthys or cronin level in terms of hardness or ball winning,not even close.

Fair point about murphy though, but i wouldnt put him in the rocks league of hardness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Martin Gavigan, Anthony Molloy and
    Kevin Cassidy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement