Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hit the wall

Options
  • 31-10-2013 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

Was reversing into the yard today and gave the wall the lightest litte tip, there is now a fine crack running down the wall, everyone is telling me to tell the landlord it wasn't me but that feels dishonest, but then again I really don't have the money to rebuild the wall. What should I do?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Tell the landlord,they will be insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,832 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Moonbeam wrote: »

I wouldn't claim on buildings insurance for damage caused by a car (particularly not my own!); I'd claim on the car's insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Moonbeam wrote: »

They would want to claim off the OPs car insurance, no?

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Was reversing into the yard today and gave the wall the lightest litte tip, there is now a fine crack running down the wall, everyone is telling me to tell the landlord it wasn't me but that feels dishonest, but then again I really don't have the money to rebuild the wall. What should I do?

Which wall did you hit? A garden wall or the wall of the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

djimi wrote: »
    Which wall did you hit? A garden wall or the wall of the house?

Garden wall.

• Advertisement

Does anyone have any advice here, I'm leaning on the side of asking him can I pay back the price of it monthly and throw something extra on top of the rent, I really would prefer not to claim off my car insurance, everyone is going to say I'm a fool and that I should just tell him someone else did it but that doesn't feel right to me, I wouldn't like it done to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Go with your gut. If there is no big damage he might even leave it be. Honesty is the best policy.

How much damage are we talking? Is the thing demolished or is it just a minor crack?

If its bothering you so much then tell him and take it from there. I very much doubt that he will make a big issue about it unless the wall is lying in a pile of rubble in the garden...

djimi wrote: »
    How much damage are we talking? Is the thing demolished or is it just a minor crack?

If its bothering you so much then tell him and take it from there. I very much doubt that he will make a big issue about it unless the wall is lying in a pile of rubble in the garden...

Jesus it's not knocked but I rang my fathter straight away and he scared me by saying the landlord could ask for the entire wall to be rebuilt. Here's the best pic I could get of the damage. It's the same on the other side.

3E22BBDE-CB64-4EEE-BE1F-A1E5E381D5C3-469-0000018CE129E117_zps99544bb1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Does anyone have any advice here, I'm leaning on the side of asking him can I pay back the price of it monthly and throw something extra on top of the rent, I really would prefer not to claim off my car insurance, everyone is going to say I'm a fool and that I should just tell him someone else did it but that doesn't feel right to me, I wouldn't like it done to me.

That's a few hundred euro's worth of damage all right. I think the LL would be entitled to claim from your car insurance.

What's the damage to your own car and why do you not want to claim from your insurance? Surely it'd be cheaper than paying the LL off and trying to fix your car from your own pocket if you need to. That's what the insurance is for. If you lose or step back your NCD, then so be it.

It's far better to tell the LL and put it through official channels rather than trying to pay for everything and opening yourself up to more problems. After all - you didn't do it on purpose.

• Advertisement

That's a few hundred euro's worth of damage all right. I think the LL would be entitled to claim from your car insurance.

What's the damage to your own car and why do you not want to claim from your insurance? Surely it'd be cheaper than paying the LL off and trying to fix your car from your own pocket if you need to. That's what the insurance is for. If you lose or step back your NCD, then so be it.

It's far better to tell the LL and put it through official channels rather than trying to pay for everything and opening yourself up to more problems. After all - you didn't do it on purpose.

I have left a message for the landlord asking him to ring me when he gets a chance. The damage to my own car is a tiny, barely noticeable dent, I honestly only tipped it. I don't want to loose my no clams as I really would prefer not to be paying out the nose for insurance next year, I am a young driver and only managed to get my insurance down over the last couple of years and can't afford for it to go back to where it was. I think with my policy it's just stepped back, I don't know what that entails, I don't know if that means I loose all my no claims or what, I will ring them tomorrow and find out.

I have left a message for the landlord asking him to ring me when he gets a chance. The damage to my own car is a tiny, barely noticeable dent, I honestly only tipped it. I don't want to loose my no clams as I really would prefer not to be paying out the nose for insurance next year, I am a young driver and only managed to get my insurance down over the last couple of years and can't afford for it to go back to where it was. I think with my policy it's just stepped back, I don't know what that entails, I don't know if that means I loose all my no claims or what, I will ring them tomorrow and find out.

You normally get full NCB after four years. I don't know how much NCB you've earned, but to give an example:

If you've two years NCB, then on renewal, it's stepped back to 1 year. If you only have a year, then it goes back to 0 discount.

If the LL starts cutting up rough, and insisting the wall be re-built then believe me, it'll cost you a lot more than the excess you'll have to pay if he claims.

Be sensible. If the LL wants the damage fixed and won't go through his buildings insurance (why should he?) then put it through yours. It'll be cheaper and less headache for you.

I also wanted to say. If the crack's gone through the entire wall unless it was really badly built then I'd say you did a lot more than tip the car. Is there any damage underneath the car? Has anyone checked it??

You normally get full NCB after four years. I don't know how much NCB you've earned, but to give an example:

If you've two years NCB, then on renewal, it's stepped back to 1 year. If you only have a year, then it goes back to 0 discount.

If the LL starts cutting up rough, and insisting the wall be re-built then believe me, it'll cost you a lot more than the excess you'll have to pay if he claims.

Be sensible. If the LL wants the damage fixed and won't go through his buildings insurance (why should he?) then put it through yours. It'll be cheaper and less headache for you.

I have absolutely no problem paying for the damage, it's my fault, everyone has been telling me to say it wasn't me but I would like it of someone did that to me, he is a decent LL, I have been a decent tennant and I intend to keep it that way. I have nearly 4 years no claims so if its only stepped back to 3 then that is fine by me, i just dont want to loose all my no claims. When I speak to the LL I will absolutely give him the option to claim from my insurance to fix the damage.

I also wanted to say. If the crack's gone through the entire wall unless it was really badly built then I'd say you did a lot more than tip the car. Is there any damage underneath the car? Has anyone checked it??

Honestly it was a tip, I hit the corner of the capping on the pier, so the dent is high up on the car, no possible way their was damage done to the underneath of the car. TBH it is one of those estates that was thrown up in the boom. My father said the very same thing to me, I honestly don't know how that little a tip did that much damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

To be fair it may not be as big a deal as you are imagining. You seem to adamant that you are going to fess up to the landlord and fair play to you for that, I admire your honesty.

I'm sure if the Landlord is decent and you have being a good tenant he will get a quote or 2 and give you the option of going through your motor insurance or paying him back over 6 months or some arrangement like that.

It may not be as costly as you might imagine. Plenty of tradesmen out there eager to get them kind of jobs. Be careful about going through your motor insurance, especially if you are a young driver. Even if your NCB is protected you may end up married to the same insurance company for the next few years if a claim is put in. Protected means its protected just with that company. May end up costing more in the long run if you go through the motor insurance...

Accidents happen, it could have being worse. No one was hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Be honest, dont expect the landlord to pay from their insurance, but dont even suggest claiming off your insurance.

It wont cost that much to fix and its not worth screwing with your insurance, just price around and get a few quotes on getting it sorted so you do the leg work,

From the picture, is this the opposite to the side you hit, cant understand how you hit it there?

I dont think so, even still it would be cheaper for the OP to pay out of their pocket than go near their car insurance.

Honestly it was a tip, I hit the corner of the capping on the pier, so the dent is high up on the car, no possible way their was damage done to the underneath of the car. TBH it is one of those estates that was thrown up in the boom. My father said the very same thing to me, I honestly don't know how that little a tip did that much damage.

This isnt pyrites, you hit the wall, probably not hard but if the car kept pushing up against it its going to give, its not the wall to a castle, what is it? looks like a single row of solid blocks, cant tell from the image.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

If that was my wall I wouldn't care, a bit of paint and nobody would even notice it

• Advertisement

To be fair it may not be as big a deal as you are imagining. You seem to adamant that you are going to fess up to the landlord and fair play to you for that, I admire your honesty.

I'm sure if the Landlord is decent and you have being a good tenant he will get a quote or 2 and give you the option of going through your motor insurance or paying him back over 6 months or some arrangement like that.

It may not be as costly as you might imagine. Plenty of tradesmen out there eager to get them kind of jobs. Be careful about going through your motor insurance, especially if you are a young driver. Even if your NCB is protected you may end up married to the same insurance company for the next few years if a claim is put in. Protected means its protected just with that company. May end up costing more in the long run if you go through the motor insurance...

Accidents happen, it could have being worse. No one was hurt.

Thanks it's nice to hear something like this, it was a complete and utter accident, I'll know more when I talk to him I suppose, I'm sure we'll be able to work something out, I have a tendency to panic about this sort of thing, there is a handy man who comes to the house to do odd jobs so I'd imagine he will be sent down to have a look and decide what the best course of action is.
    cerastes wrote: »
    Be honest, dont expect the landlord to pay from their insurance, but dont even suggest claiming off your insurance.

It wont cost that much to fix and its not worth screwing with your insurance, just price around and get a few quotes on getting it sorted so you do the leg work,

From the picture, is this the opposite to the side you hit, cant understand how you hit it there?

It's hard to explain, was all lined up to back into the drive, something caught my attention for a split second and I must have turned the wheel when I looked, hit the pier cap, it somehow much have levered the wall and it cracked, I don't really understand it myself, nor do I understand how such a tiny tip would do hat much damage, especially considering the size of the dent on the car, I can't get over it. Just bad luck I guess, my own fault for not paying proper attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Hang on a minute before you throw yourself in front of the bus. From the (awful) photo, there appears to have been remedial work on that section of wall already. Your tip may have exacerbated a previous tenant's issue that wasn't sufficiently corrected. Tread carefully before you end up paying for work that may already have been paid for and not carried out. That could even be why your housemates are staunchly defending you.

Thanks it's nice to hear something like this, it was a complete and utter accident, I'll know more when I talk to him I suppose, I'm sure we'll be able to work something out, I have a tendency to panic about this sort of thing, there is a handy man who comes to the house to do odd jobs so I'd imagine he will be sent down to have a look and decide what the best course of action is.

It's hard to explain, was all lined up to back into the drive, something caught my attention for a split second and I must have turned the wheel when I looked, hit the pier cap, it somehow much have levered the wall and it cracked, I don't really understand it myself, nor do I understand how such a tiny tip would do hat much damage, especially considering the size of the dent on the car, I can't get over it. Just bad luck I guess, my own fault for not paying proper attention.

Be careful reversing, lucky there wasnt someone walk between you and the wall.

You may have hit the pillar but I cant see how you hit the pier cap?, where did it make contact with your car?, have you got a picture of the damage to your car and the other side of the wall. I think if you hit the capping, it would have done some noticeable damage to your car.
    Dubl07 wrote: »
    Hang on a minute before you throw yourself in front of the bus. From the (awful) photo, there appears to have been remedial work on that section of wall already. Your tip may have exacerbated a previous tenant's issue that wasn't sufficiently corrected. Tread carefully before you end up paying for work that may already have been paid for and not carried out. That could even be why your housemates are staunchly defending you.

It is a bad photo, but I cant see anything that looks like a repair of previous damage, the OP openly admitted and it looks like they hit the pillar and damaged the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

The wall appears to have been rendered and painted; yet of fairly recent construction. That jangles. Perhaps all the dividing walls in the estate are similar. If not, I'd wonder.

Be careful reversing, lucky there wasnt someone walk between you and the wall.

You may have hit the pillar but I cant see how you hit the pier cap?, where did it make contact with your car?, have you got a picture of the damage to your car and the other side of the wall. I think if you hit the capping, it would have done some noticeable damage to your car.

Exactly, I am usually very careful, literally one spilt second and this is what happened. Don't have a pic of the car, pretty sure it was the cap that I hit as the dent is quite high up on the car. Looks like I hit the corner of it by the look of the dent.

It is a bad photo, but I cant see anything that looks like a repair of previous damage, the OP openly admitted and it looks like they hit the pillar and damaged the wall.

I know, I am usually so careful, I suppose to just one of those things, human error. I'm pretty sure it was the cap I hit, don't have a pic of the car and I'm in bed now so won't be getting one, by the looks of the dent it looks like I hit the corner of it of the capping.

I agree, sorry about the bad photo.

Dubl07 wrote: »
    The wall appears to have been rendered and painted; yet of fairly recent construction. That jangles. Perhaps all the dividing walls in the estate are similar. If not, I'd wonder.

Plenty of examples of walls that are rendered and no one else near paid the xtra to get that done, you dont pay to render a damaged wall to hide damage, it would show through before now,
    I know, I am usually so careful, I suppose to just one of those things, human error. I'm pretty sure it was the cap I hit, don't have a pic of the car and I'm in bed now so won't be getting one, by the looks of the dent it looks like I hit the corner of it of the capping.

I agree, sorry about the bad photo.

I scrapped a capping, going slowly and the damage was a deep scratch,
    I think if you hit the capping you were probably lined up for the whole section of wall that got cracked and may have pushed the pillar with your bumper too, if only the capping Id have expected visible damage to the car.
    Any more images?

Plenty of examples of walls that are rendered and no one else near paid the xtra to get that done, you dont pay to render a damaged wall to hide damage, it would show through before now,

I scrapped a capping, going slowly and the damage was a deep scratch,
    I think if you hit the capping you were probably lined up for the whole section of wall that got cracked and may have pushed the pillar with your bumper too, if only the capping Id have expected visible damage to the car.
    Any more images?

No more images for the moment, I will get better pics in the daylight tomorrow. there is a small dent on the car nothing major, or really noticeable for that matter. TBH you could be completely right. I should have either stopped the car when I got distracted or else not gotten distracted, 20/20 hindsight and all that I suppose. I that I turned the wheel where I was looking, split second mistake that's going to cost me a few bob.

It happens. Don't worry about it. I'm sure it'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,832 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tails142 wrote: »
    If that was my wall I wouldn't care, a bit of paint and nobody would even notice it

Its a bit worse than a bit of paint, the pillar and some blocks have clearly separated. Its also likely not horrendous to fix but its not a job for a tub of Weathershield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Tails142 wrote: »

Me too.

Advertisement