Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GSXR K4 - Need Help

• 31-10-2013 9:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭

Howdy lads and lassies,

Need a favour from a fellow biker that owns a GSXR K4, i am having major issues with my battery charging. We have chmaged the generator as it was dead as a dodo and in turn nearly cooked the regulator. Replaced the regulator with a "universal" part,so a non factory part.

Anyway looking for some kind soul to pop over so i can check if the fault is the "universal" regulator i have bought by connecting it to the donor bike and see if it charges the battery. Have exhausted all avenues at this stage and before i fork out for a factory part i want to make sure that it is the regulator that is the problem.

Thanks in advance:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Would be safer to connect the known good regulator to your bike and see if it charges then. I wouldn't connect a potentially dodgy electrical part to my bike just to see if it works, it might damage something else. (I don't have a GSXR anyway)

Never heard of a generator blowing a rec/reg, a generator failing is usually a broken winding so it gives too little charge or none at all.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Why the need to replace the generator ???
    They dont give trouble unless the bike had a fall.
    The usual fault is the reg/rec.
    Are all the connections good ??

Get a multimeter and check before you go any further.
    Ring/PM Leppla, and he can advise on readings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Like Lookbehindyou mentioned, Get a multimeter and get the volts readings at 1,2,3,4,5,6 thousand rpm. I think on most bikes a reading of 13.3v or over is good for charging. I had a problem recently on my cb400. Basically when I hit 5000 rpm or above the battery would not charge. A new regulator/rectifier sorted the problem for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah faulty rec/regs are more common, but generators do sometimes go.
    Guy I know had to get a new stator for a Bandit last year, bike hadn't been dropped either.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Are all the connections good ??

Get a multimeter and check before you go any further.
    Ring/PM Leppla, and he can advise on readings.

Generator was done it was getting extremly hot when running, more so than usual. Opened it up and could see it was done for, so it has been replaced.

Have tried a non factory reg/rec and no joy for charging battery, have used multimeter etc and know the values i should be getting. The output from the generator is what it's suppose to be so only issue now is the reg/rec or problem somewhere in wiring loom, really hope its not the loom:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement