Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop - Falling Apart

Options
  • 31-10-2013 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭

Hey,

So I bought this laptop back in 2012 ... 10/10/12 to be precise.. In June just before I was due to hand in an assignment it broke... I was raging, went to Argos tried getting a replacement as I had exams coming up they would do nothing...

Anyways after it all I decided to send it back to Acer... I had noticed screws where missing from the laptop one day as I saw a screw just sitting on my desk so I was like where did that come from... Then I check the back of my laptop and screws are missing ... When I sent the laptop back for repair in June this year I stated on a note for them to replace the missing screws... I still have the note as they sent it back with a reply but never actually replied about the screws...

So got the laptop back from repair... I was like ok I guess I can cope with some missing screws... I noticed at the start of this month rumbling inside the computer but that went away after a day so all was good... Then just the other day another screw must have came out and the faceplate of the laptop lifted...

So I rang them up today stated what had happened.. They where going to charge me 55euro or something so I just was like no way... I asked why I didn't have warranty as it was sent for repair back in june and he didn't fully reply to the question... He just started saying that it is not under warranty so it would have to go for a charged repair...

Anyways just wondering am I not entitled to an extended warranty after the product I bought became faulty and already had been sent for repair?

Heres 2 pictures of the laptop now... The one shows the missing screws with a red circle... I am not going to pay 55euro just for them to put in some screws and put the laptop back together properly...

Anyone know what I can do now? Should my warranty of been extended after the repair?... I have all the receipts etc...

The laptop is an Acer Aspire V3-531 ... If anyone knows where I can get screws for it either it would greatly be appreciated... I think they could have came loose due to overheating issue or something maybe... I never once took apart the laptop also, so please don't accuse me of doing that..

qbwc.jpg

lgqj.jpg

Thanks,

John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just a starter question and it relates to the missing screws.

Apart from school assignments, do you do much gaming on this machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Just a starter question and it relates to the missing screws.

Apart from school assignments, do you do much gaming on this machine?

Yes :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Yes :P

That's why the screws fell out. Saw it loads of times. Not the manufacturer's responsibility. Screws falling out are usually due to harsh treatment.

That's why the screws fell out. Saw it loads of times. Not the manufacturer's responsibility. Screws falling out are usually due to harsh treatment.

But if I was covered by warranty they would fix it... But now because the warranty is over they won't, even though it was only sent back in June

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

That is actually incorrect. The laptop is not fit for it's purpose as it is falling apart, this is most definitely the manufacturers problem and they should fix it free of charge. But the retail store from which you purchased it is the place you have to bring it to because the contract is with the OP and the seller/retail-store it was purchased from, and they will send it back to the manufacturer for repair. It does not matter whether the OP has played games on it, it should be repaired, and if a repair is not forth-coming, then a replacement laptop will be the order.

All electronic appliances must be fit for purpose, and if they are not as in this case then the person has full rights regarding Irish consumer law for a repair firstly. If they will not repair it free of charge, then a replacement laptop of the same spec must be forwarded. It does not matter if the laptop is out of it's one year warranty, it matters regarding Irish consumer law regarding electronic appliances being fit for purpose...as below...

• The shop says use your guarantee, but the guarantee has expired. It doesn’t matter; your legal rights still exist, so ask the shop to honour them. This is a typical occurrence when it comes to electrical products and white goods.
    • The shop says use your guarantee, but the manufacturer wants to charge a call-out fee under the guarantee’s terms. Go back to the retailer and say that you want them to provide a remedy under your consumer entitlements.

The OP should read his/her consumer rights and bring the faulty laptop back to the retail store of which it was purchased from, demanding a repair, as this is his/her right as a consumer regardless of the one year warranty.

Argos are breaking Irish consumer law clearly by not upholding their contract with you as a consumer, demand they respect your rights as a consumer or you will take it to the small claims court, and you will easily win the case.

• Advertisement

zenno wrote: »
    That is actually incorrect. The laptop is not fit for it's purpose as it is falling apart, this is most definitely the manufacturers problem and they should fix it free of charge. But the retail store from which you purchased it is the place you have to bring it to because the contract is with the OP and the seller/retail-store it was purchased from, and they will send it back to the manufacturer for repair. It does not matter whether the OP has played games on it, it should be repaired, and if a repair is not forth-coming, then a replacement laptop will be the order.

All electronic appliances must be fit for purpose, and if they are not as in this case then the person has full rights regarding Irish consumer law for a repair firstly. If they will not repair it free of charge, then a replacement laptop of the same spec must be forwarded. It does not matter if the laptop is out of it's one year warranty, it matters regarding Irish consumer law regarding electronic appliances being fit for purpose...as below...

• The shop says use your guarantee, but the guarantee has expired. It doesn’t matter; your legal rights still exist, so ask the shop to honour them. This is a typical occurrence when it comes to electrical products and white goods.
    • The shop says use your guarantee, but the manufacturer wants to charge a call-out fee under the guarantee’s terms. Go back to the retailer and say that you want them to provide a remedy under your consumer entitlements.

The OP should read his/her consumer rights and bring the faulty laptop back to the retail store of which it was purchased from, demanding a repair, as this is his/her right as a consumer regardless of the one year warranty.

Cheers for that, might wait till after the weekend then go into the store... Was thinking I had right to a repair after the years warranty anyways... Will listen to any more answers also until then

Cheers for that, might wait till after the weekend then go into the store... Was thinking I had right to a repair after the years warranty anyways... Will listen to any more answers also until then

I would advise you to deal with this asap and don't leave it too long as this could go against you. Take this matter directly to Argos managment or supervisor and explain to them that your rights come first as they should already know. Best of luck.

Citizens Advice... http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html

Don't let them fob you off, your rights are paramount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

You're probably going to need to take this to the Small Claims Court. The registrar will decide if he thinks it's a fault or harsh treatment. Best case scenario is that Argos decide it's too much hassle to turn up.

I can't see a store taking that back in that condition.

Always deal with the store directly and not the manufacturer. The manufacturer can insist the warranty is four days long as long as you wear purple, and two days long if you wear any other colour if they like (okay I'm being flippant but they can limit a warranty to a year). Your rights are under the contract you have with the seller.

I would advise you to deal with this asap and don't leave it too long as this could go against you. Take this matter directly to Argos managment or supervisor and explain to them that your rights come first as they should already know. Best of luck.

Citizens Advice... http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html

Don't let them fob you off, your rights are paramount.

Probably best to let my dad deal with them... Don't think I would go well saying all that ha :P ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

You'll get those screws in maplin, they're called M2 screws (or something like that)

Unfortunately, this is generally a sign of user generated stress/strain on a laptop, ideally a laptop (or strictly speaking; a notebook) needs to be used on a solid/stable flat surface. People tend to use their laptops on their laps and in bed and so on! Overdoing this can lead to this problem!

• Advertisement

Probably best to let my dad deal with them... Don't think I would go well saying all that ha :P ...

No problem, if you don't feel comfortable dealing with them, then i'm sure your father can easily sort this out. Just the mention of the small claims court can be enough to get them to hop to attention and resolve the matter professionally. It usually never goes that far because of the hassle involved for them.

Just remember that the Irish consumer law Act was created for you and other consumers benefit, so it's imperative that people 'use it' when dealing with non compliant sources in retail or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,083 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Your average SCC registrar, from what I've seen on here, hasn't got a fecking clue about computers and will award you a pro-rata % of the value based on a notional 6 or so year life if you take a case even if you're completely in the wrong. So until they cop on, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,083 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Your average SCC registrar, from what I've seen on here, hasn't got a fecking clue about computers and will award you a pro-rata % of the value based on a notional 6 or so year life if you take a case even if you're completely in the wrong. So until they cop on, go for it.

But screws falling out is generally a sign of unsuitable use and/or extreme heat. And 90% of overheating issues are due to not being cleaned.

You'll get those screws in maplin, they're called M2 screws (or something like that)

Unfortunately, this is generally a sign of user generated stress/strain on a laptop, ideally a laptop (or strictly speaking; a notebook) needs to be used on a solid/stable flat surface.

Why should he purchase new screws ? you have to be careful if doing this as well, because if the screws are not all M2 size then you could have a problem with cracking a motherboard circuit or the screw puncturing some other component. The screws could be individually sized as well and not all M2 sized.

The laptop should be freely repaired simple as that, screws should never fall out of the chassis of any electrical system. He is well within his rights for a full repair according to Irish consumer law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

Why should he purchase new screws ? you have to be careful if doing this as well, because if the screws are not all M2 size then you could have a problem with cracking a motherboard circuit or the screw puncturing some other component. The screws could be individually sized as well and not all M2 sized.

The laptop should be freely repaired simple as that, screws should never fall out of the chassis of any electrical system. He is well within his rights for a full repair according to Irish consumer law.

Relax, he asked in the original post if anyone knew where he could get screws for it, and I answered his question.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The OP is only entitled to protection under Consumer Law if the product is not fit for purpose. "Excessive" wear and tear or mistreatment of the laptop will not be covered. The question to be decided here is if the laptop was used within "normal" parameters

Relax, he asked in the original post if anyone knew where he could get screws for it, and I answered his question.

I'm perfectly relaxed, I was just saying to be careful incase some screws are of different length or width of which could cause a problem that's all. :)

dudara wrote: »
    The OP is only entitled to protection under Consumer Law if the product is not fit for purpose. "Excessive" wear and tear or mistreatment of the laptop will not be covered. The question to be decided here is if the laptop was used within "normal" parameters

In all honesty though, screws falling out of the laptop all the time if 'heat- caused' is a manufacturing fault. Over-heating could cause the screws to become loose of course, and if this is the case, then again it is a manufacturing fault that should be addressed by retail to manufacturer.

Also, if a few screws dropped out on their own over time then this could easily cause other internal circuit-boards to come loose and possibly tip off other components to cause a short circuit or worse a fire. Those screws are supposed to be stable to connecting boards inside as to keep them aligned in correct order. Imagine a small circuit-board screw coming loose from it's holding and the circuit-board moves around inside from normal day to day movement and eventually connects with a power circuit ? well, this is enough for complaint and a free repair regardless of warranty. One more thing, in repairing laptops for many years, i have never come across screws falling out on their own, so maybe that model acer was just badly manufactured.

• Site Banned Posts: 2 andy0078

My advice would be to go back to the shop with receipt and demand a replacement or voucher or credit.

This shouldn't happen and you are entitled to goods being fit for purpose. Nobody would want to purchase something that wasn't fit for purpose so remind the shop manager of this and tell him to sort it out.

Best of luck with it.

Advertisement