Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When Tus ends.......the horror begins.

Options
  • 31-10-2013 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Just a quick thread to let those of you, who are on or about to take up a Tus scheme, Know the problems
    you may face when signing back on to jobseekers.....

On my first week of Tus, I was paid by Tus, I was also paid 3 days jobseekers on top of this, my first week.
    I brought this up to my supervisor and I was told not to worry, everyone is paid a litle extra to help them through their first week. Great I thought, this scheme might not be so bad after all, until I realised I had to pay € 16.58 PRSI and emergency tax.

I got the emergency tax situation sorted, but because I'm married with kids I had to pay a €16.58 PRSI contribution weekly from the extra €20.00 allowance top-up you are given. Leaving me a grand total of a €3.42 top-up.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind having to work for my social welfare, I've worked in construction all my life, from apprenticeship to master. I'd gladly work for my social welfare, if the work and conditions were organised properly by compentant people.

I found the Tus scheme to be the most demoralising, stressful and downright soul destroying experience of my life. And thats coming from a man that has worked with some real thick gennets in his time on building sites worldwide.

Anyway, my whinging aside on to the end of the scheme.......

When the scheme ends and you are unfortunate enough to have to sign back on.... get ready for a shock.

Remember that generous extra 3 days pay you got at the start of the scheme.....it's an OVERPAYMENT.

This means when you sign back on you will only be paid two days jobseekers instead of a full week.
    I was informed of this when I enquired why ? after a week of signing back on there was no money in the post office. The seamless transition from Tus back to Jobseekers didn't exist for me. My application is pending and I was told I will have to wait another week without payment.

Now before you say it.....Go to your Community welfare officer, I did and was informed that they cannot help me with an interm payment or exceptional needs payment because signing back on from tus has different protocols, to normal unemployment to jobseekers and the community welfare cannot issue a payment because it will reset your application and be classed as another overpayment and will take longer to process..... So I am currently pennyless, with a wife and kids and no money to pay for food, rent or heating in social welfare limbo until next week..... BE WARNED.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Go to Citizen's Information. There must be a way to sort this.

Worse case, go to VDP if you need food etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Go to Citizen's Information. There must be a way to sort this.

Worse case, go to VDP if you need food etc.

Hi Mrs O'Bumble,

I spoke to citizen's advice and they advised me to go to St vdp, if I was stuck. They also told me
    to contact the appeals office and explain to them what has happened and to also contact the Minister for social protection to highlight the way the scheme is run and how people are getting caught out.

The worst of it it all is how I was spoken to by both the social welfare officer in the employment office and the community welfare officer. I felt as if I was a thief, claiming this overpayment and it was my fault. I felt as if I was begging for my jobseekers.... I sincerely hope no-one else has to ever experience what I did.

I managed to borrow money to keep me going until next thursday, but others may not be so fortunate.
    I'll keep you posted on how I get on with Ms Burton and her band of merry servants.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The same thing happens with Fas though I think it is the first week in FAS that you dont get paid. Nobody in the SW office will tell you but the guys in FAS warn you as soon as you turn up.

It all seems to be because the SW pays from Wed to Wed or something and the rest of the world works Sunday to Sunday.

Agree about TUS it seems even worse than the CE scheme but possible not as bad as Jobbridge!

Also The 'extra' €20 is a joke as many people cannot claim fuel allowance the year they are on TUS and also the next year as they have not been claiming JSA for long enough.

But the PRSI sounds too high, was it PRSI or USC?

Advertisement