Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rad problem

• 31-10-2013 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

hi folks

I have a problem with my downstairs rad's not heating , upstair heat no bother , funny , they are on the same loop . all heated from the boiler .

any idea's

hanks in advance folks

figs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

It's sludge after building up in them you need to flush them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

Not a plumber nor do I know your heating system but just wondering does your upstairs circulate on gravity and perhaps the pump is not working, or maybe it is zoned and one zone valve is not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

how do I flush the system , do I have to take each rad off and reverse flush them indivually ?

can I run a flush thru the system first ?

@timmy . it could be a blocked valve downstairs and the upstairs loop is only getting the heat . good thinking .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

Is it a zoned system as Timmy suggested ? If so it's most likely a burnt out actuator . Don't go taking rads off the walls until this is confirmed .

as far as i know its an unzoned system

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Do the radiator pipes come out of the walls or the floor for downstairs?

the pipes come from the floor

Did they gradually get worse or suddenly stop heating?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

Air?
    Do they need bleeding

inlet pipes to downstairs are cold and stay cold , upstairs heat up

• Advertisement

I meant did they suddenly one day stop heating or did they gradually get cooler each day until nothing at all?

not sure shane , it only recently i'm using them again and they worked grand last winter

Could be pump so as originally suggested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭Soft inda Head

It's not unusual for some rads not to come on after the summer. First check the thermostat - if dust gets inside they can hinder their function. Blow out any dust that might be there. Bleed any air from the system long heavy curtains can give thermostats a false temperature, so move them away for an hour or so. The pin behind the thermostat might have become jammed in because of a build up of dust, thus keeping the valve closed - tap it with a hammer (and Ido mean tap) and it should free it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

It's not unusual for some rads not to come on after the summer. First check the thermostat - if dust gets inside they can hinder their function. Blow out any dust that might be there. Bleed any air from the system long heavy curtains can give thermostats a false temperature, so move them away for an hour or so. The pin behind the thermostat might have become jammed in because of a build up of dust, thus keeping the valve closed - tap it with a hammer (and Ido mean tap) and it should free it.
    I would be more inclined to tap the pump

It would be highly unlikely that all TRV's are affected by dust. The OP also said there are no MV's therefore if a stat is fitted it will only be controlling the boiler & not a zone.

@shane pump is running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Perhaps some balancing would help, although more likely if just the odd rad is not working.

good thnking bruthal

Advertisement