Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Babysitting

Options
  • 31-10-2013 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

This may seem a bit weird but I have been asked to babysit a 3 year old and am a bit worried. This will be my first time. The problem is that I have no experience with children as I have no younger cousins and have no neighbours with young children. The child's mother will be there for a short while before she leaves. How do you entertain a 3 year old? As I said I have no experience at all so I'm not totally sure of what 3 year olds are like!
    Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Maybe better here OP.
    For anyone that has followed this thread please ensure you read the charter here.

Thanks
    Taltos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Just be sure to get her up to bed the time the parents specify. At that age they are reluctant to go to sleep. If they throw a tantrum about it, don't react or shout or lose your temper. Just wait until they have cried themselves out and say OK, it's time for bed now. Don't be off with them, offer to read a story, at that age kids don't necessarily get that other people have feelings.

That's probably the main issue I can think of. Otherwise, keeping them entertained? Simple. Do what they want to do. Ask them do they want to play or draw or watch cartoons. Go with it. They might want to watch ten minutes of a cartoon and then play, don't try and restrict that. And be sure to play with them, no matter how silly you feel.

Good luck OP

Advertisement