Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

noonan

• 31-10-2013 11:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

Just recalled that noonan had some pre budget waffle...you will all be surprised at the amazing announcement im going to make..any body care to fill me in on the what is he was waffleing on about

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Noonan was probably just being sarcastic? I get the impression he's terribly impressed with himself. Its the sort of "I'm in on the joke lads!" comment he tries to make as often as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Sand wrote: »
    Noonan was probably just being sarcastic? I get the impression he's terribly impressed with himself. Its the sort of "I'm in on the joke lads!" comment he tries to make as often as possible.

Please be kind. Noonan is just a tired old man with terrifying delusions that will cost us dearly when it all goes horribly wrong. Borrowing billions is not austerity. Our economy is now a super-inflated bubble of debt. It will be interesting to see which bubble bursts first, the Irish, the UK or the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

Please be kind. Noonan is just a tired old man with terrifying delusions that will cost us dearly when it all goes horribly wrong. Borrowing billions is not austerity. Our economy is now a super-inflated bubble of debt. It will be interesting to see which bubble bursts first, the Irish, the UK or the US.
    It is what the previous government signed us up for. Can Noonan be blamed for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭hansfrei

dlouth15 wrote: »
    It is what the previous government signed us up for. Can Noonan be blamed for that?

The previous shower didn't sign us up for another 4bn to Anglo, or 4bn for Irish Permanent. That was Noonans great idea, all by himself.

hansfrei wrote: »
    The previous shower didn't sign us up for another 4bn to Anglo, or 4bn for Irish Permanent. That was Noonans great idea, all by himself.
    Whilst I'm not sure about those specific figures, Ireland under the previous government did agree to put significant amounts into the banks. Noonan would still be bound by that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Whilst I'm not sure about those specific figures, Ireland under the previous government did agree to put significant amounts into the banks. Noonan would still be bound by that.

Would he? He was a member of a new administration whose only commitment is according to the Constitution. If the previous commitment was signed into law then what is to prevent the new administration from changing that law? Or is it that he, as Brian Lenihan before him, was told by the Mafia bosses "This is what you'll do!"

Neither of those banks will recover the amounts we.put into them. Irish Permanent was a basmet case like Anglo.

Someone should post up that thread from politics.ie about "the malteezer". His debt transferes to us, his new contracts with Irish water etc

ART6 wrote: »
    Would he? He was a member of a new administration whose only commitment is according to the Constitution. If the previous commitment was signed into law then what is to prevent the new administration from changing that law? Or is it that he, as Brian Lenihan before him, was told by the Mafia bosses "This is what you'll do!"
    Neither of those banks will recover the amounts we.put into them. Irish Permanent was a basmet case like Anglo.

Someone should post up that thread from politics.ie about "the malteezer". His debt transferes to us, his new contracts with Irish water etc
    I'm not a huge fan of Noonan either but nevertheless we're bound by agreements entered into by Ireland under the previous administration. Noonan's job is to implement those agreements.

I'm not a huge fan of Noonan either but nevertheless we're bound by agreements entered into by Ireland under the previous administration. Noonan's job is to implement those agreements.

Noonans job is to do what we tell him to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

They sold Ir Life for €1.4 bln, so the max that can be lost is €2.6bln, assuming everyone runs into the difficulty. I would say they won't lose a cent on the bank.

• Advertisement

The present shower are only marginally less bad than the previous shower. I`ll be voting for neither.

Noonans job is to do what we tell him to do.
    But he must also act within the constraints set down for him by previous governments.

The present shower are only marginally less bad than the previous shower. I`ll be voting for neither.
    Of course that is your right but in the case of finance ministers, all will be acting within tight parameters supplied to them.

But he must also act within the constraints set down for him by previous governments.

And betray his own country, his own people? Why?

The first thing he should have done is disassociate himself with the previous shower. Have them banged up, start the ball rolling forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

The first thing he should have done is disassociate himself with the previous shower. Have them banged up, start the ball rolling forward.

He can't do that. The people voted for the other crowd, not once, or twice, but 3 times. We gave Bertie & co. the go ahead. And you got it, they went ahead.

Now, we need to front up a lot rather than come out with ridiculous excuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

What exactly would you have them in prison for? Afaik they broke no law?

Much as i agree with the sentiment, unlawful detention/internment isn't a road i would willingly travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭micosoft

Maudi wrote: »
    Just recalled that noonan had some pre budget waffle...you will all be surprised at the amazing announcement im going to make..any body care to fill me in on the what is he was waffleing on about

The only waffle I see is from yourself. What exactly is your point? You are too lazy to listen to what he had to say? Too lazy to read it in the paper?

You sir, are the problem in this country. An electorate too lazy to deal with reality resorting to cliché's and waffle instead of engaging with the topic at hand - an extremely difficult budget in an extremely difficult economic climate designed to take us out of "examinership" because we as an electorate lost the plot. Of perhaps you think there is a magic wand to wish away the past decade of bad decisions by the electorate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

micosoft wrote: »
    The only waffle I see is from yourself. What exactly is your point? You are too lazy to listen to what he had to say? Too lazy to read it in the paper?

You sir, are the problem in this country. An electorate too lazy to deal with reality resorting to cliché's and waffle instead of engaging with the topic at hand - an extremely difficult budget in an extremely difficult economic climate designed to take us out of "examinership" because we as an electorate lost the plot. Of perhaps you think there is a magic wand to wish away the past decade of bad decisions by the electorate?

Hold up there princess.i dont care for your aggressive tone..you may have lost the plot i didnt.. buying that second house dosent seem such a good idea now does it..or the jetski and trailer..stop taking your anger out on me..maybe i cant read and dont own a tv..loosen up there kiddo..its a disscussion forum not your personal rant arena..

Of course that is your right but in the case of finance ministers, all will be acting within tight parameters supplied to them.

Noonan is not constrained by tight parameters. It is true he may not be able to spend a lot but when it comes to cutting there are tens of billions in potential spending cuts that could be made that aren`t. On what planet is that a straight jacket portfolio?

All Noonan would have to do to free us from the shackles of 60 + billion of bank debt is to cut spending to the point where the books balance or show a surplus. Austerity whingers could be told whinge away, the cuts are happening anyway. If Noonan does that, the banks and their creditors could be told go sing for their money and Ireland could be marketed to the world on the basis that the economy is solvent.

Instead, Kenny, Noonan etc are fixated on the idea that people are stupid enough to fall for the line; "we got our sovereignty back." What FG/Labour did in finishing with the Troika is they ensured we get to pay more interest on the money we borrow. If they insist on borrowing, the least they ought to do is ensure we get the best deal and that is only available by staying with the Troika and not throwing ourselves at the mercy of the markets.

The only good thing the present shower are doing is they are so stupid they are not even going to negotiate a back up loan should things go wrong. This is great because when things do go wrong (and they will) they will have no choice but to implement austerity on a massive scale. I just hope they will still be in power when the proverbial hits the fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Noonan is not constrained by tight parameters. It is true he may not be able to spend a lot but when it comes to cutting there are tens of billions in potential spending cuts that could be made that aren`t. On what planet is that a straight jacket portfolio?

All Noonan would have to do to free us from the shackles of 60 + billion of bank debt is to cut spending to the point where the books balance or show a surplus. Austerity whingers could be told whinge away, the cuts are happening anyway. If Noonan does that, the banks and their creditors could be told go sing for their money and Ireland could be marketed to the world on the basis that the economy is solvent.

Instead, Kenny, Noonan etc are fixated on the idea that people are stupid enough to fall for the line; "we got our sovereignty back." What FG/Labour did in finishing with the Troika is they ensured we get to pay more interest on the money we borrow. If they insist on borrowing, the least they ought to do is ensure we get the best deal and that is only available by staying with the Troika and not throwing ourselves at the mercy of the markets.

The only good thing the present shower are doing is they are so stupid they are not even going to negotiate a back up loan should things go wrong. This is great because when things do go wrong (and they will) they will have no choice but to implement austerity on a massive scale. I just hope they will still be in power when the proverbial hits the fan.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/nobel-economist-stiglitz-im-astonished-at-irish-ability-to-suck-up-austerity-pain-29737373.html

Joseph Stiglitz appears to differ with you on the effects and success of austerity.

• Advertisement

5live wrote: »
    True but whereas he is wrong, I am right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

The govt doesn't have the balls to cut its own hair.

It's laughable the amount of € they borrow to pay themselves while the rest of us bend over.

It crazy to think they borrow € to pay themselves inflated wages. You wonder where this is going to end.

After the laughter comes tears

Advertisement