Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfair eviction

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Rorie

Time to contact their regulator then.

I've contacted the PRTB and I have a complaints form from the PSR, however they are not registered with the PSR. Do you know if I can still make a complaint to the PSR even though the letting agent isn't licensed by them?

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Rorie wrote: »
    I've contacted the PRTB and I have a complaints form from the PSR, however they are not registered with the PSR. Do you know if I can still make a complaint to the PSR even though the letting agent isn't licensed by them?

I would assume so, maybe give them a ring tomorrow prior to submitting the form.

Ok, I think I have all the info I need. Thank you so much to everyone, you've all been extremely helpful (well, most of you anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

When I got the first letter, I called them and said there must be some mistake, but they didn't believe me. Then I called in to the office in person and explained yet again to no avail. I have been shouted at and called a liar by them over the phone once before when they said I hadn't paid the rent, but I did. I even showed them the receipt.

This agent, are they the management company of the complex?
    or are they the letting agents? Do they handle the lettings for the entire complex? or just some properties?
    Letting agents usually either, arrange the letting take their fee and then hand over to the landlord,
    others arrange the letting, take their fee, then collect the rent less a fee,
    Im just wondering which one they are?

cerastes wrote: »
    This agent, are they the management company of the complex?
    or are they the letting agents? Do they handle the lettings for the entire complex? or just some properties?
    Letting agents usually either, arrange the letting take their fee and then hand over to the landlord,
    others arrange the letting, take their fee, then collect the rent less a fee,
    Im just wondering which one they are?

Hmm..I'm not sure. I guess they are the management company. The landlord is the owner of the company and the house/apartment block.

• Advertisement

Hmm..I'm not sure. I guess they are the management company. The landlord is the owner of the company and the house/apartment block.

Well, I would have thought that only the person (landlord) or their agent that has the contract with the tenant could issue such a notice that would evict someone?? hmmm, so who is your lease with? who is the other party on the lease, ie the landlord or a letting agent?

The management company presumably would be able to enforce the rules of the complex, but without proof or just on the say so of someone else, Im not sure how that would stand, and yet still how would THEY cancel a contract the landlord has with their tenant??

That the landlord owns the complex and then presumably runs or owns the management company then there seems to be some conflict and cross purposes being served by the management company?? maybe they are acting on behalf of the landlord (the owner) in the capacity as a letting agent, when they are the management company? for what reason Im not sure.

Maybe the landlord wants his property back and is prepared to not go through any proper legal procedure and is prepared to make accusations of anti social behaviour to get it, its hard to speculate on the motives, maybe they have been fed information and believe it to be accurate, without even investigating it, certainly being accused of not paying rent when you had is not on, among the other things. I'd sit tight in the property, gather your evidence and get your order of events and communications written out and then have a summary of that in bullet points, but get onto the PRTB for sure.

Another question though, how did you find the property? through another letting agent? online? through the management company? is it a small complex? it seems odd to me that the management company might handle lettings, but maybe its possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Cerastes you are confusing matters with talk of the complex management company. If you read the letters in the OP its pretty clear that they are coming from the landlord or a letting agency. The management company of the complex are unlikely to have any direct contact with the tenant (any issues on their end arising from a tenancy would be dealt with through the landlord) and they certainly would not be issuing eviction notices to tenants.

djimi wrote: »
    Cerastes you are confusing matters with talk of the complex management company. If you read the letters in the OP its pretty clear that they are coming from the landlord or a letting agency. The management company of the complex are unlikely to have any direct contact with the tenant (any issues on their end arising from a tenancy would be dealt with through the landlord) and they certainly would not be issuing eviction notices to tenants.

Im sorry you think so, but it isnt really clear who they are from. I wanted to clear up who was sending the letters and in what capacity they are acting.
    +
    If just a letting agent, why is there even communication
    If just letting agent managing the property? then how are they even aware of the issue unless they are managing all property in the block?

and there does seem to be some connection between the landlord and the ownership of the complex/ and probably the letting agent.

So it begs the question, what is their motive if the tenant is not engaged in anti social behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The second letter states "...our wishes as landlords and the owners of the premises which you rent from us". I dont think there is much confusion there to be honest.

A letting agent can act completely on behalf of the landlord; I have been in my property for over three years and have never once spoken to the landlord (they live in the US).

Its not a surprised that there is a connection between the landlord and the ownership of the complex; in a normal complex the landlord as leaseholder is a member of the complex management company and as such is part of the running of the complex. This doesnt mean that any dealings that they have with their tenants are in their capacity as a member of the management company though.

In fairness to the letting agent/landlord, they are not directly involved in this first hand, and are only acting on the information given. It is not inconcievable that there may be several neighbours who dont like having their late night parties disturbed and have decided to start making these complaints so as to get the OP removed from the complex. The letting agent gets several complaints of what they are told is antisocial behaviour and they have no choice but to act. If they want to actually evict however then it would need to hold up to deeper scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

There is no management company. One landlord owns all the flats in what Is probably a converted house and lettings is managed through a lettings agent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement