Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decisions Decisions, please help

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

I don't get the hate for Donedeal. My parents neighbours dog had a litter of pups by accident and without done deal and being able to give them away they would have been destroyed.

From the posters here it would seem the destruction route would have been preferable. :rolleyes:

I'd love to know how many of those puppies will remain in the homes they were given away to as they grow. The convenience of donedeal just makes it easier on irresponsible people who don't feel like neutering or spaying their pet because 'sure, they can always be advertised on donedeal'. Is it any wonder our rescues and pounds are full to the brim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

andreac wrote: »
    Why would they have to be destroyed? There you go, you said it yourself. An accidental litter, so not a responsible breeder.... Done deal is full of these type of breeders.

Who would have taken them, if you couldn't give them away? Give them to a shelter so they could languish there for months and they get put down or rehomed like what happened?

No they're not responsible breeders, because they're not breeders at all - the litter was an accident - since the dog is a house dog and is only let into the garden to defecate.

Despite them not being responsible (as you say) they did put care into ensuring they went to suitable homes. They brought them to their new home (and refused to hand one over when one of the places they found to be unsuitable), and waited until a few months after Christmas to do this.

So you can get off your high horse about Donedeal being full of irresponsible people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Who would have taken them, if you couldn't give them away? Give them to a shelter so they could languish there for months and they get put down or rehomed like what happened?

puppies are generally snapped up from shelters - they dont languish for months; were the new owners vetted in any way? how do they know the pups went to responsible homes and not to someone wanting to use them as bait for dog fights? guess its not their problem now i suppose. done deal is full of sharks - both buyers and sellers; plenty of good rescues out there who would have helped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I don't get the hate for Donedeal. My parents neighbours dog had a litter of pups by accident and without done deal and being able to give them away they would have been destroyed.

From the posters here it would seem the destruction route would have been preferable. :rolleyes:

The problem with donedeal/gumtree is that there is no vetting of the ads. It's pay your money and the ad is online. So even if the ad is obviously a puppy farm or back yard breeder then it goes online for thousands to see. It's not until somebody reports the ad, if it is dodgy, that it may be removed.

There were options for your neighbour. Liase with a local rescue and let them help with the rehoming and vetting and then they get the rehoming fee. Puppies are the first dogs taken from rescues as a lot of people have a notion that rescue dogs are somehow 'damaged goods'. The other option would have been to have the dog spayed. It's far better for a female to be spayed as it's much more risky with infections post heat.

I don't know where you got the notion that destruction would be a preferred option??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

The problem with donedeal/gumtree is that there is no vetting of the ads. It's pay your money and the ad is online. So even if the ad is obviously a puppy farm or back yard breeder then it goes online for thousands to see. It's not until somebody reports the ad, if it is dodgy, that it may be removed.

There were options for your neighbour. Liase with a local rescue and let them help with the rehoming and vetting and then they get the rehoming fee. Puppies are the first dogs taken from rescues as a lot of people have a notion that rescue dogs are somehow 'damaged goods'. The other option would have been to have the dog spayed. It's far better for a female to be spayed as it's much more risky with infections post heat.

I don't know where you got the notion that destruction would be a preferred option??

Vetting done by a rescue? Its not as they have access to a Garda database or anything, they just ask questions and go on intuition if we're being honest, no more than anyone else. Do all rescues call out and see where the dog will be living? Hardly. There is nothing to say that a dog given to a rescue will not end up in a bad home either.

I don't see how having the dog spayed after she had pups is good advice at all. Thats like telling a pregnant teenager that she wouldn't be pregnant if she didn't have sex, it doesn't deal with the problem at all. Useless comment from someone on a high horse. I hope the view is good up there.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Vetting done by a rescue? Its not as they have access to a Garda database or anything, they just ask questions and go on intuition if we're being honest, no more than anyone else. Do all rescues call out and see where the dog will be living? Hardly. There is nothing to say that a dog given to a rescue will not end up in a bad home either.

Every good rescue does homechecks on every dog that they rehome. It's a vital part of the rehoming process which you've just admitted you know very little about. Also for most of them the dogs go out on a trial basis and their may be a follow up visit done to ensure that all is well. There is normally a clause saying that in the event of circumstances changing or not working out etc that the dog returns to the rescue. One thing that certainly isn't available through donedeal, which is 'buyer beware' all the way.

I don't see how having the dog spayed after she had pups is good advice at all. Thats like telling a pregnant teenager that she wouldn't be pregnant if she didn't have sex, it doesn't deal with the problem at all. Useless comment from someone on a high horse. I hope the view is good up there.:rolleyes:

The dog should have been spayed prior to the 'accidental' mating. Apart from not noticing that the bitch was in heat, I'm sure your neighbours noticed that there were intact males hanging about, barking and ultimately getting into their garden?? Besides all that for every heat that a bitch goes through there is a danger of contracting pyometra, a potentially fatal infection. There was a thread here only last week about a poster who's dog had to have an emergency spay and then follow up surgery. But TBH your neighbours sound fairly irresponsible, if the mating had been noticed they could have got medication from the vet to stop the pregnancy, or even aborted the pups. What size was the bitch and what size was the male? It is so, so dangerous to have a mating that is unnaccounted for, it's so dangerous for the bitch.

I really don't care if you think I'm on a 'high horse' about it, you don't seem to have the first clue about rescue and rehoming or the work that some people give up their time, effort and energy to do for free. You continue on in blissful ignorance and buy your next pup off donedeal and deal with the fallout when the dog develops behavioural problems or inherited illnesses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

A few things to consider - I'm not entirely anti getting a dog at Christmas if your circumstances suit. For example, my husband and I will have 2 weeks off around then, we have a quiet house and it would be an ideal time for us to get a puppy. But please be honest with yourself about it - if you have family coming and going, pressure of having a nice Christmas, twice the cooking and cleaning as normal etc, how much pressure would a puppy who needs constant watching add? All that extra cleaning etc. I often think that if I was to get another, I'd be unprepared for the work a pup brings. I think I've blanked it from my mind after my first two :D

If you're sure it's a good time for your family to get a puppy then it's not for me to suggest otherwise. As I mentioned, for some families it might be, however it does bring up another problem - you will not find a good breeder willing to sell you a pup at Christmas. Guaranteed. I (unfortunately) know one personally who makes a fortune at Christmas, selling all breeds and crosses and who "will breed anything that will ****" he even offered me money to use my dog for stud without even seeing him <--- I personally wouldn't deal with someone like that.

I'm a HUGE fan of commonly misunderstood dogs like rotties, (have two very lovely RB dogs myself) but please be aware that as your kids get older they will not legally be allowed walk the dog until over the age of 16.

You said you wanted a pedigree but then said your budget is 350. You wont get many breeders who have all the relevant health tests selling for that much. With that in mind, I'd urge you to reconsider rescue. You can get pure breeds in rescue if you're adamant that is what you want. They wont have health tests or certs, but for the money you're willing to spend, you're not likely to get that anyway. Another plus is, you could look at fostering, see how the dog fits into your family and if it doesn't work out the dog will be rehomed elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Theimprover

Thanks for your reply whispered, like yourself our house is going to be quite over the Xmas so we really do think it's a good time to get a new dog.
    After a lot of discussions between myself and my wife we have finally come to a decision, my wife really liked the German Shepherd and I was for the Rottweiler but tbh we both really didn't mind either way as they have a lot of similarities so we agreed that which ever comes 1st as in the best pedigree.
    We are going to see a German Shepherd tomorrow in Cork, the lady that has them owns both parents and it's there 3rd litter, the lady asked my wife a lot of questions over the phone, she really wanted to know where the dog would be staying and it's surrounding area, also really wanted the dogs to go to a family as a pet and not a guard dog, tbh it all looks a sounds really genuine to me, Ohh she also mentions all the pedigrees that they came from.
    So also mentioned about a man that drove all the way down from Donegal to see the dogs and did leave with one, he mentioned that he found it very difficult to find the right one, so all this been true it must say a lot bout the pedigrees.

Now for your help, what questions should I be asking outside of the basics, can someone explain to me about the hip ratings and so on. Just waiting to board my flight so will be back on again later.

Forgot to mention that the females are €400 and males are €500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Are the straight or sloped back GSDs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

sorry this doesn't sound right for a good GSD. I have read on Boards.ie that you cant get a good GSD in Ireland as they simply aren't bred right.

Where did you source this litter - was it through the IKC? Sounds odd to me that a good litter is available to you almost immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I can see an ad on done deal that foots the bill and does give more info than your obvious lazy puppy farmer, but I would proceed with caution.

My instinct still tells me that there is a little trolling going on here (BF to GSD in a few days) but I'll banish that thought for now. I still think you are moving way too fast. How much talking have you done with the kids to prepare them? How prepared are you for a puppy? Is everything in place?

In short, what's the rush?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Theimprover

Do you know what, I am sick of these accusations of trolling etc, so many stuck up pigs here, I'm just going to get my advice elsewhere, end of topic for me here.

Do you know what, I am sick of these accusations of trolling etc, so many stuck up pigs here, I'm just going to get my advice elsewhere, end of topic for me here.

Fine. Go get your done deal badly bred, handed over immediately, no waiting list needed pup. And a breed that is riddled with hip problems and arthritis. Good luck with the vet bills.

Is it any wonder that you have been accused of trolling though? You start off wanting a bichon from Santa for children, after a malamute, a choc labrador and a rottweiler you're decided on a GSD? This isn't a new TV your buying. It's a living animal, something you have to make a commitment to for the next 12-15 years but you take no advice from anybody and seem to avoid the important stuff such as not buying from a website where you've been told the ads are highly likely to be dodgy.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Enough is enough.Thread locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement