Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confessions of a never has been.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Had a little bit of time to myself today (unexpectedly) so I took advantage and put in a half decent session of core work\stretching\press-ups before heading off for 5 recovery paced miles ( Daft Punk's classic album Homework providing the audio backdrop :D)

Headed off into the sunshine for the recovery run, over to eastpoint and back. The place was mobbed with runners\walkers\lounging arounders all enjoying the day that was in it. My legs are a little heavy today from the tough week and from yesterday's 5k rep session but I felt much better at the end of the run.

Came home, ate and even dozed off for a little bit, happy days,

Total miles: [EMAIL="5@8:55"]5 @ 8:55[/EMAIL] min\miles

9 miles [EMAIL="w/6@tempo"]w/6@tempo[/EMAIL]

Another day where I found myself with a little time to spare unexpectedly so I took the chance to get a light weights session in before heading off for my tempo run.

The plan for today was to run the great Ireland run route again and try to keep the pace a little better over the hilly sections.
    I love running in the phoenix park but don't get to do it enough these days - today the place was mobbed ...I spotted 3 or 3 BIG parties on the way around the course, groups of ( what I think were) Roma families with very fancy cars, boots open music blaring etc....bit of a carnival atmosphere in the park really.

Anyway, I ran quite well today - happy with all of the splits bar maybe one, thinking back I probably did ease off on the effort scale just a bit and it shows on the time.
    Splits:

Ran 1.5 miles back to the car as a w\d

total for the day: 9

Its been a good week training wise this week - 60+ miles for the first time in a long time(with 3 good sessions) after 4 weeks of 50+ miles.
    I do need an easy week though to let the body recover a bit, I'm fairly sure of that so this coming week will be a stepback week in terms of effort and in terms of miles.

Off to Mammy D's now for dinner and easter eggs :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Nice session D, were the tempo splits done consecutively?

TbL

thanks TbL - they were done consecutively alright - just shy of 40 minutes for the tempo bit

AM - off work today so stayed in bed a little later than normal then headed off for a few easy miles to start the day. Straightforward route down the coast - using the grass where possible.

Total 3 miles@ 8:22 min\miles

PM - A couple of hours gardening which has left me considerably more shattered than any other type of work out I would normally do. Good craic with my youngest doing the garden though, she gathered a very impressive collection of worms by the end. Off out tonight then for 5 miles easy. The wind has picked up quite a bit since earlier today but there is a nice hazy rain falling which is pleasant on the face.
    Down to east point and back - fairly tired doing this but I was enjoying the run towards the end.
    Total: 5 miles@ 8:12 min\miles

Total for the day: 8

• Advertisement

Another day of double easy runs, broken by a few hours in town with the kids.
    AM - 4 miles easy on the coast - got out just after the downpours and the sun had just come out. Beautiful morning for it and I had the place more or less to myself which was odd.
    PM:
    Shopping with a teenage girl is hands down harder than any other session, marathon, race, ordeal I've ever undertaken in my life - 3 hours of tutting, sighing, pouting, sulking ( and that was only me :pac::pac:) whilst getting dragged into and out of shops is enough to drive anyone bonkers. I was genuinely fit for a nap when we got home - which I managed to get by sticking on a movie and dozing off for a few minutes.

Got out for another 3 miles easy this evening, lovely clear night for it - my legs are starting to feel very fresh which is the plan for this week - to get the freshness back into the legs with lots of easy running.

Total for the day: 7 miles easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I just give mine the money and wait for her in Starbucks.................

ha ha - I must remember that AMK, next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Duanington wrote: »

Another day of double easy runs, broken by a few hours in town with the kids.
    AM - 4 miles easy on the coast - got out just after the downpours and the sun had just come out. Beautiful morning for it and I had the place more or less to myself which was odd.
    PM:
    Shopping with a teenage girl is hands down harder than any other session, marathon, race, ordeal I've ever undertaken in my life - 3 hours of tutting, sighing, pouting, sulking ( and that was only me :pac::pac:) whilst getting dragged into and out of shops is enough to drive anyone bonkers. I was genuinely fit for a nap when we got home - which I managed to get by sticking on a movie and dozing off for a few minutes.

Got out for another 3 miles easy this evening, lovely clear night for it - my legs are starting to feel very fresh which is the plan for this week - to get the freshness back into the legs with lots of easy running.

Total for the day: 7 miles easy

I'm glad I'm in an all male house hold! However to be fair to the girl it's a dose shopping with a man!

SamforMayo wrote: »
    I'm glad I'm in an all male house hold! However to be fair to the girl it's a dose shopping with a man!

This is probably true - she still wrecked my head though!

• Advertisement

Thursday - had a couple of hours to kill in the afternoon so made my way over to the phoenix park for a couple of hours for this week's "long" run,
    The sun was beaming down on the way over, as soon as I got out of the car though it started pi$$ing from the heavens...hailstones, wind - the lot. Still, the run was quite enjoyable - 11 miles easy around the main roads in the park, taking in most of the hills available while keeping everything nice and easy.
    Home afterwards for a few light weights then into town for a couple of scoops

Total: 11 miles @ 8:32 min miles

Friday

A late night last night and an early start this morning ( back to work) left me shattered all day so I was thankful that today's run was a) short and b) slow. Made my way up to St Anne's, ran around the pitches a bit watching some of the match that was being played then pottered back home for a curry which marks the end of my easy week. Even though I was tired today, my legs do feel very fresh and have a certain spring that has been absent in recent times.

Total miles: 4 @ 8:21 min miles

5 miles easy with 6x80 metre strides

30 minutes weights and core work to start with then out for the run

Feeling very fresh this evening for this one and thoroughly enjoyed every step. Headed off down the coast as usual, the wind was a little bit p*xy to start with but I forgot about it once I got going.
    I ran the stride sections as usual - not flat out but faster than what I imagine 3k pace is and focusing on form\turnover as much as pace.

Wind aside, it was a nice night for running, very happy with how my legs are feeling at the moment and I'm hopeful it will set me up nicely for another couple of tough weeks.

Total miles [EMAIL="5@8"]5 @ 8[/EMAIL]:05 min\mile

Tempo night tonight the plan was to do 8 miles including [EMAIL="2x3@tempo"]2x3 miles@tempo[/EMAIL]

I say "tempo" but the plan was to run the first set @ 6:30 then to run the second lot as a mini progression run - 1st mile@ tempo pace, 2nd @10k pace and last @ 5k pace

ran my 1 mile warm up nice and slow along the coast then took off towards the city centre, I had a few friends running the Samsung night run tonight so I planned to finish the first set of tempo miles at the halfway point and hopefully catch some of them passing by, then I could turn around head for home and run the second set.

The pace felt good and fast but manageable all the way through, running along the coast, down through North Wall and onto Custom House Quay.

Splits were:

Happy with the first lot, I must admit that I had to keep an eye on the watch to make sure I was staying in and around 6:30 ( although it went a bit haywire running through Fairview for some reason).

Hung around for around 5 minutes at the Samsung run, watching the hoards of yellow t-shirts running past, I like the idea of doing that kind of race but it did look VERY narrow and VERY crowded in places....I think I'd crack up running it to be honest. Everyone seemed in good spirits though so I dished out a few high fives and turned back for home.

The second set of 3 went as follows:

6:50

I switched off a bit moving into the last mile and upped the pace too late so I ran the last .25 quite hard and was fairly knackered at the end. Knackered but content of course

1 mile easy to finish off.

Nice end to a nice week

AM - 4 miles easy before work, legs felt tight enough all the way through this one, kept the pace right down and felt the better for it afterwards. Nice morning for it too
    4 miles @ 8:47 min\miles

PM - a bit of work on the chin up bar then out for 5 easy miles, took in a bit of the coast road and a fair bit of St Anne's park for this one. Stopping a couple of times to stretch and watch bits of a very feisty game of football in the park - kind of started to pine for those good old days :-(

My legs felt better again at the end of this, another nice evening for it - those windy\rainy nights are starting to fade into a distant, drenched, windswept memory

Total: 5 miles @ 8:22 min\miles

Total for the day: 9 miles

You and your feckin chin up bar.

TomJoad and I were only talking about you and that it was all your fault that our families were ridiculing our feeble efforts.

I'm up to 4 :)

TbL

ha ha - I was wondering how you were getting on with the bar actually TbL, 4 is better than 0 :D:D

And it's better than than TJ :)

Seriously I was getting sore around my back just above the armpits, as well as the core. I was surprised by the pain around the arm pit area, did you ever experience that?

TbL

And it's better than than TJ :)

Seriously I was getting sore around my back just above the armpits, as well as the core. I was surprised by the pain around the arm pit area, did you ever experience that?

TbL

I'm by no means an expert but I have definitely had discomfort around the lats ( I think that's the area you mean right?) a few times from doing them. From the bit I've read up on chin ups, it does target your entire core, back included so I wouldn't be surprised if it was hurting there.

I've been quite stiff around the upper back area a few times after doing them ( usually the next day)

Actually, when you say "sore" are we talking sharp "ouch" pain or a more dull pain that comes with exercising any muscle - if its a sharp pain then I'd rethink the whole thing to be honest....

Thanks D,

No it's definitely an dull exercised induced ache as opposed to a sharpe pain, just didn't expect to be feeling it there.

TbL

LSR night tonight, I was late getting out of work and feeling quite tired after a busy day so it took a bit of willpower to get out the door this evening.

I headed on up the coast eventually towards Howth with a heavy heart , feeling a little sorry for myself but gradually starting to perk up in the lovely sunshine. Ran as far as Sutton cross, doubled back and turned up towards Kilbarrack, into Raheny then into St Anne's where I ran a few quicker miles before easing off the gas and heading for home.

Finished the evening off by getting a load of gear out for the council collections that are happening tomorrow - happy days ( although they played this one well, just after we get water meters, they throw in the aul free collection to ease the pain)

Total miles 14 @ 8:30 min\miles

• Advertisement

Wednesday - 4 miles easy in the am, recovery run actually...all reaaaaaal slow. Really nice run ...legs were a little stiff to start off with but mellowed out nicely as usual towards the end.

Pace was somewhere around the 9 min/mile mark

Thursday - AM : 4 miles easy, again the usual route before work ( which I am starting to bore of so I'll have change things up a bit soon), pace kept down to somewhere around the 8:25 min\mile region. There was a bit of rain coming down for most of this which felt nice and fresh on the face .

PM : 30 minutes core\pressup-type stuff then;

6 miles w\12x30 second hill sprints - (walk back recovery)

Found a new hill for this which is slightly steeper, slightly shorter and slightly more tucked away from traffic which is great. 3 mile or so warmup then straight into it.
    I decided to run these very hard and to walk the recovery back to the start of the hill to ensure I could stay consistent on the effort\pace front.
    I was struggling to hold the pace over the last one though if I'm honest, my legs were really feeling the burn over the last 2 or 3 reps..but I still feel like it was a very good session - I worked hard on pushing down on the pedal as I moved up the hill ...first time I've tried a walk back recovery and I like them, it really feels like there is a bit more quality to each rep.

I'm not sure of the paces for each rep ( haven't checked) but they don't matter a whole lot, I was able to go just about flat out on each one ( bar the last) right to the end so effort wise, it was there tonight

Finished off with a very easy couple of miles

Total for the day: 10

Decided against running a double today - I woke up and could feel last night's session in the legs straight away so I canned the morning run and held off for an evening recovery.

Got home after an epic journey home trying to avoid the carnage at Newlands Cross and went off out very easy.

I held the pace right down to around the 9 min/mile all the way through, my legs actually felt good - a little tight alright but still good.

Nice trot down the coast to east point and back - freshened up nicely by the end.

5 miles @ 8:55 min\miles

Saturday - 5 miles easy before breakfast. Nice morning for it but my legs were a little sleepy to start with on this one. Nice easy run, down the coast and back, quite a few people out too which for some reason I always find makes the run more enjoyable.
    A few light weights and a bit of core work in the afternoon to keep me honest.

Sunday - rest

Monday - ARC 10k, phoenix park

Since the start of the year I had been targeting the Maynooth 10k on the 18th of this month as the race were I would hopefully take a big chunk off my PB. However, I got word the other day of a family event that I couldn't miss on the 18th so had to re-think Maynooth, I could put the attempt at a PB off or bring it forward and given that I've trained well and am feeling good I thought I'd bring it forward and give it a bash today ( I decide this on Friday).
    I arrived at the park nice and early and met a couple of pals of mine for a warmup run ( 3 very easy miles). They were both hoping for PBs but were slightly different times, we agreed to start together and we'd all run our own race.

I had my mind made up before running today that I would not start conservatively , that I would start strong and finish strong ( I always finish strong but always start conservatively). I knew the course would be quick over the first 2\3k, would slow coming out of the furry glen and pick up again. The course is 2 laps of a 5k route. I wasn't too worried about the climb out from the glen slowing me down because I planned to take advantage of the descent down in the first place.
    Lined up 30 or so from the front and off we went - I quickly settled into a nice pace and felt good over the first 2k, I was determined to keep the pace strong here and allow myself a little drop in pace on the 2 climbs.
    We turned down into the first descent and I opened up a little, not forcing but certainly embracing gravity for all it's worth.
    The climb out was steady, not too forced again and I noticed that people were starting to struggle around me , a sharp turn at the top of the hill and we were heading for the 4k marker - I still felt strong and moved into a small group of 3\4 runners who looked to be moving at a pace that I wanted to hold.
    The leading lady was part of this group and was moving effortlessly along with the rest of us, I wasn't sure if I could hold pace with this bunch but I was determined to try for as long as I could ( she was later name-checked at halfway and is quite the celeb around these parts - I can see why, super runner). Over the 5k mark and I was probably slightly ahead of target in terms of time - I knew the second half would be tougher though.

We turned out onto Chesterfield Avenue and I somehow found myself leading our little group, I was starting to work now, resisting the urge to let the pace slide a little. I was over halfway and on target, I needed to keep the pace up.
    Left turn off Chesterfield and without turning around to check it becomes obvious that the group has spread out a little - I was now running side by side with one of the guys from the group, he was wearing a knee strap which looked a little football like, he was moving well and probably breathing just as heavily as I was.
    The effort was becoming an issue for me now, I didn't want to let the pace slip but it was getting harder and harder to maintain it. I had taken the brunt of a decent breeze heading down past the Ordinance Survey while others tucked in behind and it left me fighting for breath a good bit. Onto the descent into the Glen and knee strap guy started to move ahead, I let him go - he was taking advantage of the hill and was in a place to do it well, I wasn't.
    The climb out of the Glen was pure torture 2nd time around, I immediately regretted running so fast on the way down and could feel the pace starting to slip. I focused on the ground ahead of me and dug in, sucking the air in at this stage. At the top, I foolishly tried to up the pace to make up for the few seconds I had lost on the climb - I should have let myself recover for a minute or so before doing it because my legs refused point blank and I reverted back to just holding steady for now.
    Approaching the 8k mark , I drew level again with knee strap dude and we stayed that way, for another 1km..both of us gradually increasing the pace as we approached the 9k marker. I had no interest in where I placed on this but I do tend to finish strong and I thought if this guy stayed with me and maybe had the same idea then I would be pulled along in a good race over the last kilometre which should ensure a strong PB.
    the 9km marker appeared at the end of the bend ahead, I started to push forward and felt the pain straight away, my lungs were in the red, my thighs were shredded from the couple of hills and my body was starting to resist everything I was doing.
    I'm fairly sure my form was out the window at this stage too but I was starting to feel like this was going to be my day, the field was very spread out now and I found myself on my own which scuppered my initial plan for the last k so I focused on the runner ahead ( another super-confident-smooth looking runner) and tried to close the gap, I could hear the finish line now, I knew I was in PB country but I wanted to make sure it was a BIG PB and had been in a heap for the past 2\3kms , I had no interest in wasting that now.
    I kicked hard for home, 500 metres to go, I wasn't going to catch the guy in front but I would finish strong trying to do that, keep pushing, keep pushing, saw the clock and had to look twice - 39: ( something, a p*xy fly flew straight into my eye and blurred my vision)....maybe, just maybe...

Crossed the line in 39:41, a new PB :D:D:D:D and the sub 40 10k that I had targeted at the start of the year.
    I hung around afterwards and shook hands with the 2 finishers either side of me, watched a few more finishers too.
    Chuffed with today's performance, not just the run though, I'm happy that I was able to go into the red and stay there when I needed to. I really enjoyed the smaller field today too, the organisers were fantastic, lots of genuine "thanks for taking part and supporting us" which really made a difference and I am delighted that I took part .

For anyone interested , splits were:

3:56
    3:57
    3:59
    4:04
    4:03
    4:04
    4:03
    4:06
    4:07
    3:22

My Garmin measured the course about 50 metres short but there is a lot of tree cover which may explain that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Great performance and result. I was feeling your pain as I read that report.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Bloody hell , I'm wrecked reading about that race, huge respect for ploughing on and huge congrats on your sub 40! Hard work obviously pays off, well done.

DD (dogged determination),

Great running, you held it together on what's sounds like a challenging course.

You'll definitely lower that again over the summer with the sessions you've put in, not to mention all that extra core stuff :)

You kept that race very quiet, if you hadn't done the sub 40 would we be reading about a 10k training session instead!

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

that's a landmarked result achieved, well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done on the sub 40 - fantastic achievement. Plenty more to follow too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Congrats on the sub 40; there's more to come...

• Advertisement

RedRunner wrote: »
    Great performance and result. I was feeling your pain as I read that report.
    Thanks RR - there was a fair bit of pain over the last few k alright ! (maybe dramatized just a tad)

Advertisement