Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Confessions of a never has been.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Rocky IV seems appropriate for the marathon imo.
    No Easy Way Out?

got it in one !

Great time yesterday D. Well done

Thanks SB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Great 5k time. Well done.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Great 5k time. Well done.

Thanks RR

AM - 4 recovery miles around Citywest before work, legs were tired and the first mile or so was a struggle, eased into the run after that and felt nice and refreshed afterwards.

PM - bit of stretching and light weights then off out for 3 easy miles on the seafront. Lovely night for running, 3 miles was enough though.

Total for the day: 7

• Advertisement

AM - 4 easy miles before work, really enjoyable run this morning, taking in a hilly route that I use from time to time but kept the pace nice and slow. The sun was coming up as I was making my way around, fresh air, early morning sun..good times

PM - 5.5 miles easy with 8x30 second surges.

Usual route, up and down the seafront, sticking to the grass where possible. We really are enjoying perfect weather for running at the moment and yet there were surprisingly few people out this evening.

Legs were still a little jaded during this one but they felt much better once I started the "surges". I say surge but really these were just 30 seconds of running in and around hmp...separated by 60-90 second recoveries.

Enjoyed this run, this is a tough week on the legs but it has gone well so far

Total for the day: 9.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

You're going well DD.

What sort of mileage will you be building up to?

TbL

You're going well DD.

What sort of mileage will you be building up to?

TbL

Cheers TbL - yeah, feels like its going well at the moment.

the plan is to do 63\64 this week ( this is week 3, last two weeks were 54 and 57), ease off a little next week and then go back up and peak around the 70 mark for 2\3 weeks

AM - 6 easy miles bright and early this morning, out along the coast again...lots of others out and about enjoying the fresh autumn morning.
    Legs were a little tired at first but I eased into this one and felt good at the end. Wore the watch to keep an eye on the distance ( I don't know the 6 mile loop too well)

6 miles @8.17 min\mile

PM - Got in a bit of work on the chin up bar then off out for 3 easy miles after the Ireland game. Beautiful running weather out there

9 miles for the day

[QUOTE=Duanington;92573306]11.10.2014

AM - 6 easy miles bright and early this morning, out along the coast again...lots of others out and about enjoying the fresh autumn morning.
    Legs were a little tired at first but I eased into this one and felt good at the end. Wore the watch to keep an eye on the distance ( I don't know the 6 mile loop too well)

6 miles @17 min\mile

PM - Got in a bit of work on the chin up bar then off out for 3 easy miles after the Ireland game. Beautiful running weather out there

9 miles for the day[/QUOTE]

Were you walking the 6 mile DD :)

TbL

• Advertisement

Duanington wrote: »

6 miles @17 min\mile

9 miles for the day

Were you walking the 6 mile DD :)

TbL

ha ha - its been a long week !

Jesus - back to page 3 on the logs after 24 hours of no update, lots to catch up on here!

Tempo night tonight, I had planned a little core work but I was a little sore after the chin-ups last night so skipped it and headed out the door.

The plan was for 9 miles w/4 @tempo - and in truth, I was dreading tonight's run, I've been run ragged by whipper snappers all weekend and am at the end of a tough week's training ( relatively speaking - for mortals like me), the legs were tired heading off on the warm up.

2.5 miles easy to start with then I got started on the tempo section, 4 miles isn't exactly the longest tempo session I've ever done but I knew it would be a good bit tougher than normal.

I took a little while to settle into the pace ( running into the wind didn't help) but I kept to a flat, straight route to keep things simple. I wasn't watching the splits but was hoping to keep things in and around the 6:35 min\mile zone.

Splits worked out as :

Finished off with 2.7 easy miles. Decent session to finish off a very good week for me.
    I've an easier week planned this week and then back into some harder work again.

Total for the day 9.2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Were you out on the grass along the promenade tonight?

A guy flew by me just before Castle Avenue heading towards The Yacht wearing a grey/white top. Was that you?

Were you out on the grass along the promenade tonight?

A guy flew by me just before Castle Avenue heading towards The Yacht wearing a grey/white top. Was that you?

Not me Yaboya1 - I was wearing a blue DCM2013 top ( sniff:() tonight, I went that route alright though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Not me Yaboya1 - I was wearing a blue DCM2013 top ( sniff:() tonight, I went that route alright though

Didn't see you so. I think we were out around the same time though. I was in my light blue Longford t-shirt. Plenty out there this evening, even in the dark!

Didn't see you so. I think we were out around the same time though. I was in my light blue Longford t-shirt. Plenty out there this evening, even in the dark!

Rats - I would normally keep an eye out for familair faces etc on my runs but I didn't at all tonight for some reason - too f*cked probably !

Jesus lads pm each other and hook up, ye know ye want to :)

TbL

Jesus lads pm each other and hook up, ye know ye want to :)

TbL

There's no end to your talents TbL! Matchmaker aswell ?

( I'll drop you a PM Yaboya1 - give him something to talk about)

MLR tonight - the plan was for 12 miles with 3 steady ( around 7:20 pace)

Home nice and early for a change which gave me a chance to do some weights and a little core work - found a decent Deadmau5 live set to get me going.

Headed off towards Raheny, reversing a route that I run quite a bit, took the first few miles very easy as my legs are feeling heavy at the moment, I felt a little more relaxed after 6 miles or so and kicked on into the steady section.
    Steady splits were
    7:17
    7:10
    7:15

These were possibly a little quick but there was a decent breeze at my back for the lot

Ran the last few miles very easy to bring the total up to 12.3 miles

Rest day tomorrow

*Edit - looks like I'll have to go and join a club now, there's nobody left on Boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Hi D, just catching up and very late to the party. 18:32 hugely jealous, well done and so casual as well.

• Advertisement

outforarun wrote: »
    Hi D, just catching up and very late to the party. 18:32 hugely jealous, well done and so casual as well.

Don't know about casual but it felt good - thanks Outforarun

Wednesday - a very enjoyable rest day

Thursday

AM - 3 easy miles around Citywest before work. I had planned 4 but the traffic has been shocking all week and today was no exception, meaning I got to work later than planned leaving me a smaller window for running.

PM - After a mammoth feed up in Mammy D's I headed off for 4 more easy miles, stuffed to the brim with Shepard's Pie....I had no choice but to keep this nice and easy - felt a bit like a stuffed turkey in shorts

Total for the day : 7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Been on a bit of a boards holiday so just seeing your 5k report now. Nice PB. Keep up the good work!

Friday

6 miles easy 10x100 metre strides

Horrific weather for this one, wind and rain...love the rain, hate the wind. Up and down the coast road, ran the strides into the wind which was a bit of a joke. Felt good by the end of this one despite having been blown all over the shop on the route.

Total miles 6.2

Saturday

AM - Met up with Yaboya1 for 8 easy miles on the coast road. Great chat on the way around and the miles skipped by nicely. Enjoyable run, legs felt nice and relaxed, smashing weather for it too

PM - a bit of work on the chinup bar, then off out for 3 easy miles. The wind had picked up quite a bit by the time I got out which made the first half too slow and the second half too quick

Total for the day: 11

Busy today today but I still managed to squeeze in a little core work before heading out for tonight's tempo run.

The plan was for 10 miles w\6 @ hmp

Took in 2 easy miles on the coast ( into a p*xy wind) before turning around and getting started on the temp section. I had the wind at my back for the first half of this but the second half was both into the wind and largely uphill which hopefully makes up for the lack of effort required over the first half.

I started to blow a little harder than expected over the 5th mile but that was possibly down to the conditions more than anything because I felt good throughout apart from that.

Splits were:

A very satisfying session to bring another good week to a close

Monday

6 very stiff and very slow recovery miles - out in South County Dublin for this , far too hilly for my liking ! Felt a lot better at the end than I did at the start.

Total miles: 6

Tuesday

LSR night tonight and I was just in no mood for running for the first time in a while, a busy day at the office coupled with the urge to get under the duvet and watch the football provided the perfect excuse ....but I ignored it, stuck on the Foo Fighters, did some weights\core work and headed off.

The plan for tonight was for 17 miles ..all easy.

I changed the route up a little tonight and decided to take in some of the recently renovated areas in Dublin City - St John Rogerson's Quay, Barrow street etc....all looking quite impressive at night, I ran down past the Aviva too, carried on into Booterstown and turned back for home.

I find LSRs quite tough mentally so it was no surprise that once the bright lights of the city were gone and I was plodding along in the dark again, I found the enjoyment level drop a little

Messed up a loop on the way home which meant I finished up at 16.7 miles instead if 17

Total miles: [EMAIL="16.7@8:27"]16.7@8:27[/EMAIL] min\miles

Wednesday

Out after work for a very easy 6.5 miles. Legs were feeling tired from the longer than usual LSR the previous night ( and the general increase in mileage I guess) but I still enjoyed the run. Kept the pace right down , working hard to keep good form and to keep the breathing nice and easy.
    Total miles: 6.5 @8:47

Thursday

AM - 4 easy miles before work. I was working from home first thing this morning so got these in on the coast road on the grass. This one was a bit of a struggle if the truth be known, just a general lack of energy all around really.

PM - 4 easy miles tonight in the pi$$ing rain, again on the coast road and again on the grass. Rough day at the office today so this was something of a relief run and I felt a hell of a lot better afterwards.
    I'm always amazed at how different you can feel during a run from one end of the day to the other, hated this morning's run and loved this evening's.

Total for the day: 8

stumbled across this article recently and found it interesting on a few different levels, well worth a read

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/elite-state-mind?page=single

AM - Up nice and early this morning, dodged the traffic and got out for 4 nice easy miles before work. Nice run around Citywest, I'm changing jobs soon and I'll definitely miss the runs around the business park out there.

Total miles: 4

PM - Planned session for tonight was:

6 miles with 10x 30 second hill sprints + 10x15 second hill sprints

- run the 30 seconds at around 3k pace, jog back recovery
    - 5 minutes jog, then..
    - run the 15 seconds flat out and walk back recovery

Ran a couple of miles easy for a warm up, legs felt great during this - lovely clear evening for running too. Made my way to the hill of death ( its actually not that steep to be honest) and got started on the first set.

I focused hard on keeping the pace consistent right up the 30 second mark and felt strong right the way through for the first 8. I noticed the last 2 were a tiny bit slower for the same effort so I possibly wasn't recovering well enough to keep the pace up - the jogged recoveries on the 30 second reps were actually aimed at keeping me from running these too quick and allowing the quality on each rep to suffer.
    Very happy with this section.

Jogged for the 5 minutes to a different hill and got started on the shorter, faster reps.
    Again, these went very well, I surprised myself a little with the pace I managed to sustain right the way up through to the 15 seconds. While they definitely got tougher as I moved through the reps, the walk back recovery ensured that I was recovered enough on each rep - I actually ran the last 3 faster than the rest.
    Again, happy with this section

Ran a warm down to bring the total to 6.25 miles, good session, really felt myself working on turnover, good form and speed throughout.

Total for the day: 10.25

• Advertisement

Saturday

Out nice and early before breakfast for 6 easy miles. I could definitely feel the effects of the previous nights hill work in my legs but they came around nicely after a few easy miles. Kept to the grass for most of this one but I was blasted by the wind for one half which made it tougher than it should have been.

Total miles : 6.5

Sunday

AM
    I couldn't out last night for my planned easy 3 miler so got out earlier than normal today for my planned session and took in the 3 recovery miles tonight instead.

Planned session: 9 miles with 2x2 miles at 10k pace ( 5 mins jog in between sets)

The wind was ridiculously strong at times during the warm up for this and I wondered for a while if I was wasting my time doing the session - I had underestimated the effects of Friday nights hill session because I could still feel it in my legs ( in my thighs especially) and the wind would make the pace too hard or too easy to hold.
    I decided to get on with it anyway, the wind would be at my back for the second half of the faster section but it wasn't going to run the thing for me afterall...the legs would still have to do that.

I ran the first mile a bit too quickly and eased off a little for the rest. While the wind was behind me for most of the faster stuff, it definitely eased off until near the end
    Over the last .25 of the very last mile, the wind was pushing me forward so I took the foot off the gas a little - I was still blowing hard here and my thighs were really feeling the strain but the pace is probably a little artificial.

Faster splits were
    6:12
    6:15
    then
    6:18
    6:18

Ran a few miles warmdown ( the first one being a farce - into a gale!)to bring the total to 9.5 then took in a good feed at home
    While the wind had an obvious effect on the pace during some of the fast stuff, this was a tough session - getting going during the 2nd set was very tough, big voices telling me to write the session off, using the wind as an excuse of course.

Total miles 9.5

PM

Some laboured work on the chinup bar ( 15 minutes or so) then off out for 3 recovery miles. Legs are tired after a heavy but very good week running wise - a little shy of the planned mileage but nothing to worry about

Total for the day 12.5

Just over 66 miles for the week

AM

4 miles easy - very early start, not a sinner to be seen out on the paths\grass but quite a bit of traffic for a BH, obviously people heading into run DCM. It was a distinctly mild morning with quite a stiff breeze, definitely far from ideal conditions for a marathon. Fine for a few easy miles though!

Headed off into town to watch the marathon at about 11. There really was a brilliant atmosphere around the Mount St area, just before the finishing line. Saw the Kenyan lads stroll home, GOH looked like he had a nasty gash on the inside of his knee somehow ( a lad next to me said it was chaffing but it couldn't be, could it?) and witnesses a really inspirational finishing surge by Maria Mc as she closed in on the leading lady...she had hurt all over her face but the crowd were willing her on and she was somehow able to keep the chase up and almost did it too.
    Saw Yaboya1 looking cool as a cucumber about .5 mile from the finish, another cracking time from him.
    A lot of people suffering towards the end, saw one lad completely lock up, sniper shot to the left hammy - he stood still for a minute or two, took a drink, the crowd roared and he got going again, hobbling badly, then not so badly then on he went to the finish line. The marathon really is an event you just cannot take for granted, so much comes down to how things play out on the day...the weather didn't play ball today so to anyone that didn't meet their targets, there will be other days and other marathons - sometimes these things are taken out of your hands.

PM
    Core work and press-ups then 5 easy miles on the grass.
    Legs felt very good this evening but I was sweating within a couple of miles, its almost humid out there this evening.

Total for the day 9

Plan for tonight was:

13 miles with [EMAIL="7@steady"]7@steady[/EMAIL]

I find these runs great for 2 things:

1 - they are obviously endurance builders and travelling at the quicker pace for the steady section increases breathing etc but isn't too taxing on the legs so getting the rest of the week's sessions in shouldn't be an issue.

2 - They work wonders for confidence, the easy sections are obviously straight forward enough and holding the steady pace, while certainly a good workout, isn't going to be too much of an issue for the majority of the run. The net result is a very good workout, which I enjoy

I was off work today but it was still dark by the time I got out the door for this one, I headed off along the coast towards Fairview for the first easy section, I hit the 3 mile mark alongside Fairview park and bumped up the pace to steady, turning left at the bridge, lapping the park before coming back out on the coast road again.
    I enjoy running at a steady pace but my legs are working with a lot of miles on them at the moment ( as the easy sections show actually, its a little slower than I would normally consider easy) and I could feel the effect during sections of the run tonight, especially when I turned off the coast up the Kilbarrack road but completing the steady section or the run itself was never in danger in fairness.
    Completed the steady section just before Raheny and ran 3 easy miles home and am currently working my way through an almighty feed :D

8:45
    8:44
    8:40
    7:36
    7:31
    7:31
    7:26
    7:25
    7:27
    7:28
    8:44
    8:47

Total miles; 13

Wednesday

Had a day off work which would typically mean that in my now running obsessed world I would head out the door in a rush of excitement, run too many miles, get nothing else done for the day and f*ck up the rest of my week.
    Instead, I ran 5 very enjoyable recovery miles in the morning. Mainly on the grass on the coast road - once again there was a distinct lack of runners out there, the week after DCM is a strange time to run - yiz'll be back in yer hoards next week !
    Total: 5 miles (recovery pace - 9+min\miles)

PM - was over in leafy South County Dublin for this one which is a much less grassy and much hillier affair altogether for 6 easy miles. Legs felt a little heavy starting off on this one but I soon got into the swing of things, a nice bit of rain kept everything nice and cool over the last few miles.
    Leaves on the ground were a bit treacherous though - I'm a bit of a skinny\lanky yoke with a distinct lack of balance in my ageing bones and soft, wet leaves on hard, wet ground feels a bit like running across a dance floor of soap bars at times. I find myself aiming for clear spots of ground to land on amongst the leaves, I'm sure it looks like I'm playing hop-scotch at times to onlookers. Anyway, enjoyable run and managed to avoid a catastrophe.
    Total: 6 miles

Total for the day: 11

Thursday:

Slept through my alarm today for the first time in forever, I was pretty tired getting to bed last night but I slept 9 hours straight which is a huge sleep for me. The net result was that I missed a 4 mile run this morning so headed out this evening instead for 6 easy miles.
    Another very enjoyable run along the seafront, although, its still pretty mild out, still very quiet on the runner\jogger front and there's still a bit of a breeze out there.
    I felt great after 2\3 miles of this one, the pace picking up naturally as I went, I did reign it back in though and kept everything easy.

Total miles: 6

Friday

No morning run planned but I had pencilled in a good session for the evening;

[EMAIL="7x1k@10k"]7x1k@10k[/EMAIL] pace - 90 sec recovery

Found myself over near Shankhill for this one so I really had zero idea where I would run these reps, I decided to run easy for 2\3 miles...find a reasonably straight piece of road and take a chance. After meandering through Ballybrack and Shankhill for a bit, I eventually settled on a stretch of road between Bray and Shankhill village. It wasn't ideal ( paths were very narrow and the road was busy with traffic...leaving a very "exposed" feeling...the lighting wasn't great in spots either) but it would have to do.

The route was a little bumpy in places and the weather was gank but I still enjoyed this one - I didn't push too hard on the reps and the 90 second recovery was just about right. I had to work a little harder over the last 2 reps, which I guess is the whole point of the session, reps worked out as:

Finished off with a few easy miles , taking in a couple of bonfires, ghosts and goblins along the way to end the session - it felt like a good, solid workout and I'm glad to have it under the belt. I'm running a lot of miles ( for me) at the moment but I am managing them well and starting to feel very solid during sessions.

Total miles: 9.5

Saturday

AM - up and at it nice and early for a recovery run on the grass. My calves and thighs were a little tight from last night's session, there were a couple of small climbs along the stretch I ran the reps which may account for this?
    Kept the pace down to slower than 9 min\miles and found myself enjoying the run once the first 2 were done and dusted

PM - a bit of work on the chin up bar for the core then out for 3 easy miles. The day has gone t*ts up out there so I was glad to have this out of the way before dark! Legs feeling a little tired towards the end

Total for the day: 8

Sunday - mental day with the family so I had to bin a planned tempo and take a rest day. Bit of a bummer but I've had a run of a good few weeks on the trot now so I'm hoping it won't have any negative impact overall.

Monday
    Started a new job today so a new commute bringing new challenges! Straight out the door when I got home this evening for 8 easy miles on the coast.

I felt incredibly good on this run one I warmed up, the day off yesterday meant I was well rested for this evening, I thought about going on for a few more but I'm sticking to my plan as opposed to chasing miles. Did a nice loop from Clontarf into North Strand\East Wall and back

8:42
    8:28
    8:20
    8:05
    7:55
    7:55
    7:58
    8:10

Total miles: 8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Good luck in the new job DD. Any good running routes for your morning 4 mile training in the new location?

Cleanman wrote: »
    Good luck in the new job DD. Any good running routes for your morning 4 mile training in the new location?

Thanks Cleanman - Its actually almost exactly 4 miles from my house so I'm planning on joining the run-mute club ( backpack is ordered).
    Fingers crossed the practicalities work out, I'm pretty sure I can do it most if not all of the days I'm in the office. That would be the morning run sorted and some of the evening run too :D

Long run tonight, the plan was for 16 miles with 6 of them @ steady pace.

Got a bit of core work in before leaving for work this morning, great to wake the senses up in the morning! I'm getting the bus to\from work at the moment with a 15 minute walk either side which I am actually finding a little tiring for some reason so when I got home and spotted some of the games on the TV tonight, I was tempted...just a little.

Put a little music on ( Orbital), did a few weights then headed off out the door to get started. Nice route again tonight, in along the coast, 3 Arena, down the quays and back out to Clontarf, Kilbarrack , Raheny.

I had planned to tire the legs out a little before starting the steady section and to take in a few bumps as part of the steady section. I did notice my Garmin reporting very slow splits over the first few miles which definitely did not feel that slow, maybe the gremlins are acting the maggot

Splits worked out as:

8:48
    8:18
    8:19
    8:02
    7:48
    7:23
    7:24
    7:18
    8:22
    4:08 ( last .5 mile)

Legs felt well worked at the end of this one, good session to have under the belt

Total miles: 16.5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Long run tonight, the plan was for 16 miles with 6 of them @ steady pace.

Got a bit of core work in before leaving for work this morning, great to wake the senses up in the morning! I'm getting the bus to\from work at the moment with a 15 minute walk either side which I am actually finding a little tiring for some reason so when I got home and spotted some of the games on the TV tonight, I was tempted...just a little.

Put a little music on ( Orbital), did a few weights then headed off out the door to get started. Nice route again tonight, in along the coast, 3 Arena, down the quays and back out to Clontarf, Kilbarrack , Raheny.

I had planned to tire the legs out a little before starting the steady section and to take in a few bumps as part of the steady section. I did notice my Garmin reporting very slow splits over the first few miles which definitely did not feel that slow, maybe the gremlins are acting the maggot

Splits worked out as:

8:48
    8:18
    8:19
    8:02
    7:48
    7:23
    7:24
    8:22
    4:08 ( last .5 mile)

Legs felt well worked at the end of this one, good session to have under the belt

Total miles: 16.5

What s next on the cards for you D?

SamforMayo wrote: »
    What s next on the cards for you D?

Hi Sam - Waterford half in a few weeks time but I'll take in a 10k between now and then, I'll use the 10k as a fast session and hopefully take a few seconds off my PB :-). Waterford is the target race though

• Advertisement

Wednesday

No time for a morning run so I had to make do with 4 slow, recovery miles after work. Nice evening for it, starry sky , bright moon and I kept the pace verrry easy. Legs felt surprisingly good during and afterwards. I am starting to enjoy recovery runs more and more lately, perhaps because the pace is such that there is minimal pressure on the heart\lungs and mentally I tend to relax and switch off.

Total miles 4

Thursday

As above, no time for an early run this morning so 4 rain soaked miles tonight was the order of the day. For some reason I decided to throw a coat on me on the way out the door to run, the coat wasn't waterproof, in fact the coat was soon waterlogged and weighed a tonne within 10 minutes and I regretted bringing the p*xy thing at all. I resisted the temptation to launch the coat into the sea ( which is spilling over the sea wall at the moment) and served my penance

Total miles: 4

Starting the new job has meant that I've just had to keep things ticking over on days like today because of time constraints, once I get my 3 planned sessions in this week I'll be happy ( 1 down, 2 to go). Next week should be a little more straightforward and I'll creep the miles back up to the mid 60s again.
    I still hope to come in around 60 for the week this week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

A coat... You lug! Gave me a laugh though!

SamforMayo wrote: »
    A coat... You lug! Gave me a laugh though!

Ha ha ha - I don't know what I was thinking !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Ha ha ha - I don't know what I was thinking !

You should try bringing an umbrella the next time!! Would be an upper body work out too :D

Tom Joad wrote: »
    You should try bringing an umbrella the next time!! Would be an upper body work out too :D

I was actually exhausted with the weight of the coat ....the umbrella would just give me something to crawl under and sleep!

Friday

Planned session: 9 miles with 8 x 2mins @5k pace with 2 minute easy between reps.

This was one of those strange sessions that looks easier on paper than it is in reality but then doesn't feel quite as tough as first feared - but still tough ( confused yet?)

Home after work and did 20 minutes core work ( enjoying the mellowed sounds of Orbital at the moment for this stuff) before setting off on my warm-up. Freezing cold out but I was nice and warm after 2.5 miles or so and got started.

I had to check the watch halfway through each rep to keep an eye on the pace, I was mindful of running too hard but at the same time I wanted to match my current 5k pace ( which should be around 6:00 min\mile).

Average pace on each rep worked out as:

5:50
    6:00
    5:54
    6:04
    6:00
    5:53
    5:51
    5:44

The last 3 were tough and looking at the average paces recorded, I'm not surprised. The 2 minute jogged recovery felt about right, heart rate was still up a bit but the breathing had relaxed so getting started again wasn't too daunting.
    I'm a little pi$$ed off that the reps weren't more consistent, the pace on the watch is a little off-putting as the device is always playing catchup I suppose. ( each time I checked at halfway, the pace was just a tad slow so I pushed a little harder over the 2nd half and ended up running a bit too quick on a few).
    Still a tough session and one I'll build on over the next few months. Ran a few easy miles to bring the total to 9

Total miles: 9

Saturday

A day of shopping in town with the youngest and her 2 year old cousin was enough to send me running for the booze in the fridge as soon as I got home - I stayed strong though and decided to test out my new running backpack instead :D
    Loaded up with some clothes in the backpack and headed off for 6 easy miles. Once again, freezing out there but the run was very enjoyable, my legs were a tad tired from last night's session but with the cool crisp air waking up the senses, I was feeling very good after a mile or so. The weight of the clothes is noticeable at first but once I got into a rhythm, I forgot about it and just enjoyed the run.
    30 minutes weights aswell

Total miles:6

Sunday night= tempo night for me, the plan reading:

9 miles with 4x1 miles@ 10k pace (somewhere around 6:20-6:25), 5,4 and 3 minute recoveries ( reducing)

Just about a perfect night for running out there, I really enjoyed to couple of easy miles warming up on the coast, the bright moon, the dark, calm sea, the starry sky - a great setting for running really.
    Finished the warmup and got started ont he reps, again I was looking for consistency here throughout - I wanted to find the pace and hold it with some degree of comfort through each rep.

The first rep felt great...I settled into the pace nicely and worked to keep my form good and relaxed.
    5 minute recovery then into the second rep - again, felt great throughout this one, found and held the pace nicely.
    4 minute recovery then into the 3rd rep - much the same as the other two, working to hold onto the pace well and keep the form good.
    3 minute recovery then into the last rep - I promised myself I'd run this one harder if the first 3 went well so I did, not quite from the start but after .25 mile or so.
    The reducing recoveries kept things interesting, especially for the last rep

Mile reps were:

6:20

Ran a short warm down to bring the total to 9 miles.

Delighted with this session, the last rep may look too fast to be of any real physical benefit but I sometimes feel the need to remind myself that the body is quite often able even though the mind isn't willing, I'll remind myself of that one in a few weeks time. So much of this running craic is in our heads!

Monday

AM - First run into work with the new back-pack. Up nice and early, I had everything packed up from the previous night to avoid any last minute panics. Had a small bit of porridge and headed off for work. Really enjoyed the trot in even though I could feel the extra weight on the legs. Made it into work just fine though and had a nice shower and proper breakfast :-)
    4 miles

PM - First run home and I couldn't have picked a worse evening for it, straight into driving rain and howling wind. It wasn't actually too bad around the city centre but once I got out onto the coast, it was horrific! Delighted to get home and murdered a dinner and a massive cup of tea once I got there
    4.5 miles ( slightly different route)

Total for the day: 8.5

Tuesday (LSR night)

Brought the back-pack into work with me today ( on the bus) and got the gear on straight after the full time whistle.
    Headed off for home, ditched the back-pack and headed off to complete my LSR - plan was 13 miles.

Doubled back towards town, turned up the Howth road along the climb into Raheny , back down to the coast and home. Lovely evening for running and I broke in a new pair of runners too.
    Kept it all nice and slow until the last mile when I upped the pace to finish off a good run

20 minutes of press-ups, shadow boxing ( don't know where that came from) when I got back home

Total miles: 13.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Sunday night= tempo night for me, the plan reading:

9 miles with 4x1 miles@ 10k pace (somewhere around 6:20-6:25), 5,4 and 3 minute recoveries ( reducing)

Just about a perfect night for running out there, I really enjoyed to couple of easy miles warming up on the coast, the bright moon, the dark, calm sea, the starry sky - a great setting for running really.
    Finished the warmup and got started ont he reps, again I was looking for consistency here throughout - I wanted to find the pace and hold it with some degree of comfort through each rep.

The first rep felt great...I settled into the pace nicely and worked to keep my form good and relaxed.
    5 minute recovery then into the second rep - again, felt great throughout this one, found and held the pace nicely.
    4 minute recovery then into the 3rd rep - much the same as the other two, working to hold onto the pace well and keep the form good.
    3 minute recovery then into the last rep - I promised myself I'd run this one harder if the first 3 went well so I did, not quite from the start but after .25 mile or so.
    The reducing recoveries kept things interesting, especially for the last rep

Mile reps were:

6:20

Ran a short warm down to bring the total to 9 miles.

Delighted with this session, the last rep may look too fast to be of any real physical benefit but I sometimes feel the need to remind myself that the body is quite often able even though the mind isn't willing, I'll remind myself of that one in a few weeks time. So much of this running craic is in our heads!

Super session there, looks like you're getting into good shape. Very good consistency.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Super session there, looks like you're getting into good shape. Very good consistency.

Thanks P - consistency is the aim this time around alright :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement