Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confessions of a never has been.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Spent the afternoon in St Anne's with my youngest getting into the Christmas vibe much earlier than I had planned to. Nice setup they have at the Christmas thingymayoke down there, the weather definitely adds to the enjoyment though, lots of hot, tasty food and drink on offer in some of the stalls behind the amusements.

After spinning around far too many times on far too many fairground attractions, we headed home and I got some core\pressup work in ( core area was tender enough due to a bit of work on the pull up bar yesterday).

I headed out later this evening for tonight's tempo - which according to the plan was 10 miles with [EMAIL="6@hmp"]6@hmp[/EMAIL]

I try to run each tempo with a specific goal in mind, sometimes its to run fast miles, sometimes its to finish stronger and faster than I started but tonight was really just to hold a consistent pace throughout the tempo section ( target was 6:45ish).

Got 2 easy miles in along the coast and I got started on the hmp miles. The route tonight was back out the coast towards Sutton, turning in at Kilbarrack , climbing for a mile then turning left towards Raheny. The first 4 miles are all flat, the last 2 have some bumps and drags that make the going that little less straightforward.

As I expected, it took me a couple of miles to settle into any real relaxed tempo but once I did, the pace and effort felt just right. I normally attack hills on these runs but tonight I eased off a little and tried to keep the effort the main focus.

Finished the hmp section in Raheny then ran the 2 miles home nice and easy.
    A good workout tonight - tough enough to work the system but manageable enough to know that there's a bit more in the locker.
    These runs are sooo much more enjoyable when the weather plays ball too !

Splits worked out as :

8:17
    8:10
    6:41
    6:41
    6:43
    6:45
    6:46
    6:46
    8:15
    8:23

Total miles:10

01/12/2014

No run into work this morning, got the bus in and enjoyed every second of the journey :)

Ate like a ravenous pig all through the day ( all good stuff mind you !) and took a longer than usual route home to get some recovery miles in.

Really ejoyed the run home, I always find light rain a welcome addition to any run - even if its freezing cold out.

Legs felt a little tired all through this one but I hope to freshen them up as the week goes on.

Total miles: 5.5

Another morning off and another run home from work in the Baltic conditions.

Ran the 4 miles home nice and easy, dumped the backpack then tagged on another 3 easy miles.

I toyed with the idea of doing some steady paced stuff but I ditched the idea and stuck to the plan. Felt a little jaded over the first half and a little livelier by the end of the second half.
    I'll do a few easy miles again tomorrow and either strides or a couple of steady miles on Thursday just to rev the engines up a little again before Saturday :D

Total miles for the day : 7

Wednesday

A very strange 4 easy miles after work, I declined the option of running home with the rucksack and bussed it home instead. The aul backpack does add a little weight to the run home and I wanted to make sure I gave my legs a bit of a breather this week when possible.
    Straightforward up and down the coast on another lovely cold evening for running.

Thursday

5.5 easy miles at lunch time with 8x80 metre strides thrown in. This is turning into my weekly trot around st Anne's park and I have enjoyed it each time. The park was busy enough at lunch time today, lots of teenyboppers wrecking everyone's heads checking out the Christmas fair in the park, looked like either or school tour or maybe an entire school had the urge to go on the hop for the day?
    Legs felt great during this, I found myself getting a little carried away at stages and had to put the brakes on a little.

I kept the strides to a reasonable pace - maybe 10k and made sure I was well recovered before doing the next one.

A few weights in the evening, well rested and feeling good at this stage of the game, looking forward to Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Best of luck DD, you've been flying it lately and I reckon you'll run a stormer at the weekend

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Best of luck DD, you've been flying it lately and I reckon you'll run a stormer at the weekend

TbL

+1....have a good one and most importantly enjoy:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Best of luck tomorrow D.
    I'm backing a significant pb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Best of luck tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Best of luck, you've done the hard work, payback time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Best of luck tomorrow!

• Advertisement

1.26.35 unofficial , #f@ckingchuffed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Storming run DD, well deserved. Congrats!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Duanington wrote: »
    1.26.35 unofficial , #f@ckingchuffed!

Smashed it well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Super result! Delighted for ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Fantastic result, well deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done, superb running D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Great stuff, well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Great run.
    I knew sub 1:30 sounded a bit soft for you, but I didn't want to jinx it.
    Well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Super going, great to see the work paying off

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Savage run -great stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Superb stuff - well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Great running. Super result. Well done, D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Wow well done. Fantastic :D

Waterford AC half marathon

I had a whopper of a race report typed up here only to lose it when my internet connection dropped.

The report was to serve as a reminder to myself as to what worked for me on Saturday but I'm too tired to start typing again

So, to my 6 month older self who is reading back on this post - the miles worked, the consistency worked and it produces confidence.

Here are your splits: ( chip time 1:26:33)

7:00
    6:35
    6:39
    6:30
    6:53
    6:39
    6:34
    6:35
    6:03

You had a good time after the race and you'll be back

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Fair play to you D. Fantastic running and result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Well done D! That's some result!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Exceptional result.

The last mile, 6:03, obviously shows you had plenty in the tank.
    Any thoughts about possibly going faster?

Exceptional result.

The last mile, 6:03, obviously shows you had plenty in the tank.
    Any thoughts about possibly going faster?

Thanks AMK - the last mile on the course is all downhill, making for a very fast finish. I think I saw on Skeleton Boy's splits that he ran a 5:45 here so I wouldn't read too much into it.
    Having said that, yes - there is a part of me that feels I held back a little bit along certain sections, I suppose the fear of blowing up was lurking in the back of my mind until maybe mile 7\8. Once I got to that stage and felt good, I relaxed a lot more mentally and began to work just a little harder on the pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Great time, well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Congrats, very nice going.

Advertisement