Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confessions of a never has been.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Congratulations on an excellent time. Consistent miles and tempo work paying off. What's next?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

outforarun wrote: »
    Congratulations on an excellent time. Consistent miles and tempo work paying off. What's next?

Thanks Outforarun, you'd a nice result yourself on Saturday, great sign of progress when you're a little disappointed with that kind of time!

I'm sitting down tonight to take a look at race dates etc but I am looking to go under 18 minutes for 5k in the next few months, so I'll do up a plan geared towards that aim

Sunday

3 very easy recovery miles along the coast - this was as much to clear my head as it was to sort out my legs following the post race entertainment on Saturday :(

Understandably enough, legs were tired and tender, slept for Ireland afterwards

Total miles: 3

Monday

Post work run with the backpack, headed off to South Dublin rather than home in an effort to scab a free dinner ( it worked). The route was bumpy enough, taking in Booterstown, Blackrock, somewhere else, somewhere else then Ballybrack ( I don't know the area very well). Legs tired, the backpack slowed things down though and I actually felt good afterwards

Total miles : 8.5

Tuesday

Another post work run, homeward bound this time though, I got out a little late and just in time to meet the building wind...which was at my back for most of the run thankfully :)
    Dropped off the backpack and tagged on another couple of miles to bring the total to 6

30 minutes corework\weights to finish it off

Total miles: 6

I'll keep things easy for the most part this week while I put a plan together. Maybe a small session on Thursday and a relatively small Tempo on Sunday. There is a voice of reason telling me to rest after a long block of training but there is a louder voice reminding me that I am enjoying my running and I am feeling strong, I'll keep running but keep things sensible.

11/12/2014

Back to lunchtime running today, out into the Baltic conditions along the coast for a bit before heading into St Anne's for some shelter from the icy gales.

As I always do in the cold, I started out too fast and had to ease off over the 2nd mile
    Not a sinner in the park and even the lads looking after the Christmas fair at the end of the avenue were all tucked away in their little cabins rather than sit out in the cold.

I felt quite good today, my legs had a nice spring in them ( maybe the new runners helped) and I got in 10x80 metre strides. Nothing too fast, but I did focus on turnover speed and holding good form throughout, I was blowing hard over the last couple but felt great afterwards.

Braved another mile to warm down

Pressups\corework this evening to finish the day.

Total miles; 6

( I noticed I never logged anything for Wednesday - 4 miles easy after work)

Friday

AM
    4 miles easy before work - another sharp morning and my first run into work in quite a while. Nice trot in, the roads were very quiet for a change, I suppose people are ditching the cars to go boozing after work or taking days off for shopping etc.. it made for a nicer run in either way.

PM
    4 miles easy - runmute home, the backpack felt a little heavy for some reason, I didn't think the Christmas jumper was that bleedin Christmasy :( . Had to run this a little quicker than normal as I was under pressure to get out to Westside before 7. No watch but I actually enjoyed the quicker pace coming home.

Total for the day: 8

Saturday

Up and out reasonably early, stunning morning out along the coast but with the heavy frost overnight, the roads and paths were ropey enough. My lanky legs have a particular hatred of all things icey...I felt like a giraffe on rollerskates for a little bit but managed to get the hang of things after a mile or so and headed into St Anne's to run along the parkrun route. Met a couple of boyos from this part of the woods which is always nice, both strolling through the parkrun without breaking a sweat! Had a quick chat afterwards and headed off home to get ready for a day of shopping with my youngest.
    Spent a bit of time doing some stretching\chin up work in the evening.

Total for the day: 6

• Advertisement

I've had a very enjoyable week's running this week - all easy runs with just a few strides on Thursday to break things up. I had planned to run a shortish but quick tempo at the end of this week if I felt good.
    While my legs felt very good and last week's race was fading rapidly into the rear view mirror, I was feeling a little lethargic this evening after a busy weekend in the real world, the thoughts of even going out the door into the cold wind wasn't very appealing...until of course, I went out the door into the cold wind - a mile in and I was feeling much more at ease with the prospect of running a decent tempo.

Once I had 2 mile warmup done, I got started on the tempo section, easing into the pace a little then ramping it up into the 2nd mile and holding. Nice route tonight, along the coast for 3 miles, then up into Raheny for 2. After a lot of huffing and puffing, I settled into a what I knew was a decent pace - felt good at the end so I pushed on for the last .5 mile ( or at least as fast as I could without compromising my grip on the compact, wet leaves underfoot)

1.5 mile easy to finish off a good workout

Splits:

4.12 ( .5 mile)

Total for the day: 8.5

Monday

No morning run to contend with so after a busy day in the office I headed South for leafy suburbia with my trusty backpack. I'm starting to enjoy this route, Sandymount, Blackrock etc...it starts off nice and flat but begins to climb after a couple of miles. The first couple of miles were an effort but I found myself settling after 4 miles and relaxed into the easy pace, taking in the sights around me ( traffic). Nice downhill finish into Ballybrack, finished off with some light stretching\core work.
    Total miles : 9.5 @ 8:32 min\mile

Tuesday

Manky, manky evening for it - as soon as I left the office this evening, I knew I was not going to enjoy this run ( or at least, I knew I wouldn't enjoy ALL of the run). It was lashing out, it was freezing and while there was no real wind to speak of in the City Centre, I had a feeling that would change once I got out to the coast.
    Sure enough, once I dumped the backpack at home ( after 4 miles) and went back out up the coast, the wind started to pick up - I had decided against bringing any running jacket with me, remembering a post I had put up recently about how I'm always too warm to wear one after a few miles - muppet! It was Baltic out there and after 6 miles or so, I was drenched to the skin - my socks were squelching with every step, my shorts had wrapped themselves around my thighs and my soaking wet gloves were sucking what little heat my hands had left in them.
    I upped the pace a little every now and then to get some heat into the system but in truth, most of this run was an effort. Its the longest I've run for a few weeks now though and I'm glad to have it done.

Total miles: [EMAIL="14@8:26"]14@8:26[/EMAIL] min\mile

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Great progress Duanington, keep it up.
    PB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Nice running today in horrible conditions. Have you finalised a plan yet?

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Nice running today in horrible conditions. Have you finalised a plan yet?

I have the plan just about ready now TJ but it looks like I've a bit of travelling coming up with work in early Jan so I will most likely hold off starting it until that's out of the way - I've put together an "in between" plan to keep me going for now. It'll be the same format as the last one to be honest with some of Ecoliis sessions thrown in every couple of weeks.

I see you're on the road with the new plan now, looking forward to seeing how that goes for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

As the dad in Calvin & Hobbs would say about that run - "character building"....

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    As the dad in Calvin & Hobbs would say about that run - "character building"....

Character building indeed Laura, what doesn't kill us.....:)

Wednesday

4 miles easy into work, I don't remember a while lot about this except that I kept the pace down and the legs were a little heavy to start off.

Spent the evening doing some Christmas shopping then rewarded myself with a few beers :-)

4 miles

Thursday

I'm a lightweight, the few beers ( it really was just a pathetic few) had me exhausted this morning but by the time lunchtime rolled around, I did a few press-ups to get the blood flowing then I was out the door to try one of Ecoliis sessions;

14x1min @ 5k pace ( 1min recovery - I suspect the session is prescribed with a standing recovery but I went with a jogged recovery)

There was just no escaping the wind today so I bit the bullet and headed out the coast for warmup before cutting into St Anne's to get started on the session. The Parkrun route there has become my weekly destination for lunch time runs.
    I didn't want to get too bogged down on the pace partly because I knew I would end up keeping an eye on the watch when I should be focusing on the rep but also because I haven't done anything at this pace in quite a few weeks.
    The first couple were into the wind and were an real killer, I found it difficult to find any feel for the pace over the first few but started to relax a bit by the 4th rep. The last few were tough going , moving back into the wind but I was also keen to keep the pace up compared to the other reps.

Rep paces worked out as:

The avg paces are all over the shop really, I am pretty sure some of this is down to tree cover etc for the duration of the rep but some of them are just too fast and now that I think back, I can remember thinking I was working too hard during a few of the reps. Overall I'm still happy with the session, really good blowout on a blowy day, I finished off with a couple of easy miles to bring the total to 7

Total for the day 7

Friday - rest, then Christmas party :D:D:D:D

Saturday :(:(:(

5 miles easy, early and blurry...felt better afterwards, for a while. No idea of pace but it wasn't pretty

Sunday

Plan was for 9 miles w\6 steady

Still not right but I headed out this evening for some steady miles as a slower than normal tempo session.
    The wind is pretty strong out on the coast so the effort involved was too easy at times and too difficult at others. Not ideal conditions for running this kind of session because I really wanted to hold a steady effort for the full 6 miles, its obviously hard to get that right with the wind messing things up both ways.
    I took my usual route tonight, which had the first half of the steady section with the wind and the second half against the wind, not the most enjoyable run ever but a nice session to get in - I was possibly a little dehydrated because I noticed I was quite thirsty at the end.

Splits:
    4.10 ( .5 mile)

Total miles: 9.5

Monday

Feeling fairly groggy after a stressful enough day but I was glad to get out the door and out for my run, I had planned to either run a 5 mile recovery or an 8 mile easy run - depending on how my legs were.
    Given that the session the previous night was a steady session as opposed to typical tempo session, I felt ok to plod on for a few more miles at the end of the 5 so went on for the 8.

First 4 with the backpack on the way home, dropped the backpack off and tagged on the other 5.

Finished off with some core work\weights fueled by a long lost fatboy slim set I stumbled across again.

Total miles : 8

Tuesday

Run into work this morning, all nice and easy. The roads were eerily quiet though, wind was a bit of a bastid for the first mile or so but eased off afterwards.

No running later, more Christmas festivities to take part in. They are a pain for people that like nothing more than hitting the road and building up the miles but at the same time, I do think we tend to remove ourselves from "normal" society a but too much at times - its good for the head and the heart to keep in touch with the real world ....a bit :)

Total miles 4

It seems like an age since I updated my log, the past few days have been refreshingly busy. Refreshingly because its been busy in the good sense, lots of family, friends, drinking, eating and as much running crammed in as I could get away with.

Wednesday`

A very tired and very hungover 4 easy miles, I say easy but they were torture. Left the running gear in work the previous day which gave me the incentive and the opportunity to run home after an early finish. In all likelihood, I would have skipped this one if I didn't "have" to run home from work ( I could have got the bus of course but I knew I'd be up to it by the time hometime came around)

Total miles: 4

Thursday

AM
    Off down to the Phoenix Park for the now annual Duanington family Christmas Day run ( 2nd year!), beautiful day for it and a really peaceful atmosphere in the park. There were lots of people out for Christmas runs, cycles and strolls...the perfect time and the perfect place for it.
    My younger sister tagged along with us on this one, she's making noises about picking up her training again which is great, she ran the Achill half this year in just over 2 hours ( her first ever half and longest ever distance running) and got a huge buzz out of it but hasn't done a tap since. Myself and the bro left her at 5 miles and tagged on another 1 for good measure, meeting her back at the car.
    Total miles 6

PM
    Opened a present after dinner which turned out to be a nice pair of runners so I did what every self respecting runner does and took them for a spin , nothing crazy...3 very easy miles around the empty streets of Clondalkin, the multitude of teeny tiny quad\scrambler drivers who had entertained us earlier in the day had retired for the evening.
    Like the new runners, Nike Pegasus , a little snug around the toes on my right foot but I've since discovered wearing thinner socks does the trick there.
    Total moles 3

Total for the day : 9

Friday

AM ( or early PM to be accurate)

Out after lunch for some more easy miles in the new runners with thinner socks. The weather was pretty horrific on this one, freezing cold rain, the type that when mixed with a strong wind gives you brain freeze and pretty bad flooding everywhere I went. I took in the coast road and a few of the trails around Clontarf for this one, hoping to use the tree cover in St Anne's as some sort of shield from the weather, the funfair in the park looked anything but fun by the time I ran past!
    Total miles: 5

PM

Ran at the next available window which was only 5 hours after the previous run but they were both easy runs and I wasn't feeling too rough after a few drinks the night before. Straight forward loop along the coast for this one, the wind had died off which made it a more peaceful affair.

Total miles : 4

Total for the day: 9

Saturday

Much better day for running but I couldn't get out as early as I had hoped to so had to settled for 5 miles easy with 10 x 80 metre strides ( I had planned for 8 easy).
    Put a decent bit of pace into the middle section of the strides but making sure I held good form each time.
    Nice run and enjoyed the little bit of pace

Total miles: 5

Sunday

AM

3 miles easy before breakfast, kept the pace right down and managed to avoid going out on my snot a few times despite the sneaky ice on the footpaths.

PM

Fartlek: 2mins, 4 mins, 6 mins, 4 mins, 2 mins - all at 5k effort with halved jog recovery ( so 3 minutes easy after the 6 for example)

First real session in quite a few days and I had planned to run a fartlek type session tonight, depending on the weather. I was a little concerned at how quickly the frost was falling on the roads\footpaths throughout the evening and by the time I got out the door, the place was well and truly covered in frost, the paths however, didn't seem to have any real ice patches yet so I ploughed on as planned.

After a 1.5 mile warmup, I got started on the faster stuff. I was still a little nervous to start with and just couldn't get myself to "trust" the ground beneath my feet - I normally say hello to anyone I come across while out running, not tonight though - it was all eyes on the ground ahead, looking for dark, slippy looking areas that might bring out my inner giraffe. I knew I wasn't hitting 5k effort to start with but was confident it would work out as a worthwhile session. I did relax a bit after the first 2 sessions and got into what felt like 5k effort.

Paces worked out as

2 mins:6.10
    4 mins:6.10
    6 mins: 6.00
    4 mins: 5.57
    2 mins: 5:46

Despite the treacherous conditions, I enjoyed this one and I do plan on revisiting these kind of sessions over the next 2 months. The recovery feels shorter than it looks and while each one is very welcome, it feels about enough to keep you honest.

Ran a couple of easy miles to finish

Total miles : 7.5

Total for the day: 10.5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Will you feck off and stop making the rest of us feel bad. Doubles on Christmas Day and Stephens Day! Not to mention the rest! No wonder you have nt posted! ( nice work by the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

great commitment and some good running on here over the festive break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

outforarun wrote: »
    great commitment and some good running on here over the festive break.

+1

I was also in Clondalkin on Christmas Day and saw all those muppets people out on their scramblers & quad bikes in the morning. They were like a pack of Hells Angels flying down the roads on the wrong side a lot of the time. Just as well the traffic was so light!

yaboya1 wrote: »
    +1

I was also in Clondalkin on Christmas Day and saw all those muppets people out on their scramblers & quad bikes in the morning. They were like a pack of Hells Angels flying down the roads on the wrong side a lot of the time. Just as well the traffic was so light!

There was an unbelievable amount of them around alright, Santa must have had some craic getting some of those bikes\quads down chimneys!

• Advertisement

Monday

5 recovery miles along the coast, a very enjoyable affair as my legs didn't feel too bad from the previous night's session. Kept the pace right down around the 9 min\mile mark for most of this one but switched off a little towards the end and the pace picked up naturally.

Did some weighs in the PM , NWA providing the backing track ( I forgot how heavy hitting some of their stuff is !)

Total miles: 5 @ 8:48 min\miles

Tuesday

Last of the Christmas benders last night and I definitely saved the best\worst for last - woke up this morning after a very late night feeling like I'd spent the last 6 hours in a hot tumble dryer :(

I spent most of the day convincing myself to get off my ar$e and go for my run ( 6 easy miles) but I would have been a danger to myself if I had gone any earlier than I eventually did - bring on the next few, alcohol free months :)

After doing taxi duties for my eldest this evening, I got out for a run around Clontarf\Raheny, perfect night for it but it was quite late by the time I got out and there wasn't a sinner to be seen out on the roads\paths. No real ice to worry about this evening so I tipped along nicely on this and felt great towards the end - tagged on an extra mile accordingly.

Total miles : 7 @ 8.23 min\miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

You forgot how heavy hitting NWA were, your getting old D!!

tang1 wrote: »
    You forgot how heavy hitting NWA were, your getting old D!!

Not only did I forget Tang, I was a little shell shocked when I heard the first few songs...old indeed :o

Last run of 2014 today, I braved the headcold I've picked up and headed out for 6 unspectacular miles with 6x80 metre strides thrown in.

I headed off along the coast, cutting up into Raheny and back into St Anne's Park to run the strides along the main avenue before heading back out onto the coast. Quite a windy day out there but there were lots of people out running along the coast and in the park - always good to see it.

Came home and did bit of corework\stretching to finish off.

I'll see how the cold is in the morning but if I'm anyway alright, I'll head over to the Park for the Tom Brennan 5k - great way to keep me off the booze tonight :D

Total miles: [EMAIL="6@8.13"]6@8.13[/EMAIL] min\miles

Among the many benefits of keeping a log is the fact that you can go back in time to a certain extent and remind yourself of the things you did well, the things you did poorly and the things you didn't bother doing at all - in a running sense of course!

Coming into 2014, my main aim was DCM, I was of the mindset that marathon running was precisely why so many people are out pounding the pavements night after night across the country, on all kinds of terrain, in all kinds of conditions. For me, other distances were just warm up acts to the main event, I had never taken them seriously and had no real ambitions of testing myself properly over the so called "shorter" distances.

At the start of the year, I had planned to focus more on 5k\10k races but to always keep an eye on DCM in October, yes it would be nice to break 40 minutes for 10k or to go under 19 minutes for 5k but for me, DCM was the focus and everything I did up until August of this year was geared towards running in our capital's premier running event.

I'm a great believer in sticking to plans but allowing them to evolve...and to an extent, that is exactly how my year shaped up. I trained harder, I tried new sessions, I tried combinations of new sessions, I tried some well, I tried some poorly, I tried, I tried, I tried - and I researched....and I learned!

Not being a member of a running club, having access to the logs on Boards is something that I have taken a huge amount from, it really has become something of a brainstorming\whiteboard area for me - not just in terms of direct support\advice but just general talk from more experienced runners about the basic elements of training - consistency, hard work and patience.
    It sounds simple...because it is very simple, its not very easy but it is very, very simple!

In terms of my own development, I exceeded my own expectations in relation to where I was at the start of the year. I went from 20+ plus minutes over 5k to 18:32, 42+ minutes over 10k to sub 40 and from 1.41 over the HM distance to 1.26 .
    While there is nothing spectacular about those times, or indeed to progression, that kind of sums me up - I tend to play it safe a bit too much as a runner, while I'm good at gritting my teeth and sticking out a session\race, I do think that I've reached a point where if I am to progress to where I want to be, I need to get stronger and possibly a little braver mentally.
    The fear of failure is something that haunts most of us to a degree, those demons that gather over your head during a tough race, whispering at you to slow down and take it easy. I had a few occasions over the course of the year where I gave in to that fear, where the easier option was to simply accept defeat and slow down. I'd like to think I learned from each occasion though and pretty quickly - Athlone being the prime example, I had targeted sub 1:30 and came nowhere near that time. I knew I hadn't prepared right and while I was pretty pi$$ed off with myself in the immediate aftermath, I knew fairly quickly afterwards that I would move on from it and be better for the experience.

There are many training logs that I take a lot from on Boards and while it would be unfair to name them ( because I'll surely forget some!), I've been lucky enough to meet some of the people that write these logs, picking their brains for ideas along the way ! Its been a pleasure to follow some of the progress that we have seen on the A/R forum, seeing real people putting in hard work and exceeding their own expectations. There are of course some people that have been hampered by injury or even health matters which, for me, really puts things into perspective - we are lucky to have lungs, legs and hearts that allow us to train, develop as runners and race, I certainly plan to take full advantage of that fact!

Moving into 2015, I am a lot more confident in my training that I was at the start of the year, I am a lot more confident in terms of knowing what works for me and what doesn't. I have already set targets for 2015 in terms of times but the reality is, times are numbers and nothing more - if I put in the hard work over the weeks and months that gives me the platform I need to race well - then I need to race well, run hard and be happy afterwards....the numbers will reflect that, whatever they end up being.

The very best of luck to everyone on boards for 2015, thanks for sharing your logs and ideas with us. Work hard, stay consistent and if personal circumstances allow for it, run more :)

Thursday

I had hoped to run the Tom Brennan 5k yesterday but woke up feeling like I had swallowed a cactus and the idea was canned. Took the day off and dosed up on drugs - not an ideal start to the running year

Zero miles

Friday

Still not right this morning but I got up early and headed into the office in an effort to at least get back into a routine of some sorts.

Felt a a fair bit brighter after work ( or at least not so much of a snotty mess) so headed out for some easy miles, I was fairly chuffed to be out running and possibly overcooked the pace a little as a result. Legs and lungs felt great all the same, took in the coast road and most of the Raheny 5 mile route along the way.

Good to be up and running again, starting a new plan on Monday

Total miles: 6 @ 7:57

Saturday

6 miles easy just after breakfast, still coughing and spluttering a little bit and while I toyed with the idea of not running at all, it was a case of having the perfect excuse but not a valid reason. Got on with it and felt the better for it afterwards.
    As usual, I headed up into Raheny and back into St Anne's park for this one, looked to be a decent turnout for the first Parkrun of the year.

Small bit of core work and pressups in the afternoon

Total Miles: 6 @ 8.15 min\mile

Sunday

Out on the Southside yesterday evening for this one, with the coughs and snots subsiding the plan was to run 8 miles with 6 steady.

I haven't mastered any routes out in this part of the world yet so I thought it best to run 4 miles out and 4 miles back - which meant running from Ballybrack to Bray and back. This turned out to be a decent enough route with lots of bumps and hills along the way to make things interesting, maybe too many hills to be honest because the pace was a little up and down.
    Took a wrong turn on the way back but it turned out to be a nice addition to the route and took the total to 8.5 miles.

( chin-ups earlier in the day)

Total for the day: 8.5 miles @ 7.37 min\miles

Monday

First real day back at the office and I found it very draining, I made sure to eat well throughout the day so energy levels would be ok by the time I headed off for a run after work but when the bell went for home-time, I felt fairly drained and had no more interest in running.
    This was to be the first run of a new plan though so I got the gear on, headed off out the door with my backpack and got started.
    Last night's route is a fairly bumpy one with quite a few climbs from Blackrock up past Monkstown and on up to Ballybrack. I can't say I like the route too much but the climbs should stand to me in time.
    My legs felt a little stiff to start off with, probably from the hills the previous night but the main issue on this one was general tiredness from a long day at the office, I was very glad to get it out of the way in the end

Total miles: 9.5 @ 8.23 min\miles

Tuesday

I had planned a 12\13 mile LSR for Tuesday but a phonecall on the way out the door from work changed that plan and meant that I only had time for 6 miles. I ran four of these with my backpack on ( running home from work), ditched the backpack then ran 2 more with 10x80 metre strides.
    Felt good on the strides , I worked on form as usual but kicked a little bit faster than usual to increase turnover
    ( press-ups afterwards to finish)

Wednesday

AM - A very blustery run into work in the morning, especially along the coast at times. Once I got a bit closer to the City Centre things died down nicely though and I glided in the rest of the way. Not a sinner in the Q for the showers when I got in, the rest of the office obviously had more sense.
    4 miles

PM - 5 easy miles including a 4 mile run home from work, I felt tired on this one - my legs felt a little heavier than normal and I was lacking a bit of energy. I'm still carrying a bit of a headcold and coughing quite a bit ( oddly enough only when I stop running though, not while I'm running!). Dropped the bag at home and tagged on the extra mile. Strange run in terrible conditions, I was drenched by the time I made it home, my socks were squelching with every step for the last couple of miles

Total miles:9

Thursday

I normally run a double on Thursdays - lunchtime session and an easy\recovery run that night. Today I decided to go with the session but scrap the second run to allow for a bit of rest and shake off this cough\cold\whatever it is.
    Planned session for today was a bog standard 10x400
    As this is my first time running 400s in this training cycle and I'm quite a bit away from my target race, I wanted to work on getting consistent reps and not worry too much about the recovery piece - a walk\jog for 200 metres would do fine.

I ran these down in the good aul Rose Garden in St Anne's ( where I noticed last weekend, Raheny had a few people doing reps , good news spreads fast) , getting a little shelter from the strong wind on the coast.

Messed up the pace a little on a couple of these as it took me a while to get it right. Its been a while since I ran these and it showed! I struggled on a few but hung on in there and tried to keep my form good along the way.
    The lad sitting in his tractor in the middle of the Rose Garden had a great laugh watching me bounce around the "track" in the wind, he had a look of bemusement on his face every time I looked in at him - can't say I blame him.

Most of the splits were about right, some are too slow and one is too quick so I can't say I'm delighted with the session but its done now and the effort was there to make it a good workout ( I plan on building the number of reps right up over the next few months)

Reps:

1:25
    1:22
    1:25
    1:23
    1:20
    1:21
    1:19
    1:21

Funnily enough, I felt stronger over the second half of these than I did over the first

Total miles including warmup\cool-down: 6

• Advertisement

Friday

AM Early morning run to work - wind was the dominant factor yet again, blowing me backwards for the first couple of miles then easing up as I got closer to the City Centre. Feeling groggy on this one, I can't remember the last time I had a proper cold but the one I have now is starting to knock the stuffing out of me. 4 "easy" miles

PM - Run home from work, almost entirely with the wind which was as real blessing as I felt rough all day in the office. Did a good 20 minute session of core work afterwards along with some stretching.

8 miles for the day

Saturday

Plan was to get out for 8 easy miles with some steady sections if I felt up to it, to be honest, I barely felt up to the easy bit on this one ( which tells a story, this is generally my favourite run of the week), energy levels were low, head was busting towards the end so I called it a day at 6 easy miles.
    Developed a p*xy toothache later on in the day which is ANOTHER ailment I haven't had in years...dosing myself with drugs and resting up for a couple of days until I return from land of the zombie.

6 miles for the day

Not a great week this week but there's little point in running again until I feel up to it, I'll gain nothing and drag this on for longer than it needs to be.

Advertisement