Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confessions of a never has been.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Duanington wrote: »
    DCM Tang - hopefully pick up a good half along the way but DCM is the target now ( THERE...I've said it!)

Very best of luck with it, hope it goes well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

tang1 wrote: »
    Very best of luck with it, hope it goes well for you.

Cheers Tang, appreciate it

I've been off work for a few days, using up some holidays and hanging out with the clan a bit, today was a lot quieter than my other days off for some reason so I skipped out the door just after lunch to get my session in.

Today, the plan called for:
    10 miles steady ( 7.20 ish pace)

I've discovered a nice 10 mile loop which takes in Fairview park and St Anne's park so decided to give that a whirl today ( after a little corework to start off).

The wind was pretty strong throughout and made getting the pace right a bit tricky, it felt too quick at times and too slow at others ( pace wise, not effort wise though)

Felt great during 80% of this but tired a little towards the end, quads and calfs were carrying a littler residue from Sunday night's tempo I suspect - its also the farthest I've gone in a few weeks :o

Anyway, finished off with an easy mile and some work with the stick at home.

Feels good to be running sessions again :)

Plan had me down for 6 miles easy today ( again with no morning run) so I hopped, skipped and ran out the door at closing with the backpack onboard.

Quads felt a bit tight and almost sore for the first few miles but I really enjoyed the run this evening, the sun had come out and the breeze along the coast was refreshing ( maybe because it was behind me !)

Felt good so did a loop of St Anne's at the end to bring the total to 7.5 miles@8.20ish pace ( no watch)

Stretching and stickwork after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

DCM Tang - hopefully pick up a good half along the way but DCM is the target now ( THERE...I've said it!)

No going back now so... do you have a target time in mind, D? I looked back at your first post here and was amazed and delighted to see your first DCM time :) and your progression since!

• Advertisement

annapr wrote: »
    No going back now so... do you have a target time in mind, D? I looked back at your first post here and was amazed and delighted to see your first DCM time :) and your progression since!

No time in mind Anna - I'll train hard, see how the half marathons go along the way and make a call closer to the day. LOL - my first DCM seems like a lifetime ago but it was a day that dealt out a harsh lesson in how NOT to prepare :)

AM - Runmute to work, nice morning for it if a little warm. Took it nice and easy given that it was the first time running early with the backpack in quite a while.

4.2 miles easy peasy

PM - Run home after a mental day, a meeting that had been planned for 6.30 was canned thankfully so I bolted out the door ...then slowed down and ran easy for the rest of the journey home :-)

4.2 miles easy

Stick work and stretching afterwards, the legs are feeling good.

8.4 for the day

Up and at it early this morning for my easy run.

The wind was pretty strong out on the coast ( as per usual I suppose) so the first mile or so was a bit of a sluggish affair. Didn't sleep too well last night, or rather - I was awake far too early this morning!
    Felt a little jaded for most of this but took in my now standard loop of Fairview park and a little bit of St Anne's

8 miles @ 8.15 min\miles

Late night last night which involved a Fleetwood Mac concert, plenty of booze, another gig with two lads dressed as robots playing french electro\house, a snack box and a bad night's sleep - I never sleep well with drink taken which is one of the many reasons I don't drink often.

Tried to squeeze in an afternoon nap during the Leinster Final ( which really should have been the perfect backdrop to a leisurely snooze) but it didn't happen.

Got out late tonight for my steady session along coast - had company for a couple of miles which was nice and then tipped off on my own to finish it off, taking in some of the bumps and trails in St Anne's.

Solid if unspectacular session - 8 miles steady, 9.5 in total

8.25 pace (.6 mile)

No run again this morning and a busy day at the office was had so I was raring to go by the time I got out the door.

Headed for home along the coast, sticking to the grass - dropped off the backpack and headed off for a few more miles. ( had a bit more time on my hands than I expected)

Headed in towards St Anne's to take in the usual trails there, lots of football teams being put through their paces on the pitches which added to the atmosphere in the park.

Another enjoyable run followed by some pressups and stretching afterwards.

8.26 miles@ 8.10 min\miles

• Advertisement

LSR night tonight, thats right - Long SLOW Run.

Made a balls of this one, plain and simple.

I forgot to check the plan before heading out the door from work and couldn't remember if this was an easy run or a more steady paced type run.

With the backpack on board and my strapless Garmin in hand ( poxy strap broke off earlier :mad:), I headed off out the door at a slightly quicker effort than normal - the backpack slows things down a tad but I took a chance that today's run was the steadyish paced one. ( 7.35 ish min\miles) and kept the effort levels at around that ( adding 20-30 seconds per mile on to allow for the backpack)

Dropped the backpack off at home, legged it back out the door and carried on up to Baldoyle, into Donaghmede and into Raheny then St Anne's to finish.
    No real problem with the pace but I did tire noticeably towards the end, I could really feel the quads working.

It felt nice to finish this on the soft pitches in St Anne's, had a nice lie down for myself for a few minutes too before taking in another .5 mile and some stretching\stick work.

Checked the plan and realised I'd ran the wrong session - it was due to be 14 miles easy :o

4.10 (.5 mile)

14.5 miles for the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

What type of Garmin have you got- reason I ask is that strap came off my forerunner 10 and managed to fix it by using a paperclip instead of the bar thingy and it worked a treat (was channelling my inner McGyver:))

Tom Joad wrote: »
    What type of Garmin have you got- reason I ask is that strap came off my forerunner 10 and managed to fix it by using a paperclip instead of the bar thingy and it worked a treat (was channelling my inner McGyver:))

Hmm, that might work TJ - I've a forerunner 10 too but I think the strap has just ripped off as opposed to come away anywhere like that. I'll certainly give it a go though, thanks!

Hmm, that might work TJ - I've a forerunner 10 too but I think the strap has just ripped off as opposed to come away anywhere like that. I'll certainly give it a go though, thanks!

Actually, yep - I think that'll do the trick TJ, I'll be raiding the stationary cabinet tomorrow

Actually, yep - I think that'll do the trick TJ, I'll be raiding the stationary cabinet tomorrow

Make sure you twist it and turn it back in rather than having the sharp ends of the paper clip sticking out. I had to rip a top before I learned that lesson.

AM - 4 miles recovery. Took it very handy on the way into work today, kept the pace right down and actually enjoyed the run despite the delicate quads.

PM - 6 miles easy. After eating very well throughout the day and raiding the stationary cabinet to use Tom Joad's genius fix for my watch, I got on my way home in the sunshine.

I left the backpack on for the duration of this, rather than skipping off the main road and dropping it home - this was purely to save time as I had to head off out this evening.

Lots of rolling with the stick and some stretching afterwards.

Total for the day: 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Make sure you twist it and turn it back in rather than having the sharp ends of the paper clip sticking out. I had to rip a top before I learned that lesson.

Feckin Cavan MacGyver :)

TbL

Feckin Cavan MacGyver :)

TbL

Too feckin mean to buy a new garmin more like ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Too feckin mean to buy a new garmin more like ;)

Don't worry TJ we had all read that between the lines :D

Thursday - no running but a good core session ( running specific\injury prevention stuff + my usual junk) and some weights

Friday

AM - 4.1 miles into the howling gale as I made my way to work. Twas a bit farcical at times with the wind blowing me backwards!
    Glutes were feeling the effects of some of the odd looking exercises contained in yesterday's session

PM - 4.1 miles in the lashing rain and driving wind - I love summer :(
    Actually it was more like 2.6 miles in the rain and wind, the last 1.5 miles were in glorious sunshine and by the time I got home I had a hard time convincing anyone there had been a drop of rain en route.

Stick work and stretching in the evening - 8.2 for the day

• Advertisement

Plan for today was a 9 mile progression

4 easy
    3 steady
    2@mp

Couldn't get out during my usual Saturday morning running slot so I had to make do with a mid-day opportunity...in the warmth and the wind :mad:

Headed off towards my usual Saturday route, towards Fairview park...the wind was pretty strong which made the pace hard to get right so I just focused on effort for the first bit. Got around Fairview park and had the wind blowing across me rather than into me which was a relief but I was feeling the heat a little bit too much for comfort.

Made my way back towards St Anne's during the steady section and tried out the new pathway they've put through the trees at the corner near the causeway - great feeling running on freshly laid tarmac :)

Found myself in a pretty exposed section of the park just as the MP section started, meaning that I probably pushed the effort out a bit too much on account of the wind...did a 1 mile loop along the park run route to finish (with the wind at my back) and had a little lie down on the grass for a minute or two.

1 mile easy to finish off a tougher than expected session :o

Plenty of stretching and core work at home after

10 miles for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

You must have been post run (in the gear) by the noodle place at the bull wall - I waved at you from the bus, but alas you didn't see me. Or chose to ignore me :)

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    You must have been post run (in the gear) by the noodle place at the bull wall - I waved at you from the bus, but alas you didn't see me. Or chose to ignore me :)

I was heading in to get a bit of peanut butter !

Sorry Laura :o:o - I had a txt from someone else saying the exact same thing (they were in a car)! Deffo didn't ignore you though, even if it would have been perfect revenge for calling a me a tosser all those months ago :)

Plan for today was a 9 mile progression

4 easy
    3 steady
    2@mp

Couldn't get out during my usual Saturday morning running slot so I had to make do with a mid-day opportunity...in the warmth and the wind :mad:

Headed off towards my usual Saturday route, towards Fairview park...the wind was pretty strong which made the pace hard to get right so I just focused on effort for the first bit. Got around Fairview park and had the wind blowing across me rather than into me which was a relief but I was feeling the heat a little bit too much for comfort.

Made my way back towards St Anne's during the steady section and tried out the new pathway they've put through the trees at the corner near the causeway - great feeling running on freshly laid tarmac :)

Found myself in a pretty exposed section of the park just as the MP section started, meaning that I probably pushed the effort out a bit too much on account of the wind...did a 1 mile loop along the park run route to finish (with the wind at my back) and had a little lie down on the grass for a minute or two.

1 mile easy to finish off a tougher than expected session :o

Plenty of stretching and core work at home after

10 miles for the day

Thought you had no target in mind yet for DCM, D....looks very like sub 3 to me ;)

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Thought you had no target in mind yet for DCM, D....looks very like sub 3 to me ;)

eagle eyes M - however, you'll also note that I said I overcooked the effort during the MP section :P

eagle eyes M - however, you'll also note that I said I overcooked the effort during the MP section :P

Yeah. I just wrote that off to sandbagging :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

perfect revenge for calling a me a tosser all those months ago :)

Fair is fair I suppose.

Ah the power of selective quoting :)

Busy day today with the family which meant it was very late before I got out for my easy run. Perfect evening for it really, mild, calm and quite a few people out and about on the coast.

Have to say, I enjoyed every step of this and would have gone on for a few more if I had time to, took in my usual loop of Fairview Park before heading up towards Raheny and back down to CLontarf.

Stretching\stick work after

8 miles@ 8.15 min\miles

AM - Had a few things to sort out at home before hitting the road for work this morning. First Monday morning running to work in a while and I was late :o

Still managed to keep the pace nice and easy though, wind was a bitch as always on the coast.

4.1 miles

PM - Ate really well today, trying to get into a fairly strict routine in this regard. While I'm pretty good anyway, I do tend to slack a little on the veggie front when the opportunity presents itself. Hit the road for home just after 6, the heat was pretty intense from about halfway onwards, dropped the backpack off at home and headed towards St Anne's for a few more easy miles.

Plenty of friendly running groups out this evening enjoying the sun.

6.6 miles easy

Stick work, stretching and chin ups afterwards

10.7 for the day

• Advertisement

Tuesday

No AM run on account of a scheduled session:

12 miles steady ( 7.25-7.45 range)

Usual mental day at the office had left me a little drained and not particularly looking forward to this one, got the gear on and headed off for a .5 mile easy to warm up.

With the backpack on, I always allow myself a 15 second cushion to allow for the extra weight so I worked on an effort basis for the first few miles, largely ignoring the watch, dropped the backpack off at home and shot back out the door to carry on up the coast road.

Enjoyed the route, the weather and the run ( mostly)...I started to feel the effort in my legs over the last 2 miles and tired noticeably over the last mile.

Took in an easy mile in St Anne's to finish up a good session

.5 mile (8.10 pace)

13.5 for the day

Advertisement