Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confessions of a never has been.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Wednesday

Plan for today was 4 miles recovery and 6 miles easy in the PM .

A last minute work trip to London meant an early start this morning and ruled any chance of getting a run in. A day full of meetings and ramming food down my gob at every given chance was followed by a dash to the airport - no time to eat at the airport either so I had a manky toasted sambo on the plane.

Got back to the house around 9 and headed straight out the door for my 6 easy miles, stuffed my face with some chilli con carne when I got back :-)

6 miles @ 8.12 min\miles

Lunchtime core\weights session today followed by 4 recovery paced miles.

Beautiful day for it out there, one of those days when you wish you had a 10 miler planned !

Decided against running the RnR half on the bank holiday weekend, could have squeezed it in but it would have disrupted things a little.

4 miles@ 8.47

AM - Normal run into work, legs felt great and the hassle I had with the achilles a few weeks back seems like a distant memory now thankfully.
    Nice morning for a run, sunny but a nice cool breeze to keep the temperature down.

4.1 miles easy

PM - Run home after a busy day at work, kept the effort right down even though I spent much of the run dodging buses and concert goers on their way to the Ed Sheeran gig. (Seems like a nice bloke but I don't get the fuss?)

Dropped the backpack off at home then tagged on a couple more easy miles.

6.1 miles

Stretching, stick work and a light core session this evening.

10.2 for the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Duanington wrote: »

AM - Normal run into work, legs felt great and the hassle I had with the achilles a few weeks back seems like a distant memory now thankfully.
    Nice morning for a run, sunny but a nice cool breeze to keep the temperature down.

4.1 miles easy

PM - Run home after a busy day at work, kept the effort right down even though I spent much of the run dodging buses and concert goers on their way to the Ed Sheeran gig. (Seems like a nice bloke but I don't get the fuss?)

Dropped the backpack off at home then tagged on a couple more easy miles.

6.1 miles

Stretching, stick work and a light core session this evening.

10.2 for the day

Think we might have passed you on the seafront around 6:20? Myself and Murph were going towards Fairview.. and if it was you, you gave us a wave?

annapr wrote: »
    Think we might have passed you on the seafront around 6:20? Myself and Murph were going towards Fairview.. and if it was you, you gave us a wave?

That was probably me alright Anna, your friendly neighborhood jogger :-)

• Advertisement

Nice sleep last night but when the alarm went off to get me up and out for this morning's session, I was tempted to throw the phone at the wall and get back to sleep.

Eventually I snapped out of it, had a tiny bit of porridge and waited a few minutes to settle before heading out.

Today's session was:

2 mile warmup, 5x1 miles at 10k pace ( 3 min jogged recovery), 2 miles warm down.
    (Target pace = 6.05-6.15)

The truth is I was dreading this session all week, knowing that it would be the first time that I've done reps or even 10k paced work in quite some time :o

Got the warm up done into the wind on the coast, legs felt fine but I felt tired and sleepy, maybe a little better towards the end. Lots of people out running this morning again, a sure sign that the race series is in full swing.

Got started on the first rep, heading off towards Fairview - I kept an eye on the watch for the first bit seeing as I am way out of touch with the pace, once I saw a consistent number, I switched off from the watch and concentrated on good form and breathing.
    First rep done and dusted and within range, I took every send out of the 3 minute jogged recovery and got on with the rest of the session along the coast.
    All reps went to plan, even if I did make a bags of the lap function on the watch once or twice.

The last rep was a killer, a real mental test to keep going right to the end. I had to grit it out big time which was disappointing at the time but I suppose its the making of a really good session.

Had a lie down in the grass at the end before enjoying the 2 miles easy to finish up

10.2 miles for the day , stretching, stickwork and pressups later in the day - tough session but hopefully it brings me on a little

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

That was probably me alright Anna, your friendly neighborhood jogger :-)

I knew we would cross paths eventually! It was the backpack that gave you away :)

I spend so much time saying to people around me that there is no place like Dublin city in summer. the buzz, the streets, the greenery in a big city and the jaysusin rain :(

After a day of hiding out from the rain and the wind, I seemed to time my run just about perfectly well, getting out around 8 bells or so, while there were plenty of scary looking skies on the horizon, they were keeping themselves just out of reach which made for perfect running conditions.

Took in my lap of Fairview park and a small loop in St Anne's to bring the total to 8 miles. I felt surprisingly fresh all through this one, bar a slight tightness in my hamstrings ( they're probably still in shock after yesterday's session).

Stretching, core work and stick work after wards

8 miles@ 8.07 min\miles
    62.6 miles for the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Lovely session, nicely nailed yesterday DD.

TbL

Lovely session, nicely nailed yesterday DD.

TbL

Thanks C - you'll be back at it yourself once you get out of the sun.

• Advertisement

Plan today was for 4 miles AM and 7 miles PM

AM - usual Monday morning run into work, the weather was a bit $hite but the run itself was actually quite pleasant. Kept the effort down to somewhere around 8.20\8.25 pace ( no watch)

PM - Packed up and left the office around 6.20, taking in a serious downpour as I left the city centre, it eased of fairly quickly though and the light drizzle for the rest of the run made for nice conditions for running.
    Dropped off the backpack after 4.1 miles and headed on for to finish the run in St Anne's. Had a bit more time than I thought I would have so I just enjoyed the silence in the park and took in an extra mile ( approx....no watch again)

8 miles

12.1 for the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Nice session on Saturday - that's a real toughie.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Nice session on Saturday - that's a real toughie.

I was just posting the same on your thread TJ - you made it look easy though !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Plan today was for 4 miles AM and 7 miles PM

AM - usual Monday morning run into work, the weather was a bit $hite but the run itself was actually quite pleasant. Kept the effort down to somewhere around 8.20\8.25 pace ( no watch)

PM - Packed up and left the office around 6.20, taking in a serious downpour as I left the city centre, it eased of fairly quickly though and the light drizzle for the rest of the run made for nice conditions for running.
    Dropped off the backpack after 4.1 miles and headed on for to finish the run in St Anne's. Had a bit more time than I thought I would have so I just enjoyed the silence in the park and took in an extra mile ( approx....no watch again)

8 miles

12.1 for the day

Started in the same downpour myself yesterday evening. Refreshing:)

Planned session tonight was 13 miles steady (7.25-7.45)

Got going straight after work with the backpack onboard and with no real time for a warmup I went straight into the steady "zone" while allowing 15 seconds or so for the weight of the backpack.

The weather was pretty miserable all the way home with the heavens really opening just as I flew into the house to dump the backpack.

Headed off towards Howth, turned in at Baldoyle, up into Donaghmede taking in some good drags and bumps as I made my way into Raheny.

Finished up in St Anne's and ran a nice easy mile home.

Good session, felt strong throughout and tired without being fooked at the end.

Some light corework and stretching after

14 miles for the day

Planned session tonight was 13 miles steady (7.25-7.45)

Got going straight after work with the backpack onboard and with no real time for a warmup I went straight into the steady "zone" while allowing 15 seconds or so for the weight of the backpack.

The weather was pretty miserable all the way home with the heavens really opening just as I flew into the house to dump the backpack.

Headed off towards Howth, turned in at Baldoyle, up into Donaghmede taking in some good drags and bumps as I made my way into Raheny.

Finished up in St Anne's and ran a nice easy mile home.

Good session, felt strong throughout and tired without being fooked at the end.

Some light corework and stretching after

14 miles for the day

Good solid run there, D. Looks like we did a lot the same miles at very similar paces last night. I will be doing 14/15 miles MLRs on Tuesday's for the next 8 weeks or so. If you are on a similar schedule and are interested in linking up for some of them drop me a PM.

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Good solid run there, D. Looks like we did a lot the same miles at very similar paces last night. I will be doing 14/15 miles MLRs on Tuesday's for the next 8 weeks or so. If you are on a similar schedule and are interested in linking up for some of them drop me a PM.

Sounds good to me M - pretty sure I could do with the company as these get that bit longer

Wednesday

AM - 4 miles (recovery pace) into work, kept the effort right down and just allowed myself to relax completely on this one.
    Felt stiff enough to start with the be honest but by the end I was feeling good and ready for a day in the office

PM - 7 miles easy, headed off at a reasonable hour, kept the pace down again but more easy paced than recovery, dropped the backpack off at the house and headed off around the back of St Anne's to get in the extra few miles.

11 miles for the day

Thursday

schedule had me down for 4 more recovery miles and I got out at lunch time on the grass on the coast for a very enjoyable jaunt. I actually drifted off into a daydream for most of this one, really enjoying these recovery runs to be honest, it feels a bit like sleeprunning !

Core work and stretching after

4 miles for the day

Friday

AM - 4 miles easy into work, usual script, pace nice and easy which is making these runs into work very enjoyable. Packed a lighter backpack which possibly made this so enjoyable.

4.1 miles

PM - Run home from work, was a little getting out of work than I had hoped which left me a little tight for time, I resisted that familiar urge to up the pace to get home quicker and just kept the pace down...accepting that I'd be maybe 4 minutes later home than I would if I upped the pace :rolleyes:

Tagged on a few extra miles in St Anne's to bring the total to 7

11 miles for the day

Saturday

Session day today and the only change I had to get out was at around 5 o'clock when both sun and wind seemed to be at their highest for the day.

Plan called for

2 miles easy
    4k@mp
    3k@hmp
    3k@hmp
    1k@10k
    2 miles easy

( 2 miles easy between sets)

Had no idea how these paces translated into kilometres so I did the maths at home and scribbled the various paces onto my hand just in case!
    Did my warm up on the grass on the coast and got started into the breeze for the MP section, lapping Fairview park and coming back up the coast towards Clontarf, felt good throughout all of this section, maybe a little fatiqued on the last k.

After the 2 minute easy recovery, I got started on the first hmp section, heading off towards St Anne's, the first k was a bit of an effort but I settled in nicely and felt strong at the end.

Another easy 2 minutes and I got stuck into the 2nd HMP section, heading into St Anne's this time, taking in the trails and tracks towards the back of the park and finishing into the wind on the Avenue - fairly tired at the end of this.

2 minutes easy then into the 10k paced k, used the grass for all of this, running down towards the sand based pitches and lapping them a couple of times, pushed hard during this section and had to work to keep it going towards the end, although it was never really in doubt to be fair.

Ran 2 miles easy towards home and got in a monster feed and lots of rolling with the stick, looking back at the splits, the HMP and 10k stuff was maybe a paced a bit too hot but overall I have to be happy with the session

11.5 for the day

.................. looking back at the splits, the HMP and 10k stuff was maybe a paced a bit too hot but overall I have to be happy with the session

Nice one, D, looks like a decent session from here but if you give us the paces in old money we can then comment properly ;)

• Advertisement

Nice one, D, looks like a decent session from here but if you give us the paces in old money we can then comment properly ;)

Jaysus M - it took me an hour to figure them out in Ks to scribble on my hand and now you want them converted back??! Mr Garmin says...

MP split paces

HMP split paces
    Section 1

HMP split paces
    Section 2

10k split pace
    5.51 :o

Nice MP and savage 10k plans ahead I see ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

What marathon plan you following? Or have you incorporated the km's session into your DIY plan? Nice splits for the faster sections in the session.

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    What marathon plan you following? Or have you incorporated the km's session into your DIY plan? Nice splits for the faster sections in the session.

Howdie Bulmers - I can't claim this one to be my own work, I'm lucky enough to have someone who knows a lot more about this stuff than me helping me out with the sessions\schedule.

Thanks - the 10k split was too fast but happy with the rest alright :)

Sunday

Despite having plenty of opportunities to get out during the day for this, I declined the chance until it was almost to late to run !

Did my usual coast road, Fairview Park, St Anne's route to take in 8 easy miles. legs were creaking a little at the start but I was enjoying the run by the end

8 Miles@ 8.15

Monday

A quick turnaround was needed for this one on account of a wedding in the shticks at lunchtime so I was up and out by 8 am, took a few miles for the legs to mellow out but the conditions were nice and as with the previous run, I was really enjoying myself up to the end

8 miles@ 8.20

Tuesday

Change of the usual routine this week meant that today's run was a 4 mile recovery session - I almost cried in relief when I realised this, having spent the day on the beer yesterday ( although I did take on plenty of water too :o) - waited until later in the evening to get this in and again, really enjoyed the run - had the eldest with me for company too for most of it.

4 miles@ 9ish min\miles

Howdie Bulmers - I can't claim this one to be my own work, I'm lucky enough to have someone who knows a lot more about this stuff than me helping me out with the sessions\schedule.

Thanks - the 10k split was too fast but happy with the rest alright :)

So who is the secret weapon, D? Do we know him or her?

So who is the secret weapon, D? Do we know him or her?

ha ha - hardly a secret weapon now M, while he knows his stuff, he's stuck with me as the subject matter ! Yes, I believe he frequents these parts alright, I see the odd post floating around these days :-)

Duanington wrote:
    while he knows his stuff

Not TbL so ;)

So he has to work with a lean tall 100% committed bouncy runner who does core work for fun....must be tough for him alright :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Not TbL so ;)

So he has to work with a lean tall 100% committed bouncy runner who does core work for fun....must be tough for him alright :D

How did you guess FBOT!!!

DD, your session tomorrow is 16 x 1 mile reps at 5k pace off 4 seconds recovery with a 19 mile cool down jog. Don't forget the hour of core afterwards!

Coach TbL

• Advertisement

Not TbL so ;)

ha ha - you make it sound so easy for him ! We'll see how bouncy I am after 26.2 miles in October :)

Advertisement