Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confessions of a never has been.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

6 miles easy today, dodged the rain after work thankfully - sometimes working late has its benefits!

Legs felt good today, really enjoyed the run...tagged on the extra bit in St Anne's as usual.

No extras in the evening, just a bit of stretching

6 miles @ 8.15 min\miles

Session night tonight meant no run this morning so I got the bus with the young one this morning who was heading to school.....and she wasn't even too mortified to be seen in public with me :cool:

Planned session tonight was for a 16 mile progression:
    7 easy
    6 steady
    3 MP

After a crazy day at the office, I put the gear on and got out just in time for a downpour which soaked me to the bone within 30 seconds, of course the sun came out 5 minutes later which had me dried off by the time I got home - quickly dropped the backpack off and carried on with my run.

I ran my usual long run route for this, coast road, Baldoyle, Donaghmede, Raheny then down to Killester , Farview and back up the coast to home.

The easy section was..well, easy. The steady section was steady...right up until the last mile when I started to feel the pinch a little and the MP section was actually fun ( for a bit!). I had a rolling start here though to be fair, the first .5 mile was slightly downhill.

I was struck by how strong I felt during the MP section, while I was definitely working hard to keep the pace, I always felt I was well able to do that.

A very tough session but one that feels like a little bit of an achievement at the same time

17 miles for the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Very consistent paces there - nice work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

You're flying D, great stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Nice work D

• Advertisement

Plan today was for 4 miles recovery + 6 miles easy.

I slept like the dead last night so felt quite refreshed this morning when I woke ( earlier than usual too).

Got the gear on, loaded the backpack and headed out into the chilled morning, summer never really happened!

Legs felt fine this morning, obviously I kept the pace down and I enjoyed the leisurely nature of the run.

4 miles @ something like 8.50 min\miles ( no watch)

After a hard day at the office, I got the gear back on and headed off for home, the legs were a bit creaky this time around though.

Tagged on a couple of miles in St Anne's as usual to bring the total to 6

10 miles for the day

Thursday

AM

Plan for today was for 5+7 but with a little more time than expected around lunch I got some weights in , a bit of core-work and headed out for the 7 easy miles.

I used the trails around St Anne's for this one, talking to a few people that run in the area recently and each of them made a point of saying how they are bored of the park - have to say, I love it!

7 miles@8.10 min/miles

PM - very late getting out for this so I was tired and a little lethargic for the first few miles, down to fairview and back

5 miles@8.05

12 for the day

Friday

AM - Runmute to work with an extra mile thrown in to make the 5 up. Nice run, took a little while to wake the senses up though.

5miles@ 8.15

PM - busy day at work but got out on time and hit the road with the backpack on. Legs felt the weight of the backpack for the first time in a while so I dropped it off at 4 miles and tipped along through St Anne's to make up the 7.

7 miles@ 8.15

12 for the day

Saturday

Session morning and the plan called for :

1 mile easy, 8 miles @ 6.50\7.15 ( alternating), 1 mile easy

Got up stupid early to have this done before the kids woke and headed out along the coast to warm the legs up. The 1st mile shot through and off I headed around Fariview park for the first 6.50 section, which was a little blowy for my liking ( although it was stupid early!).
    The 7.15 sections all felt nice and controlled and despite overcooking the pace\effort a few times during the 6.50 sections, I reigned things in and stayed strong and comfortable for the most part.

Good session, tough but not a real lungbuster.

Some good stretching and work on the pull-up bar later after watching the Dubs :-) #COYBIB

10 for the day

Sunday

Nice chilled out day today, ate well, felt nice and well rested by the time I got out tonight for 5 easy miles. Straightforward route as always, down to Fairview and back, legs felt good - maybe a little bit of a pinch towards the end.

5 miles@ 8.05 min\miles

No run this morning, hopped on the bus and brought the gear to work. Verrry quiet today on account of the US being off which made for a strangely tiring day!

Runmute home was uneventful, legs felt good - enjoyed the run.

6 miles @ 8.15 min\miles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Duanington wrote: »

No run this morning, hopped on the bus and brought the gear to work. Verrry quiet today on account of the US being off which made for a strangely tiring day!

Runmute home was uneventful, legs felt good - enjoyed the run.

6 miles @ 8.15 min\miles

I think I like US holidays just as much as our own!

I think I like US holidays just as much as our own!

They're awesome :cool:

• Advertisement

Back to session night tonight, LSR time - 20 miles easy

I had looked forward to this all day so I was out the door like a flash at closing with the backpack loaded up.
    I always, always find any run over 2 hours a little daunting and a bit of a mental challenge so I was keen to get this one in the bag and break the back on the really long stuff.
    Dropped the backpack off after 4 miles and headed into St Anne's to do 2 laps - the park was pretty busy so this kept the mind busy and helped pass the time a little. Left the park on 14 miles and headed up the coast, turning up onto the Kilbarrack road, then into Raheny and home. Not a tough route but enough bumps and trails along the way to keep things honest.

Delighted to have this in the bag, struggled a little around halfway for some reason but finished feeling great which is promising

20 miles for the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Nice pacing there. Good last few miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Nice one to have in the bag indeed. Good solid run, D.

catch up time

Wednesday

AM - Nice easy run into to work, usual route along the seafront and through east wall. Legs felt ok following the previous night's session

4.1 miles @ 8.40ish pace

PM - Run home from work, legs felt a little tighter than earlier in the day but only really towards the end when I could feel the weight from the backpack

6.1 miles@ 8.20 min\miles

Thursday

AM - Down to St Anne's to get in 7.5 easy miles around the trails there. I love running trails, so much more interesting than boring grey concrete! Felt very tired starting off this one and great at the end

7.5 miles@8.05 min\miles then core work and weights

PM - Very late getting out for this one but felt great, lovely night for running in fairness

4.5 miles@ 8 min\miles

Friday

5 miles easy but I can't remember if I ran to or from work - took it handy either way !

Saturday

Supposed to run the Athlone half but a call from work in the wee hours out that idea to bed. Settled for 6 easy miles instead. Chin up work and stretching after

6 miles @ 8 min\miles

Sunday

Had to change things around to squeeze in a session instead of the half. Plan called for:
    2 miles easy, 4k (HM), 3k (HM), 2k (10k), 1k (10k) 400 jog rec, 2 miles easy

Ran this in a pretty strong wind up and down the coast road. Apart from a stitch on the 10k paced section, I felt good. Took an age to figure out the right paces in KMs as I had them in miles in my head so I messed up a couple at the start. Tough enough workout which had me blowing hard at times

8.05 min\miles
    8.00 min\miles
    4km set@hmp (pace)

3km@hmp (pace)

2k@10k (pace)

1k@10k (pace)

8.20 min\miles
    8.20 min\miles

70+ miles for the week

Monday

6 miles easy after work, took it handy - 8.20 min\miles

Stretching and pressups later ( after reading Krusty's log!)

Tonight

Back to Long run night - my least favourite but possibly most rewarding night of the week recently.

Plan was for: 17 miles with 4,3,2,1 at MP ( 1 mile easy between)

Got the bus home for the first time in ages to avoid having to run any MP stuff with the backpack, quick change and headed off towards Fairview park along the coast, looping the park, heading back up the coast and back inland along my usual route - plenty of bumps and drags over the 2nd half.

Felt very strong through all of the MP sections, so much so that I overcooked the pace on quite a few. I was monitoring the watch over the first set but switched off a little then and tried to just enjoy the pace - which I genuinely did, relaxed and working hard but staying in a good rhythm, not overworking things.

Found the restart after each easy mile tricky enough but got going pretty quickly each time.
    Last MP mile was tough on the legs but it was never in doubt really.

Finished off lapping the GAA pitches in St Anne's

17 miles in total, 6.39 will most definitely NOT be my MP pace though :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Some seriously decent training there D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Nice!

Wednesday

AM - 4 ( 4.1) recovery miles into work, legs felt fine on the grass but I do keep the pace way down on these. No watch but I would guess 8.45+ min\miles

PM - Runmute home from work and the legs felt narky compared to earlier, once again I could feel the weight of the backpack over the 2nd half. Tagged on a couple of miles in St Anne's to bring the total to 6.2 ( 8.15 ish min\miles)

Stretching and pressups later

10.3 for the day

Thursday

AM - working from home and took an early lunch break to head out for my run, headed up the coast and into St Anne's to finish. Nice run in the end, felt a lot more lucid at the end than I did at the start, its a strange thing - legs are constantly tired but completing runs is never an issue, there's just a general tired feeling around the legs.

Core work later in the day

8.4 miles@ 8.05 min\miles

PM - late getting out for this one but it was a perfect night for running and I enjoyed every step, kept it on the grass for the majority

4.1 miles

12.5 for the day

Friday

No run in the AM, 7 easy in the PM, kept it all easy and had the backpack on to keep things honest anyway. I love running home from work on a Friday, there's always an enhanced sense of freedom about it!

7 miles @ 8.15 min\miles

Saturday

Up very early to get this morning's session done, had a quick sip of water and headed out the door.

Plan for today was:

2 miles easy,
    1 mile@mp - 1 min recovery
    1 mile@ hmp - 2min recovery
    1 mile@ hmp - 2min recovery
    2 miles easy

I had to write this one on my hand because I was pretty sure I'd mess it up otherwise. Used my usual lap of Fairview and the coast road to get this done, there was a slight wind but nothing that would really make things easier or more difficult to be honest.

Felt good most of the way through this one, the MP sections felt controlled while the HMP sections took a good bit more work, the 1 min recoveries were all at easy pace and felt delightful !
    The last HMP and MP miles were tough enough, my legs were pretty fatiqued at that stage with my quads in particular complaining - tried to relax through the discomfort and it worked a treat :)

Some of the splits were a little hot but still happy with the session

12 miles in total ( with recoveries included)

Stretching, corework and chinups later - and a super game of rugby or two...g'wan Japan !!!

Sunday

AM - out in the rain for 7 easy miles, no real soreness from the previous day's session but a fair bit of tightness in the quads.

PM - 5 easy miles late Sunday night, spent the day watching sport ( COYBIB) and eating but had a few things to do after which meant I was late getting out.

5 easy miles, 12 for the day

stretching and stick work after

Monday

Run home from work with the backpack on, 6 easy miles. Enjoyable run - legs a little tired blah blah blah, change the record D, you're training for a marathon.

6 miles @ 8.15 min\miles

PRessups after

Tuesday

Tuesday session nights seem to be rolling around quicker and quicker each week. The plan for tonight was for a 19 mile progression run, 8 easy, 7 steady and 4 @ MP

I can't say I was looking forward to this one at all, tough day at the office coupled with the usual pre long run trepidation that I get left me feeling a little less than confident at home time.
    Nonetheless I got the gear on and headed for home, enjoying the easy pace and dropping the backpack off at 4 miles or so. Took in a lap of St Anne's and started the steady section just as I was leaving the park.
    Up the coast, into Baldoyle and Donaghmede and once I got into Raheny it was time to start the MP section.
    It took me a little more effort than I would have liked to get the pace down but I actually enjoyed the first mile or so, heading towards Killester and Fairview, after that though it really felt like tough work. I had to keep the legs turning over well to maintain the pace and once I turned back onto the coast road, I tried to relax into a nice rhythm , trying to enjoy the session :eek:

Can't say the last few miles were easy but I worked through the discomfort and got it done, finishing off with a mini warm down before inhaling a giant smoothie when I got in the door

Another tough session done and dusted

"8.30
    8.45(pace - .7 mile)

19.7 miles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Great session D.

Could you not have found another 0.3 of a mile :)

TbL

Great session D.

Could you not have found another 0.3 of a mile :)

TbL

I wouldn't have done the .7 if I had gotten the route right C! I had hoped to finish at the house so could fall in the door

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

That's a good looking set of numbers, nice session. Impressed!

Wednesday

AM - early morning trudge into work, although I do enjoy this recovery run in fairness. Pace nice and easy , think the weather was ok too.
    As usual, kept it on the grass as much as I could

4.1 miles@ 8.45 ish

PM - Run home from work, backpack felt heavy - legs tired towards the end but still felt ok for the most part.
    Pressups and stretching afterwards

10.2 for the day

Thursday

AM - got out just before lunch for 8 easy miles around the trails in St Anne's as usual. Love this route, love the smell, the texture of the trails and the fresh air . Legs felt ok, usual tiredness that is just constant at the moment and maybe a little left overs from Tuesday's session made an appearance in the quads towards the end
    8 miles@ 8.05 min\miles

PM - Late out for 4 easy miles, nice night for it - up and down the grass verge on the coast.

4 miles @ 8.10 min\miles

Friday

AM - out early for 5 easy miles, taking in the extra mile before heading on my way to work. Lovely run, lovely morning for it

5 miles@ 8.15 min\miles

PM - Crazy day at the office and I was glad to get out the door at 6 bells, I'm really trying to eat well at the moment and by well I mean enough because I am constantly hungry, I felt the benefits of this on the way home on this run, felt well fueled and enjoyed it.
    7 miles@ 8.15 min\miles

12 for the day

Saturday

Planned session: 12 miles with 8@mp ( 6.45-7.00 )
    Had the alarm set early to get up and get this done but somehow fell back asleep after the alarm went off and when I woke, I felt groggy, tired and sore. After getting some porridge and a cup of tea into me, I sat around for maybe 45 minutes to let it settle before heading out the door to start hobbling down the coast road.
    The first thing I noticed was the strong breeze, great...then the sun, deadly :(

I wasn't feeling the love for this by the end of the warm up but I got on with things anyway, heading off to lap Fairview Park - pretty sure I got a shout out from a joyriding boardsie on the way, couldn't quite see who it was but the voice sounded familiar alright, apologies P ( if it was you?) I was in shock at how tired I was feeling and it took a few seconds for things to register!

Got the first couple of miles out of the way ok and then turned into the wind for the next few, I really was dreading this bit and it felt as tough as I had feared, again and again I had to remind myself to relax and stop working too hard against the wind. Tipped on along the coast and was relieved to get out of the wind as I turned in at Kilbarrack - straight into the long drag there, which really tested the mental resolve I have to admit, left turn at the top, ran hard along the bumpy route and I finished up in Raheny.

Tough, tough session and I can't put my finger on why, maybe the wind, the relative warmth, the route, too much sleep (:confused:) or maybe this is how it is when you are running sessions towards the end of marathon training? Either way, it felt like a real test and I was glad to tough it out to the end.

12 miles for the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Solid session Double D, you hit the splits while feeling tired, that's gotta be a positive.

TbL

Solid session Double D, you hit the splits while feeling tired, that's gotta be a positive.

TbL

Thanks C - don't get me wrong, deffo delighted to get it done and to have hung on in there. Mental training as much as physical :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

pretty sure I got a shout out from a joyriding boardsie on the way, couldn't quite see who it was but the voice sounded familiar alright, apologies P ( if it was you?)

Yeah, that was me on my way back from St Anne's parkrun. Great stuff lately, you're flying. Looking forward to seeing how you get on in the DCM. I'll be out supporting on the 26th to return last year's favour ;)

I had hoped to get out early this morning to get my run in but a busy house ended that plan as soon as I woke this morning so I wrote the idea off until later this evening. I did get in some decent stretching and core-work however which had me feeling nice and energetic by the time I was heading out to run.

Perfect evening for running, the bright moon, the quiet sea, the light breeze - beautiful stuff altogether, could have gone on and on if I had time.

Took in my usual 6 mile loop and felt nice and refreshed by the end

6.1 miles @ 8.05 min\miles

Just shy of 78 miles for the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Wednesday

AM - early morning trudge into work, although I do enjoy this recovery run in fairness. Pace nice and easy , think the weather was ok too.
    As usual, kept it on the grass as much as I could

4.1 miles@ 8.45 ish

PM - Run home from work, backpack felt heavy - legs tired towards the end but still felt ok for the most part.
    Pressups and stretching afterwards

10.2 for the day

Thursday

AM - got out just before lunch for 8 easy miles around the trails in St Anne's as usual. Love this route, love the smell, the texture of the trails and the fresh air . Legs felt ok, usual tiredness that is just constant at the moment and maybe a little left overs from Tuesday's session made an appearance in the quads towards the end
    8 miles@ 8.05 min\miles

PM - Late out for 4 easy miles, nice night for it - up and down the grass verge on the coast.

4 miles @ 8.10 min\miles

Friday

AM - out early for 5 easy miles, taking in the extra mile before heading on my way to work. Lovely run, lovely morning for it

5 miles@ 8.15 min\miles

PM - Crazy day at the office and I was glad to get out the door at 6 bells, I'm really trying to eat well at the moment and by well I mean enough because I am constantly hungry, I felt the benefits of this on the way home on this run, felt well fueled and enjoyed it.
    7 miles@ 8.15 min\miles

12 for the day

Saturday

Planned session: 12 miles with 8@mp ( 6.45-7.00 )
    Had the alarm set early to get up and get this done but somehow fell back asleep after the alarm went off and when I woke, I felt groggy, tired and sore. After getting some porridge and a cup of tea into me, I sat around for maybe 45 minutes to let it settle before heading out the door to start hobbling down the coast road.
    The first thing I noticed was the strong breeze, great...then the sun, deadly :(

I wasn't feeling the love for this by the end of the warm up but I got on with things anyway, heading off to lap Fairview Park - pretty sure I got a shout out from a joyriding boardsie on the way, couldn't quite see who it was but the voice sounded familiar alright, apologies P ( if it was you?) I was in shock at how tired I was feeling and it took a few seconds for things to register!

Got the first couple of miles out of the way ok and then turned into the wind for the next few, I really was dreading this bit and it felt as tough as I had feared, again and again I had to remind myself to relax and stop working too hard against the wind. Tipped on along the coast and was relieved to get out of the wind as I turned in at Kilbarrack - straight into the long drag there, which really tested the mental resolve I have to admit, left turn at the top, ran hard along the bumpy route and I finished up in Raheny.

Tough, tough session and I can't put my finger on why, maybe the wind, the relative warmth, the route, too much sleep (:confused:) or maybe this is how it is when you are running sessions towards the end of marathon training? Either way, it felt like a real test and I was glad to tough it out to the end.

12 miles for the day

I would guess this is the most likely. Fatigue would be normal, just be sure to monitor it. Very impressive training, so consistent. Keep it going.

Monday

Lovely run home after work, nice weather, nice and easy pace and lots of runners out cramming the miles in !

Legs felt good and the bit of sunshine always makes things that bit more pleasant out on the coast.

6 miles @8.15 min\miles

Tuesday

LSR night tonight and the plan was for 22 miles easy. For the first time in a long time, I was looking forward to this one - maybe because it had "easy" written after the "22" on the plan, funny how the mind works!

Anyway, got going from work, dropped off the backpack after 4 miles then headed into St Anne's for 1 lap before doing 3 loops of a route around the outside of the park - I was afraid to mess the route up as I usually do on these things so left nothing to chance!

Felt good all the way to be honest, I normally don't enjoy these at all but I did tonight - all helped of course by the perfect night out there for running!

8:06
    8:21
    8:14
    8:17
    8:18
    8:22
    8:21
    8:19
    8:12
    8:16
    8:20
    8:09
    8:11

Wednesday

AM - Up early to head into work, decided to try out the new runners for this one and they felt nice and forgiving on the grass ...aahhhh :) . Legs felt a little tired from the long run the night before but I ran this at recovery effort so all was good.

4.1 miles@ 8.45ish

PM - Mental day at work, ate well and hydrated well though and headed off for home just after 6 with the backpack fully loaded. Legs were fine, tiring towards the end as expected but I took in an extra couple of miles in St Anne's which I always find refreshing.

6 miles@ 8.15 min\miles

10.1 for the day

Thursday

Plan was for 7 easy today with no run in the PM so I spent a little time doing some core work before heading out towards Raheny\St Anne's to get the miles in. Lovely run, thought about getting a few more in but the sensible part of me won that argument. The coast road and the park were calm and mild for this, not many people around either and it felt like I had the place to myself.

Stopped for a minute to watch the tree carvers doing their thing at the north eastern corner of St Anne's, really impressive stuff.

7 miles for the day

Friday

AM - 5.1 miles easy before work, took in the extra mile on the coast before heading in towards work. Really nice run, felt good

PM - mental day at work, we've a pretty big project coming to a head this weekend so after sorting through the dozens of last minute requests that came my way , I headed off for home. Another nice run, mentally refreshing as much as physically, reminded me of why I started running really.

7 miles easy

12.1 for the day

Saturday

Set the alarm for 7.20 this morning to get this done nice and early. After arguing with myself for a few minutes, I got up out of the bed, had a sip of water and headed out.

Plan for today was:

2 easy, 10 alternating 6.45\7.15, 2 easy

Lovely morning for it, nice and cool with just a bit of breeze along the coast. Headed off towards Fairvew for the 2 easy miles then got started on the faster stuff. I didn't want to check the watch too much over the first mile but when I did , I was still a bit a way from 6.45 pace so had to up the effort a tad.
    First few went very well, lapping Fairview park and heading back up along the coast. The 7.15 sections felt nice relaxed and the 6.45 sections felt tough but always controlled.
    Turned in at Baldoyle and had to work pretty hard up the drag here , maybe overcooking the effort a tad if I'm honest.
    Finished up the last 7.15 mile on the way into Raheny then ran the 2 easy miles through St Anne's ( passing the start of the parkrun on the way...balloons everywhere, very fancy :) ) .

Good session, tough towards the end but even then it was just a case of working a little harder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Think our paths crossed no less than three times this morning? Clontarf, Bayside, Donaghmede. That was me with the "hello again" the third time!

Nice run!

Advertisement