Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confessions of a never has been.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭gosh123

Think ole hurricane barney gave most runners a memorable experience out running Tuesday or Wednesday morning. Great report were u holding onto the tree in fear of been blown away .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

gosh123 wrote: »
    Think ole hurricane barney gave most runners a memorable experience out running Tuesday or Wednesday morning. Great report were u holding onto the tree in fear of been blown away .

Barney was acting maggot alright, the rain felt like stones belting off my face at one stage - I was hugging the tree for moral support as much as anything ha ha

Long time no update :o

Saturday

5 miles with strides, can't remember what time of the day this was at but I do recall giving the strides a good aul belt and enjoyed them. Fully recovered before each set ( 6)

weights and core work afterwards

Sunday

10 miles progress - 6 easy, 3 steady, 1 MP

Stayed away from the coast for this run and took in some good drags up the Malahide Road and through Raheny etc. and I could feel the strides in my legs as the pace increased :o

Enjoyable session all the same, not too taxing but enough to get the systems firing towards the end.
    8.15 ( pace - .5 mile)

10.5 miles in total
    Did a nice bit of stretching after
    Monday
    Recovery run home from work , kept the pace right down and the legs felt fine.
    4.1 miles verrrry easy
    pressups and core afterwards
    Tuesday
    Got out of work a little early which worked out great, ran home from work and left the backpack on for the duration of the run ( taking in a good bit of St Anne's park)
    7 miles @ 8 min\miles
    Did a fair bit of stretching before heading in to watch U2 for the night, pretty impressive stuff it has to be said.
    Wednesday
    Stayed off the booze the night before which was great, woke up a little tired but had that fresh "I didn't drink last night but still went out" feeling which was great!
    AM - 4.1 miles easy into work, horrible weather but got it done
    PM - 7 miles run home from work, not quite as horrible but the legs felt a little tired towards the end of this, maybe from being on my feet for so long the previous night.
    Thursday
    Planned session was:
    2miles easy
    [EMAIL="3k@hmp"]3k@hmp[/EMAIL]
    [EMAIL="2k@hmp"]2k@hmp[/EMAIL]
    [EMAIL="1k@10kpace"]1k@10kpace[/EMAIL]
    3 min recoveries
    2 miles easy
    enjoyed this session, even if the wind meant working a little too hard at times for some sections. Once again, I got off the coast after the easy bit and got some nice drags in. Was guilty of keeping an eye on the watch a little too much if I'm honest but still got the job done.
    10k section was a bit of a shock to the system ! ( but also a little quick)
    KMS:
    5.00 ( pace - 2.28 km)
    3.55 (hmp)
    4.04 (hmp)
    4.01 (hmp)

4.55 ( pace)
    3.54 (hmp)
    4.02(hmp)
    4.50 (pace)
    3.37 (10k)
    4.55 (pace)
    <!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->
    weights and corework afterwards
    Friday
    Run home from work - 5 easy miles, nothing major to report. Legs felt good
    Saturday
    Out bright and early to get this one in, lots of friendly runners out enjoying the manky weather too. Seemed to get out before the worst of it hit though in fairness!
    Kept it easy, skipped the coast after a few easy miles and headed inland.
    7 miles @ 8.06 min\miles
    Pressups, stretching and rolling after
    Sunday
    Planned session was:
    2 miles easy
    1 mile @ HMP
    1 mile easy
    2 miles @ MP
    1 miles easy
    1 mile @ HMP
    2 miles easy
    Enjoyed this and did my usual thing of coming off the coast after the first couple of miles, plenty of drags and bumps ( and wind !) along the way to keep things real. Found myself working but always in control during the faster sections

weights and core stuff earlier in the day
    easy week this week in the lead up to Waterford :D

....and my log has just gone a bit crazy with the formatting somehow, that's what I get for leaving it so long I suppose !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

That's some nice tidy running there, D. Hopefully, I will see you in Waterford but looking at those numbers I will be catching up with you afterwards rather than during the race :D

• Advertisement

FBOT01 wrote: »
    That's some nice tidy running there, D. Hopefully, I will see you in Waterford but looking at those numbers I will be catching up with you afterwards rather than during the race :D

Nothing like a bit of sandbagging to start off a Tuesday morning !

Duanington wrote: »
    Nothing like a bit of sandbagging to start off a Tuesday morning !

From you or me? :p

From you or me? :p

ha ha - nice try M !

Monday - rest

Tuesday - planned session:

2 miles easy
    3 x miles @ 6.30 ( 4 min easy between reps)
    2 miles easy

Got out of work on time today and hit the road with the backpack on, I completely forgot about the session and only realised when I got home, turned the watch on and went straight back out the door ( with 4.1 miles easy under the belt instead of the planned 2!)

I got straight into the first 6.30 mile and headed up Watermille road after about.5 mile, effort level went up a little but nothing too much.
    jogged back along my route during the recovery sections to make sure all of the 6.30 miles were up drags of some description ( some substantial, others less so) - again, just mindful that I run a lot of my fast stuff along the lovely flat coast, the big problem with coming off the coast is that I'm up and down footpaths and the ligthing is crap.

Bit of a tiddler this session, stressed the system a little but loads of recovery time between each mile.

4.42 miles@ 8 min miles
    then

9.42 miles incl recoveries and warmdown

Stretching and corework after

Monday - rest

Tuesday - planned session:

2 miles easy
    3 x miles @ 6.30 ( 4 min easy between reps)
    2 miles easy

Got out of work on time today and hit the road with the backpack on, I completely forgot about the session and only realised when I got home, turned the watch on and went straight back out the door ( with 4.1 miles easy under the belt instead of the planned 2!)

I got straight into the first 6.30 mile and headed up Watermille avenue after about.5 mile, effort level went up a little but nothing too much.
    jogged back along my route during the recovery sections to make sure all of the 6.30 miles were up drags of some description ( some substantial, others less so) - again, just mindful that I run a lot of my fast stuff along the lovely flat coast, the big problem with coming off the coast is that I'm up and down footpaths and the ligthing is crap.

Bit of a tiddler this session, stressed the system a little but loads of recovery time between each mile.

4.42 miles@ 8 min miles
    then

9.42 miles incl recoveries and warmdown

Stretching and corework after

Were them 6 30 miles into the wind 😠can only imagine Wat it's like on the coast it's strong enough in tallaght . Good session

• Advertisement

Were them 6 30 miles into the wind 😠can only imagine Wat it's like on the coast it's strong enough in tallaght . Good session

Thanks G. They were mostly into the wind - but not quite the full blast of the coast to be fair, I came in off it for a lot of the session - still pretty strong alright though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Good luck tomorrow, hope it goes well.

tang1 wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow, hope it goes well.

Thanks Tang, looking forward to it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Unfortunate about the cancellation tomorrow D.
    Will you reroute to Jingle Bells instead?

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Unfortunate about the cancellation tomorrow D.
    Will you reroute to Jingle Bells instead?

Hmmm, I dunno P - thinking about it alright !

Wednesday

6 miles easy after work, legs felt fine and I used my usual run home to get the miles in, tagging the little extra around St Anne's

6 miles @ 8 min\miles

Thursday

5 miles easy late Thursday evening, again kept things nice and easy with Waterford on the horizon.

weights and core in the morning

5 miles @ 8.05

Friday - planned rest ( which was just as well, I was working until close to midnight)

Got word in the afternoon that Waterford was off which was a bummer but obviously the right call. The week had been geared towards running the half but now it was starting to look just like a below par week's training :(

Toyed with the idea of a longer session instead of the cancelled half but the general consensus was that a shorter, sharper effort might suit better.

Decided to sleep on it and call it in the morning!

Saturday

7.1 miles inc St Anne's parkrun

Poor night's sleep, awake every couple of hours for some reason and I eventually slept through my alarm and woke up at 9. Decided there and then to get dressed, skip breakfast and head down to St Anne's to run the parkrun. The wind was howling outside but I knew deep down I could do with the harder effort, I have only raced twice in the last 6 months and haven't gone near 5k pace\effort over that time either.

Ran down to St Anne's, taking in some strides along the way, made it to the start line with a couple of minutes to spare and before too long we were off. I decided to completely ignore the watch and just run the legs hard, I made my way into 3rd position over the first 200m and to be honest, the rest of the run was pretty uneventful...the two lads ahead gradually pulled away as the race went on and I did the same thing to the group behind. The conditions were pretty ****e but I'm also a way off PB shape over 5k at the moment too.

I found the effort pretty tough going from the halfway point and while I knew deep down I wasn't digging deep enough to even get close to a PB, I was blowing hard. I did notice how my legs felt strong all the way around, coming down the last stretch for home, I was really sucking the air in as I upped the effort for the last time but there was zero feedback from the legs ( which probably means something to someone who knows more than me!)

Crossed the line and forgot to stop the watch for a few seconds...not that it mattered, a good effort which salvaged the week, it also serves to remind the body of how things feel down at that kind of pace .

Parkrun website has me as unknown but I would guess it was 18.45 or so

Went straight into a warmdown and headed off for home into the gale up the coast

7.30 ( strides)

Weights and core work in the PM, a small bit of stretching too

7.1 miles for the day

Sunday

After a day of shopping, eating and more shopping, I eventually got out for a run in conditions that are in complete contrast to yesterday - what a difference a day makes !

Nothing major to report on this one, 7.5 easy miles around Clontarf, Raheny and Donaghmede - off the coast after a mile then up and down the carious drags around the area.
    Legs felt good, hamstrings a little tight towards the end but felt good overall.

Stretching and pressups afterwards

This week was a strange one with the cancelled half yesterday, while the mileage is way down, yesterday's session made it 2 decent sessions for the week so there was still a bit of quality in there.

Small bit of travelling with work next week but I should still get a good week's training in.

Although Waterford is scheduled for Jan 9th, its down the priority list now with other target races to build towards.

.........Although Waterford is scheduled for Jan 9th, its down the priority list now with other target races to build towards.

Sure you can't leave it at that. Enlighten us!!

Sunday

After a day of shopping, eating and more shopping, I eventually got out for a run in conditions that are in complete contrast to yesterday - what a difference a day makes !

Nothing major to report on this one, 7.5 easy miles around Clontarf, Raheny and Donaghmede - off the coast after a mile then up and down the carious drags around the area.
    Legs felt good, hamstrings a little tight towards the end but felt good overall.

Stretching and pressups afterwards

This week was a strange one with the cancelled half yesterday, while the mileage is way down, yesterday's session made it 2 decent sessions for the week so there was still a bit of quality in there.

Small bit of travelling with work next week but I should still get a good week's training in.

Although Waterford is scheduled for Jan 9th, its down the priority list now with other target races to build towards.

Bit of bieber to get u motivated was it ðŸ˜

Bit of bieber to get u motivated was it ðŸ˜

What do you mean ? :p

• Advertisement

Sure you can't leave it at that. Enlighten us!!

Well the Raheny 5 for one, I live in the area and have never done it so I want to put that right.

Other races like Kinvara Rock and Road, Enniscorthy ( 10k) and Bohermeen are on the horizon too.

And of course St Anne's Parkrun !

Well the Raheny 5 for one, I live in the area and have never done it so I want to put that right.

Other races like Kinvara Rock and Road, Enniscorthy ( 10k) and Bohermeen are on the horizon too.

And of course St Anne's Parkrun !

Excellent. Am in for Raheny 5 myself. It's always a good day out.

Will you be continuing to work with the Coach for these? Will be interesting to see the kind of schedule and session you end doing during this period.

Excellent. Am in for Raheny 5 myself. It's always a good day out.

Will you be continuing to work with the Coach for these? Will be interesting to see the kind of schedule and session you end doing during this period.

That's the plan M - its a masterplan in the making right now ! If it were me, I'd be out doing hills, long runs, 400s\800s, tempos, long runs and squeezing sessions in all over the place.......not having any idea of the real cumulative effect .
    It served me well over the first few months of the year in fairness with decent PBs over 5k-half marathon but I need to kick on from there now and do it without getting injured !

All of this of course with one eye always on Berlin next year

That's the plan M - its a masterplan in the making right now ! If it were me, I'd be out doing hills, long runs, 400s\800s, tempos, long runs and squeezing sessions in all over the place.......not having any idea of the real cumulative effect .
    It served me well over the first few months of the year in fairness with decent PBs over 5k-half marathon but I need to kick on from there now and do it without getting injured !

All of this of course with one eye always on Berlin next year

Excellent. As always I will follow with interest.

Did you get accepted through the lotto for Berlin 2016? Must have missed that post:o Great event.

Excellent. As always I will follow with interest.

Did you get accepted through the lotto for Berlin 2016? Must have missed that post:o Great event.

I did! Apologies, I should have actually mentioned that earlier ! ( don't think I've mentioned it on the log yet). So for me, while I want to continue to make gains over the "shorter stuff" as it were, I want to do it in a way that puts me in the strongest possible position for September 2016

Early morning run into work, took it nice and easy and quite enjoyed the run really.
    Busy day at the office but chose the sensible route in getting the bus home as opposed to running.

Core+ stretching in the PM

4.1 miles @ 8.15 for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Sorry if I missed it in a previous post, but this mention of coach - are you not putting your own plans together anymore? Did you join a club in the end or have you set up a bit of personal guidance?

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Sorry if I missed it in a previous post, but this mention of coach - are you not putting your own plans together anymore? Did you join a club in the end or have you set up a bit of personal guidance?

Hey Laura - I started working with a coach back when I started training for DCM, I felt that I needed the bit of guidance to a) get the best out of each week's training and b) avoid getting injured!

After DCM we had a chat and agreed on a high level approach to the next 12 months so yep still working with said coach!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Hey Laura - I started working with a coach back when I started training for DCM, I felt that I needed the bit of guidance to a) get the best out of each week's training and b) avoid getting injured!

After DCM we had a chat and agreed on a high level approach to the next 12 months so yep still working with said coach!

Ah very good. I obviously missed that or just plain old forgot. Good luck with the not so new coach and planning, I hope it helps continue the progress!!

• Advertisement

Busy day at work today - it was one of those days when you blink and its after 6 so I was a little tired getting out the door ( and a little later than planned) for this week's long run

12 miles easy was the plan so I fired up the new runners and headed off for home to drop off the backpack, leaving the coast once I got that sorted. Ran a bit of winding route on this one to take in the drops and climbs around Raheny\Clontarf\Donaghmede.
    For once I got the route bang on and ended up at he 12 mile mark just outside the house :-)

Nice run, longest in quite a while and I was pleasantly tired at the end.

Stretching\foam rolling after

12 miles@8.07 min\miles

Advertisement